Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

`Nemesis posted:

just imagine the thrill of throwing a car battery that big into the ocean, those dicks at Autozone don't even know yet

Hybrids have been around for 20 years, you don't think they've dumped dead Prius batteries overboard yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nenonen posted:

You just fill the tunnel with sand and pay Boring Company to make a new tunnel next to it, bing bang bong

Nonsense, this is Vegas! Just leave it burning and you have the next Centralia and sell tickets.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
From the lower the road school of engineering, what if we take every existing Tesla and put it in a coffin in the ground now while we are ahead.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That would be unamerican. The capitalists have to salt the earth before we can gather it all to put into a hole in the ground.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A fleet of SpaceX rockets standing by to deliver a payload of sand with pinpoint precision to anywhere on the planet within minutes, airspace deconfliction and giving the Russian strategic rocket forces a quick heads up prior to launch available at a slight surcharge.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
If you put demolition charges every few hundred yards the Tesla Fire Tunnel becomes self-extinguishing. Just collapse the tunnel segment and smother the burning vehicles.

I'll concede there may be some property subsidence/damage issues to deal with post collapsing a tunnel under LA, but I'm confident we can blue-sky our way to a solution to that one too. Perhaps instead we fill the tunnel section with a quick solidifying foam?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

darkwasthenight posted:

If you put demolition charges every few hundred yards the Tesla Fire Tunnel becomes self-extinguishing. Just collapse the tunnel segment and smother the burning vehicles.

I'll concede there may be some property subsidence/damage issues to deal with post collapsing a tunnel under LA, but I'm confident we can blue-sky our way to a solution to that one too. Perhaps instead we fill the tunnel section with a quick solidifying foam?

Lithium fires burn hot enough to melt most components of concrete and the tunnel will work as a blast furnace to crank it up even more.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lithium fires burn hot enough to melt most components of concrete and the tunnel will work as a blast furnace to crank it up even more.
Sounds to me like the system will heal itself.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What city has the most tesla fires annually? I need a test bed to innovate my sand car dumpster fire extinguisher within, and also charge the city FD $50k to dispatch per dumpster box. I'll truck the remnants to some Nevada shithole so no one has to see it, so Reno.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Hybrids have been around for 20 years, you don't think they've dumped dead Prius batteries overboard yet?

the bigger the battery, the bigger the thrill

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

aphid_licker posted:

A fleet of SpaceX rockets standing by to deliver a payload of sand with pinpoint precision to anywhere on the planet within minutes, airspace deconfliction and giving the Russian strategic rocket forces a quick heads up prior to launch available at a slight surcharge.

this but they are equipped with grappling hooks and pick up the Tesla and drop it into the ocean (and explode themselves)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

darkwasthenight posted:

Reinforce the tunnels with steel beams and then fill them with jet fuel to put out fires.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

at the end of freshman year, some friends noticed that the dumpsters had a lot of furniture in them. they waited until most of the campus had cleared out, then set up 4 or 5 spotters and a very clear system of communication to keep anybody from getting killed. or arrested.

then they took a series of pieces of furniture, up to the size of a small couch, and dropped them off the 3rd-floor dorm balcony. the furniture explosions were fun, nobody got hurt, and they picked up all the pieces.

a few years after we all graduated, some kids were having a spitting contest off the same balcony and one guy managed to fall off during that.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Sounds like Teslas need to ship with onboard fire suppression systems.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

PostNouveau posted:

Looking this up and ran into:

:lol: even in an article about how they killed someone, they call it an "innovation"

I bet it's something petty like all the door handle designs being patented IP and not wanting to pay royalties out of spite.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I own the patent for car door handles, you're not allowed to use them without my permission

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I own the patent for car door handles, you're not allowed to use them without my permission

I don't give a drat. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kck1BpRwU4k&t=399s

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 18, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

i'm so loving mad right now

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2021/04/sketchy-future-for-elon-musk-inspired-d-c-to-baltimore-tunnel/

His Tesla tunnel in DC seems dead at least.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The big unveiling of the Las Vegas tunnel was met with a lot of laughing and pointing. I think people are catching on as to how ridiculous the idea was in the first place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I bet it's something petty like all the door handle designs being patented IP and not wanting to pay royalties out of spite.

you can't patent a regular old door handle; all the common, simple designs are decades (or centuries) old prior art by this point. the tesla handle they're talking about is the one on the Model S where it sits flush against the door normally and pops out with a little servomotor automatically when you unlock the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thaX-h4oTTI

elon really really wanted this stupid feature because it's ~technology~ i guess and that's what they're talking about. it's unbelievably complicated and 90 percent of the video results for "tesla model s door handle" are about repairing them or replacing the components because the plastic gears inside strip out and they break and it's just all stupid as poo poo.

for the model 3, they went with a cheaper version of the same concept, where the handle is flush and you push on one end and the other end pops out and you pull on that part. this at least is a purely mechanical design without all the motors and electronics. however it comes with its own problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HauVg7zvpPQ

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 18, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

What I don't get is why people believed it would be anything useful in the first place. Did they look at the tunnel he made and think it was just a first try and that the finished version would really look like the fancy video? It was clearly the best they could do and Elon thought what he did was a finished product.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Deteriorata posted:

The big unveiling of the Las Vegas tunnel was met with a lot of laughing and pointing. I think people are catching on as to how ridiculous the idea was in the first place.

I watched a video of someone going through that stupid thing and I was all "Who the gently caress greenlit this?"

