Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

How do you guys feel about the guilty verdict announced today with regards to Derek Chauvin's murder charges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wizard Master posted:

How do you guys feel about the guilty verdict announced today with regards to Derek Chauvin's murder charges?

The what I hadn't heard about this?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wizard Master posted:

good. i also like that outside of pelosi and the vikings owner and couple twitter dipshits, most of the victory resposnes have been, this is good but we need to do more and pass actual poo poo and etc.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Youth Decay posted:

If we merge West Virginia and Virginia would Super Virginia be a blue or red state

Virginia and West Virginia combined voted for Obama, Romney, Trump, and Biden.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wizard Master posted:

It's very good, but now I'm hoping they don't find some way to low-ball the actual sentence.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

good. i also like that outside of pelosi and the vikings owner and couple twitter dipshits, most of the victory resposnes have been, this is good but we need to do more and pass actual poo poo and etc.

What'd Zygi and/or Mark Wilf say? I just saw the response on the Vikings twitter and that seems like a standard response for what I'd expect from a sports thing:
https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1384624836132147201

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Chauvin is almost 50. If he even gets half of the maximum sentence, then that is effectively life.

Honestly, starting from scratch at 70 might be worse than doing the last 5-10 years or so in jail for a lot of people. Not even sure what the thousands of seniors coming out of long sentences are supposed to do to stay off the street in that situation.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 21, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

the_steve posted:

It's very good, but now I'm hoping they don't find some way to low-ball the actual sentence.

they're going to low ball the sentence sooo much it will go negative. But that means they have to hold him til scientists to invent timetravel so they can shoot him into the future ( or the past??) so his negative sentence is fulfilled.

also time travel is impossible so the time canon will just vaporize him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kalit posted:

What'd Zygi and/or Mark Wilf say? I just saw the response on the Vikings twitter and that seems like a standard response for what I'd expect from a sports thing:
https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1384624836132147201

the owner heard floyds brother say "i can breath" and tried to make it a thing as a good thing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the owner heard floyds brother say "i can breath" and tried to make it a thing as a good thing.

Do you have a source for this? I saw this with the Raiders owner, but not with the Vikings owners. I'm just confused because I haven't heard about it and can't find anything about it when I search for it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Raiders, not Vikings.

Raiders is the sack of poo poo with the world's worst haircut. Vikings are literally organized crime. Easy to confuse.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I think we've reached multiple Kamphs at this point.

...Kamphen? I don't know German.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kalit posted:

Do you have a source for this? I saw this with the Raiders owner, but not with the Vikings owners. I'm just confused because I haven't heard about it and can't find anything about it when I search for it.

i meant the raiders. sorry. i am dumb and don't know sports. :(

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
So, going back to DC statehood - what happens with the 23rd amendment if DC becomes a state? 23rd Amendment grants the District of Columbia 3 electoral votes and the Constitution created the District of Columbia, which is the seat of the federal government. Presumably if DC statehood happens there will still be a District of Columbia that exists in some form as the official capital that is separate from the new state. Does the President and his family then get to decide 3 electoral votes? I would think you would need a new amendment to repeal the 23rd.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pobrecito posted:

So, going back to DC statehood - what happens with the 23rd amendment if DC becomes a state? 23rd Amendment grants the District of Columbia 3 electoral votes and the Constitution created the District of Columbia, which is the seat of the federal government. Presumably if DC statehood happens there will still be a District of Columbia that exists in some form as the official capital that is separate from the new state. Does the President and his family then get to decide 3 electoral votes? I would think you would need a new amendment to repeal the 23rd.

Yep. The hope is that if it passes, then there will be enough support to repeal the 23rd.

quote:

“Under H.R. 51,” the memo reads, “the few residents who live in the reduced District—including the President and their family—would have outsized influence in presidential elections.” Such an outcome “may be bad policy,” it goes on, “but not unconstitutional.” And while it just takes a Congressional vote and a Presidential signature to create a state, getting rid of those three electoral votes would require changing the Constitution. That’s a much tougher task, especially if one political party is in the mood to make trouble.

