Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ArmZ posted:

the Indian point nuclear power plant is being shut down at the end of the month for no reason

atomz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lmfaoooo

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

indigi posted:

what does their “left turn” consist of

deleted original was at twitter.com/crushingbort/status/463132110006784000 )

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Biplane posted:

Probably a solid 50% of people think we can have little a genocide, as a treat.

Well yeah obviously we're going to be using suspected crypto mining as a reason to invade countries while our entire petroleum industry is burning the world down for another sweet link in the blockchain

It's not crypto though when we do it, it's sparkling fiat currency

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

indigi posted:

what does their “left turn” consist of

I'm guessing it's vocally (but not actually) supporting centrist positions like a slight minimum wage increase or not being allowed to fire people for being black or gay. And you know that once you're forced to not fire people for being gay, it's a short slippery slope to being required to pay those people to sit around doing nothing, which kills capitalism.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Cruelty Is The Point

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
yeah but in america people largely think leftist means liberal

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

food stamp rules are loving bonkers that way. For example you can grab one of those precooked rotisserie chickens if you want as long as it got cold and old first. Anything hot is just right out. but also better hope the grocery store or wherever has a different sku for the cold/old ones or their register might not let you pay for it with ebt lmao

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

the average snap recipient gets about $1.39 per meal. the US rules!

wic is a pain in the rear end too. when i was a teller/bag boy, id often have to tell some poor mother that she can't have this juice, but you can have that juice and id have to go get it for her. you'd also have to do two transactions if you were getting wic items and you also bought other stuff. just aggravating and i think that's the point

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Eat This Glob posted:

the average snap recipient gets about $1.39 per meal. the US rules!

wic is a pain in the rear end too. when i was a teller/bag boy, id often have to tell some poor mother that she can't have this juice, but you can have that juice and id have to go get it for her. you'd also have to do two transactions if you were getting wic items and you also bought other stuff. just aggravating and i think that's the point

I'm sure this varies by region and store, but in stores with modern registers, the days of cashiers manually deciding what is covered and what isn't are over. Scan your stuff, swipe your SNAP card, it automatically totals up what is eligible and whats not, and uses what it can from the SNAP account. If its not 100% covered then you get another prompt "hey you owe this much as the balance" just like any other 2 part payment

Both of my kids got their very own SNAP cards last week with like $100 on one and $400 on the other! With the schools not serving lunch for shorter days of in-person learning, this is an alternative to sending home packaged meals apparently

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
It's 100% the point. Also they love that it often causes errors and delays. You're shamed wherever you use the benefits.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Saw an argument about this at a place near me where a chicken cesar salad was fine, but getting it with extra chicken made it a hot meal and disqualified it. It's dumb as hell

e: to be extra clear, it was refrigerated prepack chicken, hadn't been hot since the packing plant

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I'm sure this varies by region and store, but in stores with modern registers, the days of cashiers manually deciding what is covered and what isn't are over. Scan your stuff, swipe your SNAP card, it automatically totals up what is eligible and whats not, and uses what it can from the SNAP account. If its not 100% covered then you get another prompt "hey you owe this much as the balance" just like any other 2 part payment

Both of my kids got their very own SNAP cards last week with like $100 on one and $400 on the other! With the schools not serving lunch for shorter days of in-person learning, this is an alternative to sending home packaged meals apparently

WIC and SNAP are different. WIC gives out vouchers like

where only certain items are valid due to a bunch of dumb reasons, so if you pick the pack of cheese that's 15.4oz, it won't work. And they have to be done as separate transactions, with all the speed of writing a check for 1-4 items, then also checking out with your normal items.

SNAP/EBT on cards is really simple and easy to use now.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rabbi Tupac posted:

It's 100% the point. Also they love that it often causes errors and delays. You're shamed wherever you use the benefits.

I probably have to implement it for a customer at work soon lol

Love 2 program the Shame Computer

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

jetz0r posted:

WIC and SNAP are different. WIC gives out vouchers like

where only certain items are valid due to a bunch of dumb reasons, so if you pick the pack of cheese that's 15.4oz, it won't work. And they have to be done as separate transactions, with all the speed of writing a check for 1-4 items, then also checking out with your normal items.

Here's your voucher for one poverty shaming

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Oldest Man posted:

those "35% MORE!" and shaved down product sizes won't qualify. some stores only have 1 valid item for a category, so if it runs out a manager has to do some exception transaction on the closest neighbor item.

the person i know who used it said there was a store next to the wic office setup solely with wic sizes and brands, and that was the only thing that really made it bearable to use.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
shaming is good. poverty is a moral failing it says right so in the bible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious posted:

shaming is good. poverty is a moral failing it says right so in the bible

Did you know that the eye of a needle was the gate to Jerusalem and so camels can pass through it very easily? It's true!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The bit about camels and the eye of a needle is actually referring to a narrow gate that each town had and futhermore

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The eye of the needle thing is just an old Saud complaining about being too girthy for his child bride.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

jetz0r posted:

really simple and easy to use doing a lot of work here

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

really simple and easy to use doing a lot of work here

ebt transactions are roughly the same as using a debit card, maybe one more A or B choice on the card reader terminal.

the rest of the ebt system and the paperwork is a god drat confusing clusterfuck. but i can swipe the card, pick a couple options, and enter my pin to pay for groceries after jumping through all the hoops to get to that point.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

jetz0r posted:

ebt transactions are roughly the same as using a debit card, maybe one more A or B choice on the card reader terminal.

the rest of the ebt system and the paperwork is a god drat confusing clusterfuck. but i can swipe the card, pick a couple options, and enter my pin to pay for groceries after jumping through all the hoops to get to that point.

