Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Wtf is a philosemite

A weeajew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i had my second pfizer dose on wednesday evening and tonight it feels like the inside of my body is on fire lol

like my immune system has just gone apeshit, this time

do get it though, friends, it's better than dying i am quite sure

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

crispix posted:

i had my second pfizer dose on wednesday evening and tonight it feels like the inside of my body is on fire lol

like my immune system has just gone apeshit, this time

do get it though, friends, it's better than dying i am quite sure

How was your first one? I had Pfizer and the first dose was basically fine, only very minor under-the-weather side effects, but I've been hearing the second one does you in. I'm going to get it either way but not really looking forward to the second go!

My parents both got AZ and were knocked on their arses for a couple days each lol

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

This Burchill thing is deeply unsettling. I have met people like that in the past and trust me when I say they do actually get that crazy far off look in their eyes when they talk about how great Israel / The Jews are.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ThomasPaine posted:

How was your first one? I had Pfizer and the first dose was basically fine, only very minor under-the-weather side effects, but I've been hearing the second one does you in. I'm going to get it either way but not really looking forward to the second go!

My parents both got AZ and were knocked on their arses for a couple days each lol

My second Pfizer was no worse than the first. Lead arm for 1.5 days, grotty feeling for a couple of days like a moderate cold, but that was it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Wtf is a philosemite
It's this
https://twitter.com/nathanoseroff/status/1382710079946907660

Or writing about wiping your blood on the 'title page of the Torah', which I assume means a bargain translation of some random poo poo she got from The Works. But still.

It's almost like a double bizarro version of MAGA idiots who buy ammo allegedly oiled with bacon grease thinking that they can shoot a Muslim into hell or something because they've got fifteen contradictory layers of brain smoothing going on.

And as with them, "making up the stupidest poo poo ever because their entire prefrontal cortex has been replaced with cocaine and spirits" is probably the preferable thing to believe for sanity.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

It's this
https://twitter.com/nathanoseroff/status/1382710079946907660

Or writing about wiping your blood on the 'title page of the Torah', which I assume means a bargain translation of some random poo poo she got from The Works. But still.

It's almost like a double bizarro version of MAGA idiots who buy ammo allegedly oiled with bacon grease thinking that they can shoot a Muslim into hell or something because they've got fifteen contradictory layers of brain smoothing going on.

And as with them, "making up the stupidest poo poo ever because their entire prefrontal cortex has been replaced with cocaine and spirits" is probably the preferable thing to believe for sanity.

lmfao so yes exactly what I thought

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I kind of want falafel now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Perfect Element posted:

Some kind of... Mega paedo?
Deedee Megadoodoo? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bnL1iPdQVuc

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Queen is burying her husband on the 69th day of her 69th year reign lol.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gorn Myson posted:

The Queen is burying her husband on the 69th day of her 69th year reign lol.

(Nice) ²

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I kind of want falafel now.

I guess we're both philosemites now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Wtf is a philosemite

Someone who believes all the same things as antisemites but thinks they're cool and good.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Oh my god. Jonathan Nunn from Vittles led me to an absolutely amazing, infuriating, and absorbing article about Handforth Parish Council, the origins of the viral video, and why Handforth (and England) are the way they are: https://amp.economist.com/1843/2021/04/16/whats-really-the-matter-with-handforth?__twitter_impression=true

Sad little men, who demand that everybody listens to them, because nobody else in their lives ever had. It's people who have never had a manager in their lives, nobody to tell them "stop being a little bitch, and do something constructive." Infuriating and enlightening read.

The type of person who says "government doesn't work and can never help anyone. To prove that, I will join the government, and obstruct every possibility for change".

That's the key: people who will block any change to anything at all costs. True conservatives, who sometimes do good things (block forests from being destroyed) but who predominantly just get in the way progress until they gently caress off from this mortal coil.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's that service that leats you dodge needing an account to read things?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

What's that service that leats you dodge needing an account to read things?

https://outline.com/PAfTUg

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
FT so probably paywalled

Banks are refusing to issue high LTV mortgages for new build homes under the new mortgage guarantee scheme. They think the houses being built are such overpriced poo poo that they won't finance their purchase even with state guaranteed debt.

