Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tiggum posted:

No. It isn't. If someone tells you they cut their finger and wants to know if there's anything they can do to stop it hurting, "cut off your hand" is not a solution. Technically their finger would no longer hurt, but you know it's not the outcome they're actually looking for.

So "give it a few days and see if it sorts itself out", as FCKGW said, is apparently the correct answer. I'd also check for malware and try a different browser. But "delete Facebook" is not in any way a reasonable answer to the question.

It's more like being dummy thick and having your rear end cheeks clapping every time you moved. You can remove your rear end cheeks or stop moving but if you do neither of these then they're still gonna clap.

So OP could stop posting or delete their account. Facebook is going to keep treating them as the product - because that is exactly what that they are - and avoiding Facebook is the best defence they have against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mano posted:

Also LOL Gotthard Massiv datacenter. You really believe that’s more secure?

Yes? Maybe tell me why I shouldn't, instead of being a smug prick?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
You should definitely look for malware. Surprised that took so long to be mentioned.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum posted:

No. It isn't. If someone tells you they cut their finger and wants to know if there's anything they can do to stop it hurting, "cut off your hand" is not a solution. Technically their finger would no longer hurt, but you know it's not the outcome they're actually looking for.

So "give it a few days and see if it sorts itself out", as FCKGW said, is apparently the correct answer. I'd also check for malware and try a different browser. But "delete Facebook" is not in any way a reasonable answer to the question.

Spend less on candles.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm looking to buy a belt from Leather Goods Connection. My current department-store belt has a simple rectangular trophy buckle of a modern design. Where can I find similar buckles? Searching for trophy buckles just turns up Texas/cowboy-style ones.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jeza posted:

You should definitely look for malware. Surprised that took so long to be mentioned.

We're all too busy telling them to delete their Facebook account, didn't you read the thread?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

Spend less on candles.

No.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

hooah posted:

I'm looking to buy a belt from Leather Goods Connection. My current department-store belt has a simple rectangular trophy buckle of a modern design. Where can I find similar buckles? Searching for trophy buckles just turns up Texas/cowboy-style ones.

You've posted this before not gotten any replies, maybe a picture of what you're looking for would help. Have you tried googling "plain rectangular trophy belt buckle" or something similar? Unless I'm missing something, this turns up plenty of results that don't have any cowboy poo poo on them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Human Tornada posted:

You've posted this before not gotten any replies, maybe a picture of what you're looking for would help. Have you tried googling "plain rectangular trophy belt buckle" or something similar? Unless I'm missing something, this turns up plenty of results that don't have any cowboy poo poo on them.

Ah, sorry. I thought I'd only posted it on the fashion thread. Here's a picture of my current (fairly beat up) buckle.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

hooah posted:

Ah, sorry. I thought I'd only posted it on the fashion thread. Here's a picture of my current (fairly beat up) buckle.

Human Tornada posted:

Have you tried googling "plain rectangular trophy belt buckle" or something similar? Unless I'm missing something, this turns up plenty of results that don't have any cowboy poo poo on them.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

hooah posted:

Try these guys? or here? Edit to add: or here?

There are some great things on Etsy, too. This store has really nice-looking (if $$$) things.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 17, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Yes, I did Google, and found nothing I liked, which is why I'm asking here.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Try these guys? or here? Edit to add: or here?

I don't like any of those styles; all the rectangular ones have that ridge around the outside.

quote:

There are some great things on Etsy, too. This store has really nice-looking (if $$$) things.

These two are more promising though, thank you.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh neat, I picked up a couple buckles from these folks in a pop-up store once. They are nice. They also weigh a ton, being made of solid metal.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
I am looking for help identifying an 80s arcade game based on my memory of it. Poking around in the Games forum is a bit daunting. Is there a classic arcade games thread?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Septic Knothead posted:

I am looking for help identifying an 80s arcade game based on my memory of it. Poking around in the Games forum is a bit daunting. Is there a classic arcade games thread?

You want this thread.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks for your quick response.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I have a floor lamp designed to take G9 bulbs. It has a single switch, a leading-edge* dimmer that rotates smoothly (non-stepped) from off through dimmed to max brightness.

If I buy a non-dimmable LED bulb for it, can I expect it to be OK as long as I turn it on and immediately crank it to full, or will passing through the dimming stages gently caress it up? If not, will it go bang or will it just reduce the life of the bulb?

* I think - I got it from a family member, it looks/feels cheap and buzzes when dimmed.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Yes? Maybe tell me why I shouldn't, instead of being a smug prick?

As far as I know, the security is not really any better than what you can get anywhere else, apart from being in a mountain. It certainly SOUNDS impressive. It’s certainly an argument you can sell (I know people that used it for that).
Having been to at least 3 other data centers, their security can vary between trivial (a key) up to full guards, chain fence, need id to get in, only 1 person at a time, whatever you desire.