Then I found out it was a Musk product (I had been doing my best to ignore anything Musk) and I was all "Oh this makes so much sense".

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

What I don't get is why people believed it would be anything useful in the first place. Did they look at the tunnel he made and think it was just a first try and that the finished version would really look like the fancy video? It was clearly the best they could do and Elon thought what he did was a finished product.
thats what a vc grift is all about. as time goes on you'll notice it more and more. its a dialed down dahir insaat

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sagebrush posted:

you can't patent a regular old door handle; all the common, simple designs are decades (or centuries) old prior art by this point. the tesla handle they're talking about is the one on the Model S where it sits flush against the door normally and pops out with a little servomotor automatically when you unlock the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thaX-h4oTTI

elon really really wanted this stupid feature because it's ~technology~ i guess and that's what they're talking about. it's unbelievably complicated and 90 percent of the video results for "tesla model s door handle" are about repairing them or replacing the components because the plastic gears inside strip out and they break and it's just all stupid as poo poo.

for the model 3, they went with a cheaper version of the same concept, where the handle is flush and you push on one end and the other end pops out and you pull on that part. this at least is a purely mechanical design without all the motors and electronics. however it comes with its own problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HauVg7zvpPQ

I believe other makers do flush door handles like that.

But Tesla also has electronic interior door handles with a manual override. You're supposed to use the electronic ones because they roll down the window slightly and the mechanical ones could cause damage because they don't.

https://electrek.co/2020/08/04/tesla-tiny-change-model-y/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I believe other makers do flush door handles like that.

But Tesla also has electronic interior door handles with a manual override. You're supposed to use the electronic ones because they roll down the window slightly and the mechanical ones could cause damage because they don't.

https://electrek.co/2020/08/04/tesla-tiny-change-model-y/

The interior ones (at least the ones I'd seen a couple years ago) were also recessed and somewhat hidden in the door which is even more loving insane than hiding the outside ones.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

oh good, we can focus on the OTHER pointless techno grift project for DC to Baltimore transit, Hogan's loving maglev

you know, while cancelling the red line, letting the purple line die from lovely contracting for the builder, and just... refusing to expand existing MARC commuter trains like a sane person would

gently caress hogan so very much for making a maglev, of all things, suck

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Clearly the answer is that Teslas should be required to have airframe parachutes.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Clearly the answer is that Teslas should be required to have airframe parachutes.

The parachutes are incredibly useful when they suddenly lower the road.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

KoRMaK posted:

i think thats all of them

Last I knew the other ones you mostly had to pull covers off the doors to manually pull a cable that would release the door latch, but the Model 3 rear seats have absolutely no manual reversion to open the doors if electrical power is lost. I'm sure it's really easy to remember how to open the doors manually in an emergency situation or to climb up into the front seats from the rear seats, and it shouldn't be a big deal anyways as long as you never have a battery fire.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Doesn't the Model 3 have an emergency manual release wire for the rear doors, but to get to it, you have to literally rip off the interior door panel?

Were I trapped in a burning Muskmobile, I would certainly have the strength - presence of mind is another matter entirely.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 19, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PainterofCrap posted:

Doesn't the Model 3 have an emergency manual release wire for the rear doors, but to get to it, you have to literally rip off the interior door panel?

Were I trapped in a burning Muskmobile, I would certainly have the strength - presence of mind is another matter entirely.

The Model S and X have methods for accessing a wire by ripping the interior apart. The 3 does not have any method to open the rear doors if the door handles don't work.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

You thinking of the Model X.

Model S rear door release: pull up interior carpet to expose the release wire.
Model X rear door release: disassemble the rear speaker grill to expose the release wire
Model 3 rear door release: there is no mechanical release. If the front doors are damaged and won’t open you need to climb out through the trunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01lXcD_Uz74

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
(The Model Y uses the same system [none] as the Model 3)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FCKGW posted:

You thinking of the Model X.

Model S rear door release: pull up interior carpet to expose the release wire.
Model X rear door release: disassemble the rear speaker grill to expose the release wire
Model 3 rear door release: there is no mechanical release. If the front doors are damaged and won’t open you need to climb out through the trunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01lXcD_Uz74

This is somehow a great analogy for libertarianism in general.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here’s someone demonstrating how to exit the Model X with the emergency pull. The doors are also heavy as poo poo and are very difficult to open without power assist. Good luck doing all that in a fire or in a lake!

https://youtu.be/nHHWv6uMISg

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
What pisses me off the most about it is the thought that someone could have a kid in a child seat in the rear, and be absolutely unable to do anything if the car lost electrical power.

I've come to the belief that electric cars are practical for certain use cases, I just wish someone would design them safely

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 19, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FCKGW posted:

Here’s someone demonstrating how to exit the Model X with the emergency pull. The doors are also heavy as poo poo and are very difficult to open without power assist. Good luck doing all that in a fire or in a lake!

https://youtu.be/nHHWv6uMISg

"Well that definitely seems like a problem for other people, but I don't plan on getting into any accidents!" :smug:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is somehow a great analogy for libertarianism in general.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Well that definitely seems like a problem for other people, but I don't plan on my Tesla auto pilot getting into any accidents!" :smug:

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

What pisses me off the most about it is the thought that someone could have a kid in a child seat in the rear, and be absolutely unable to do anything if the car lost electrical power.

I've come to the belief that electric cars are practical for certain use cases, I just wish someone would design them safely

Lol there are tons of safe electric cars that exist and are sold

Tesla is just a high profile scam for rich idiots