Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

mila kunis posted:

I've stopped watching because all the bars are shut and tv subscriptions are a ripoff i don't want to pay more for on top of already existing subscriptions and non-dodgy streams that wont install malware or bitcoin miners are hard to find. I catch motd or other highlights now and then. Not sure my experience is that unique either, they've really killed the desire/ability of lots of people to watch

Finding free high quality streams is incredibly easy op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If their intention is for 15 permanent clubs, I don't understand why the 12 thought it was a good idea to announce. Why didn't they sew up the remaining 3 before making the announcement?

That's either inept or they are negotiating on a grand scale and I can't figure out which.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the popes toes posted:

If their intention is for 15 permanent clubs, I don't understand why the 12 thought it was a good idea to announce. Why didn't they sew up the remaining 3 before making the announcement?

That's either inept or they are negotiating on a grand scale and I can't figure out which.

I think it was leaked. They probably didn't intend to announce it until end of season.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The DPRK posted:

Please excuse my naive questions, but:
- Why are so many clubs in debt?
- Is it really not possible for clubs to continue to exist based on matchday tickets (assuming no covid) and merch?
- Is this in itself not damning for modern football?

e: i'm mainly thinking here about the non big 6 sides, thinking if the big 6 break away - why are they so hosed?

The gods of capitalism demand growth in perpetuity

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
These clubs have MASSIVE followings outside of England that aren't fully capitalized upon because the matches are at weird times and the big clubs "don't play other famous clubs enough". If I'm in debt (or even if I'm not and have a large following outside of England) why not get the free money from those fans from a new TV deal catered to US and China?

While yes this accelerates the timeline of "football is ruined!", I'm not sure how exactly getting these plans scrapped helps. SL is cancelled and then everyone is happy that football is saved? The teams in the Super League already have a payroll 10x higher than most of the other teams they play in their leagues. And the difference has been growing over the last 20 years. Super League will just get this up to a 20x difference in payroll done in 2021 instead of waiting until 2030.

People that think that Crystal Palace or whatever will be able to compete with these teams in 2030 if no changes happen are deluding themselves.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 20, 2021

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

the popes toes posted:

The NYT scooped the story, forcing them to announce at midnight on sunday.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Really funny moment on a Liverpool fan podcast/channel yesterday was a viewer question asking what's stopping Liverpool or any team from just relocating to somewhere else. The 3 "hosts" all stopped, mouths open, and they were all like, well poo poo, nothing I guess.

You would think the Wimbledon/MK Dons fiasco would have alerted them to this possibility.

Coincidentally really love the fact the fans of Wimbledon set up a new club and now competing in the same league as The Cows™

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rad Russian posted:

These clubs have MASSIVE followings outside of England that aren't fully capitalized upon because the matches are at weird times and the big clubs "don't play each other enough". If I'm in debt (or even if I'm not and have a large following outside of England) why not get the free money from those fans from a new TV deal catered to US and China?

While yes this accelerates the timeline of "football is ruined!", I'm not sure how exactly getting these plans scrapped helps. SL is cancelled and then everyone is happy that football is saved? The teams in the Super League already have a payroll 10x higher than most of the other teams they play in their leagues. And the difference has been growing over the last 20 years. Super League will just get this up to a 20x difference in payroll done in 2021 instead of waiting until 2030.

americans.txt

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Rad Russian posted:

I'm not sure how exactly getting these plans scrapped helps. SL is cancelled and then everyone is happy that football is saved?

Football is temporairly saved while we build guillotines

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Grimson posted:

The NYT scooped the story, forcing them to announce at midnight on sunday.

Ah, thanks. So it was "Those loving Germans ratted us out, those bastards!" Or the French. Or the Dutch. Good on them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Really funny moment on a Liverpool fan podcast/channel yesterday was a viewer question asking what's stopping Liverpool or any team from just relocating to somewhere else. The 3 "hosts" all stopped, mouths open, and they were all like, well poo poo, nothing I guess.

