Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

So how long does the wild shrieking phase last? I can’t tell if baby is upset, amused, or just trying out his voice!

For a little while I thought I gave birth to a wolf because she learned to howl and growl. She’s 6 months and not shrieking as much anymore.

Now she’s my little crocodile because she death rolls on the changing table and has scaly skin patches due to her excema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Nessa posted:

For a little while I thought I gave birth to a wolf because she learned to howl and growl. She’s 6 months and not shrieking as much anymore.

Now she’s my little crocodile because she death rolls on the changing table and has scaly skin patches due to her excema.

Oh lord, I’ve been warned about death rolls! It’s so amazing how quickly babies learn and adapt. Mine went from a sweet grub to an aggro velociraptor.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

For those that breastfed/pumped what's the weaning schedule look like? Everything online just says "oh it's a personal choice" and doesn't really give a good idea of timelines.

Mini Pony is coming up on 11 months and we would like to have him to be totally weaned to bottles by his 1st birthday, as well as having completely stopped pumping by then.

Currently when he's at daycare he is BF in the morning, gets three bottles 7oz during the day, and then gets BF in the evening (in addition to three meals a day). Non daycare days he is BF only. I was thinking that it would be easiest to first make every day a daycare day with 3 bottles, then ~5 days later switch the evening BF for a bottle, finally switching the morning one over a week later.

During that time we'd be gradually reducing pumping. We have about 800oz frozen but we have no real idea how long that will last because we don't know how much he eats in the morning and evening. I suspect it isn't much because the morning feed is about 30 mins after a pumping session (plus he chows down on breakfast) and he's pretty lackadaisical about the evening feed. The goal is to get him over the 1 year mark before running out since then we can go straight to cow's milk.

We were doing pumped breastmilk and formula for our twins until 12 months. Right at 12 months we transitioned from breastmilk/formula to cow’s milk over the course of a week (2 bottles of breastmilk/1 cows milk for a few days, then 1 breastmilk/2 cows milk for a few days, then all cows milk). Our kids liked cows milk just fine and we’ve been doing it ever since with no issues (along with their solid food meals and snacks).

My wife was sick of pumping and we were done paying for formula so we made the transition as soon as we could. It has been so much easier since we made the transition.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Shifty Pony posted:

Currently when he's at daycare he is BF in the morning, gets three bottles 7oz during the day, and then gets BF in the evening (in addition to three meals a day). Non daycare days he is BF only. I was thinking that it would be easiest to first make every day a daycare day with 3 bottles, then ~5 days later switch the evening BF for a bottle, finally switching the morning one over a week later.

During that time we'd be gradually reducing pumping. We have about 800oz frozen but we have no real idea how long that will last because we don't know how much he eats in the morning and evening. I suspect it isn't much because the morning feed is about 30 mins after a pumping session (plus he chows down on breakfast) and he's pretty lackadaisical about the evening feed. The goal is to get him over the 1 year mark before running out since then we can go straight to cow's milk.

I didn't quite get the "go straight to cow's milk" part. You said you're weaning him off the bottle, right?

Ours went to eating mostly solids, apart from one breastfeeding in the morning and one in the evening, around 8-9 months. At one year she was on solids only. (Drinking water with meals.)
I don't think we're exceptional in our area; At our daycare, most kids who start are between 12 and 18 months and anyone still being bottle-fed during the day is the exception, not the norm.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
It's loving crazy how our 2.5 year old eats now vs about a year or a year and a half ago. We also have an 11-month old.

11-month-old eats basically EVERYTHING although it doesn't all end up down her throat, it often just gets spat/coughed/drooled back out. Also, I remember the 2.5 year old completely inhaling an entire costco teriyaki chicken rice bowl once, back in the olden days about a year and a half ago. These days he does not eat a lot of stuff. Apparently it's normal but holy poo poo, just eat dude! (no I don't say this to him, my wife says it's bad to get annoyed at him not eating, so I don't comment or anything)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

redreader posted:

It's loving crazy how our 2.5 year old eats now vs about a year or a year and a half ago. We also have an 11-month old.

