Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

G Gundam rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Onmi posted:

Given Unicorn showing the foundation of the EF involved murdering people? Yeah, that sounds about right.

Good old Space CIA murdering leftists movement again.

What do you mean the crazy space nazis we secretly backed against the space leftists are throwing colonies at us now? Who could have seen that coming?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

So they're happy to just ignore anything that contradicts the point they want to take from a film so long as they know how to make a film? Okay, I guess. Are we going to keep doing this silly dance? Or can we actually engage in a conversation about the point that maybe Char's Counterattack doesn't really make the point you want to say it does, if only because so much of the setup the film chooses to include completely undercuts that point? As does the things the film chooses to show afterwards, for that matter.

The film doesn't explicitly provide anything to prove your point either. Anyone who isn't a Char or a chatbot that gained self-awareness can see there are no groups of people depicted in the movie that can be extrapolated to "all of humanity." The closest you get is the people in Sweetwater who 1) lived through the One Year War and 2) believe Char is fighting for their rights and dignity.

Char is literally repeating Operation British but rather than the goal of "destroy an important military target and terrify the enemy into submission," the goal is "literally render our home planet uninhabitable for hundreds or thousands of years and kill billions in the process." The smaller drops like Fifth Luna are easier to rationalize as warning shots, but dropping Axis is a moment where you have to square yourself being complicit in genocide. Similar events have occurred in ZZ and retroactively via 0083. Both of those colony drops are conducted by groups of extremists that feel no real connection to Earth (Axis Zeon) or are hard core Ghiren flavor contolists (Delaz/Jamitov).

The movie establishes that Sweetwater was created to house refugees from the One Year War. They absolutely remember what happened, how many died, etc etc. The average person from Sweetwater who supports Neo Zeon but not enough to sign up and fight themselves is going to turn on their TV and see reports of Char putting Axis on a collision course with Earth. Is that person, who remembers the colony drops, the year of meatgrinder warfare, and the literal half of humanity being wiped out, going to cheer like a psychopath or are they going to have second thoughts?

Char and Neo Zeon are a bunch of brain-poisoned extremists, and even in the rank-and-file Neo Zeon, we see people who aren't ideologically committed to killing the Earth. On earth, we see 7 different people:

Two are children waking up in the middle of the night who probably don't understand the significance of what they're looking at. They represent the innocence of youth and hope for the future. A pretty well established Tomino theme.

One is an old person laying in bed, looking out a window after parting the curtain. This is the old order, and the way the scene is framed reminds me of someone on their death bed. Literally the death of the old order.

Three are the teenagers from Lhasa that Quess was with, representing the young adults today responsible for rebuilding from the ashes of the old order from a perspective much like the two children in the first metaphor.

And finally, Mirai and Shaymin, who represent young adults today who experienced the horrors of the old order, and carry the wisdom to not repeat the mistakes of the past.

None of these people have reason to see the rock and say, "Gosh I hope that thing falls right on my head!" In fact, they're going to hope the opposite! Furthermore, we know that most application of Newtype powers are subconscious, with only "awakened" Newtypes like Amuro and Lalah really being able to control the whole lets-go-have-a-debate-in-newtype-space thing. Therefore we can confidently say that Newtype powers are not Goku's Spirit Bomb requiring Amuro to consciously ask the world to lend him its power and all the people of Earth to throw their hands up to the sky so he can absorb their Qi. A subconscious desire for a better world and hope for the future are enough. Which is explicitly the Amuro Is Right point Tomino is pushing.

tl;dr your read on the events is entirely divorced from the human experience. This isn't some filmmaker's conceit. I understand how you get your conclusion if you are adamant in not accepting any input or inference not explicitly stated within the film. But that isn't how media is consumed or analyzed. CCA exists within the context of the world of 1989, the experiences of Tomino and his artistic vision, and the experiences of the viewer. You can't just erase human behavior from your analysis like the characters are video game NPCs with preprogrammed states.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

And then in Victory a fetus saves Uso because Fuala is overwhelmed by psychic newtype baby waves.

Beltorchika's Children did it first.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Good old Space CIA murdering leftists movement again.

What do you mean the crazy space nazis we secretly backed against the space leftists are throwing colonies at us now? Who could have seen that coming?

What do you mean this isn't a WWII metaphor?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Thing is, Fith Luna would have likely killed and displaced billions of people indirectly by hitting Tibet. The fallout (massive rapid flooding for example) would wipe out China and India.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tldr dropping big poo poo on planetoids = bad

zeon could use this as a handy flashcard for whenever your masked commander offers that up as a plan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

00 or IBO rewatch?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

00 or IBO rewatch?

Watch a good show imo. Either S1 of 00 or something else entirely.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

S2 is just as good tho

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

S2 is just as good tho

Strong disagree but to each their own.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

IBO owns, you should def rewatch it.

