Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Popete posted:

Every space video game has had short range space missiles because it makes sense from a game play perspective. Actual space combat would make for an incredibly boring game, you'd never see your enemy and you'd in all likelihood just randomly die without ever having a clue someone was trying to shoot at you when they poke a hole in your ship from 1000 miles away.

Yeah space combat is inherently impractical as scifi imagined it. You'd just use drones and long range torpedoes instead. Warships have very little use other than as long range missile platforms. Its just a liability to get into close range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gort posted:

Someone should just do straight-up World War 2 in space, with pressurised Spitfires and BF109s going at it

That's pretty much 40k orc flyboys

And yeah its cool as gently caress

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Why even build warships. Just drop an asteroid or tungsten rods.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/t3SqfIq.mp4

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Why even build warships. Just drop an asteroid or tungsten rods.

From what

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pfft military spaceships are just a way to hoover up contracts in return for jobs jobs jobs.

The real way to conquer another world is to spend a decade or two tailoring political memetics to topple their government

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Just make your assets 4K and the game will basically build itself. If people start talking about the missiles, tell them about the new tiles they can buy; but only if they are discerning "investors". Remember the key is to pick out the big spenders and cater to them and screw everybody else wanting those dumb "results" and nonsense that slow down the whole flavor of game development. They just don't get it.

i have a palette of 22 colors and some pixel art. so i think im ready to start selling PNGs. early days, new money only.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
For anyone ITT who may need it:

https://twitter.com/unity3d/status/1356286839905112067

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

How much for a copy signed by Chris Roberts and Derek Smart?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

... no way that's a cat.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

That cat needs an elevated feeding bowl.

Scooping like that is bad for their health.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

It does not and will never have this. You would have to perform collision checks for every bullet fired, forever.

Start Citizen has basic-bitch CryEngine FPS combat except on a very large map and broken. Guns have CE range, damage, and properties.

Yup. Or perhaps it's basic-bitch CryEngine FPS combat on a normal-sized map and broken, and guns have greatly diminished range and properties to reflect how everything is teeny-tiny to provide the illusion of a very large map? I'd bet a dollar there's at least a few programmers at CIG who don't know for sure.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gort posted:

Someone should just do straight-up World War 2 in space, with pressurised Spitfires and BF109s going at it

Every crobert game has been ww2 in space anyway and the movie was hot rod ww2 in space.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
should be sent to 9255 Sunset Blvd, Ste. 803 West Hollywood, CA 90069

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

If we are talking realism, we must first understand how RL missiles work.

In the real world, a missile does not have a lot of fuel. What happens when you fire an air-to-air missile is it fires upwards to the highest possible altitude (unless the target is in dogfight range), quickly burning out its fuel (which lasts for a very short distance), and the rest of the way “glides” in air using its rudders.

In space, there is no atmosphere and the rudders are useless, which is why the missile must always utilize fuel to maneuver. This dramatically reduces the missile’s range.

Then again, if we look at it from sci-fi perspective, 900 years into the future they may have found some type of high-intensity fuel that would make the missiles travel for much longer distances.

I'm lost for words.

I'd pay good money to the author for them to go explain missile physics on a DCS reddit/forum.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Would

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FishMcCool posted:

I'm lost for words.

I'd pay good money to the author for them to go explain missile physics on a DCS reddit/forum.

The odd engagement envelope graph of ∆v is really confusing (unless you've murdered a Kerbal or three), I agree.
I would also pay good money to watch the collision between DCS missile freakery and the citizen kind.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

to be fair missiles do go farther in space (but not a2a missiles fighters usually use). But only if rocket nozzles are optimized for it. That is if the missile isnt using ramjet or something

quote:

In space, there is no atmosphere and the rudders are useless, which is why the missile must always utilize fuel to maneuver. This dramatically reduces the missile’s range.
but this is just wrong the reason missiles go for thrust vectoring/venting is that it allows tighter turns for the missile. so something like 180 turn after launch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMSfg26YSQ

quote:

In the real world, a missile does not have a lot of fuel. What happens when you fire an air-to-air missile is it fires upwards to the highest possible altitude (unless the target is in dogfight range), quickly burning out its fuel (which lasts for a very short distance), and the rest of the way “glides” in air using its rudders.
and missile doesnt fly highest possible altitude. like imagine missile doing 90 degree turn up burning forever then trying to glide in to target,. By time missile has completed the maneuvers the jet would have flown way past the intended target.
It is however true that missile does usually loft to target. since less air resistance the less drag there is for missile, making maintaining speed easier, basically missile will climb to optimize for maintaining speed instead of altitude.
unless highest possible altitude is because of lift missile would generate going forward instead of up, then sure altitude part could be true
and another option for highest possible altitude optimization is if the warhead has second terminal boost phase like aim120 has for regaining speed.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 20, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The missile knows where it is by knowing where it isn't, and by subtracting the places it isn't from the places where it wasn't...