We are the Abu Dhabi Reds, This Means More.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1384520633078493185?s=20

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Ahahahahaha this is almost petty and it rules

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

the popes toes posted:

Ah, thanks. So it was "Those loving Germans ratted us out, those bastards!" Or the French. Or the Dutch. Good on them.

rare german-french collaboration someone doesn't get executed for.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Providing the greedy 12 eat a 2 year ban for their shenanigans.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The DPRK posted:

- Is it really not possible for clubs to continue to exist based on matchday tickets (assuming no covid) and merch?

e: i'm mainly thinking here about the non big 6 sides, thinking if the big 6 break away - why are they so hosed?

Debt comes in different forms. In Man Utd's case most of their debt was created by their owners in order to buy the club in the first place. They don't try to pay it off because the club can afford to pay the annual interest from its income and still pay shareholders dividends. For some other club's it's ownership debt - money their owners have lent the business (usually) interest free in order to cover costs, that will theoretically come back to them one day (like Mike Ashley at Newcastle who can't sell the club because he needs £150m or something paid back as part of the deal, or Vincent Tan at Cardiff who keeps having to convert debt to equity because he knows he's never getting paid back).

It's difficult for clubs to live within their means because it's competitive sport. Every single club lives with the idea that spending that little bit more gives them that extra advantage, or helps them not fall behind/down. With the prizes available at the top so high, clubs feel that spending £10m they don't have is a worthwhile risk if it means they might gain £100m a season later on. There's also the confidence that if you gently caress it up you can sell a player or two to cover the losses. Clubs will run up debts for multiple seasons believing that James Maddison or Jack Grealish will pay for it if they don't get promoted. Financial Fair Play rules exist to try to discourage this behaviour, but they don't work.

The typical income for a Championship team without significant TV money is around £20-25m a season. Leicester's turnover in 18/19 was £178m, a figure that had been increasing 20% a year since promotion in 2014. Their commercial revenue alone dwarfs the total income of most Championship sides not receiving parachute payments. Why wouldn't you go into debt chasing that much money, or trying to hold on to it?

The 14 clubs act like the last 5-10 years of skyrocketing TV income has always existed and is essential to keep English football going. They don't want to give up their golden ticket so instead plead imminent poverty.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Rosenborg will cement their role as kings of Europe

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Sandwolf posted:

Ahahahahaha this is almost petty and it rules

Everyone knew something like this would happen though. I still honestly think that the SL was a ploy for bargaining with UEFA and the first hope was to stay in the current system. I honestly don't know if they'd have gone public without the NYT breaking the story.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

The DPRK posted:

- there's an arms race with sides competing for a huge financial windfall whether that is big CL TV money and new markets penetration or entry into the premier League etc. The prize is massive but the costs are escalating rapidly and missing out can lead to disaster, every club is Leeds pre-collapse now. This isn't helped by some of the clubs having essentially infinite money. Attempts to curb this have failed miserably and UEFA are completely useless. Lots of clubs have been investing in infrastructure too recently. Some clubs are treated like any other company where having huge piles of debt is just part of capitalism. Then covid happened as well and since you need to spend a lot of money to stand still it hasn't blunted it much.
- the money from other sources dwarfs matchday revenue for everyone now, even with upgraded stadiums. Even if you could survive on matchday revenue why would you?
- it would be fine if it were actually managed properly. The game has needed wage/transfer caps and more equity for a long time now. The issues with debt, finance, exorbitant wealth and large corporations crushing the little guy are just reflective of the same problems within wider society tbh. It's a bit depressing how much more attention football has gotten.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Most clubs money comes from TV rights and sponsorships.

Anfield for example seats about 45k. So if you sell each ticket for £100 and sell out each week you would get £9m per month assuming 2 home games.

Liverpool's wage bill is £139m per year.
Sounds like the good taxpayers of Liverpool are gonna have to pony up to build the team a new stadium, lest they risk...

