Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
In space, no one can hear you squee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Topical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g4WjIFBiGw&t=151s

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

God drat it every time I see that trailer I get hype to try out Eve, and my poor wife has to talk me off the ledge.

It's F2P though?
You can have lots of fun with cheap non-Tech2 Stuff and maxing various L5 skills for the last 5% is an issue waaaayyyyy down the line so... download it and get your feet wet?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dark Off posted:

seems like i cant find example of maneuvering thrusters so that might have just been a failed prototype thing.

The dragon ATGM, it was pretty trash for the same reason as before that you only get x number of turns before you lose control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok4ZnMVxDl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmgUZXeTy6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL3karEqb20

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 21, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

God drat it every time I see that trailer I get hype to try out Eve, and my poor wife has to talk me off the ledge.

Let met silence all your temptations; EVE is a bad game.

One does not simply play eve. If you do, you'll just die and respawn and always have a tiny ship.

You have two ways to try to actually do exciting things in EVE: Grind for an insane amount of hours doing boring "mining", or joining a giant corporation

Grinding - slow, boring, not exciting, and if you leave high-sec people will just kill you over and over

Corporation - they give you a better ship, but then you spend 3 hours looking at your ship in dock like its a screensaver waiting for the word from your corp to actually undock and attack, maybe it gets called off, or maybe you actually finally leave dock and fly to some place to do battle. There's hundreds of ships. Combat is just a very simple strategy game of "shoot guns at this ship". You get targeted and blow up and you're out of the battle permanently. Fun? Nope. Sounds exciting to talk about though.

The actual gameplay of flying isn't very fun because you don't pilot your ship, you just lay in a co-ordinate and let the autopilot (or a pilot npc if you're in a massive carrier) actually take you to your position. So there's zero dogfighting or exciting battles. Everything about combat feels more like something from final fantasy. You shoot lasers at them, numbers come out, they shoot missiles at you, numbers come out. You both pop some consumable items to heal yourself or buff your shields, then more volleys of lasers and missiles and numbers and one of you blows up.

90% of the "real" game of EVE online is either managing spreadsheets to try to profit from the economy, or trolling/spying on people outside of the game so you can destroy their corporation.

EVE is almost more like an ARG than an actual videogame.

If you want a space game, play Elite Dangerous. If you find Elite boring, don't play space games. (or play TIE fighter)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

One does not simply play eve. If you do, you'll just die and respawn and always have a tiny ship.

You have two ways to try to actually do exciting things in EVE: Grind for an insane amount of hours doing boring "mining", or joining a giant corporation

Grinding - slow, boring, not exciting, and if you leave high-sec people will just kill you over and over

Corporation - they give you a better ship, but then you spend 3 hours looking at your ship in dock like its a screensaver waiting for the word from your corp to actually undock and attack, maybe it gets called off, or maybe you actually finally leave dock and fly to some place to do battle. There's hundreds of ships. Combat is just a very simple strategy game of "shoot guns at this ship". You get targeted and blow up and you're out of the battle permanently. Fun? Nope. Sounds exciting to talk about though.

The actual gameplay of flying isn't very fun because you don't pilot your ship, you just lay in a co-ordinate and let the autopilot (or a pilot npc if you're in a massive carrier) actually take you to your position. So there's zero dogfighting or exciting battles. Everything about combat feels more like something from final fantasy. You shoot lasers at them, numbers come out, they shoot missiles at you, numbers come out. You both pop some consumable items to heal yourself or buff your shields, then more volleys of lasers and missiles and numbers and one of you blows up.

90% of the "real" game of EVE online is either managing spreadsheets to try to profit from the economy, or trolling/spying on people outside of the game so you can destroy their corporation.

If you want a space game, play Elite Dangerous. If you find Elite boring, don't play space games. (or play TIE fighter)

I remember spending 6 hours trash talking, and hell playing other games with another pilot in a stealth fleet cause we were waiting for a titan pilot to log in. Rotated with 2 other guys over the course of 4 weeks. That's my experience with Eve. Thanks for reading.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
There are are plenty of fun space games, Star Wars: Squadrons, House of the Dying Sun only seems to be "your life, but in space" games that are dull.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 21, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

no_recall posted:

I remember spending 6 hours trash talking, and hell playing other games with another pilot in a stealth fleet cause we were waiting for a titan pilot to log in. Rotated with 2 other guys over the course of 4 weeks. That's my experience with Eve. Thanks for reading.