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

The missile knows where it is by knowing where it isn't, and by subtracting the places it isn't from the places where it wasn't...

Now I finally understand how missiles don't work in star citizer

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Dark Off posted:

to be fair missiles do go farther in space. But only if rocket nozzles are optimized for it. That is if the missile isnt using ramjet or something

but this is just wrong the reason missiles go for thrust vectoring/venting is that it allows tighter turns for the missile. so something like 180 turn after launch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMSfg26YSQ

and missile doesnt fly highest possible altitude because that would be incredibly dumb. like imagine missile doing 90 degree turn up burning forever then trying to glide in to target,. By time missile has completed the maneuvers the jet would have flown way past the intended target.
It is however true that missile does usually loft to target. since less air resistance the less drag there is for missile, making maintaining speed easier, basically missile will climb to optimize for maintaining speed instead of altitude.
unless highest possible altitude is because of lift missile would generate going forward instead of up, then sure altitude part would be true
and another option for highest possible altitude optimization is if the warhead has second terminal boost phase like aim120 has for regaining speed.
thanks for this informative post, I knew that backer is wrong (not just because it is SC backer), but I only had some intuitive notions like "missiles flying to highest possible altitude sounds dumb and I don't think I ever saw it happen on some video of missiles"

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Dwesa posted:

thanks for this informative post, I knew that backer is wrong (not just because it is SC backer), but I only had some intuitive notions like "missiles flying to highest possible altitude sounds dumb and I don't think I ever saw it happen on some video of missiles"

im no expert on subject. and it seems to be more complex the more i google about reality. For example meteors being ramjets really makes the flight profile different from something like aim120
Also anyone enjoying realism should try out dcs world even if it is horribly expensive game riddle with ridiculously expensive dlc's.
Its like what if CIG actually made a game in addition of fleecing nerds and was bit less greedy. (dcs is slowly getting greedier for example super carrier dlc. only brings carrier with mocapped crew into the game)

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 20, 2021

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dwesa posted:

I think the only reasonable period where he might've been right are ground-ground missiles in roughly WW2 era or slightly before it. And even there the missiles didn't go for highest altitude (that'd be obviously straight up), but roughly copied ballistic curve (roughly because the engine allows them to have even better flying profile).

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I think the only reasonable period where he might've been right are ground-ground missiles in roughly WW2 era or slightly before it. And even there the missiles didn't go for highest altitude (that'd be obviously straight up), but roughly copied ballistic curve (roughly because the engine allows them to have even better flying profile).

quite the opposite actually since early missiles didnt have lofting. also highest altitude might not be directly upwards since missiles do generate lift when going forward, which would make highest possible altitude more plausible thing, if it also maintains speed.

edit:ah you mean something like stalin's organs in which case disregard the above. I was thinking of early rockets/ guided missiles.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 20, 2021

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dwesa posted:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Welcome to Star Citizen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkrdnz2idBw

Curious lack of bugs and server crashes, but otherwise I guess it's not that misleading - except for some mining, there is no gameplay shown, only visuals and chariots.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dark Off posted:

im no expert on subject. and it seems to be more complex the more i google about reality. For example meteors being ramjets really makes the flight profile different from something like aim120
Also anyone enjoying realism should try out dcs world even if it is horribly expensive game riddle with ridiculously expensive dlc's.
Its like what if CIG actually made a game in addition of fleecing nerds and was bit less greedy. (dcs is slowly getting greedier for example super carrier dlc. only brings carrier with mocapped crew into the game)

And for missiles-in-space with trajectory and delta-v considerations, I can't recommend enough Children of a Dead Earth. It sells for almost nothing and is criminally underknown. In the realm of "what would space warfare look like?", I don't think anything else even remotely touches it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

He's not wrong that the missiles have no air to steer with but that doesn't make them short range it just mean you can shoot them to the other side of the solar system but then they only get a few changes of direction to intercept in the bank if the target starts using its fuel to move. Hence I recommend swarms of large unmanned missiles drones full of atomic bombs and fuel going really really fast.

