Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I wonder if the new keyboard with the touch ID will work with the M1 Mini as well

No reason why it shouldn't, the M1 Mini does have a Secure Enclave..

Noted, it's not available as a standalone product at the moment, but I expect it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Interesting that the low-end M1 iMac has no wired networking, it's WiFi only unless you want to waste one of the two available TB/USB4 ports on an Ethernet dongle.

Hmm, there's pink but I can't get a race car red IMac..

If these are anodized aluminum there's only so many colors that can be done but yeah red is of them. But since it's electrochemically altering the color it's only specific shades really. There's nothing stopping you from actually doing auto paint on the iMac and actually going for a candy-apple red other than throwing your warranty out the window.

Binary Badger posted:

No reason why it shouldn't, the M1 Mini does have a Secure Enclave..

Noted, it's not available as a standalone product at the moment, but I expect it will be.

Yeah I'm hoping that they come along by summertime.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Baronash posted:

It does, the port is on the power brick because of courage or whatever.

The low end one does not include wired internet on the power brick and also only has 2 ports instead of 4.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

bro those new imacs, holy gently caress they look so poo poo

If by poo poo you mean really loving good, yes you're correct. (seriously people who don't think these look good are probably running god awful RBG monster cases with expenseve mechanical keyboards covered in cheeto dust and are not the use cases for these computers). These are great desktops for 90% of standard use cases. (Office work, photo editing, web browsing). I question the white boarder, but yeah. They look modern. Hopefully the bigger one has black borders (and I suspect some different cool colors as well) but very stoked about what my future desktop has potential for.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I think the new computers look fine and convey well that they are Apple Branded. I just want bigger ones with better specs.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm glad I've held off on panic buying an Intel 27" before they're discontinued as well since apparently Parallels has been updated now and runs Windows 10 great and incredibly fast which has me confident that whenever the 27" is replaced it will be more than capable of meeting my needs, and Parallels seems so much better than Bootcamp with how quickly you can jump between OS's :stare: I didn't think they'd ever find a solution but Microsoft has been very quick with getting an ARM version of W10 in development and available to insiders which is awesome, and Parallels just looks magic. I watched a benchmark video and Windows 10 running on an M1 MacBook is faster than a Windows laptop by a significant margin, it's crazy.

Binary Badger posted:

Interesting that the low-end M1 iMac has no wired networking, it's WiFi only unless you want to waste one of the two available TB/USB4 ports on an Ethernet dongle.

I wonder if it can be upgraded like other iMacs allow to 10 Gigabit Ethernet or that's just another thing that they're saving for the 27" refresh?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

I'm glad I've held off on panic buying an Intel 27" before they're discontinued as well since apparently Parallels has been updated now and runs Windows 10 great and incredibly fast which has me confident that whenever the 27" is replaced it will be more than capable of meeting my needs, and Parallels seems so much better than Bootcamp with how quickly you can jump between OS's :stare: I didn't think they'd ever find a solution but Microsoft has been very quick with getting an ARM version of W10 in development and available to insiders which is awesome, and Parallels just looks magic. I watched a benchmark video and Windows 10 running on an M1 MacBook is faster than a Windows laptop by a significant margin, it's crazy.

I wonder if it can be upgraded like other iMacs allow to 10 Gigabit Ethernet or that's just another thing that they're saving for the 27" refresh?

It has TB ports, so you just need a TB to 10gb adapter and your set.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah limited to 8gb hard no

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah limited to 8gb hard no

It isn't. You just can't config them yet. If you go to tech specs it says you can spec them with up to 16g unified memory.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

badjohny posted:

It isn't. You just can't config them yet. If you go to tech specs it says you can spec them with up to 16g unified memory.

Even being the case and lol why wouldn’t it be since the mini can do it, gimme gimme gimme 16 cores and 32/64GB

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ok Comboomer posted:

are you gonna run it without a power brick?

There shouldn't be a power brick.

badjohny posted:

The low end one does not include wired internet on the power brick

:psyduck: this is a $1300 computer.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 20, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can get more ram in the new iPad than you can get in the new iMac.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
no, you can get the same amount

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

American McGay posted:

You can get more ram in the new iPad than you can get in the new iMac.

Yeah I think this is the dumbest, most glaring thing. Like its clear they're going to differentiate and introduce a Pro model but I need to replace my MacPro yesterday.

