Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the fun of paying 1300 for a computer that looks like a child's toy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what a dumbass take

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FCKGW posted:

Breaking: Goons don’t understand why fun things like “colors” and “emojis” appeal to normal people.

always fun to read these event threads after the products in them go on to massive success

OG iPad thread is a treat

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mediaphage posted:

lol the imacs look great, you people are loving weird

they're going to sell bananas

It's this. I don't even need a new iMac at all but drat that purple one is tempting as hell.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mediaphage posted:

lol the imacs look great, you people are loving weird

they're going to sell bananas
Maybe I'm just hyper-online but I feel like the large majority of people who were hoping for an updated iMac were "prosumer" users who absolutely hated the chin and fat bezels. This new iMac is an upgrade of the old 21.5" model that not many people talked or cared about.

I'm sure it will do just fine, and honestly bringing back the colors will probably go a large way to grabbing a particular marketshare. But if you were someone who was specifically waiting to see what the new M1 iMac would be, you're probably pretty disappointed.

White bezels is also an interesting design choice. They're really banking on that G3 nostalgia.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

always fun to read these event threads after the products in them go on to massive success

OG iPad thread is a treat

The iPhone thread was the same thing lol

"IT'S HUGE WHAT BULLSHIT"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The chin is where people in design companies stick post-it notes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Purple is the ultimate color for electronic devices. It’s scientifically proven

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

mediaphage posted:

i dunno, the 27-inch imac has always had better specs without being an imac pro

Yeah, it's just that the iMac Pro seems to be redundant right now and I think Apple has stopped production? So much of their range outperforms it tremendously, but it is the nicest-looking iMac they've made. It seems that pulling the iMac Pro from sale might be getting ready for the new 27" (whenever they come) to adopt that branding since the 24" is now just "iMac" so keeping the same name for the 30" (or whatever size it ends up being) would be silly when they have the normal/pro naming convention across ranges such as iPad & MacBook.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hatty posted:

Purple is the ultimate color for electronic devices. It’s scientifically proven

:hmmyes:

Watching the full cast now (I missed most of it due to an appointment) and hot drat the new Apple TV is nice as well- the color balance is great and FINALLY a loving nice remote!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

American McGay posted:

Maybe I'm just hyper-online but I feel like the large majority of people who were hoping for an updated iMac were "prosumer" users who absolutely hated the chin and fat bezels. This new iMac is an upgrade of the old 21.5" model that not many people talked or cared about.

I'm sure it will do just fine, and honestly bringing back the colors will probably go a large way to grabbing a particular marketshare. But if you were someone who was specifically waiting to see what the new M1 iMac would be, you're probably pretty disappointed.

if you're the type who refreshes apple threads i guess? but chances are you wouldn't have bought a 21.5-/24-inch imac anyway

the people who buy these will vastly prefer all this stuff. the imacs look awesome, they're reasonably priced, and they have tons of useful features, especially right now wrt telepresence

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FCKGW posted:

Breaking: Goons don’t understand why fun things like “colors” and “emojis” appeal to normal people.

Who is talking about sales figures here? I'm just talking about what I wanted and others are just saying they don't like how it looks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

lol why

“I need my computer to look as ‘nothing’ as possible, thx apple”

they made that computer for you dude, it’s called Mac Mini

you can put it in a cabinet and never see it again

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, it's just that the iMac Pro seems to be redundant right now and I think Apple has stopped production? So much of their range outperforms it tremendously, but it is the nicest-looking iMac they've made. It seems that pulling the iMac Pro from sale might be getting ready for the new 27" (whenever they come) to adopt that branding since the 24" is now just "iMac" so keeping the same name for the 30" (or whatever size it ends up being) would be silly when they have the normal/pro naming convention across ranges such as iPad & MacBook.

it's not redundant so much as officially discontinued

there's no need for the imac pro to exist with dece imacs, mac pros, and the pro display xdr

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I love* that they went to the effort to apply the lovely matte colour finish to the big stupid chin but made the display surround glossy white, giving maximum emphasis to the facetime camera and making the divide as stark as possible.

Like bloody hell say whatever about the chin, I'll dunk on it until the heat death of the universe, but why did they make the display surround white?!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The iPhone thread was the same thing lol

"IT'S HUGE WHAT BULLSHIT"

so many posts like if I see somebody with this in public I’m gonna shove them to the ground, jfc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mu Zeta posted:

Who is talking about sales figures here? I'm just talking about what I wanted and others are just saying they don't like how it looks.

Good news they will still sell you a boring grey or silver one.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

so many :reject: posts about a computer lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fedule posted:

I love* that they went to the effort to apply the lovely matte colour finish to the big stupid chin but made the display surround glossy white, giving maximum emphasis to the facetime camera and making the divide as stark as possible.

