Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mediaphage posted:

totally agree and it will look dumb

Black frame with the green, orange and purple will look sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mediaphage posted:

i agree that it’s dumb the cheap one doesn’t have it

not because i think it’s a big deal for consumers as much as for education customers tho imo

I'd expect to see an education-specific SKU with things like wired keyboards/mice by default, maybe a single Thunderbolt port and USB A ports.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

i agree that it’s dumb the cheap one doesn’t have it

not because i think it’s a big deal for consumers as much as for education customers tho imo

Yes, this makes me sad for a lab of iMacs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ziploc posted:

I bet dbrand will start selling black display frame vinyl.

didn’t dbrand just go bankrupt?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I would imaging any labs or whatever that really need wired ethernet will pay for the higher model, or drop 20 bucks on a usb3 to 1gb ethernet adapter. You can get a 5gb adapter for under 100.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

American McGay posted:

The poor people power brick doesn't have one actually.
they should be fined for a computer crime by not including an ethernet port on the "cheap" model

also I like the ethernet port in power brick design.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 20, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It should be noted that the previous iMacs had the power supply inside the machine itself; the M1 iMacs are so thin there's literally no way for them to shove power supply circuitry inside.

Power supplies, by their nature, also generate excess heat.. moving it outside the machine just makes sense.. anyone remember the huge power bricks that used to come with G4 Mac Minis and Apple ADC displays?

Personally, I'm happy they did that because having the power supply inside like that not only added to the heat issues iMacs had but also was something of a safety issue.. you needed to affix a big plastic shield to keep from touching the exposed circuitry of the power supply whenever you worked on one..

Also, yay that they put the Ethernet port in the power brick, that's one less cable that has to be made longer to reach up onto the desk, and also one less tether to worry about when adjusting the iMac screen or its position.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Baronash posted:

It does, the port is on the power brick because of courage or whatever.

The whole computer is 11mm thick. A typical RJ45 jack assembly is something like 18-20mm deep.

If they really really cared they probably could have come up with a solution, but... this is Apple. Thinness and aesthetics are going to win over what they think of as a legacy interface every single time.

SUNKOS posted:

I wonder if it can be upgraded like other iMacs allow to 10 Gigabit Ethernet or that's just another thing that they're saving for the 27" refresh?

They’re moving away from 10 gig Ethernet (it’s not in the M1 mini, either) and that’s probably the right choice. It’s going nowhere in the consumer/small-office space, there’s very little driving a need for it, and if you really do need it, you’ve got 8 lanes of PCIe right there on the back.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

didn’t dbrand just go bankrupt?

No? As far as I know dbrand is a low marginal cost high price business, it would be pretty laughable for them to spend themselves into bankruptcy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Of course, that's also one more custom Apple cable (magnetic and carries power and Ethernet) that's specific to the M1 iMac you have to keep in stock if it fails..

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

badjohny posted:

I would imaging any labs or whatever that really need wired ethernet will pay for the higher model, or drop 20 bucks on a usb3 to 1gb ethernet adapter. You can get a 5gb adapter for under 100.

Adapters can be removed. And will be because children are children. But yea might go for a higher model. Still sucks though.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
As an Easter egg at the very end of the stream (1:00:48) they tease the Ted Lasso's Shortbread recipe.

Also ok that you can buy an external hdd but isn't 256gb too small? :cmon:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

The whole computer is 11mm thick. A typical RJ45 jack assembly is something like 18-20mm deep.

If they really really cared they probably could have come up with a solution, but... this is Apple. Thinness and aesthetics are going to win over what they think of as a legacy interface every single time.

They’re moving away from 10 gig Ethernet (it’s not in the M1 mini, either) and that’s probably the right choice. It’s going nowhere in the consumer/small-office space, there’s very little driving a need for it, and if you really do need it, you’ve got 8 lanes of PCIe right there on the back.

As of today that’s not true. They just added the 10 gig to the mini for a $100 extra

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LionArcher posted:

As of today that’s not true. They just added the 10 gig to the mini for a $100 extra

makes me wonder if it’ll be an optional brick available on the imac then

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

mediaphage posted:

yeah although $2700cad hoooooo boy

You think that's bad? It costs $3777cad here! That's just using Google currency converter, though. We pay 20% VAT :gonk:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

You think that's bad? It costs $3777cad here! That's just using Google currency converter, though. We pay 20% VAT :gonk:

Do you get universal healthcare?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

For now. Doesn't Canada have universal healthcare as well?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

limaCAT posted:

As an Easter egg at the very end of the stream (1:00:48) they tease the Ted Lasso's Shortbread recipe.