FishMcCool posted:

And for missiles-in-space with trajectory and delta-v considerations, I can't recommend enough Children of a Dead Earth. It sells for almost nothing and is criminally underknown. In the realm of "what would space warfare look like?", I don't think anything else even remotely touches it.

Yeah go play this game, it's niche and good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they might be confusing stuff like ballistic/cruise missiles, top attack anti tank missiles, high altitude surface to air missiles, and probably something they saw in an anime one time.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The longer range A2A missiles will climb up quite high above their target into the stratosphere to extend their range though but they don't go straight up.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Welcome to Star Citizen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkrdnz2idBw

Curious lack of bugs and server crashes, but otherwise I guess it's not that misleading - except for some mining, there is no gameplay shown, only visuals and chariots.

I often go back to this Eve Online trailer as an example of a perfect MMO ad. I've played Eve and it's not the game for me, but regardless that ad gets me hyped up. That SC video tries to showcase the best the game has to offer and it's just totally milquetoast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqoxRcP5kbo

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

You know, sometimes I think CIG hasn’t really thought all this through...

It now is abundantly clear to me that the mashing up of the different iterations of this thread constitutes more of a coherent design plan than anything CIG might have produced in those 10 years. They seem to be faking it until they can make it but without actually really trying. In short, it's a scam.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm glad we covered the missile situation. I don't know much about missiles but I was like 99% sure that didn't sound correct at all.

I know that missiles have lift surfaces (of course) but I was pretty sure that they don't really have active flaps or anything and use thrust vectoring or separate maneuvering thrusters.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

I'm glad we covered the missile situation. I don't know much about missiles but I was like 99% sure that didn't sound correct at all.

I know that missiles have lift surfaces (of course) but I was pretty sure that they don't really have active flaps or anything and use thrust vectoring or separate maneuvering thrusters.

Nah most long/med range AA missiles have control surfaces known as control actuation systems or CAS.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Fidelitious posted:

the options are grid fins space-x style
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-77
fins:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-27_(air-to-air_missile)
thrust vectoring:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRIS-T
seems like i cant find example of maneuvering thrusters so that might have just been a failed prototype thing.

Krunkopolis
Jan 9, 2019

Bootcha posted:

As an attempt at an honest answer...

1) You missed the Kickstarter gravy train, because 2010 to 2014 was the sweet spot of anti-publisher sentiment and pro-indie support.

2) You aren't an old time rockstar dev from an old beloved dead devhouse that existed juuuuuuust before the internet could start remembering everything dumb you did and said.

3) You don't have a "captive lunatic customer base", as in you don't have a potential customer base that is utterly under-served, but lunatic enough to latch onto every little glimmer of hope that their long awaited game could potentially be "right around the corner" with wallets a-waiting.

4) You are in the game development industry, not the marketing industry, meaning your reputation (and primary source of income) is based upon what you produce, not what you promise.

5) You are (hopefully) not surrounded by family and cronies from past failed endevours looking to leech off your success and influence you to make unmoral and unethical decisions for the sake of fattening their wallets and padding their portfolios.

6) You are not attempting to be something you are not, nor attempting to do something you are incapable of.

7) In summary, you are not Chris Roberts. Be thankful for that.

Beautiful! This is like the anti-Desiderata.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Dark Off posted:

DCS is cool but every time I bring it up in the Star Citizen thread I feel like a shill. It's important to remind people that DCS also has some lovely business practices (overpriced non-plane DLC like you mentioned, early access planes that get no updates for months/years, etc). They're better than CIG, but hell, who isn't?

Fidelitious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op7n8I2_Dkc

guided missiles are cool until you look up how much they cost and think about what else that money could go towards. (modern long-range AA missiles cost roughly $550,000. each.)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Trillhouse posted:

guided missiles are cool until you look up how much they cost and think about what else that money could go towards. (modern long-range AA missiles cost roughly $550,000. each.)

That's just a few Legatus packages at the end of the day. And the AAAA game that comes with the Legatus has a lot more content than your AA missile.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Raytheon and CIG really aren't so different. Hundreds of millions of dollars are funneled into their projects and all that's left at the end is a big explosion and then nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

If CIGs offices burned down in a fire, the detective who would investigate it would have a nightmare sorting all the possible suspects and motives.

ACAB.