11-month-old eats basically EVERYTHING although it doesn't all end up down her throat, it often just gets spat/coughed/drooled back out. Also, I remember the 2.5 year old completely inhaling an entire costco teriyaki chicken rice bowl once, back in the olden days about a year and a half ago. These days he does not eat a lot of stuff. Apparently it's normal but holy poo poo, just eat dude! (no I don't say this to him, my wife says it's bad to get annoyed at him not eating, so I don't comment or anything)

Yeah there was a very sudden cutoff with ours. In June at 1½ y.o. she was inhaling basically anything we gave her, including olives and pickled herring. Two months later, she was a normal, not-very-picky toddler. Funnily she kept loving pickled olives and cucumber but started rejecting the herring. :iiam:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I didn't quite get the "go straight to cow's milk" part. You said you're weaning him off the bottle, right?

Ours went to eating mostly solids, apart from one breastfeeding in the morning and one in the evening, around 8-9 months. At one year she was on solids only. (Drinking water with meals.)
I don't think we're exceptional in our area; At our daycare, most kids who start are between 12 and 18 months and anyone still being bottle-fed during the day is the exception, not the norm.

Sorry my brain isn't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment.

Getting him off the breast is the most important goal but dropping the bottle entirely will come either at the same time or immediately after. We've already got him drinking water from a small cup during meals and he is rapidly increasing the amount of solid food he eats.

It's really hard to shift mentally from "breast milk is a primary food" to "milk is just a drink".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
In my second-hand experience the hardest part of weaning was avoiding clogs.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

redreader posted:

Yeah apparently things they used to like eating, well, sometimes end up losing preference. My son used to love broccoli and blueberries and salmon and...ok well he doesn’t like those anymore. Some things survived like uber kinds of berries and such like that.

And yeah we did this Feeding Littles video course and it’s insane how much you realize your own parents hosed you up for food because their Greatest Generation parents couldn’t leave a plate with a speck of food on it since they didn’t know where their next meal was coming from (if you’re not from the US, I mean the Great Depression). My grandmother grew up with six brothers and sisters and really knew how to save food and use it in crazy ways—she in turn didn’t let my mom and my uncle leave uneaten food on their plate and so cut to 90’s me sitting at the table for an hour while my parents watched TV because my dad forbade me from leaving the table until I’d eaten all of my very well-done steak

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 17, 2021

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Putting a man on the moon, self driving cars, whatever. Show me a bowl that maintains its suction and can’t be thrown by a toddler and I’ll be impressed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nachos posted:

Putting a man on the moon, self driving cars, whatever. Show me a bowl that maintains its suction and can’t be thrown by a toddler and I’ll be impressed.

NUK bowls.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

PerniciousKnid posted:

In my second-hand experience the hardest part of weaning was avoiding clogs.

I thought that's what taking antihistamines was for? Doesn't it cut down on serum prolactin or something?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I really love how much easier it is to understand my kid now she’s 3. Tantrums may still be unreasonable but at least I understand their basis. We have proper conversations and she’s legitimately funny and intelligent.

Last night she woke up screaming from a nightmare and was able to tell me what had happened and what she needed to calm down. It’s amazing.

Later on she was out of sorts, really quiet at dinner, told us she was worried about going to sleep because she might have another bad dream.

So after bath time today we got out pens and paper and she told us what the monster was like. We drew it and then gave it clown shoes, underwear on its head and made it have a big fart cloud surrounding it.

She went to sleep like a dream after our usual routine.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I remember when cooking used to be a fun, creative, and enjoyable process. Now it’s a mad dash to try and dump some chicken in an instant pot or throw some food on a sheet pan before it spoils in the fridge as I hold a newborn while my toddler seeds the floor with tripping hazards and I hate it.

I was kinda seeing the light at the end of the tunnel from it but then we had a second and oh god why is dinner every drat night.

eta: currently eating a nutritious pop tart for breakfast :negative:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BadSamaritan posted:

I remember when cooking used to be a fun, creative, and enjoyable process. Now it’s a mad dash to try and dump some chicken in an instant pot or throw some food on a sheet pan before it spoils in the fridge as I hold a newborn while my toddler seeds the floor with tripping hazards and I hate it.