Pook Good Mook posted:

The "American model" with all it's ghoulish cash grabs is coming. I wonder how long it'll take before the ECJ hands down the football version of Federal Baseball Club v. National League

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rad Russian posted:

These clubs have MASSIVE followings outside of England that aren't fully capitalized upon because the matches are at weird times and the big clubs "don't play other famous clubs enough". If I'm in debt (or even if I'm not and have a large following outside of England) why not get the free money from those fans from a new TV deal catered to US and China?

People that think that Crystal Palace or whatever will be able to compete with these teams in 2030 if no changes happen are deluding themselves.

Spending money is only part of the equation for success, though. Playing and coaching ability plays a huge part, and the best players can still lose to Palace on a wet Wednesday night. If all these clubs had to do was vastly outspend the competition they wouldn't need a closed shop super league, they're already doing it. There isn't a calibre of player out there that these clubs don't already have a functional monopoly on, that they would be able to reach if only they had another hundred million in the bank.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pook Good Mook posted:

Everyone knew something like this would happen though. I still honestly think that the SL was a ploy for bargaining with UEFA and the first hope was to stay in the current system. I honestly don't know if they'd have gone public without the NYT breaking the story.

i think they always intended for uefa to come to the table. the plan as framed didn't make sense - they were going to put 16 more games on top of their already packed schedule? i suppose we'll see what the details are but it might just be mission accomplished for the 12 big clubs.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Blank McKinsey .ppt slide titled "Current advantages of staying in Merseyside market"

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

bawfuls posted:

Sounds like the good taxpayers of Liverpool are gonna have to pony up to build the team a new stadium, lest they risk...

The "American model" with all it's ghoulish cash grabs is coming. I wonder how long it'll take before the ECJ hands down the football version of Federal Baseball Club v. National League

I overheard a British radio show yesterday (talkSport?) where a guest was asked about the Kop and all the fan cutouts. It was clear the guest hadn't thought about it and got unbelievably mad and started yelling that Liverpool needs to remove all the cutouts before their next game.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Err the crowd control is diabolically bad though. It genuinely does often take longer to get into Stratford with its 5000 lines than it took to get onto the single platform district line at Upton Park. And when you do get into the station it’s half empty and trains are coming through and leaving a third full.

Nah, you're just wrong. Like provably wrong. It takes 25 minutes to get 60,000 people either onto a train or otherwise off the Olympic Park, it took *at least* an hour to clear the queue at Upton Park and that was with half the amount of people. If I leave bang on the final whistle I'm normally home in 35 minutes, and it used to take me longer than that to even get onto the District Line which was then another half hour to get home (although that's because I can jump on the DLR at Pudding Mill or just walk down to Bow Road and jump on the D8 to get home).

They throttle the crowd onto the Central Line because of the bottleneck at Mile End with all those people wanting to get back to Upminster - they all want a chance of getting a seat on the District Line so none of them walk/Jubilee Line/DLR to West Ham and change there, meaning the designed-for-the-crowds West Ham is deserted while the tiny little island platform at Mile End is packed worst than rush hour. Presumably this means that eastbound trains end up pretty empty because there's no way of just stopping people getting onto westbound stations at Stratford.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

While it was our intention to bring greater excitement to supporters who love the beautiful game as much as we, and to bring greater stability and financial health to the leagues, we welcome this news and look forward to discussing how these new developments may insure the longevity of the game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

The Spanish banker who created the controversial new European Super League has promised the new JP Morgan-backed competition will pump €400m (£350m) into the national leagues that the elite clubs plan to leave behind.

Anas Laghari, a partner at the Madrid bank Key Capital and the newly appointed general secretary of the Super League, said the new league would reignite younger people’s love of football and end the “madness” of big money transfers.

Laghari, a close friend of Real Madrid’s billionaire president and majority-owner Florentino Pérez, told the French newspaper Le Parisien that the new closed league was essential to make elite football profitable for owners.

Oh look more shitheads connected to Real Madrid.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

dex_sda posted:

They might have expected the Tories to back them. Instead the English clubs are being threatened with being buttfucked by the actual executive branch of the government.