Also burden of proof is on you that it’s more secure.

The mountain might make it nuke-proof if that’s relevant for you.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

In the UK we traditionally called this free indirect discourse, but I also saw/used 'internally focalised narration' as the slightly hipper French theorist option.

It was this, thank you

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are the poppy seeds used in food from the same poppy that makes opium? If so, do you have to get a special license or something to farm them?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Are the poppy seeds used in food from the same poppy that makes opium? If so, do you have to get a special license or something to farm them?

IIRC there is a low-opium culinary variety of poppy seed but yeah basically the same plant. Apparently some people will buy pounds of poppy seeds and steep them for a slight high, it sounds like some teenager erowid poo poo like smoking nutmeg but apparently it's a thing.

Apparently eating a poppy seed cake can make you test positive for opiates!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Badger of Basra posted:

It’s kinda like the difference between hemp vs the weed you smoke. Although it’s worth noting that opium isn’t made from the seeds, it comes from the fluid in the seed pod.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

alnilam posted:

Apparently some people will buy pounds of poppy seeds and steep them for a slight high, it sounds like some teenager erowid poo poo like smoking nutmeg but apparently it's a thing.

My understanding is that people buy "unwashed" seeds for this? But this is my vague recollection of some other forum post so it could be bullshit.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

alnilam posted:

IIRC there is a low-opium culinary variety of poppy seed but yeah basically the same plant. Apparently some people will buy pounds of poppy seeds and steep them for a slight high, it sounds like some teenager erowid poo poo like smoking nutmeg but apparently it's a thing.

Poppy seed tea works and is a great way to accidentally OD.

Badger of Basra posted:

Michael Pollan wrote a long piece about this issue in 1997.

https://www.wesjones.com/pollan1.htm

quote:

Last season was a strange one in my garden, notable not only for the unseasonably cool and wet weather - the talk of gardeners all for its climate of paranoia. One flower was the cause: a tall, breathtaking poppy, with silky scarlet petals and a black heart, the growing of which, I discovered rather too late, is a felony under state and federal law. Actually, it's not quite as simple as that. My poppies were, or became, felonious; another gardener's might or might not be. The legality of growing opium poppies (whose seeds are sold under many names, including the breadseed poppy, Papaver paeoniflorum, and, most significantly, Papaver somniferum) is a tangled issue, turning on questions of nomenclature and epistemology that it took me the better part of the summer to sort out. But before I try to explain, let me offer a friendly warning to any gardeners who might wish to continue growing this spectacular annual: the less you know about it, the better off you are, in legal if not horticultural terms. Because whether or not the opium poppies in your garden are illicit depends not on what you do, or even intend to do, with them but very simply on what you know about them. Hence my warning: if you have any desire to grow opium poppies, you would be wise to stop reading right now.

As for me, I'm afraid that, at least in the eyes of the law, I'm already lost, having now tasted of the forbidden fruit of poppy knowledge. Indeed, the more I learned about poppies, the guiltier my poppies became - and the more fearful grew my days and to some extent also my nights. Until the day last fall, that is, when I finally pulled out my poppies' withered stalks and, with a tremendous feeling of relief, threw them on the compost, thereby (I hope) rejoining the ranks of gardeners who don't worry about visits from the police.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Is there a general term for a piece of music that doesn't have lyrics? People use "song" to describe any piece of music, but technically songs have lyrics. I would never be enough of a pedantic weirdo to correct someone who used "song" this way, but I would like to know if there's a better word.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Composition or work.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Silver Falcon posted:

Is there a general term for a piece of music that doesn't have lyrics? People use "song" to describe any piece of music, but technically songs have lyrics. I would never be enough of a pedantic weirdo to correct someone who used "song" this way, but I would like to know if there's a better word.

instrumental

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah I've known some pedantic music professors who loudly insist on calling it "piece." Here is a lovely piece by Beethoven. That's one of my favorite Chopin pieces. Etc. Honestly I've tried to adopt it too because we all have a little :goonsay: in us, though I don't make a big deal out of it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

alnilam posted:

Yeah I've known some pedantic music professors who loudly insist on calling it "piece." That's the only other word I've heard for it. Honestly I've tried to adopt it too because we all have a little :goonsay: in us, though I don't make a big deal out of it.

If that song only has samples from other songs does that make it a song?

How about music + spoken word or quoted from movies?

I guess my small question is what makes words "lyrics"? Are all words that accompany music "lyrics" and thus part of a "song"?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Song is a noun derived from sing. It's something that is sung. I think the most etymologically true way to define it would be only if someone is singing. But again that's being very nitpicky.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The terminology really hasn't kept up with the technology.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Badger of Basra posted:

They’re the same plant.

The Opium Poppy Control Act of 1942 required that growers obtain a license from the Treasury, but that was repealed in 1970. Now it’s legal to grow them for ornamental purposes or for their seeds, but it is illegal to grow them for narcotics.