A number of scholars presented with the problem have essentially been left scratching their heads. “It’s a puzzle,” acknowledged Mary Cheh, Councilwoman for DC’s Ward 3, and a professor of constitutional law at George Washington Law School. “It’s something we have to address.”

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Can they just rezone the District of Columbia so nobody legally lives there and thus its 3 electoral votes are moot?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Sanguinia posted:

Kämpfe, because German is weird.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sanguinia posted:

Can they just rezone the District of Columbia so nobody legally lives there and thus its 3 electoral votes are moot?

The federal district would have to include the White House and the President and their family legally live at the White House.

The states would want to repeal the 23rd if D.C. became a state, so it probably isn't a huge issue. The main problem is getting D.C. to become a state in the first place.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pobrecito posted:

One option I've heard, which should work is, you pass a law that establishes "The District of Columbia" someplace inside DC that doesn't have any residents, and then say the electors that the new "District of Columbia" has shall vote for whoever wins the State of DC or the popular vote, or a majority without them in the electoral college, or whatever. The Amendment says Congress has the right to set the rules for appointing the DC electors.

The statehood bill does, though, have a provision for an expedited vote for an amendment to repeal the 23rd amendment.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Zwein Kampf

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What I'm curious about, not that I think it should really be a factor either way because the core issues are much more important, is what the economic effects of DC or PR becoming a state would be WRT flags and suchlike. I mean think of how many goddamn flags there are flying at civic institutions in this country, plus all the stupid flag decals we have on poo poo like subway trains (presumably in case you forget what country you are in) and stuff. Also all the privately own and displayed flags at homes and businesses, or businesses that make reference to 'fifty state [whatever]' in their names or talk about the number of states in pre-recorded or written stuff.

Also speaking of the flag; who in government decides the new one? Like say DC gets its statehood: is it congress, Biden, or a constitutional congress or what that decides upon the new flag?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i meant the raiders. sorry. i am dumb and don't know sports. :(

No worries, thanks for the clarification! I just needed to know if I needed to add to the list of reasons to hate the Wilfs.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The federal district would have to include the White House and the President and their family legally live at the White House.

The states would want to repeal the 23rd if D.C. became a state, so it probably isn't a huge issue. The main problem is getting D.C. to become a state in the first place.

They legally live in the White House, but it's generally not their primary residence, and no President up to this point has not lived in another state for legal purposes. Biden may sleep in the White House, but he's a citizen of Delaware, and votes in Delaware. Trump was a citizen of New York and then became a citizen of Florida. Obama, Illinois, and so on. None of them ever went to a DC polling place and voted there.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Wouldn't it be easy to just write a law declaring the White House some type of historical monument that nobody, not even the President, can claim as their legal residence and thus they can never vote in DC? And then do that with every building in DC?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What I'm curious about, not that I think it should really be a factor either way because the core issues are much more important, is what the economic effects of DC or PR becoming a state would be WRT flags and suchlike. I mean think of how many goddamn flags there are flying at civic institutions in this country, plus all the stupid flag decals we have on poo poo like subway trains (presumably in case you forget what country you are in) and stuff. Also all the privately own and displayed flags at homes and businesses, or businesses that make reference to 'fifty state [whatever]' in their names or talk about the number of states in pre-recorded or written stuff.

Also speaking of the flag; who in government decides the new one? Like say DC gets its statehood: is it congress, Biden, or a constitutional congress or what that decides upon the new flag?

There's a standing law in the US Code regarding the basic specifications of the flag that was last changed well before there were 50 states. As long as he follows the rules there, Biden can pick a design for the new flag.

Eisenhower didn't need to go through Congress in 1960 - although if Congress felt like it they could alter the code when they vote DC in so Biden doesn't do anything wild like move rows of stars a tenth of an inch to the right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The overall design of the flag (13 red and white stripes, blue rectangle with a white star for each state) is set by law; the president selects the layout of the stars by issuing an executive order

Also part of the law: Flag updates take effect on the subsequent Independence Day :911:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Flagchat should go to this thread.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Wizard Master posted:

One thing that sticks out is usually in these trials the verdict ends up being something along the lines of manslaughter because the defense attorney is able to convince the jury that you can't really understand what went on in the officer's mind in the heat of the moment. Police become almost some sort of force of nature when they do something obviously wrong.