Like bloody hell say whatever about the chin, I'll dunk on it until the heat death of the universe, but why did they make the display surround white?!

because it looks better with the bright colours

no doubt some will prefer black but it wouldn't look as smooth imo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those new iMacs look swank. I love it. Apropos of nothing I just switched my work laptop from a 2016 13" to an M1 MBP and it's like night and loving day -- maybe because of the fresh install or the new keyboard or something but I am in LOVE with this laptop. I did deck it out though, 16GB RAM and big SSD. The iMacs aren't configurable on the store yet but is 16GB RAM a BTO option? They all show 8GB max right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ready for MBAs to come in the same colors this fall Tim

also ready for the entire pc industry to trip over its dick bringing candy colors to everything again

miss those BondiOcean Blue eMachines

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

e: no no no!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

so many posts like if I see somebody with this in public I’m gonna shove them to the ground, jfc
Hmm I feel like this didn't actually happen. You seem kinda aggressive about the whole thing tbh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sorry for insulting the sanctity of these awful looking computers Mac thread

lol don’t pretend anybody’s butthurt here except you dude, all anybody here did was disagree

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

also ready for the entire pc industry to trip over its dick bringing candy colors to everything again

I will replace my space grey 2019 MBP with a purple whatever the second it's available.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

mediaphage posted:

it's not redundant so much as officially discontinued

there's no need for the imac pro to exist with dece imacs, mac pros, and the pro display xdr

I dunno, I think the M1X/M1Z/M1HAL3000 upgraded chip there's been rumors about for ages is likely being reserved for when the 27" iMac models make the jump to Apple silicon, and it makes sense for them to adopt the 'Pro' naming convention, imo.

I'm just dying for them to announce them already :negative:

mediaphage posted:

because it looks better with the bright colours

no doubt some will prefer black but it wouldn't look as smooth imo

I think it would look nice if it was fully consistent? E.g. a light blue that isn't just the back and chin, but also the same color for the bezel around the screen. It's the white that kinda throws things for me but at the end of the day it's just nitpicking, the new design does look fun and refreshing. I know there's a silver option but an all-white model would probably look really nice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

Hmm I feel like this didn't actually happen. You seem kinda aggressive about the whole thing tbh.

ummmmmm ok. American McGay doesn’t like the tone of my posting. :jerkbag:

you should leaf through the OG iPad launch thread if you’re curious, I don’t owe you anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I dunno, I think the M1X/M1Z/M1HAL3000 upgraded chip there's been rumors about for ages is likely being reserved for when the 27" iMac models make the jump to Apple silicon, and it makes sense for them to adopt the 'Pro' naming convention, imo.

I think it would look nice if it was fully consistent? E.g. a light blue that isn't just the back and chin, but also the same color for the bezel around the screen. It's the white that kinda throws things for me but at the end of the day it's just nitpicking, the new design does look fun and refreshing. I know there's a silver option but an all-white model would probably look really nice.

they might at that. i'd certainly like one, regardless of what it's called.

as for the colour around the display, i think you'd want a neutral colour, whether all white or all black, around the display itself so that colours on it don't look weird

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SUNKOS posted:

Its the exact same design mistake they made with the original iPhone SE, having a coloured back and a white front that then clashes. They fixed it for the SE2 having a black front but see multiple posts in the event thread about no-one at Apple talking to each other.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The iMac reveal was one of those moments where I imagined that Steve Jobs was still around so he could poo poo down the throat of whoever thought that an all-in-one desktop ought to have a power brick.

And I didn't catch it during the broadcast, but moving the ethernet port is ridiculous.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

njsykora posted:

Its the exact same design mistake they made with the original iPhone SE, having a coloured back and a white front that then clashes. They fixed it for the SE2 having a black front but see multiple posts in the event thread about no-one at Apple talking to each other.

except the imacs explicitly do not clash. you don't have to like it, i guess, but saying that black wouldn't clash but white does doesn't make sense imo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah I agree- I would love if they had a black bezel around the screen but eh. I am interested in seeing the 'pro' iMac that comes eventually with a larger screen.

edit: I'll bet a bunch of bananas that a third party will come out with a black-edged screen protector for the new iMac by summertime.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Baronash posted:

The iMac reveal was one of those moments where I imagined that Steve Jobs was still around so he could poo poo down the throat of whoever thought that an all-in-one desktop ought to have a power brick.

And I didn't catch it during the broadcast, but moving the ethernet port is ridiculous.

don’t look at any of the old Cinema Displays then

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

don’t look at any of the old Cinema Displays then

A cinema display explicitly isn't an all-in-one desktop?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

I legitimately wish I had bought one from circuit city when they were being firesaled out, solely for the funny/collectibility factor.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh poo poo I didn't know that the MTrackpads were going color as well. I need to replace my 1st gen one so hey that's cool.

I wonder if the new keyboard with the touch ID will work with the M1 Mini as well

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SUNKOS posted:

I mean, I think the rumor mill has been fairly consistent that the M1X or whatever is not expected until the late 2021.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Interesting that the low-end M1 iMac has no wired networking, it's WiFi only unless you want to waste one of the two available TB/USB4 ports on an Ethernet dongle.

Hmm, there's pink but I can't get a race car red IMac..

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Interesting that the low-end M1 iMac has no wired networking, it's WiFi only unless you want to waste one of the two available TB/USB4 ports on an Ethernet dongle.

It does, the port is on the power brick because of courage or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Baronash posted:

It does, the port is on the power brick because of courage or whatever.

are you gonna run it without a power brick?