Relying on mortgage lenders to refuse massive public subsidies because they think the government is mad and can see the PR disaster coming is the sign of a healthy, normal housing market.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Not even 9am and the fawning, grovelling and bootlicking is reaching epic levels

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

peanut- posted:

FT so probably paywalled

Banks are refusing to issue high LTV mortgages for new build homes under the new mortgage guarantee scheme. They think the houses being built are such overpriced poo poo that they won't finance their purchase even with state guaranteed debt.

Relying on mortgage lenders to refuse massive public subsidies because they think the government is mad and can see the PR disaster coming is the sign of a healthy, normal housing market.

Newbuild properties are such garbage that banks won't lend against them even with government subsidies lol.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Wtf is a philosemite

Made me think of

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Newbuild properties are such garbage that banks won't lend against them even with government subsidies lol.

I have to assume there's some kind of massive money-laundering scheme going on somewhere because the raw cost of building homes, per-unit, has only fallen over the last 20 years (every single material used is cheaper, labour is cheaper, and the methods used are even cheaper than LPS and the other bulk methods of the 60s) and the bits that have gotten more expensive are all more than covered by the ridiculous service charges*. And yet the booked cost is actually rising quicker than house prices - there's a low-rise, 20-dwelling (all 3- and 4-box "luxury" flats) development going up in Bow that is working out at a quarter of a million quid per unit. I assume that a lot of that is being done through self-dealing and other fun and games, but it makes literally no sense even with that.

* I'm now paying more, adjusted for inflation, in service charges on this house than my parents did in rent to the council before they bought the place. This is of course just another fun way that they keep the money flowing upwards, it's just one that people tend not to acknowledge because it's been such a slow build.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would it not be explainable by the increase in house prices? The materials value of a good plus labour is only loosely related to the exchange value after all, especially in a system as utterly stupid as housing.

Like they can sell them for more so they just make up things to spend money on during construction to make the cost expand to fit the sale value.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

It’s the price for the ground mostly.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mano posted:

Ironic given that if you buy one of the houses the ground doesn't come with it. You'll be paying an escalating annual rent for the continuing privilege of having your house be on that ground, followed by a £25k lump sum for a lease extension in 15 years.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have to assume there's some kind of massive money-laundering scheme going on somewhere because the raw cost of building homes, per-unit, has only fallen over the last 20 years (every single material used is cheaper, labour is cheaper, and the methods used are even cheaper than LPS and the other bulk methods of the 60s) and the bits that have gotten more expensive are all more than covered by the ridiculous service charges*. And yet the booked cost is actually rising quicker than house prices - there's a low-rise, 20-dwelling (all 3- and 4-box "luxury" flats) development going up in Bow that is working out at a quarter of a million quid per unit. I assume that a lot of that is being done through self-dealing and other fun and games, but it makes literally no sense even with that.

* I'm now paying more, adjusted for inflation, in service charges on this house than my parents did in rent to the council before they bought the place. This is of course just another fun way that they keep the money flowing upwards, it's just one that people tend not to acknowledge because it's been such a slow build.

It’s not money laundering. Last year Persimmon made £863m in profit off revenues of £3.33bn. That’s a profit margin of about 27%.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
There's some houses being built down the road from me that are literally just chipboard, insulation and a faux-brick facade on the outside. You could saw your way into them through the walls. I've got no doubt that they'll be a damp, disintegrating mess within 20 years. The acoustics must be god-awful too, I bet when next door takes a poo poo, you'll be able to hear every fart and plop.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's some houses being built down the road from me that are literally just chipboard, insulation and a faux-brick facade on the outside. You could saw your way into them through the walls. I've got no doubt that they'll be a damp, disintegrating mess within 20 years. The acoustics must be god-awful too, I bet when next door takes a poo poo, you'll be able to hear every fart and plop.

27% profit margin. The FTSE 100 averages 7.75%. One doesn’t make profit like that by making well-designed homes with high-quality materials and excellent workmanship. It’s hard to overstate how huge a margin that is for a large listed company.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mano posted:

Nope, this was just design, construction and fit-out cost.

OwlFancier posted:

Would it not be explainable by the increase in house prices? The materials value of a good plus labour is only loosely related to the exchange value after all, especially in a system as utterly stupid as housing.