Stateside poppy farms are rare because when grown for its seeds, there are better cash crops, and for narcotics, it’s safer and more economical to smuggle the final product or a synthetic substitute.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

alnilam posted:

It’s unlikely now, at least in the US. In the 90’s the cutoff for the opiate test was raised by a factor of 6 due to poppyseed false positives. It’s low enough that it’ll catch anyone abusing opiates, but high enough you would have to be eating 6-8 poppyseed bagels a day to trip it.

The big risk is a test not using the DOT cutoffs. Almost everyone does but there’s weird edge cases where people think lower tolerance=better, like when they want a .00 on the breathalyzer instead of the DOT mac of .02.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

I have a floor lamp designed to take G9 bulbs. It has a single switch, a leading-edge* dimmer that rotates smoothly (non-stepped) from off through dimmed to max brightness.

If I buy a non-dimmable LED bulb for it, can I expect it to be OK as long as I turn it on and immediately crank it to full, or will passing through the dimming stages gently caress it up? If not, will it go bang or will it just reduce the life of the bulb?

* I think - I got it from a family member, it looks/feels cheap and buzzes when dimmed.

All I can tell you is my experience, which is that several years ago I put normal LED bulbs in my dimmer-switched dining room light fixture, and they seem to have suffered no harm at all from their brief trips through the not-enough-power-to-light-up zone.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mano posted:

As far as I know, the security is not really any better than what you can get anywhere else, apart from being in a mountain. It certainly SOUNDS impressive. It’s certainly an argument you can sell (I know people that used it for that).
Having been to at least 3 other data centers, their security can vary between trivial (a key) up to full guards, chain fence, need id to get in, only 1 person at a time, whatever you desire.

Also burden of proof is on you that it’s more secure.

The mountain might make it nuke-proof if that’s relevant for you.

:jerkbag:

The implication in your post was that it's less secure than other facilities, and that this is some common knowledge thing. At least, that's how I read it.

But sure, the mountain bit is not strictly relevant. The bit that is relevant is that it's hosted in Switzerland, out of the jurisdiction of the nosy USA, Australia, UK and so on, so they can't be compelled to hand over my data. Nor do they use the data for whatever new AI fuckery they can dream up, like Google.

Not that it really matters in my case, but it's the principle of the thing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

:jerkbag:

The implication in your post was that it's less secure than other facilities, and that this is some common knowledge thing. At least, that's how I read it.

But sure, the mountain bit is not strictly relevant. The bit that is relevant is that it's hosted in Switzerland, out of the jurisdiction of the nosy USA, Australia, UK and so on, so they can't be compelled to hand over my data. Nor do they use the data for whatever new AI fuckery they can dream up, like Google.

Not that it really matters in my case, but it's the principle of the thing.

If the US government actually wants something they'll send a polite letter to the swiss government requesting that they send a letter to the DC operators.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

As a resident of Switzerland, let me assure you that they are absolutely spineless when the US DOJ comes around. I have to sign letters from my bank every single year that says yes, I understand that Credit Suisse has a data sharing agreement with the US DOJ and the IRS and that the bank will provide them with an annual summary of my account. Switzerland isn't some freedom paradise, they're a bunch of bootlickers who will do anything to suck up to capital.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

My understanding is that Swiss law provides protections against that. If Credit Suisse turned around and said "no, get a court order" they'd be able to do that, but apparently choose not to.

On reading https://protonmail.com/blog/switzerland/, I guess they can be compelled to hand over data, it just has to be via court order.

And:

ProtonMail posted:

Nearly every country in the world has laws governing lawful interception of electronic communications for law enforcement purposes. In Switzerland, these regulations are set out in the Swiss Federal Act on the Surveillance of Postal and Telecommunications Traffic (SPTT), which was last revised on March 18, 2018. While parts of the SPTT are still in dispute and subject to various legal challenges within Switzerland (including a challenge from ProtonMail), the present interpretation does not subject ProtonMail to any mandatory data retention directives; nor does it enforce upon us a full obligation to identify ProtonMail users. Moreover, as a Swiss company, ProtonMail also cannot be compelled to engage in bulk surveillance on behalf of US or Swiss intelligence agencies.

Are they full of poo poo?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Credit Suisse want to do business in the USA more than they give a poo poo about protecting the privacy of their customers. There is no way that they'll give up access to that market which is something that would happen the instant they didn't play nice with US govt requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inceltown posted:

Credit Suisse want to do business in the USA more than they give a poo poo about protecting the privacy of their customers. There is no way that they'll give up access to that market which is something that would happen the instant they didn't play nice with US govt requests.

Exactly.

Proton, on the other hand, have an interest in fighting those requests since it's part of their business model. And Swiss law gives them a better framework to do that than US law, as far as I understand.