Where this feels different is that the jurors went with charges that the police officer committed a crime that requires a malicious state of mind. Chauvin didn't make a mistake, it was all intentional and he knew what he was doing. When juries are willing to look at evidence and make adverse inferences against the officer's intentions instead of "we can't possibly know" that's a massive change. That's when deleting body or dash camera footage becomes evidence of knowledge of guilt instead of just a giant coincidence, again. It's just one step, but it should be a big one in the end.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

A Kampfwagen

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Sedisp posted:

A Kampfwagen

"n.p. 1) someone who says Hitler did nothing wrong. 2) a light armored vehicle"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nonsense posted:

There better be charges for the pig.

https://twitter.com/rmayemsinger/status/1384655522859679745?s=20

They didn't even tell her to drop the knife, they just opened fire on her instantly.

Can't help but think this was revenge for the floyd sentence.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can't help but think this was revenge for the floyd sentence.

They must have precogs working at the PD there

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yep. The hope is that if it passes, then there will be enough support to repeal the 23rd.

this isn’t a puzzle, congress controls the allocation of those votes and it passed a previous law allocating them to the winner of the DC vote

pass a new law to give them to the winner of the overall popular vote

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mobby_6kl posted:

They must have precogs working at the PD there

Well whoops I thought it happened after the sentence

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

pass a new law to give them to the winner of the overall popular vote

"...three citizens chosen at random..."

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
EDIT: Taking flagchat to the proper thread.

Wizard Master posted:

Two of my DSA organizing meetings were canceled so that we could "process" the news. I found it ridiculous that those committees, which are almost entirely affluent white people, should need or deserve an entire day to emotionally digest this good news.

I think if you're a white person living in a city other than Minneapolis, who never met George Floyd or Derek Chauvin in your life, and the reveal of this verdict was so emotionally punishing that you needed to refrain from organizing just to process it, then you're emotionally immature in a way that inhibits your political activity. I don't know if people are actually that emotionally immature, or just overstating their need to "process" the verdict in order to appear sensitive to the plight of the oppressed. But sensitivity isn't a virtue when it keeps you from addressing serious problems.

I'm sure George Floyd's family needs some time to process the verdict and all the memories/emotions it's dredged up for them. But my DSA chapter isn't George Floyd's family, and we shouldn't pretend we are. It's emotionally unhealthy and practically obstructive.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 21, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Civilized Fishbot posted:

We should be working on our state and city flags, which are generally terrible.

What do you mean?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
News coming out that Trump appointed DHS IG and known résumé fraudster has blocked investigations into the Lafayette Square assault and general secret service superspreadery.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1384843698836492291

quote:

The chief federal watchdog for the Secret Service blocked investigations proposed by career staff last year to scrutinize the agency’s handling of the George Floyd protests in Lafayette Square and the spread of the coronavirus in its ranks, according to documents and people with knowledge of his decisions.

Both matters involved decisions by then-President Donald Trump that may have affected actions by the agency.

Joseph Cuffari, the Department of Homeland Security’s inspector general, rejected his staff’s recommendation to investigate what role the Secret Service played in the forcible clearing of protesters from Lafayette Square on June 1, according to internal documents and two people familiar with his decision, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the discussions.

After the sudden charge by police on the largely peaceful protesters, the Secret Service was able to move Trump to a church at the edge of the park, where the White House staged a photo opportunity for the president.

Cuffari also sought to limit — and then the office ultimately shelved — a probe into whether the Secret Service flouted federal protocols put in place to detect and reduce the spread of the coronavirus within its workforce, according to the records.

Hundreds of Secret Service officers were either infected with the coronavirus or had to quarantine after potential exposure last year as Trump continued to travel and hold campaign events during the pandemic.

quote:

Erica Paulson, a spokeswoman for the inspector general, said in a statement that Cuffari prioritizes investigations based on a limited budget and greenlights those that target the highest risks and are likely to have the greatest impact.

“Our office does not have the resources to approve every oversight proposal,” she said. “We have less than 400 auditors and inspectors to cover the entire Department of Homeland Security, an agency with almost half a million employees and contractors. Like all IGs, we have to make tough strategic decisions about how to best use our resources for greatest impact across the Department.”