Yep. I'm not kidding when I say that the general experience of being a corporate soldier is sitting in dock spinning your ship and waiting for something to happen for literal hours.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
My experience with EVE free account:
- mine along bots, mostly alt-tabbed
- repeat the same missions over and over (until they banned level 4 missions for free players :v:)
- haul your poo poo in your stupid cargo ship fitted for surviveability in high-sec -> promptly get one shotted
- do mission in low sec -> get warp disabled by ship you cannot hit and get killed by others (this also takes like 10 seconds)
- try this exploration thingy with hacking minigame -> get one shotted by NPC
I hope I never download it again

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:reddit:Mini ME!!

https://v.redd.it/mqj849f98fu61/DASH_480.mp4

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pets are in!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Its a full fidelity model!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Eve is much better to read about than to actually play.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsXnFzYu10k&t=3810s
(watch from 1:03:30 to about 1:05:00)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://clips.twitch.tv/GiftedStylishChickpeaCclamChamp-iNNG4asJvefjRo6S

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 21, 2021

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I lost it when the camera decides to zoom in on the commando's face. :lol:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

FishMcCool posted:

I lost it when the camera decides to zoom in on the commando's face. :lol:

FOIP deaths really are the best XD

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm trying to imagine, given Crobear's incompetence, what other games would be like if they were directed by him?

Resident Evil? This zombie has 8k uncompressed textures, so try not to look at him to avoid freezing your game.

RPG? It takes 1000xp to level up. You only get 100xp per hour, and the count goes down when you're not playing.

Metal Gear? You never get to leave the cargo dock, because the developer won't make the rest of the game until they are happy with the puddle reflections.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Metal Gear? You never get to leave the cargo dock, because the developer won't make the rest of the game until they are happy with the puddle reflections.

Every Genome Soldier has a rich backstory influencing their character and behavior. This is revealed in a pdf you have to buy separately.

In the game this only extends to those first two soldiers, one of them cannot be distracted with the nudie mag, the other carries a left handed rifle. This has no gameplay significance cause you can't get the nudie mag at that point

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

I'm trying to imagine, given Crobear's incompetence, what other games would be like if they were directed by him?

Resident Evil? This zombie has 8k uncompressed textures, so try not to look at him to avoid freezing your game.

RPG? It takes 1000xp to level up. You only get 100xp per hour, and the count goes down when you're not playing.

metal gear would be poor comparison since it has ice cubes melting in real time .

more apt would be metal gear game where there is no metal gear you clip through walls and everything is single level.
oh and you can pay for metal gear jpg's that might be in the game in future.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Little late to the missile conversation, but the X games (Space sim/nested menus: The Game) have a weird arms race going on in the mod scene where point defense got REALLY effective, so folks would spam torpedoes from 10k away. It turns out that a screen of drones and small fighters is pretty effective at dealing with that so now best practice is to park 20km away from the target and launch several dozen swarm missiles that split into 8 warheads each that overwhelm the target before it even gets into visual range.

This is boring and ludicrously expensive but probably not all that unrealistic.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Dark Off posted:

metal gear would be poor comparison since it has ice cubes melting in real time .

more apt would be metal gear game where there is no metal gear you clip through walls and everything is single level.
oh and you can pay for metal gear jpg's that might be in the game in future.

The difference between Kojima and Roberts is that Kojima sees games to release.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I forget the nooo citcon lady.

Hope she's going alright

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Zaphod42 posted:

They hated him because he spoke the truth.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There's a very small very fun section of Eve, namely small gang PVP, and you need a big pile of money and in game mates to do it.

Corpo wars suck (particularly as you'll be flying with straight outta 2010 GBS), mining extra sucks.

I played for years and never mined, my god don't do it. It's not even good for grinding as it's monopolised by weirdos with 5-10 accounts for MAX EFFICIENCY.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

This is pretty much Kojima, only that he eventually releases.

Seriously the number of "holy poo poo, that can interact with this other thing? I never would have noticed!" things in Metal Gear games is unreal

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Isn't this basically exactly what Star Shitizens want?

Either treat the game as a not just a second job, but a second loving life to earn enough to buy a capital ship, or beg some player org to let you sweep floors on one of their multi-crew capital ships and hope they get into a combat and let you pew pew one of their guns for them, when they're not just doing cargo run quests and using your (possibly dead) body as a method to prevent their 3,000+ dollar ship from respawning?

Oh, and don't forget the open PVP anywhere and everywhere so if you DO try to make enough money mining or doing missions, someone with more ships and more time will just blow you up for shits and giggles because their ships have LTI and yours don't.

akkristor fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 21, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

akkristor posted:

Either treat the game as a not just a second job, but a second loving life to earn enough to buy a capital ship, or beg some player org to let you sweep floors on one of their multi-crew capital ships and hope they get into a combat and let you pew pew one of their guns for them, when their not just doing cargo run quests and using your (possibly dead) body as a method to prevent their 3,000+ dollar ship from respawning?