Though that being said I need to rewatch 00 myself one of these days, it's been a few years.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaius Marius posted:

00 or IBO rewatch?

00 but stop after season 1

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seconding the IBO vote.

Different people have different priorities, but I've got a personal preference for Tekkadan's bull in a china shop approach over Celestial Being's elaborate scenarios.

Of course, I still haven't seen 00 all in one go yet, (eventually planning to, but the original is my current watch) so I can't provide as full a prospective as some others.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

00S2 is fine and you should watch it. It doesn't quite live up to the potential showed by S1, and it has some other flaws, but there's plenty more there that's good. To list just a few, the father-daughter relationship between Sergei and Soma is one of my favorites in all of Gundam and features two scenes in particular that never fail to make me tear up, the battle against the collapsing space elevator is incredible for the way it pulls all of the factions together into a common cause, only for them to almost immediately resume fighting amongst themselves once the threat has passed, and the (S2) second ED is a beautiful song with animation that completes imagery shown to us in the (S2) first ED in a way that's made it one of my favorite songs of the entire franchise.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

The average person from Sweetwater who supports Neo Zeon but not enough to sign up and fight themselves is going to turn on their TV and see reports of Char putting Axis on a collision course with Earth. Is that person, who remembers the colony drops, the year of meatgrinder warfare, and the literal half of humanity being wiped out, going to cheer like a psychopath or are they going to have second thoughts?

We have literally zero indication, because the movie makes no attempt to let us know how anyone at Sweetwater feels about the drop in particular. I'm not sure how you extrapolate that out in to "they all changed their mind when they saw Char was super serial", but if the movie has nothing to say about it then I don't see why we should assume it happened. The only thing we do know is that they continued to support Neo Zeon even after the 5th Luna drop, and that no-one in UC up to that point has had their mind swayed by the threat of a colony drop. At which point, why assume this case is different?

Warmachine posted:

On earth, we see 7 different people:

Two are children waking up in the middle of the night who probably don't understand the significance of what they're looking at. They represent the innocence of youth and hope for the future. A pretty well established Tomino theme.

One is an old person laying in bed, looking out a window after parting the curtain. This is the old order, and the way the scene is framed reminds me of someone on their death bed. Literally the death of the old order.

Three are the teenagers from Lhasa that Quess was with, representing the young adults today responsible for rebuilding from the ashes of the old order from a perspective much like the two children in the first metaphor.

You do not need to be mature or cynical to find the threat of a big object falling from the sky scary. If people are going about their lives as normal throughout the film, bar Hong Kong, and no-one in the aftermath of Axis' exit from the atmosphere seems to find it even a mild relief, then they probably weren't scared of it. You're also double dipping on your themes there by having youth represented twice, and still ignoring the fact that there's a baby's cry heard from one of the closing scenes of a cottage too; meaning youth is apparently represented thrice and not once.

Themes can be interpreted, but they are not definitive like plot. Your entire read is just that: your read. It could be finding meaning in places none was intended, and there's no authoritative voice to support or deny any particular read. The things you are reading are also not incompatible with the idea that most people on Earth didn't know Axis was going to crash, that most people in the colonies didn't care and/or that the Axis Shock was only something a relatively small group were aware of or directly hoping for at the time it happened.

Warmachine posted:

None of these people have reason to see the rock and say, "Gosh I hope that thing falls right on my head!"

Outside Mirai and Cheimin we have no reason to assume any of them saw the rock or even know about it's possible fall going off what we're shown. An ignorance which is reinforced by (a) the Federation signing a treaty with Char that they assume means the threat of Axis is gone, which they would almost certainly tell the people on Earth and (b) Mirai saying that she knows better, which means that the Federation and other people don't and are accepting it. Not everyone is, going by the masses leaving Hong Kong, but lots of people must have given how calm the people and town we see in the end of the film are.

Warmachine posted:

tl;dr your read on the events is entirely divorced from the human experience.

Ah yes, the old nugget of "if you don't see it, you just don't understand humans!". Never mind that my points are predicated on the things the film chooses to show us or not include, and yours is basically entirely assumption about things never established; if I don't agree, I don't understand humans.

Warmachine posted:

This isn't some filmmaker's conceit. I understand how you get your conclusion if you are adamant in not accepting any input or inference not explicitly stated within the film. But that isn't how media is consumed or analyzed.