yeah, having grown up with physical food stamps whose parents made their 10 year old do the grocery shopping (and return cans for deposit), id have killed for an ebt card. poo poo was embarassing. in hindsight, the entire town was fuckin' broke so i don't think anyone cared all that much. ebt cards were a thing when i worked in the same grocery store i was made to shop at as a child.

the wic vouchers can suck eggs (large, not medium. can't get a half-dozen, must be a dozen) though. poo poo exists just to be a pain in the rear end and shame folks.

as an aside, does the USDA still hand out white label foodstuffs like fruit cocktail and government cheese? i havent seen that since the late 80s when I was a kid. powdered milk, sickly sweet canned fruit, and concord grape jelly/grape juice still haunt me in my 30s. peanut butter is still my jam though

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

The Oldest Man posted:

I worked as a bag boy at a grocery store 23 years ago and WIC made me feel horrible even then. as stated every transaction would take 3x as long because oh no that’s the white people cheese, not the ... cheese

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Isn’t any woman that’s pregnant or with small children eligible for WIC? Why is it a shame if you use it if it’s just to help supplement all women? Seems dumb NOT to use it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Isn’t any woman that’s pregnant or with small children eligible for WIC? Why is it a shame if you use it if it’s just to help supplement all women? Seems dumb NOT to use it

No. It’s a means tested program

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Because people that use welfare are bad people op. Haven't you been paying attention?

edit: but not corps tho, they EARN their govt handouts

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In theory there's no shame in being poor and on welfare. In real life, people get actively shamed for using anything associated with being poor, regardless of actual income. And apparently, the American welfare systems are designed to be cumbersome so the entire line will know that the person is A Poor and get slightly annoyed about The Poors taking longer than Paying Customers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Greatbacon posted:

Because people that use welfare are bad people op. Haven't you been paying attention?

edit: but not corps tho, they EARN their govt handouts

I work for chuds who have been opposed to the stimulus checks because "where's the money come from Len?" but only for individuals. They don't have any bad opinions about the corporate bailouts. And of course my answer of "by making the rich pay their taxes, not even at a hiked up rate just some taxes" isn't a possibility

I did find out recently that the reason we took no money as a company is apparently because by accepting the government money you open up for the possibility to unionize? I don't know how true that actually is though.

Edit: don't forget that there's also a (hopefully) silent judgement from the cashier about how people on EBT get to buy steak or lobster or whatever the gently caress food they decide is luxury. When I worked at walmart the people who ran registers had a lot of opinions about that

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I only witnessed the WIC thing once in California and it was a young mother holding up the line because her voucher specified she could only get a certain size milk product - luckily the store had a shelf of WIC qualifying products near the registers, but the cashier was basically shaming her while the people in line groaned about the poor person in front of the line

MorrisBae has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Apr 17, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

WIC is useless and should be rolled into EBT.
There is no reason why paper vouchers are necessary to make sure a gallon of milk, a bag of brown rice or wheat bread, two cans of tuna, and $10 in fruit and vegetable get purchased every two weeks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

i am harry posted:

WIC is useless and should be rolled into EBT.
There is no reason why paper vouchers are necessary to make sure a gallon of milk, a bag of brown rice or wheat bread, two cans of tuna, and $10 in fruit and vegetable get purchased every two weeks.

Yeah, just give people the money and let them decide how to spend them, no system, just deposit into their accounts. Also make welfare enough for a life. And I guess you also need government bank accounts for everyone because America.

I mean, over here in Denmark, bank accounts are pretty much universal and welfare is just the (small) deposit, and I can't tell if the person in front of me is in welfare, miserly or just has bad taste in food.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A major part of why food assistance sucks in the US is because it's compromises all the way down

Food stamps is forever tired to the "farm bill" so that republicans don't end welfare and democrats don't end bloated farm subsidies

Trying to alter a functional (if lovely) program like WIC opens it up to being destroyed instead, if not outright by the legislature, then by giving the courts new verbage to litigate and rule unconstitutional for reasons which are, so to speak, pure applesauce

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

A major part of why food assistance sucks in the US is because it's compromises all the way down

Food stamps is forever tired to the "farm bill" so that republicans don't end welfare and democrats don't end bloated farm subsidies

Trying to alter a functional (if lovely) program like WIC opens it up to being destroyed instead, if not outright by the legislature, then by giving the courts new verbage to litigate and rule unconstitutional for reasons which are, so to speak, pure applesauce
Democrats are 1000% on-board on bloated farm subsidies.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey here's a crazy idea what if everyone is entitled to getting fed and you don't need to have any credentials beyond a pulse for that right

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
starve dick cheney sgtm

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

Democrats are 1000% on-board on bloated farm subsidies.

In reality perhaps but the point is that GOP voters think dems only care about urban minorities and farm dollars do go disproportionately to red states

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BonHair posted:

Yeah, just give people the money and let them decide how to spend them, no system, just deposit into their accounts. Also make welfare enough for a life. And I guess you also need government bank accounts for everyone because America.

I mean, over here in Denmark, bank accounts are pretty much universal and welfare is just the (small) deposit, and I can't tell if the person in front of me is in welfare, miserly or just has bad taste in food.

I'm all three baby :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

The Bloop posted:

In reality perhaps but the point is that GOP voters think dems only care about urban minorities and farm dollars do go disproportionately to red states

Most people in rural areas especially red states in general aren't farmers and don't see any benefit from the farm bill. The farm bill is supported by the gop for the same reason they support most things, it helps big corps. Of course that's all the dems care about too they just put up some window dressing as a distraction.