I was kinda seeing the light at the end of the tunnel from it but then we had a second and oh god why is dinner every drat night.

eta: currently eating a nutritious pop tart for breakfast :negative:

Alternatively, as a former bachelor who never gave a drat about cooking, learning to simply dump some chicken or potatoes in an instant pot was a nice painless transition to having to be the cook of the family since my wife is even less inclined to cook than I was.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband is mostly vegan. I'm eating keto for dieting purposes. My toddler has a milk allergy. My 8 year old eats like an 8 year old. Meals are an interesting adventure.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The slow cooker has been really useful while raising our infants (now toddlers?). When I find a few minutes in the morning between taking care of the kids I’ll throw everything in the slow cooker, and when we are ready sometime in the evening we’ll take everything out and eat. No precise timing is necessary which is perfect.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

when my twins were 1, oldest was 4, and two adults each age group had it's dietary needs, and I was making three separate meals each meal time, and I was cracking coming up with meals. I was trying way too hard.

now, a year and a half later, the kids all have the same meal, and I try to give them what my wife and I eat as often as possible, but I dream of the day I just need to make one thing for everyone.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Why is baby sobbing and throwing a tantrum today? I won't let him dive headfirst over the back of the couch. Sorry kid, I don't want you to get head trauma.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

L0cke17 posted:

Why is baby sobbing and throwing a tantrum today? I won't let him dive headfirst over the back of the couch. Sorry kid, I don't want you to get head trauma.
My kid does this too and gives me the strongest "gently caress you" look right before the tantrum

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Any DOC band tips and tricks? Kiddo is scheduled for evaluation this week, but the flat spot is pretty obvious so we're already resigned to it.

Already in PT for the torticollis that's causing it, and boy was it awesome to tell my mother in law "no more naps in the stroller, PT said it's the worst possible position for him." She'd been dragging him outside into the South FL heat every day, multiple times a day, for hours at a time. Shockingly, staying inside these past few days has done wonders for his gross sweaty neck rash and the eczema in his arm creases, imagine that!

This also makes me want to switch our pediatrician; we made an appointment back when we noticed the flat spot at around 2.5 months, he said he didn't think baby had torticollis and to try rotating him and stuff, and we'd check back in at 4 months. Fine, ok. We show up for the 4 month appointment, go through all the stuff, and he's like, well that's about it, anything else? Uhhh, yes, that whole flat spot thing we had a whole discussion about??? I don't expect him to keep intimate track of every patient in his head, but dude couldn't even be bothered to check the chart or his notes?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

The slow cooker has been really useful while raising our infants (now toddlers?). When I find a few minutes in the morning between taking care of the kids I’ll throw everything in the slow cooker, and when we are ready sometime in the evening we’ll take everything out and eat. No precise timing is necessary which is perfect.

9x13s frozen ahead of time are another great time saver. Pasta casseroles, chicken enchiladas, stuffed pasta shells, etc. We make 6 on Sunday and eat one a week.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Welp we are in the hospital L&D now for the birth of our second. It feels no less surreal than our first.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

life is killing me posted:

Welp we are in the hospital L&D now for the birth of our second. It feels no less surreal than our first.

hahah it doesn’t, does it? When our second was born I was like, wait a second what did I ever do with a newborn??? It comes back super quick though, really no time at all.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Good luck!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

majestic12 posted:

hahah it doesn’t, does it? When our second was born I was like, wait a second what did I ever do with a newborn??? It comes back super quick though, really no time at all.

The basics, sure, but you'll never stop wondering, "did the other kid do this? What did we do about it?" and also, "When did we start doing <thing> with the other kid?" Also it doesn't take long for a newborn to develop their own personality and start being wildly different, so that throws a huge wrench in to things. For example, we quickly discovered that our son just flat out did not like having a wet diaper, whereas his older sister couldn't have cared less.

I feel like parenting is constantly second guessing every decision you make even if you've done it successfully before.

edit: not trying to be pessimistic, but the point here is that no, you shouldn't know better just because you've done this all before, and that it's perfectly normal to forget a bunch of stuff and have to re-learn things. Remember, everything you did for the other kid was in the fog of having a newborn and NOT knowing what to do. You were in survival mode and probably very sleep deprived, so don't be surprised when it doesn't all click immediately.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 19, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

majestic12 posted:

That’s good to know, because I’m also no less nervous. This time we already have a toddler wreaking havoc in almost every possible way. With our son it took ~24hrs on pitocin before my wife was even beginning to get dilated and go into labor, so we ended up being here for like 4 or 5 days, now we’ve been here three hours and we will probably have our daughter in our arms in the next few hours.

