Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

dwarf74 posted:

Canvas is pretty great. It's beautiful, pretty easy to understand, and short enough to entertain almost any audience.

The deluxe wooden components are really beautiful and feel great, but they are obviously unnecessary. The extra cards are a nice bonus, but I have yet to use the extra mechanical options.

The extra mechanical options are neat, and I am glad I have them. Also, while the game is easy to teach and get into, it can be a real serious brain burner with some scoring card combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is there a difference between the Canvas original kickstarter + deluxe components and the new KS's Canvas Deluxe?

Gonna be big mad if so!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Is there a difference between the Canvas original kickstarter + deluxe components and the new KS's Canvas Deluxe?

Gonna be big mad if so!

Not that I can tell. I have the original kickstarter deluxe and it looks like it's the same content being offered in this expansion kickstarter (if you back at the level where you get the original deluxe as well, obviously.) There were some wooden easel things that may have been an add-on to the original kickstarter, but they are completely useless bling (that doesn't fit in the box well) and have no affect on gameplay. I don't see those here.

Also - it's a little bit annoying, but the cards ship with a plastic cling film on them that you need to peel off when you get the game. Just something to be aware of that will take ~30 minutes but make the cards look a lot better.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I ended up backing for the deluxe version of Canvas + Expansion because I can never help myself, just ask my stack of ant meeples and metal coins.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Infinitum posted:

Oh wow I wanted to back this because I thought it was gorgeous, but holy :laffo: at the "maybe it's stuck on the Ever Given" level of shipping.

I suspect this is working within Japan thing. While the forms are a pain in the arse to fill out, the Japanese postal service is (in my Limited experience) excellent.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stopped being a lazy lazy boy and finalised all my shipping info on all my recent KSs :toot:

Radlands Deluxe, Maquis 2nd Edition, Tiny Epic Dungeons, and Root Marauders all locked in :getin:
Just gotta wait for the Fjords manager to launch to lock that in as well.

Realistically only looking at John Company from how much you nerds are gushing about it, and the Deluxe Train Sets.
Think I'm going to focus more on pimping my table components out this year rather than back way too many games like I did last year.

I'll probably grab a Wyrmwood dice set + vault + tower with their upcoming Dispel KS and call it a day for a bit.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I suspect this is working within Japan thing. While the forms are a pain in the arse to fill out, the Japanese postal service is (in my Limited experience) excellent.

No doubt, but when your response as a creator to parcel tracking is "Why are you asking US? Ask your post office" it's not great optics.

A hole in the wall store here in Aus has it up for preorder for super cheap, so if it turns out to be actually decent I can always buy it as a gift for a friend (And then play that gift :v:)

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mythic Ragnarok added tiers for Pantheon all in (569$) and Ragnarok+Pantheon all in (799$). If they reach 2 mil on the campaign the stretch goal reward is now a MBR deluxe storage box.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Final Girl backers, you may want to wait until you're ready for some heavy reading before you read this month's update. The project isn't sunk, but it has an unfathomable left-field problem.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

you can't say that and not poast it

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cat Face Joe posted:

you can't say that and not poast it
Spoilers for privacy and content:

The guy responsible for writing the carnival scenario murdered his wife and mother-in-law before killing himself. The FG crew is halting production until they figure out whether they should rewrite or Alan Smithee the box, which already has miniatures made edit:MODELED for it.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 19, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

The guy responsible for writing the carnival scenario murdered his wife and mother-in-law before killing himself. The FG crew is halting production until they figure out whether they should rewrite or Alan Smithee the box, which already has miniatures made for it.

Holy poo poo.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

well

kinda sorry i asked but thanks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Father Wendigo posted:

The guy responsible for writing the carnival scenario murdered his wife and mother-in-law before killing himself. The FG crew is halting production until they figure out whether they should rewrite or Alan Smithee the box, which already has miniatures made edit:MODELED for it.

They already made the decision. They're proceeding with publication but crediting the scenario to the original game designers.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah hell of a thing to happen, god drat. I really wouldn't have blamed them if they just cut that content entirely.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah hell of a thing to happen, god drat. I really wouldn't have blamed them if they just cut that content entirely.

Neither would most people. And I think that if this were three or six months ago they would have ditched it and either offered partial refunds or rewritten the scenario in house. But it's too late now; they've paid to have it made, using our money. They may not be able to absorb the loss of scrapping it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Considering most kickstarters run on pretty thin margins I wouldn't be surprised they can't afford to rewrite (causing delays) or scrap (wasting sculpt money).

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Blizzard superdesigner makes his mark in tabletop.

Nothing about this looks any different from a million heartbreakers that already exist, except for the incredible amount of money that went into the art and presentation. The no humans/elves thing descends from Talislanta. The serpent mark feels like an Eberron thing, although it may differ mechanically. The 'this came from the designer's home D&D campaign' is also a real chestnut at this point. The map is a traditional pseudo-Europe look to it with ocean to the west of a large peninsula and a huge landmass to the east. It's just an amazingly generic RPG product.

