Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if that’s not a class signifier I don’t know what is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Fool posted:

what kind of bullshit fancy house do you have that you can have a whole extra chimney you don’t use

House was originally heated solely by fireplaces and had gas lamps for light.

At some point electric was run so they got rid of the gas lamps but the pipes are still around, and HVAC ducting was run so they capped the fireplaces. The chimneys are still there because it's literally impossible to get a chimney torn down if it isn't a hazard.

I asked the roofers who did my house about tearing down and roofing over the one completely unused chimney and he told me that it was a massive insurance liability and he wouldn't touch it, period, since the section of the chimney above the roofline represented like ten tons worth of bricks.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

One of the walls in my wood shop in the basement is part brick work for the fireplace and flue and there are little metal grates at the bottom, not too long ago I opened one up and a shitload of soot poured out everywhere.

I'm not really sure what I expected to happen.

Apr 7, 2003

That's my bathroom, there's a metal grate in the wall that's plumbed into the chimney flue and that flue is bricked up above the grate.

My office actually has the same sort of grate in the wall but it goes to regular ducting.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's my bathroom, there's a metal grate in the wall that's plumbed into the chimney flue and that flue is bricked up above the grate.

Updating my yospos.org file to note Tori shits and pisses into a metal grate in the wall lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

Updating my yospos.org file to note Tori shits and pisses into a metal grate in the wall lol

and the metal grate goes directly into fortaleza's wood shop. :wth:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

lmao, walked right into that one huh

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Anyway here's part my wood shop which I spend all my wfh time and money on these days instead of bars and social interaction, super stoked with how it's coming out

Complete with vintage-looking radio behind the beam for listing to AM broadcasts of mariner's games :911:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

What's with the flag weirdo

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

What's with the flag weirdo

It's a good quality flag and the only one I have really. Prob get a big Cascadia one eventually

Apr 7, 2003

I'll post a picture of my basement workshop again once I take a new one, I've posted pictures previously and multiple people who post in this thread have been in my basement and it's like a bizarro murder dungeon.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The Mariners have been playing the Astros and it's fun listening because everyone loving hates houston because of their cheating during the WS and thanks to the tiny crowds you can hear everyone heckling them

Apr 7, 2003

AL baseball isn't real baseball.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I'm going to take the train up there this summer when the Rangers visit and enjoy some non-real baseball in person, make a weekend of it. Train ride's 3.5 hours but it goes through some gorgeous scenery.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

American flags make me nervous.

Anyways, working fireplaces are the shizz. Sitting next to a fire, sipping cocoa, thats the life. Our midcentury modern only has central heating, I have to go outside to light a fire like a simp.

Apr 7, 2003

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Anyways, working fireplaces are the shizz. Sitting next to a fire, sipping cocoa, thats the life. Our midcentury modern only has central heating, I have to go outside to light a fire like a simp.

Every fireplace in our house was disabled and made impossible to use. pretty impressive. I guess the drive to modernize was really that crazy in the fifties.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol i love louisiana

https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/status/1383787550679072775

Apr 7, 2003

death from a preventable disease: very low on my list.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
biden should announce that all americans are hereby ordered to breathe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

reminder one of america’s most popular and idolized dead guys got that way because he refused to wear modern safety equipment in his race car

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

reminder one of america’s most popular and idolized dead guys got that way because he refused to wear modern safety equipment in his race car

There was a Tropicana ad campaign literally right before he died that was all "THE JUICE DALE DRINKS WHEN HE HITS THE WALL" lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

This is the first one I’ve had and I love it, used it nearly every night some weeks this past winter. Few months ago I made a bigass firewood rack for my backyard and got to choppin’ to fill it up, logs should be dry enough for next winter. Really looking forward to the first cold snap in like October to bust out the first logs and get all hygge

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Every fireplace in our house was disabled and made impossible to use. pretty impressive. I guess the drive to modernize was really that crazy in the fifties.

Nah, the basic design principle of masonry fireplaces is that they'll be used, in particular during the rainy months of the year. If you're not keeping them hot, they'll absorb moisture and fall apart in the freeze-thaw cycles.

So if your primary source of heat isn't burning wood, you're better off sealing them off completely.

At a bare minimum you should put a cap over the flue and regularly paint the entire exterior surface with masonry sealant.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

like 32% of my daily chores are preparing to leave a clean apartment and a record of the serial numbers of all my ham radios these days, i'm so ready to leave this idiot existence but im like, not suicidal or whatever. i just expect hot steaming doom soon

do you have your envelope with important documents taped at eye level for the convenience of the county official?

Sagebrush posted:

"he's right on your tail! go evasive!"
"don't worry, i've got one more trick up my sleeve..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujQ90xNutTc

the somersaulting is apparently a natural behavior but ofc humans then bred them to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiQOb6dMN28

lmao what in the gently caress

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fortaleza posted:

Sagebrush posted:

lol.

but seriously though, that’s a believably goony thread topic.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seriously that's insane. Someone needs to stop humans they're out of control

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

Anyway here's part my wood shop which I spend all my wfh time and money on these days instead of bars and social interaction, super stoked with how it's coming out

Complete with vintage-looking radio behind the beam for listing to AM broadcasts of mariner's games :911:

nice fascism

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

do you have your envelope with important documents taped at eye level for the convenience of the county official?

the somersaulting was one of the things i was thinking of in terms of how they can just drop out of the sky when somethings coming at them.

i feel like those weird rolling pigeons though are pretty much fashionable abuse, much like snub-nosed dogs.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i saw a thing on tv a long time ago that said they’re actually pretty fast in a straight line and that if certain birds of prey can’t grab them via divebomb they’ll usually end up getting away.

this is some half remembered popsci show from 20 years ago and I don’t remember what channel this was even on but i can clearly recall two seconds of lovely cgi showing such so i’m sure I’ve got it right.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Most building codes prohibit new non-gas fireplaces cause they're surprisingly dirty and unhealthy for neighbors

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

kitten emergency posted:

does last.fm still exist
I still don't really know what last.fm does

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

haveblue posted:

biden should announce that all americans are hereby ordered to breathe

that was bid out in a public private partnership with apple and the apple watch

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ShadowHawk posted:

Most building codes prohibit new non-gas fireplaces cause they're surprisingly dirty and unhealthy for neighbors

i won’t pretend ours is the cleanest but we retrofitted ours with a reburning stove and it’s been great.

i do get a little frustrated sometimes at the giant house behind us though. they put in a big pool with an outdoor wood burning pool heater

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

:yossame:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
it lets you scrobble your music, duh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fabricated posted:

i know what it used to do: it would take every track you've listened to, and how many times you've listened to them, and show you other users' playlists and most-listened-to music based on that, so it was easy to find new music you'd probably/possibly like.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

using pigeons as bowling balls is some extremely weird flintstones-level “using dinosaur as a can opener or a record player” poo poo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m getting vaxed today

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

I’m getting vaxed today

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i know what it used to do: it would take every track you've listened to, and how many times you've listened to them, and show you other users' playlists and most-listened-to music based on that, so it was easy to find new music you'd probably/possibly like.

it was basically the good parts of spotify without forcing you to listen to badly transcoded garbo rips of the songs