The loving epidural was a fiasco as the CRNA hosed it up and then it had to get redone later by a different one; then a third one pushed too much and dropped her blood pressure so she started throwing up and it overall just sucked rear end for her. By the time she was pushing it was starting to wear off so she might as well have given birth without pain management. Hopefully this will be easier but it’s weird to think in the next few days we will have an infant again.

nwin posted:

Good luck!

Thanks! Today is gonna be nuts.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

DaveSauce posted:

The basics, sure, but you'll never stop wondering, "did the other kid do this? What did we do about it?" and also, "When did we start doing <thing> with the other kid?" Also it doesn't take long for a newborn to develop their own personality and start being wildly different, so that throws a huge wrench in to things.

Our newborn, for example, has a way more pronounced witching hour than his older sister did. Which let me tell you is a lot of fun while trying to cook, eat (lol), then wrangle a toddler dinner/bath/bed routine.

He does make more silly faces and is a bit more interactive during wake time, though :3:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Baby had that clear liquid spit up while he was wiggling it out in the crib, so I dragged him like 3 inches away*, used a tissue to soak the spot, and the bottom of his blanket to wipe his face. Everything is as it should be

* still on the inspirational machinewashable cover, he can experience sheets on laundry day

He just farted, and the wiggling turned fretting and a slight wimper is building. Guess I gotta press post before I explain our dope baby covers with inspirational quotes like "Happiness is being convinced you are loved" which is wicked dark and I love it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It was a burp. Big one, instantly softened his belly. The wiggling a are a big more impactful and considered, like actual stomps, a victory wiggle. Then it all subsides, as he just kinda stares at the baby cam for the next minute. Then the stomps and wiggles go, his oscillating between struggle cry and effort cry. Gotta press post. The next cycle will be

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Kirby you are very strange and l like you :)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

remigious posted:

Kirby you are very strange and l like you :)

same newborn buddy

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wooo, though I am not the one who carried and birthed this child, it really is insane how much easier and how much less time it took this time around. Over 24hrs of labor for our first and like hours of her pushing. This one? Like 9 hours total from when we checked in to birth. Two pushes. My wife was a total rockstar. Now she’s all about sushi.

Yep it’s still surreal. One second she was in there, next second she’s out here

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wooo, though I am not the one who carried and birthed this child, it really is insane how much easier and how much less time it took this time around. Over 24hrs of labor for our first and like hours of her pushing. This one? Like 9 hours total from when we checked in to birth. Two pushes. My wife was a total rockstar. Now she’s all about sushi.

Congrats!!!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah dude

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man we got tubes put in at 9 months after 3 intense ear infections. They were amazing but came out early at 22 months and boom instant ear infection. Now we're looking at another $2500 to get them put back in. Right when we're trying to move.

And then my oldest child had an endoscope on Friday. She had to be put to sleep. Luckily (so far) nothing detected but drat... Another $2500 or so.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Grats! Excited for all four of you.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Congrats. First kid is a trailblazer in more ways then one. Make sure they get popsicles as a reward.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At what point should baby be eating solid food without it being a massive struggle

Right now baby is coming up on 6 months and resists sweet potato puree to the point that we're worried about giving her feeding aversion

But we were out on the patio the other day having mojitos, and she just couldn't stuff enough of the mint sprigs in her mouth (but not eat them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Hadlock posted:

At what point should baby be eating solid food without it being a massive struggle

Right now baby is coming up on 6 months and resists sweet potato puree to the point that we're worried about giving her feeding aversion

But we were out on the patio the other day having mojitos, and she just couldn't stuff enough of the mint sprigs in her mouth (but not eat them)

Our first refused all puree, but it turned out she just did not like puree and went straight to nibbling on solid stuff at around that age. I recall her liking kiwis and oranges a lot at the time.