It's way too small for a desktop, in my mind anything below 512gb is too small for a desktop and even that's pushing it. I'm fine with 256gb in my Macbook Air since I'm streaming a lot of stuff to it but I expect my desktop to be what I stream stuff from. That you can get a 256gb USB-C flash drive for under £30 now does help that for the laptop purposes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The SD card slot is gone on the 24-inch M1 iMac, d'oh!

Maybe it'll return in the 27/30 inch version?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This iMac seems to suck ???
8gb of ram and 512gb on the s tier one

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

yes it will be closer to 3100 with tax here. europeans never remember that north america has taxes too just not included in the price.

and canada fortunately has universal healthcare which is paid for via various taxes so it’s not a major complaint but it’s still just flat out a lot of money.

i paid 2100$ for my rmbp back in 2012 which i get was 9 years ago but still lordy. my first ipad fat 13-inch was something like $1200 including tax

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beergod posted:

The M1 is a pretty huge step up from intel macs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

beergod posted:

you can’t configure them yet. apple usually lets people add ram to base configs

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's the low end tier that they intend to sell to educational markets, of course it sucks compared to the higher tiers.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

MarcusSA posted:

The M1 is a pretty huge step up from intel macs

But not as good as the MacBook Pro m1? I’m sure with the thermals it will run faster (maybe?). This is just underwhelming to me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

beergod posted:

Upgrades to 16 gigs and up to 2tb

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

limaCAT posted:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
most complaints ITT so far boil down to frustrated horniness for M1X or whatever the bigger version of M1 ends up being called

i get it, i want that poo poo too, but lmao at complaining that the new smol imac continues to be the smol imac. all M1 Macs are the entry level versions of their product segment

it is disappointing that the entry level of the entry level has no ethernet, and when you pay more, putting the port on the brick is a little goofy, but other than that it looks excellent for what it is IMO

Inept posted:

I'll laugh if there ends up being a weird interference issue though. I'm not sure how ethernet existing right alongside power will not cause crosstalk issues.

this is not likely to be a problem. ethernet uses twisted pair wires to reduce susceptibility to interference, apple can also use shielding inside their dual purpose cable to reduce interference more, and finally I expect the brick puts out relatively clean DC power so it won't have a ton of noise on it either

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

mediaphage posted:

yes it will be closer to 3100 with tax here. europeans never remember that north america has taxes too just not included in the price.

*Laughs in Oregonian*

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple discontinued the old 4K Intel iMac

Apple did not discontinue the old 1080p Intel iMac

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hmmm, if you buy the base M1 iMac for $1299, you get to choose Blue, Green, Pink, or Silver, but you have to buy the $1499 model if you want Yellow, Orange, or Purple.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

No reason why it shouldn't, the M1 Mini does have a Secure Enclave..

Noted, it's not available as a standalone product at the moment, but I expect it will be.

Yeah, i'm really hoping I can use that keyboard with the M1 Mini's and Macbooks.

Also, one thing I haven't seen discussed, I'm curious to see how strong the magnet is on the iMac power cable. That kind of thing makes sense on a laptop, but I kind of don't want the power cable ripped out the back of my desktop if there's no battery inside. I'm hoping it's strong enough that it doesn't lift off when you tilt the screen. I'm assuming they've done their due diligence here, but i'm still curious!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Binary Badger posted:

Hmmm, if you buy the base M1 iMac for $1299, you get to choose Blue, Green, Pink, or Silver, but you have to buy the $1499 model if you want Yellow, Orange, or Purple.

Yes you have to pay extra for the bad colours or purple.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

Yes you have to pay extra for the bad colours or purple.

the yellow and orange are good tho

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

frogbs posted:

Yeah, i'm really hoping I can use that keyboard with the M1 Mini's and Macbooks.

Also, one thing I haven't seen discussed, I'm curious to see how strong the magnet is on the iMac power cable. That kind of thing makes sense on a laptop, but I kind of don't want the power cable ripped out the back of my desktop if there's no battery inside. I'm hoping it's strong enough that it doesn't lift off when you tilt the screen. I'm assuming they've done their due diligence here, but i'm still curious!
Good news and bad news.
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1384627313308880902

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Is there a picture of the new keyboard with the numerical pad? I see it is an option to add on, but don't see it shown anywhere.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mediaphage posted:

this is easily solved with some attractive cable management

personally i’d much rather have the brick and not risk needing to hear a fan spin up. everyone has different priorities
Wait are the new iMacs fanless?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

badjohny posted:

Is there a picture of the new keyboard with the numerical pad? I see it is an option to add on, but don't see it shown anywhere.
I'm not sure if there are any HQ renders out there but this is what they showed for 2 seconds during the presentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

American McGay posted:

I'm not sure if there are any HQ renders out there but this is what they showed for 2 seconds during the presentation

thanks!