Oh, and don't forget the open PVP anywhere and everywhere so if you DO try to make enough money mining or doing missions, someone with more ships and more time will just blow you up for shits and giggles because their ships have LTI and yours don't.

Yes, but they want few more layers of fidelity on top of that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

akkristor posted:

Either treat the game as a not just a second job, but a second loving life to earn enough to buy a capital ship, or beg some player org to let you sweep floors on one of their multi-crew capital ships and hope they get into a combat and let you pew pew one of their guns for them, when they're not just doing cargo run quests and using your (possibly dead) body as a method to prevent their 3,000+ dollar ship from respawning?

This is what they want for others. They would be captains of their P2W Idrises giving orders to others, telling them to undock and fly into battle, mix some hairy robertses or just mop their floors.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This looks like another of those "inventory paper doll being spawned as an actual object gets stuck in the world and doesn't despawn when I close my inventory" bugs.

Obviously trivial because look at how detailed that mesh is. That's the important part. I bet he could see his tongue in 4K.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Living the dream

https://i.imgur.com/4JYWY3z.mp4

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

akkristor posted:

I don't think anyone who's still following this actually plays games. They play marketing materials.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

There's only one correct way to play EVE and I figured it out years ago.

Do what I did:
1) Read a bunch of stories and watch (short) video clips that make EVE sound cool
2) Make an account and play solo until you can upgrade to a destroyer (I went with the Thrasher but you can use any of them as long as you think it looks cool)
3) Now that you have a destroyer, fly around a little bit and think to yourself "Hell yeah I finally have a big ship" (it is imperative that you ignore any bigger ships you see)
4) Log off forever, content in the knowledge that you played EVE and got a big cool spaceship and never have to go back

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Do what I did:
1) Read a bunch of stories and watch (short) video clips that make EVE sound cool
2) Make an account and play solo until you can upgrade to a destroyer (I went with the Thrasher but you can use any of them as long as you think it looks cool)
3) Now that you have a destroyer, fly around a little bit and think to yourself "Hell yeah I finally have a big ship" (it is imperative that you ignore any bigger ships you see)
4) Log off forever, content in the knowledge that you played EVE and got a big cool spaceship and never have to go back

ROFL this is exactly what I did with the exception of #4, instead once I got the destroyer I went big balls and thought I could take on serious poo poo. About 15 minutes later I realize they misspelled "Destroyed."

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Beet Wagon posted:

Do what I did:

4) Log in every 3 months or so to add some more skills to the queue, because sunk cost fallacy on your 2004 account :negative:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

NumptyScrub posted:

4) Log in every 3 months or so to add some more skills to the queue, because sunk cost fallacy on your 2004 account :negative:

That amount of sub could buy you at least 2 idrises

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Zaphod42 posted:

Can I get some advice from someone that isn’t an obvious FUDster shill for Big Sim?

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Mirificus posted:

There is one limiting factor - Gary Oldman has to be still alive to use his likeness in Chapter Two... so we have that.

:allears:

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020
I played EVE for a while, never going back.

As a noob, I did the "obvious" thing and joined a hi-sec mining corp. I went to one op, saw a bunch of guys talking big game about their future financial plans while watching lasers buzz for hours on end, and left.

Then I piddled around in hi-sec mission-running, making diddly squat. Joined RvB and it was fun, but also felt very staged. It was also a net sink on my finances and was unsustainable for my noob self.

Then I joined a small-team wormhole corp and made the big bucks, but spent hours on the edge of paranoia spamming the d-scan. I left before I got ptsd.

So I decided my small ship (frigate / destroyer / cruiser) skills were decent enough and my finances (now in the billions of spare isk) bulked up enough to hop into faction war. I actually had the most fun here with the spontaneous small-fleet, small-gang and solo pvp, matched to pretty decent ways of making isk while flying around in combat ships. Learned the ins and outs of transversal, tackling, mid-warp safe spots, and jump gate shenanigans. Also participated in a handful of capital ship engagements since the big corps would have contacts in FW, and basically use us as 'tackle' if one of their rivals was doing something in low sec.

Anyhow, burnt out in the end as well. Even after finding the activity most suitable to my temperament, EVE was still hours of tedium for every minute of sheer fun / terror. Conceptually, the game is brilliant, but in practice it's a second job in search of those flickering moments where everything - briefly - comes together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

A short and easy explanation of the current Star Citizen experience.