Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

No big company would buy WWE. It’s loving worthless without a carney scamming people for billions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The delicious, delicious Hours of Content will absolutely get someone to buy it down the line. I can only see the streaming service wars somehow ending so badly, that WWE itself is sold for a fraction of the peacock deal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I used to think Amazon might be a dark horse to buy WWE because WWE would be kind of perfect as they emphasize Prime video more and more. The library is the kind of value add they like to use to promote Prime, and the PPVs are the new live content. For a service with a huge install base it seems like a perfect way to add value for subscribers and maybe add a few more at the margins.

But instead they got the rights to Thursday Night NFL which seems like it might not have as much value for them as say Peacock (who need new subscribers badly) but Peacock went with the big WWE deal instead (which doesn't have the fanbase to add a ton of subs.)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

No big company would buy WWE. It’s loving worthless without a carney scamming people for billions.

The sale would be the final and biggest scam.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Raw and Smackdown are still good ratings but if AEW keeps above a million it'll obviously be a much better target both cost and content wise

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
But Tony Khan will never sell, he's worse than a carny - he's a fan.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The only benefit to a network is all the content and owning a "sport" that you don't have to worry about going to any other networks. But I also don't think most networks want to be in the business of arranging touring or any of the logistics behind weekly events. Better to just pay the carny people to underpay their wrestlers and handle that for you

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Raw and Smackdown are still good ratings but if AEW keeps above a million it'll obviously be a much better target both cost and content wise

I’m sure that wwe will try to put another show on Wednesday to stem AEW ratings.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Smackdown is really borderline right now. It's demos are generally tied for 2nd on the night, and this week they were third losing to a CBS show. But even still, given the money invested in it if Fox or NBC could buy WWE for 5 billion they absolutely would and it would be a good deal given the nature of television.

But if AEW is doing .4-.5 demos going forward that TNT contract is going to look like even more of a bargain. And while it's a bargain it came at the perfect time for AEW so I doubt they mind too much.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I could see them maybe moving SmackDown to Wednesday nights if FOX let's them

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blunt posted:

When the network deal is up for renewal in 5 years Comcast will buy the whole company. Two years and one scandal later they'll cancel Raw and just mothball WWE.

A limited selection of past PPVs will be licenced to *spins wheel* the Roku channel.

This is how I honestly seeing things end.

That family is stupid enough to sell their empire for a couple bucks.

TV Zombie posted:

I’m sure that wwe will try to put another show on Wednesday to stem AEW ratings.

They could put Main Event on Wednesdays and I’m sure 300,000 50+ would easily watch it weekly.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Isn't Main Event basically 2 catering matches and a recap of what happened on the other shows?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I could see them maybe moving SmackDown to Wednesday nights if FOX let's them

The Masked Singer does much, much better than Smackdown probably ever has. They'd get laughed out of the room.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

SmackDown is very specifically on Friday nights because that’s where original programming goes to die. Putting something there that’ll consistently draw in the demo shores up an otherwise lost slot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

SmackDown is very specifically on Friday nights because that’s where original programming goes to die. Putting something there that’ll consistently draw in the demo shores up an otherwise lost slot.

It's also very good for WWE because Smackdown was drawing well live after the move to Fox and Fridays.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yes, 100% best case scenario for both parties. SmackDown isn’t moving off of Fridays unless Fox cancels the contract.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Invalid Validation posted:

I laugh every time someone brings up the idea of Disney buying the WWE. There's no way Disney could polish the WWE's history enough to suit their family-friendly image and not have it blow up in their face.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vandar posted:

I laugh every time someone brings up the idea of Disney buying the WWE. There's no way Disney could polish the WWE's history enough to suit their family-friendly image and not have it blow up in their face.

Disney owned Miramax for the better part of two decades.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Yeah but the public didn’t know about Harvey

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

Oh WWE 100% wants another show on Wed and never wanted to move, but the NHL going to US forced it and while it doesn't do wrestling ratings it's close enough to NXT and does better ad rates. So WWE is in a pickle right now as they want a Wed show on TV super bad but no real place to put it unless maybe FS1 frees up a slot but given how in bed WWE is with Peacock that probably has a bunch of hurdles to clear

MassRafTer posted:

Smackdown is really borderline right now. It's demos are generally tied for 2nd on the night, and this week they were third losing to a CBS show. But even still, given the money invested in it if Fox or NBC could buy WWE for 5 billion they absolutely would and it would be a good deal given the nature of television.

But if AEW is doing .4-.5 demos going forward that TNT contract is going to look like even more of a bargain. And while it's a bargain it came at the perfect time for AEW so I doubt they mind too much.

TNT tearing up the AEW TV deal is low key one of the bigger Wrestling stories of 2020 for a variety of reasons, the big one giving AEW a revenue source to ride out the pandemic and grow. If they didn't get it I don't think they go out of business but they probably don't end up signing a bunch of talent and probably have to end up cutting the roster too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah but the public didn’t know about Harvey

Weinstein's conduct was rumored for years and years, alluded to on national TV and published in interviews. WWE's history is more "open" but the really bad stuff is about as well known to the public as Weinstein.

But the fact of the matter is it was an open secret and Disney polished that turd for 17 years to fit their family friendly image.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Oh WWE 100% wants another show on Wed and never wanted to move, but the NHL going to US forced it and while it doesn't do wrestling ratings it's close enough to NXT and does better ad rates. So WWE is in a pickle right now as they want a Wed show on TV super bad but no real place to put it unless maybe FS1 frees up a slot but given how in bed WWE is with Peacock that probably has a bunch of hurdles to clear

Since Peacock is affiliated with NBC, I dare to wonder what's on NBC on Wednesday nights as unrealistic as that would be.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

TV Zombie posted:

Since Peacock is affiliated with NBC, I dare to wonder what's on NBC on Wednesday nights as unrealistic as that would be.

It’s a block of procedurals that does comparable to SmackDown in the demos, with at least 1.5m more viewers, but there’s a less than zero chance that NBC would want to indulge Vince’s ratings slapfight with AEW by giving him two hours on broadcast and I would also bet the Fox deal precludes them from airing on a second network.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kunabomber posted:

Isn't Main Event/Raw/Smackdown basically 2 catering matches and a recap of what happened on the other shows?

ftfy

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MassRafTer posted:

Disney owned Miramax for the better part of two decades.

I doubt your average person knows that Disney owned Miramax, and if Disney today in the year 2020 bought WWE, it would be a big drat deal and due to the nature of the internet, every little thing in the WWE's history would suddenly get dragged out into the light.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MassRafTer posted:

Weinstein's conduct was rumored for years and years, alluded to on national TV and published in interviews. WWE's history is more "open" but the really bad stuff is about as well known to the public as Weinstein.

But the fact of the matter is it was an open secret and Disney polished that turd for 17 years to fit their family friendly image.

Weinstein is a monster in an otherwise (perceived) glamorous industry. That is a lot easier to spin than, say, a popular wrestler beating his wife. When such a case reaches the general public, people just shrug because they assume every wrestler andmost of the audience beat their wives.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The me too movement didn’t kick off until a couple of years ago. Many people in the industry knew that Weinstein was a lech and a creep, but the average American had no clue.

Whereas WWE is -currently- doing pedo bait Alexa Bliss stuff. Disney already lost tons of money last year on cruise.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Vandar posted:

I doubt your average person knows that Disney owned Miramax, and if Disney today in the year 2020 bought WWE, it would be a big drat deal and due to the nature of the internet, every little thing in the WWE's history would suddenly get dragged out into the light.

Please, Disney would do it just for the challenge/out of boredom. They got decades of experience cleaning up questionable content

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

No-one cares about wrestling and they wouldn’t magically start caring because Disney bought it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

LMao

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There went the moneeeeeey

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
WWE Wednesday Whoopass

In which Stone Cold goes around stunning celebrities and flipping them the bird and telling them to don’t never trust nobody.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

As much as I'd love for WWE to be wrenched from McMahon hands I really can not get on the side of any concept that involves the Disney corporate megalith growing even larger.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Imagining Vince doing the Deus Ex: Human Revolution "yeah, rip" line and then quickly moving onto talking about steak wraps or whatever

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a cyborg mug posted:

Imagining Vince doing the Deus Ex: Human Revolution "yeah, rip" line and then quickly moving onto talking about steak wraps or whatever
i literally almost put in a reply from hhh saying “yeah rip” but couldn’t be bothered lol

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

NBC Universal just paid a billion dollars to air something they then had to publicly edit blackface out of and nobody cared, Disney could absolutely buy this dumb company outright and the worst they'd have to worry about is some right wing blog called like Beltway Grump pretending to be big mad about censorship for one eighth of a news cycle or Tucker Carlson doing a segment about Disney hypocrisy

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

jesus WEP posted:

No-one cares about wrestling and they wouldn’t magically start caring because Disney bought it

Okay, but hear me out: Baby Andre.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
counterpoint: Disney Princess Charlotte Flair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Disney would just sunset the old WWE timeline and start a brand new timeline