Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Futaba Anzu posted:

p sure it's intentionally different just to troll, and i don't think it's much to manually remember after you gently caress up once or twice

I mean, I don't run around with a Chaos Card terribly often and I have a dogshit memory, so it is actually hard to remember for me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I played Eden and started with a golden guppy drawing trinket, and then found Guppy's Paw in the first curse room... and the gold trinket counted for 2 of the 3 needed!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I finally got a Tainted Laz run good enough to take on the new final stuff, but on the last floor I kept crashing every time it switched characters. After 7 crashes (I wanted that goddamn kill), Living Laz suddenly got a D6 instead of How to Jump and didn't switch automatically anymore. I still had the option to switch with R1, but I didn't

I make it all the way to the end, beat the final boss and... nothing. No unlock. Just the ending cutscene

This was after two other runs that started crashing when autoswitching, usually around the Depths, an absolute garbage character

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Black August posted:

I played Eden and started with a golden guppy drawing trinket, and then found Guppy's Paw in the first curse room... and the gold trinket counted for 2 of the 3 needed!

Yeah that trinket is really cool. I think you lose the transformation if you drop it, so there's a little drawback, but there are very few other trinkets I can imagine being more useful. It's funny how good Guppy still is even with fly generation being cut in half

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
It feels like every non-Lost character rarely gets HP upgrades from boss drops but bosses will happily give just HP upgrades for the Lost several times in a row.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I finally got a Tainted Laz run good enough to take on the new final stuff, but on the last floor I kept crashing every time it switched characters. After 7 crashes (I wanted that goddamn kill), Living Laz suddenly got a D6 instead of How to Jump and didn't switch automatically anymore. I still had the option to switch with R1, but I didn't

I make it all the way to the end, beat the final boss and... nothing. No unlock. Just the ending cutscene

This was after two other runs that started crashing when autoswitching, usually around the Depths, an absolute garbage character
I had a similar experience. I did a Tainted Lazarus run and it kept crashing in the Corpse when the characters switched. When I finally won, I think I got the unlock but no completion mark. I hated playing this character even before that, and I'm not looking forward to having to redo the Corpse route.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
welp just lost a very promising beast run to rune bag launching my sun into the lava :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I finally got to The Beast (kept dying on Death) and it was really easy, even with 0.8 speed. I was expecting more...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I finally got to The Beast (kept dying on Death) and it was really easy, even with 0.8 speed. I was expecting more...

Yeah, the beast is by far the easiest part of that whole fight, weirdly enough. I'd personally rate it something like Famine>Death>>>War=Pestilence>>Beast.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The laserbeam will probably hit you once. But yeah pretty straightforward other than that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, the beast is by far the easiest part of that whole fight, weirdly enough. I'd personally rate it something like Famine>Death>>>War=Pestilence>>Beast.
I find war the hardest still. I haven't worked out what my movement pattern should be. I think famine is the most fun of them but pestilence is the easiest of the horses.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The laserbeam will probably hit you once. But yeah pretty straightforward other than that.

There are definitely a few gotchas like that in there.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

nah the laser beam is easy as hell to dodge once you know when it happens. easily the most predictable boss. the only thing you can't really do anything about are the falling spikes and that's so rare it barely makes a difference

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised they didn't make it shoot out bullet patterns while it was doing the stalactite chase but maybe they just figured that was too much after the gauntlet you go through. Even with that, though, the presentation is still sick as hell. It'd be really nice if Delerium/Hush got that kinda love.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

With the addition of golden trinkets, I'm surprised we don't have (and anticipate a mod for) super rare golden items. Either they can be doubly effective somehow, OR they could act like their older, more powerful versions if it's a nerfed item.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Eve B is really fun, but man, she really isn't designed for dealing with the bosses that combine bullet hell and boss armour at all.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

PIZZA.BAT posted:

nah the laser beam is easy as hell to dodge once you know when it happens. easily the most predictable boss. the only thing you can't really do anything about are the falling spikes and that's so rare it barely makes a difference

the laser beam is fine unless you have low speed and the fires line up such that you're dodging at the bottom of the screen right before it goes off :argh:

I still haven't seen the falling spikes

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yeah what i played of her was not particularly great, and im not looking forward to play more. seems like she can (with some luck) start snowballing real fast but idk

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

Tainted Lilith hugging her Incubus in the loading screens is really adorable. :3:

I genuinely cannot stop myself from going "aww 😭" literally every time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

backdoored my way to another beast clear with an unintentional character. what turns you into ??? on death, ankh?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Super No Vacancy posted:

backdoored my way to another beast clear with an unintentional character. what turns you into ??? on death, ankh?

Ankh and Broken Ankh, yeah.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I still have no idea what half of the new bosses are called because my muscle memory compels me to mash the space bar every time a boss screen comes up

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you hit Plum at all, do you have to kill it or can you still wait out the fight?