It absolutely is, unless you are dismissing plot from the analysis of a film entirely and only looking at the themes you want to see. Themes do no exist in a vacuum, and are built on the characters and plot of a work. You are basically assuming "a few Geara Doga pilots helped push Axis away; therefor everyone came together", but the things the film chooses to show us later undercut that point entirely, and show that no, just those people helped push Axis and other people didn't and are unhappy with the fact it's not falling. Which I wouldn't even say is inconsistent with my read on Tomino, by the way, if we're going to get in to themes, because I would say it's a pretty consistent theme of Tomino's work that he's cynical about human nature. As such, I don't think it's outside the bounds of possibility that he would have a literal miracle happen and most people either not know, not care or not agree with it it and for things to almost immediately go right back to the status quo. That it might change a few hearts and minds, but most people would be unaffected. I would even say that we get someone doing exactly that in the film with Char, since he's in the middle of the Axis Shock and when he feels the warmth of human nature around him helping push back Axis his only response is to dismiss it as not making any difference and go right back to giving out to Amuro.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 21, 2021

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
It's rare to see someone spill so much ink to miss the very obvious point of a film, but here we are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea theres no point engaging with tsob anymore lol

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

00 or IBO rewatch?

I enjoyed my rewatching of IBO a lot more than my first watch. s2 particularly cares a lot more about its minor characters which are easier to keep fresh in your mind if you go in right after binging s1. Also the low points (Brewers, Naze) are a lot more tolerable once you already know they're coming.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

There never was.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Endorph posted:

I like to write many words, but tsob, friendo, boyo, you write too many words

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I like to write many words, but tsob, friendo, boyo, you write too many words

I like to write many words. If people just want to ignore them, then that's up to them. I don't regret writing them even when they're ignored.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Anshu posted:

(S2) second ED is a beautiful song with animation that completes imagery shown to us in the (S2) first ED in a way that's made it one of my favorite songs of the entire franchise.

This guy gets it.

I love the 4th ending so goddamn much that my next big gunpla project is to make 4 dioramas, each one replicating the shots of one of the dilapidated gundams. I'm only attempting this insanity because the ending owns that hard.

EDIT- I maintain that both IBO and 00 are good, watch both.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I enjoyed my rewatching of IBO a lot more than my first watch. s2 particularly cares a lot more about its minor characters which are easier to keep fresh in your mind if you go in right after binging s1. Also the low points (Brewers, Naze) are a lot more tolerable once you already know they're coming.

Yeah I really don't like the low points but ultimately the actual amount of runtime they make up is fairly miniscule, and ibo is mostly firing on all cylinders otherwise

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do we have any indication that the Netflix movie will be UC or something else?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tsob posted:

I like to write many words. If people just want to ignore them, then that's up to them. I don't regret writing them even when they're ignored.

Heck, that's the only sane mindset to post with these days :cheerdoge:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Netflix announcement specifically said "Mobile Suits" so it's not going to be a G Gundam series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
netflix is far too lame to make a g gundam movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they do a UC 0079 story they better keep the funky music.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arcsquad12 posted:

If they do a UC 0079 story they better keep the funky music.

What they really need to keep is Amuro screaming. That's no joke an important part of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Get some 20 something playing teen Amuro but keep Brad Swaile in the recording booth to dub over his screams.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Shits gonna come out and everyone will forget it exactly 14 hours later and the only time anyone will bring it up will be in “anime/real life/netflix adaptation” memes.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Endorph posted:

"Actually, this theme is represented three times, meaning you must be wrong about this theme being a thing" is certainly something I've not heard before.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DamnGlitch posted:

Shits gonna come out and everyone will forget it exactly 14 hours later and the only time anyone will bring it up will be in “anime/real life/netflix adaptation” memes.

The Netflix release might make things weird, but I guarantee you Legendary wants American Gundam to be a franchise. If it does even OK they'll probably at least make another to see if they can make consistent profit off it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Legendary can keep the Monsterverse running after their licensing agreement with Toho expires I hope that they can wrangle something similar with Bandai Sunrise.

Provided the movie is actually, you know, good.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 21, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I imagine the fact that Godzilla v Kong is the first/only major hit of the pandemic/lockdown, and pulled in $400 million just from the cinema alone will probably make everyone involved look on it fondly. I'm still holding out hope for a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover one of these days, even if Pacific Rim isn't the healthiest franchise in the world anymore.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rumor I've heard (without a source, but it seems plausible enough to pass on if it's taken with enough salt) is that it's going to be a version of the original Gundam, like the Origin. Basically Side 7 to Earth, but with Garma as the main antagonist so there can be a solid "battle won, war continues" ending in the event of sequels.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

chiasaur11 posted:

Rumor I've heard (without a source, but it seems plausible enough to pass on if it's taken with enough salt) is that it's going to be a version of the original Gundam, like the Origin. Basically Side 7 to Earth, but with Garma as the main antagonist so there can be a solid "battle won, war continues" ending in the event of sequels.

So, like...the first of the compilation trilogy but live action?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That would be ideal which is why I’m highly doubtful that’s true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It seems like something someone would guess because it made sense. And then gets passed on as a rumor based not on the strength of the source but because of how plausible it is.