The fact they didn't even bother buying the tories shows how poorly thought out this was, politicians are so cheap when you're talking about the amount of money at stake.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i just got into this dumb poo poo this year and i love that immediately im hit with football brexit

what a great year to be figuring out what teams to support

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the insight folks.

The very fact that Championship clubs can keep going with hardly any TV coverage gives me heart, although I gather from the last few days that it's a different story for lower leagues.

My naive hope, if the break away does go ahead, is that it might rally those left behind to act in solidarity with one another and protect the structure right the way down the pyramid. I used to go and watch Leicester when they were in League 1, it's still a good day out and a fantastic atmosphere.

Now for my whimsical hot take 😂 I long for the days of having players play for the club because they want to play for that club, and not because it's where they can command the highest wage. Maybe taking the money out of football would be a good thing, and would reinvigorate passion among the players to play for their local team. No I will not accept any criticism of this take, thank you very much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Recent wages to turnover ratios for the poor little PL clubs:

In the Championship it starts at 100% and rises.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

sassassin posted:

Spending money is only part of the equation for success, though. Playing and coaching ability plays a huge part, and the best players can still lose to Palace on a wet Wednesday night. If all these clubs had to do was vastly outspend the competition they wouldn't need a closed shop super league, they're already doing it. There isn't a calibre of player out there that these clubs don't already have a functional monopoly on, that they would be able to reach if only they had another hundred million in the bank.

Yes, the money problem in football is really two money problems, depending on how rich you are to start with.

The first money problem is if you're a team that isn't a "big name" but are chasing the money that comes from performing at a historically big name level (or a Championship club trying to perform at a PL level, and so on down the tiers). You spend money in the hope that this investment turns into more money in future. It's a tough job, but not impossible.

The second money problem is if you're one of the big name clubs already making a shitload of money. Congratulations! You're probably even profitable! Or at least pay a decent dividend to shareholders, which is what makes you valuable. In this position, your worry is if you gently caress up on the pitch too much, some of those revenue streams take a bit of a hit and all of a sudden your profit isn't going up year on year any more, and your asset value goes down. So you come up with the bright idea to never have to worry about loving up on the pitch any more, and here we are. The Super League!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sassassin posted:

Recent wages to turnover ratios for the poor little PL clubs:

In the Championship it starts at 100% and rises.
It's interesting that none of the six joining the Super League are that bad as far as wages go. Hell Tottenham at under 39% is kind of startling.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh look more shitheads connected to Real Madrid.

Solely out of national pride, I would like to contend that the fair-play minded American owners were duped by the greedy and duplicitous Spaniards. I don't think that will work, however.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Pook Good Mook posted:

I agree with this as well. Never forget that UEFA are still the money grubbing cunts they’ve always been.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I saw one analysis that said the proposed Super League model basically takes American sports and makes them even more inequitable because yes, American sports are a closed shop money printer, and yes there's huge disparity between the richest and poorest teams, but also they've at least tried to level the playing field a little bit through things like the draft system prioritizing the worst teams and leaguewide salary caps meaning the richest teams have a little less ability to just buy their way to the top. As a result, good teams come and go, sometimes rich and successful teams turn to poo poo despite having the highest revenue, and even bad teams can eventually win titles. The Super League proposal takes the closed shop money printer and gets rid of the token concessions to fairness, which makes it even more transparently a huge cash grab than the usual American sports structures.

It also doesn't help that all the people behind it keep giving media interviews where they say "yes, actually the point of this is for us to make more money than we currently make."

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Casual Encountess posted:

i just got into this dumb poo poo this year and i love that immediately im hit with football brexit

the answer is West Ham since they've caused all of this by operating above their station (in places 1-6 in the league)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

BUG JUG posted:

the answer is West Ham since they've caused all of this by operating above their station (in places 1-6 in the league)

Or Leicester, for 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Vando posted:

Given there's only 3 promotion spots it's got to happen to someone :getin:

Only 2 get promoted out of the national league. The logjam to escape would be amazing. Would love to see man u having to play ebbsfleet away 3 seasons in a row.

Casual Encountess posted:

Let me tell you about the blessed northeast...