I jam the spacebar on every transition screen so I usually don't see who I'm fighting and just start blasting.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

If you hit Plum at all, do you have to kill it or can you still wait out the fight?

I jam the spacebar on every transition screen so I usually don't see who I'm fighting and just start blasting.
My friend apparently hit it bunch of times and still got the flute.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

You can still wait it out. She flies away if you don't hit her for a specific amount of time straight, it doesn't have to be a total zero-damage fight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think No. 2 is just a really good item. Unlimited bombs for secret rooms and you can turn the effect off entirely by tapping your fire key (or just pretending you have brimstone and using your muscle memory from that).

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah i like that item.
The only number 2 i dont like is your post history

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, if you pick it up without understanding what it is it Sucks but realizing that the bomb is tied to holding a button down for a few seconds and Not doing that helps. too bad the first time I got it I also had cursed eye

swear to god, when mods are re-enabled the one gameplay relevant mod i'm going to do is to either make the cursed eye not teleport you or just remove it from the item pool because i get tempted every time and i end up teleporting out of boss rooms three or four times during the rest of the run instead

hell, just make it only teleport you if you take heart damage, or something

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No Wave posted:

I think No. 2 is just a really good item. Unlimited bombs for secret rooms and you can turn the effect off entirely by tapping your fire key (or just pretending you have brimstone and using your muscle memory from that).
Yeah, although I rarely avoid using it since it does a bunch of extra damage - I'll stop firing after it triggers so I can get another one. The new visual effect means you will rarely have it go off without realizing.

It also synergises with bomb upgrades.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone made a mod that randomizes the music between the flash version and the rebirth ones?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just had an insane run unlocking tainted ???. I found Pluto in a planetarium on the first floor. Second floor I got guppy's tail in the curse room, a 5 red chest devil room that got me guppy's paw and a telepill to the I am error room, which had Terra. Later I got Fate, Member Card, Abaddon from the member shop, Holy Light from the angel room, and swallowed the new 'M trinket, that was a fun time. Deadeye somewhere in there. My luck stat was super high so I was finding a ton of stat up items from gold chests spawned by guppy's tail and annihilating everything instantly with Holy Light. Got the Guppy transformation on the 6th floor.

I still almost lost because somehow, during Dogma's phase transition, a second phase 1 Dogma spawned and I had to kill both phases of it in addition to the original Dogma to end the fight. There are a lot of situations where it's more or less impossible to avoid damage while fighting 2 Dogmas, so I only had 3 hp when I finished it off. Any idea what could cause that? My best guess is something to do with knocking it off screen with Terra.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yeah, gotcha as in if you don't know it's coming it'll getya. It is, of course, very easy to dodge once you know about it.

No Wave posted:

It's one of those items I'll always take if I see it early on but will usually skip after, like, floor 5 where the value of unlimited bombs for the rest of the run has gone down a lot. Also great in Greed mode.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 17, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
How did you get a planetarium on the first floor?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

flatluigi posted:

Beats me, I guess it just happens sometimes. It was adjacent to the starting room. Try the seed, although I don't know how seeds work across games with different unlocks.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

flatluigi posted:

It's a 1% base chance, and increases by 20% every floor you skip an item room. It resets to 1% after you enter a planetarium.

Don't go in to crawlspaces with Pluto, the ability to pass through obstacles also works down there, and if you fall through the floor beneath the ladder, you get sent directly to the Error room with no way back.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Psychedelicatessen posted:

It's a 1% base chance, and increases by 20% every floor you skip an item room. It resets to 1% after you enter a planetarium.

Don't go in to crawlspaces with Pluto, the ability to pass through obstacles also works down there, and if you fall through the floor beneath the ladder, you get sent directly to the Error room with no way back.

Yeah, that happened on the ascent! Pretty nice there, and Terra is great for finding crawlspaces. For all those games where you have both Pluto and Terra.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Acerbatus posted:

Has anyone made a mod that randomizes the music between the flash version and the rebirth ones?

yes
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1933285222

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

oh is that how no. 2 works. I got it on an otherwise pretty good azazel run and it killed me pretty fuckin quickly lmfao

edit: also I got a mod to change the thread title finally. I didn't get many suggestions but this one was funny enough. I wonder what the technical reason for having enemies die at negative health was anyway

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 17, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Is it just me or is Godhead incredibly overrated? 2nd time I got it and died on True Final Boss fight that felt like it should have been a slam dunk. Tore through the floors and bosses up to it. Just doesn't damage fast enough.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Godhead got nerfed in repentance. The aura around the tears used to deal 30% of normal tear damage 15 times per second, now it deals 1.05 damage flat 15 times per second. It's not a run-carrying item now, it's just a better spoon bender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

my lizard brain still beelines for it despite whatever other options are available in the room.