Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cpt_Obvious posted:

A lot of people on this forum, myself included, are of the opinion that there’s no daylight between reps and dems.

Regardless of his party affiliation, I’ve hated Cuomo since he vetoed universal PreK and I’m glad to see this whole thing go down.

I literally give zero shits about this because that's not the question. The question is whether or not it's laughable, this conspiracy theory that some loving Cuomo supporters have put up that this is some kind of maneuver to oust him in order to give Trump a state pardon.

I knew C-SPAM has gone to poo poo but if you can't make fun of Cuomo or his supporters anymore in the loving NYC/NYS politics thread, it's loving dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh whoops you're totally right I didn't follow the thread of the discussion back to the weird Twitter conspiracy specifically

also

gently caress you

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Mar 8, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

can they legalize weed and censure the governor in the same vote? both are past due

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
If cuomo legalized weed right now he might get outa this

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

President Goku wins every election.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

cardiacarrest123 posted:

If cuomo legalized weed right now he might get outa this

I don't understand why more dems don't unironically do this. Ralph Northam could've been like "but would a guy in blackface do... this!" and unveiled a legal weed scheme with clemency provisions for nonviolent offenders and a critical mass of people who were mad at him would've been like "well... I mean that's pretty cool honestly."

If Cuomo got on tv and said "we're doing the NJ plan and everyone can start growing tomorrow" this would end.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
no it wouldn’t

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

betaraywil posted:

I don't understand why more dems don't unironically do this. Ralph Northam could've been like "but would a guy in blackface do... this!" and unveiled a legal weed scheme with clemency provisions for nonviolent offenders and a critical mass of people who were mad at him would've been like "well... I mean that's pretty cool honestly."

If Cuomo got on tv and said "we're doing the NJ plan and everyone can start growing tomorrow" this would end.

Because they loving love cops and watching cops kill people over weed, and it's harder to do that if weed is legal

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

betaraywil posted:

My guess is the private prison industry would lose a lot of money.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

betaraywil posted:

Ideology. The answer is ideology.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i imagine there's plenty of behind the scenes wrangling and lining up of ducks to settle who gets all those profits

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i imagine there's plenty of behind the scenes wrangling and lining up of ducks to settle who gets all those profits

ya it's not too hard if you go to town halls with state senators to figure out that the obstacles to legal weed are basically the financial sector (can't use FDIC banks) and making sure that the profits don't go to waste i.e. people who aren't already multimillionaires

the other obstacles seem pretty trivial and its less a question of "if" than "when" and "how"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Gothamist forgot to uncheck RSS on their drafts folder.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:pray:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1370504124429705224

yooooooooooooo lets go

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

impeach his rear end already.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

impeach his rear end already.

narrator voice:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
can we keep cuomo around as a scandal katamari so when he does something stupid it results in something good

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'll let Cuomo hunt me in a most dangerous game scenario so that the resulting scandal gets M4A for New Yorkers

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
:siren: If you want more minute-to-minute help with vaccine booking and tips, come to the NYC Thread Discord's vax-chat channel https://discord.gg/8npxHaGR :siren:

It's opening to 30+ tomorrow 3/30, and 16+ next Tuesday, 4/6

We're very friendly and nice there! Check the pinned messages at the top for resources!

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
wow that's pretty early for Cuomo's 4th-run slogan

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hmbol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

any recommendations for a place to drop off clothes

not salvation army/goodwill/box in a parking lot. i'll drive just about anywhere if the cause is good

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

not salvation army/goodwill/box in a parking lot. i'll drive just about anywhere if the cause is good

Riders4Rights is having a spring clothing drive at McCarren Park on Saturday, 10am-2pm if that's not too far from you.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

A whole lot of local mutual aid groups sprung up, and I know mine takes seasonal clothing (or directs you to a thrift shop in the neighborhood or whatever). Just google <Neighborhood> + Mutual Aid and call the number. "Where can I donate x" is like 40% of the calls I get in a typical shift.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

So what's up with this Ross Barkan reporter? He ran for State Senate in 2018, got endorsed by AOC and one labor union, and he's been following the Yang mayoral campaign. He just published a piece on the Working Families Party:

https://twitter.com/RossBarkan/status/1383940624722710532

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Maximo Roboto posted:

So what's up with this Ross Barkan reporter? He ran for State Senate in 2018, got endorsed by AOC and one labor union, and he's been following the Yang mayoral campaign. He just published a piece on the Working Families Party:

I read a lot of his work, but need to leave this to the morning. He covers NYC politics with better historical depth and a more critical eye toward quantitative stuff than we usually get. But he likes to position himself as a Smarter Than the Left guy in a way that has begun to stick in my craw.

Analysis is usually good and critiques are valid, if not something you can reasonably act on, and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes good points about how the WFP runs after finding its niche under Cuomo and the machine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maximo Roboto posted:

All I know about the WFP is that I made the mistake of registering with them because on the surface they seemed closer to me than the Democrats and as a result I as (a) locked out of important primaries in the Albany area and (b) had zero control or input into their candidate selection because they barely have any primaries and always make sure to support the Democrat in most major contests in order to keep their ballot line. Justice Democrats have shown that their tactics, which, again, cheat anyone who registers with them from having any influence on NYS politics, are also not necessary to be effective, and might be in fact counter-productive. I think they should become a Democratic pressure group like Justice Democrats or shut down entirely.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
WFP can kick rocks after the Warren endorsement. useful idiots.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Matt Zerella posted:

WFP can kick rocks after the Warren endorsement. useful idiots.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The WFP are such establishment shills that after he was defeated in the primary by AOC, Crowley ran under their ticket.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The WFP are such establishment shills that after he was defeated in the primary by AOC, Crowley ran under their ticket.

That was more complicated than "they endorsed Crowley over AOC," and it was procedural bullshit set up to keep the Democratic machine going. So they were kind of victims of establishment bullshit in that specific situation.

But it wouldn't have come up if they hadn't endorsed Crowley in the first place so w/e.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lol rip nyc

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1384197828914778112

26% still undecided

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I fuckin hate Andrew Yang

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

"Still"? Undecided has been trending up lol.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

In Training posted:

All my homies hate Andrew Yang.

Tulip posted:

"Still"? Undecided has been trending up lol.

This is a good thing, it represents the fact that people have started to pay attention to the race, and it's moving past pure name recognition, but also that the campaign has more time to settle and for people to actually be convinced by one or another candidate.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

In Training posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet