Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Muscle Tracer posted:

The worst are the two shrines on either side of the split peak that require you to remember wtf is going on in one to solve the other. Thank god for the screenshot button.

Button? poo poo I used my phone.

Wait seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it's the button on the left joycon / left side of the controller, opposite the home button. you push it to get a screenshot or hold it to clip the last 30 seconds of video (for games that support it). you can go to the home menu and find the Library at the bottom to see your screenshots/videos. hope this helps

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also those shrines were great and fantastic

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

b_d posted:

it's the button on the left joycon / left side of the controller, opposite the home button. you push it to get a screenshot or hold it to clip the last 30 seconds of video (for games that support it). you can go to the home menu and find the Library at the bottom to see your screenshots/videos. hope this helps

Oh for shure

It's the button I accidentally hit and then want to delete

I did take some fun pics climbing up the top of Hyrule castle and ya know, finding a Korok but also displaying my sweet armor with a handplant

Game has been around a few years but me I've been around for a few decades so sometimes I just *fart*

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Button? poo poo I used my phone.

Wait seriously?

That's what I consistently did on the Wii U whenever I wanted to take a visual note of anything. Taking a screenshot via the home menu would've taken ages.

(Hell, pressing home for any reason was a huge mistake regardless)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

E nm

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Muscle Tracer posted:

The worst are the two shrines on either side of the split peak that require you to remember wtf is going on in one to solve the other. Thank god for the screenshot button.

I am 90% sure that's the intended way to do it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I used the Sheika Slate camera for those shrines the first time, wtf is wrong with all of you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Recording puzzle solutions and taking a fun selfie, how could you not?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

DelphiAegis posted:

I used the Sheika Slate camera for those shrines the first time, wtf is wrong with all of you.

I imagine most people do those shrines before they have the camera.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Walla posted:

I imagine most people do those shrines before they have the camera.

When I first came across them I was confused since the vertical component of the sensor wasn't entirely clear since I just came off the plateau and I didn't visit them until far later when I had more stamina under my belt. Totally fair though, some people will just climb that fuckin' mountain, especially since there's a tower right nearby.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I did it the old school way, pencil and paper, yall a bunch of zelda posers

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I understood the puzzle, but couldn’t be bothered trying to take and retrieve photos so just googled it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Think I found the BOTW temple of time.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
You should climb surf a tree up to the roof and see if the old man's there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, Breath of the Wild, there is an orb in Impa’s house. What do we do with it?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, Breath of the Wild, there is an orb in Impa’s house. What do we do with it?

Do all the other quests in that village first.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you can’t always get what you want

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cartoon Man posted:

Do all the other quests in that village first.

Okay, thank you, we need one more picture for the Captured Memory quest, the one right in front of the castle.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

b_d posted:

you can’t always get what you want

firstly you take off your shirt

this distracts them

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, thank you, we need one more picture for the Captured Memory quest, the one right in front of the castle.

Pretty sure that one’s not necessary but all the other villager quests in Kakariko are.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

specifically, it's everything listed in the journal of various worries on impa's table

if you haven't read that you should because it's very funny

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Amppelix posted:

specifically, it's everything listed in the journal of various worries on impa's table

if you haven't read that you should because it's very funny

I'm not going to make a "cuck" joke that involves chickens, today

I will not, this is a small goal but I think, important

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Today I learned: You can use a Drillshaft to break those cracked rock walls/piles that are normally only destroyable by bombs.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

and also the sledgehammer, and also all the goron weapons (well drillshaft is also a goron weapon)

similarly, they all deal extra damage to talus enemies and can kill pebblits with a swing

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Amppelix posted:

and also the sledgehammer, and also all the goron weapons (well drillshaft is also a goron weapon)

similarly, they all deal extra damage to talus enemies and can kill pebblits with a swing

I actually didn't know the hammer and sledgeswords worked on them either...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought weapons worked on them, but it's far funnier to pick them up and throw them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I gotta say I really enjoy some of these shrines. It's so fun to solve them with my kid (a lot of his ideas actually work even when I think they're wild as hell) and super satisfying.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Golux posted:

I used to get guides for, like, most games, but nowadays the internet is generally pretty reliable. I'm not the kind of person who really cares about spoilers anyway.

I still prefer paper guides for old RPGs just because its nice to be able to flip back and forth between pages/charts while playing. Text-only gamefaqs guides can be lacking due to a lack of maps/charts/etc, and PDF scans of paper guides generally suffer from a lack of bookmarks or other easy ways of flipping back and forth between multiple pages.

There are online guides that are strictly better than a book due to good use of navigation links and good graphic design, but finding a site like that for an older game can be tricky.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Zonekeeper posted:

I still prefer paper guides for old RPGs just because its nice to be able to flip back and forth between pages/charts while playing. Text-only gamefaqs guides can be lacking due to a lack of maps/charts/etc, and PDF scans of paper guides generally suffer from a lack of bookmarks or other easy ways of flipping back and forth between multiple pages.

There are online guides that are strictly better than a book due to good use of navigation links and good graphic design, but finding a site like that for an older game can be tricky.

Me too; I have a physical guide for basically every Zelda game and many others. Due to lack of shelf space I have had to move to digital scans of a lot of those guides, but I cherish all books.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I miss the SNES/N64 days when I bought game guides more often, even just to read for fun. It's nice to have printed maps and stuff rather than depending on youtube videos or click generator sites full of padded text for simple answers. I think the only game book I've bought since Majora's Mask was the deluxe guide for MGSV, and that was mainly because it turns the normal game guide into a coffeetable textbook of details regarding all aspects of the game design and systems.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Monster Maze posted a theory video on the Master Cycle Zero today, and it made me wonder if the DLC for Age of Calamity is gonna have it as a potential weapon for Link, like Epona was in Hyrule Warriors.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

I thought we were supposed to use the in-game camera :confused:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I gotta say I really enjoy some of these shrines. It's so fun to solve them with my kid (a lot of his ideas actually work even when I think they're wild as hell) and super satisfying.

Between that and the Korok Seeds there's a lot of very 'kid logic' kind of puzzles. I do like that they vary them up enough that it doesn't get too boring or repetitive, when you find a shrine you can never be quite sure what you're going to get.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Shrines stopped being cool places where I wondered what neat puzzle awaited me when I found one, to sources of anxiety after I found the first gyro shrine. After that it was always "Oh gently caress is this going to be another lovely gyro shrine?"

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Twelve by Pies posted:

Shrines stopped being cool places where I wondered what neat puzzle awaited me when I found one, to sources of anxiety after I found the first gyro shrine. After that it was always "Oh gently caress is this going to be another lovely gyro shrine?"

There's only like four of those I think?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also the ball maze (which is the first one anyone will run into) is easily the worst one, requiring both precision and tight timing

the rest are way more chill

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I beat that shrine by tossing the ball way up in the air and lucking into the end slot.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Shrines are if a temple and a grotto have a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I beat that shrine by tossing the ball way up in the air and lucking into the end slot.
Yeah I used the maze to flick the orb over

You can also turn the entire maze upside down and use the bottom.