I expect the polish and shine to it will be impressive, though.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Blizzard superdesigner's past portfolio of the most generic things to ever generic brings you the latest in mass-market generic fantasy!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's not extruded fantasy product any more, the modern term for the process is additive manufacturing. You use a 3D printer and poo poo.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
desert dwarf right in there with the fantasy names and apostrophes killed me

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Give me dessert dwarf or give me the cheque.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
will you be a ma'ii, salamar, desert dwarf (brown skin), xu'keen, or atsaad

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Nothing says original like making a setting for 5th edition D&D.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
what is that farmer doing in the hearthvale pic?

and more importantly why is the snake an 8 everywhere but an O on the deluxe challenge coin edit: I am sorry I waited for it to rotate and it is an 8 on the other side

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
anyway I hope it works out to be a pretty cool product that people have fun with, improving on the default 5e experience and generating exciting stories for players and gms alike, and that everyone who backs it feels like they got their money's worth even if they only get around to reading it on the loo

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

After the boardgaming table I backed ended up being a scam I bought a removable topper and am glad I did. We get to keep the nice dining room table and it seems way higher quality. They're doing a third Kickstarter and the prices seem to be the same. If I had the space I would probably prefer to have a dedicated table but I don't so this is perfect. The guy is a weirdo but communicates well and was ahead of schedule for their last run of these.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burky/game-toppers-30-upgrading-every-game-you-play?ref=ceieph

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Desert Dwarf kind of sounds like someone mixing and matching random attempts at slurs to see if any of them "stick".

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

Desert Dwarf kind of sounds like someone mixing and matching random attempts at slurs to see if any of them "stick".

Of course you think that, you Tundra Pixie.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Polygon had a writeup about that setting Kickstarter a few weeks ago and every single thing I read screamed Eberron but not as good.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

rantmo posted:

Polygon had a writeup about that setting Kickstarter a few weeks ago and every single thing I read screamed Eberron but not as good.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one getting that vibe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I was on the fence about John Company, and meant to drop my pledge to $1 and rebuy in pledge manager. Too later now, thanks past me!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

EverettLO posted:

Blizzard superdesigner makes his mark in tabletop.

Nothing about this looks any different from a million heartbreakers that already exist, except for the incredible amount of money that went into the art and presentation. The no humans/elves thing descends from Talislanta. The serpent mark feels like an Eberron thing, although it may differ mechanically. The 'this came from the designer's home D&D campaign' is also a real chestnut at this point. The map is a traditional pseudo-Europe look to it with ocean to the west of a large peninsula and a huge landmass to the east. It's just an amazingly generic RPG product.

I expect the polish and shine to it will be impressive, though.

That map is Middle Earth with the serial numbers filed off.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Doctor Zero posted:

That map is Middle Earth with the serial numbers filed off.

Little closer to home than that.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Tell me more about Booty Bay.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hollandia posted:

Tell me more about Booty Bay.

It's a Goblin pirate town. Honestly as far as vanilla cities go it's really neat, got a very ramshackle piled up shipwreck aesthetic and you get there through a tunnel that starts with giant shark jaws and leads past secret cave rivers and stuff. A little Goonies, a little Pirates of the Caribbean.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Despite my judgement I backed the Lasting Tales KS for the Fantasy Series 2 minis.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/monster-hunter-world-the-board-game Any opinions on the Monster Hunter World kickstarter that just went up? I've generally ignored minis games before but this looks good at first glance. I saw some comments on the Facebook for it that people think it's light on content compared to other big profile ones but I'm clueless about that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Why anyone would trust Steamforged to make a good Monster Hunter game is beyond me.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Memnaelar posted:

Why anyone would trust Steamforged to make a good Monster Hunter game is beyond me.

Bad track record?

Edit: Just did a search of the forum on them and yeah, guess I'm avoiding this one lol.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Monster Hunter boardgame brings with it the same questions as when I saw Darkest Dungeon/Dark Souls/Devil May Cry(!?) get boardgames: what can a boardgame version of these things do that the videogame can't? Darkest Dungeon was especially egregious with this because it was basically "the videogame, but worse?" and DMC as a board game seems like a complete antithesis to the high-octane action it's meant to evoke.

A MonHun boardgame with other players would likely just make me wish I was playing it online with my 3 friends. From the look/sound of it, it's still encased in the limitations of the IP, unlike other big monster games like Primal: The Awakening or Oathsworn that can do different stuff (presuming they are in fact similar monster hunt games.) I have no idea what the point is to games like this; they always get funded immediately and seem to only attract people who are huge fans of the IP and don't give a poo poo on spending for boutique board games. The miniatures seem cool but in a game like MonHun wherein the colors of some variants are important, I probably wouldn't even be able to do my own color schemes without making it confusing.