Like they can sell them for more so they just make up things to spend money on during construction to make the cost expand to fit the sale value.

Yes and no, because the per-unit cost seems pretty consistent across London despite the purchase price being up to 100% higher in the "right" postcode. I was looking into this specifically (and specifically excluding land purchase and preparation, planning costs and s.106 precepts) because of the Aberfeldy Estate thing I've posted about a bunch of times before (TLDR - extremely polluted brownfield site with massive remediation costs that developers have spent upwards of £50m on legal costs to be able to build on because it's in E14). Miraculously the estimated per-unit cost is considerably lower on this site than on the almost identically-designed-and-built City Island development just down the road; strangely they seem to have found a bunch of "efficiency" in the construction that exactly offsets the planning and remediation costs to keep the same headline ROI.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

strangely they seem to have found a bunch of "efficiency" in the construction that exactly offsets the planning and remediation costs to keep the same headline ROI.

"We're ensuring that community is at the centre of everything we do.
To make this happen, we've set up shared hygiene areas, where you can meet, mingle and make friends while you poo poo, shower and shave."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

the first one was fine until the saturday afternoon when i started to feel decidedly poo poo and i had a headache unlike any i've had before (even as a migraine sufferer). it was an intense, penetrating pain right in the middle of my pate and painkillers hardly touched it. even when it stopped being so intense it lingered for a good week or so

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Not even 20 years. Theres a huge amount of new build flats that are obviously water damaged on the facades after the first winter.

Theres a fascinating youtube page run by a new build snagging company who show some of the absolute cowboy things going on right now like fake weep vents in cavity walls, missing every other pack of cavity wall insulation. You know just shocking shoddy cost cutting workmanship.

I would say any house built since 2010 will be lucky to make it to 2050.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

serious gaylord posted:

Not even 20 years. Theres a huge amount of new build flats that are obviously water damaged on the facades after the first winter.

Theres a fascinating youtube page run by a new build snagging company who show some of the absolute cowboy things going on right now like fake weep vents in cavity walls, missing every other pack of cavity wall insulation. You know just shocking shoddy cost cutting workmanship.

I would say any house built since 2010 will be lucky to make it to 2050.

Got a link to that youtube? Sounds relevant to my interests.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Does anyone know why the side effects for these vaccines are so common?. I'm not sure if my own experience is the norm, but I've had plenty of vaccines over the years as a child and an adult, and I can't remember getting any sort of side effect even once from any vaccine I've had in the past. So it seems kind of odd to me that this vaccine produces such pronounced effects routinely

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1383155864966737923

For whoever posted the Streamline Tower Bridge a few months ago - turns out that there were even sillier proposals.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It seems like there's zero recourse in any of this, so the builders are completely incentivised to cheat buyers as much as possible.

Buy a flat that turns out to have been a completely fraudulent construction job? Tough poo poo, you're on the hook for the repairs unless you've got the money to spare for a court battle that you've got a good chance of losing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Reveilled posted:

Does anyone know why the side effects for these vaccines are so common?. I'm not sure if my own experience is the norm, but I've had plenty of vaccines over the years as a child and an adult, and I can't remember getting any sort of side effect even once from any vaccine I've had in the past. So it seems kind of odd to me that this vaccine produces such pronounced effects routinely

i had a meningitis vaccine when i was 15 and it was a lot like this

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Reveilled posted:

They're not actually side effects; it's how you feel while your RNA is being turned into lizard DNA :tinfoil:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bobstar posted:

Got a link to that youtube? Sounds relevant to my interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib80f4VO3Fc

A lot of the clips come from their tik tok vids so its not super high production. Info gets across though.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

kingturnip posted:

They're not actually side effects; it's how you feel while your RNA is being turned into lizard DNA :tinfoil:

it's scary how widespread that kind of poo poo is now. My mum has a friend well into her 60s who is completely taken in by the GUBMIN WANT 2 MAKE US ALL STERILE AND GAY AND STUPID poo poo. her facebook is apparently like a david icke book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib80f4VO3Fc

A lot of the clips come from their tik tok vids so its not super high production. Info gets across though.

Wonderful that nowadays you can have the authentic experience of living in a 100 year old house where nothing is square or straight on a property built last year.