I'd begrudgingly buy at 16GB but if I'm buying a brand new Mac I want to future proof and 8gb ain't it chief.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah I think this is the dumbest, most glaring thing. Like its clear they're going to differentiate and introduce a Pro model but I need to replace my MacPro yesterday.

lol you guys i swear to god

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Sorry I don't want to do personal creative stuff on my work issued, Jamf'd MBP and Macs are expensive?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
...So can we get the new keyboard with TouchID for other Macs?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

then buy a mac mini and hook up a pre existing display in the meantime. there are criticisms to be made about apples strategies but being wrong about how much ram they have is dumb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

...So can we get the new keyboard with TouchID for other Macs?

they haven’t mentioned but personally i’d be surprised if you can’t get it for any device with an m series chip

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Crunchy Black posted:

Even being the case and lol why wouldn’t it be since the mini can do it, gimme gimme gimme 16 cores and 32/64GB

It's that and the storage for me. I definitely think this is a base casual use design for people that don't really care and the replacement for the 27" will be when we see some great hardware specs that really elevate it above the current range. To be honest though, even for casual use 256GB storage seems low these days.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

It's that and the storage for me. I definitely think this is a base casual use design for people that don't really care and the replacement for the 27" will be when we see some great hardware specs that really elevate it above the current range. To be honest though, even for casual use 256GB storage seems low these days.

agree

personally i think it’s silly for the ipad pro to still start at 128

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

mediaphage posted:

agree

personally i think it’s silly for the ipad pro to still start at 128

I was actually really surprised that the iPad Pro goes up to 2TB storage (I think?) because that is really impressive. That the new iMac doesn't even offer half of that seems odd but I think they're ensuring that there will be major differences between this and the new 27" and I imagine that informed the choice of hardware specs a lot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Baronash posted:

wait what

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I was actually really surprised that the iPad Pro goes up to 2TB storage (I think?) because that is really impressive. That the new iMac doesn't even offer half of that seems odd but I think they're ensuring that there will be major differences between this and the new 27" and I imagine that informed the choice of hardware specs a lot.

yeah although $2700cad hoooooo boy

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Baronash posted:

There shouldn't be a power brick.

Why is having a power brick such a big deal? They're ugly but they're also sitting behind your desk.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s actually a really great place for it
:shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronash posted:

The poor people power brick doesn't have one actually.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

MarcusSA posted:

That’s actually a really great place for it
:shrug:

agreed. why would i want to run an ethernet cable into the back of my monitor when i can run it into the mandatory power brick? the brick is a whole other thing but as long as you have one it's smart to put the port there

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I assume that means no built in 10 Gigabit Ethernet anyway unless you plug in a dongle.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i agree that it’s dumb the cheap one doesn’t have it

not because i think it’s a big deal for consumers as much as for education customers tho imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I assume that means no built in 10 Gigabit Ethernet anyway unless you plug in a dongle.

at least for now. kinda wonder if they’ll offer it as an optional plug variant for the 27-inch at some point.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Inept posted:

Why is having a power brick such a big deal? They're ugly but they're also sitting behind your desk.

My desk doesn't have a back, which means power bricks and the extra cabling just sit there for my feet to bump into and as constant visual clutter. Ethernet on the brick compounds this problem, since now the ethernet cable has to run down and across the floor.

This in contrast to two cables running directly from the wall and straight into the back of the computer. Clean and simple.

And, more generally, it defies the all-in-one convention of these machines. All-in-one-except-the-power-supply-because-it-added-2mm-and-we-hate-fans-sorry doesn't have quite the same ring.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 20, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Baronash posted:

My desk doesn't have a back, which means power bricks and the extra cabling just sit there for my feet to bump into and as constant visual clutter. Ethernet on the brick compounds this problem, since now the ethernet cable has to run down and across the floor.

This in contract to two cables running directly from the wall and straight into the back of the computer. Clean and simple.

I get that, but the difference between a small brick and a cable to me isn't that big, and why you buy cages to go underneath the desk. I'd also rather have one cable than two going onto the desk itself.

I'll laugh if there ends up being a weird interference issue though. I'm not sure how ethernet existing right alongside power will not cause crosstalk issues.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I love the new iMac designs.

Is it likely the Macbook Air will see such a redesign this year or even the next year or two?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I bet dbrand will start selling black display frame vinyl.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it likely the Macbook Air will see such a redesign this year or even the next year or two?
I'd guess the Air will not get an M1X, so unlikely this year. But next year, who knows.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Baronash posted:

This in contract to two cables running directly from the wall and straight into the back of the computer. Clean and simple.

And, more generally, it defies the all-in-one convention of these machines. All-in-one-except-the-power-supply-because-it-added-2mm-and-we-hate-fans-sorry doesn't have quite the same ring.

this is easily solved with some attractive cable management

personally i’d much rather have the brick and not risk needing to hear a fan spin up. everyone has different priorities

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I bet dbrand will start selling black display frame vinyl.

totally agree and it will look dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Baronash posted:

Cable management and a foot rest easily take care of this. And it’s a better place to put the Ethernet. It just is.