Paulson continued: “In both of these cases, we determined that resources would have a higher impact elsewhere.”

Staffers inside the inspector general’s office privately complained that Cuffari — a Trump nominee confirmed in 2019 who previously worked for two GOP governors in Arizona, Jan Brewer and Doug Ducey — at times appeared skittish about investigations that could potentially criticize the president’s policies or actions, according to the people with knowledge of discussions.

quote:

The revelation that he declined to approve the two proposed Secret Service investigations could fuel criticism that Cuffari provided weak oversight of the second-largest federal agency at a time when Trump frequently used the Department of Homeland Security to implement some of his most polarizing policies. The House Committee on Homeland Security, whose chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) has raised alarm about what he considers Cuffari’s failure to conduct thorough investigations, has scheduled an oversight hearing Wednesday on the inspector general’s oversight.

“Cuffari pulled his punches on exactly the type of sensitive reviews his office was created to perform,” said Nick Schwellenbach, senior investigator at the Project On Government Oversight. “It doesn’t look like he’s an independent watchdog.”

Last summer, staff investigators in the inspector general’s office believed they had strong arguments for taking a close look at the Secret Service’s handling of both the Lafayette Square clearing and the agency’s coronavirus protocols.

Both issues had spurred intense criticism — the first for violating Americans’ right to protest and the second for potentially endangering workers’ lives and public health.

According to internal documents, Cuffari’s investigators submitted a draft plan on June 10 to investigate whether the Secret Service violated its use-of-force policies in the June 1 clearing of Lafayette Square, an abrupt move by law enforcement about 30 minutes before Trump marched through the park for a photo op. The staff noted that hundreds of protesters had been shot at with rubber bullets and sprayed with chemical irritants; 60 people had been injured.

quote:

But at a June 18 meeting to discuss possible new investigations, Cuffari said the office would not probe the Secret Service’s handling of the protests or clearing of the square, according to the two people familiar with the discussion. Instead, the inspector general suggested that Secret Service Director Jim Murray could look into the episode, they said.

Staff investigators were taken aback. Given that the Secret Service is the primary agency responsible for ensuring the president’s security for any movement he makes in public, the Secret Service’s agents and supervisors would have been directly involved in planning his walk across Lafayette Square.

The COVID piece is just the finest, purestrain denialism:

quote:

At the time, routine internal reports on the numbers of new positive coronavirus cases among DHS employees showed the number of infections among Secret Service employees had risen quickly. On Aug. 10, a special review team submitted a proposal to investigate what steps the Secret Service was taking to prevent the spread of the coronavirus among its workers.

In an Aug. 13 meeting to consider proposed investigations, Cuffari questioned the level of risk involved that the office would be scrutinizing, according to the people familiar with the discussion.

Investigators told Cuffari that if Secret Service agents and officers were spreading the coronavirus, more of them could get sick and possibly die. It would also increase the risk of exposure for the people the Secret Service protected, including the president.

Cuffari told the team they should narrow the probe, and suggested only examining how the spread of the coronavirus affected the Secret Service’s investigative work rather than its protection assignments.

But coronavirus infections in the Secret Service were falling the hardest on agents and officers working protective roles, who were required to travel around the country to secure public rallies for Trump’s campaign.

Many Secret Service agents who worked near the president opted not to wear masks in the early days of the virus’s arrival in the United States. Some members of the president’s detail urged other agents not to wear masks when they helped secure sites for presidential trips, saying the president didn’t like to see them.

In the end, the investigation was shelved, according to records and the people familiar with the decision.

Of course, with this lying piece of poo poo we've already seen that his investigations, even when they do get off the ground are lacking in.... everything.

quote:

In March of last year, Thompson, the chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, said he was deeply troubled by many failures and factual flaws in an investigation by Cuffari’s office of the death of an 8-year-old boy in U.S. custody after Customs and Border Patrol agents detained him and his father at the border.

Thompson said the report inaccurately stated the cause of the child’s death, left out key details about the detention facility’s delay in treating the child and failed to examine whether the policies at the facility were followed or sufficient to prevent such a tragedy.

Thompson said “the many critical shortcomings in the work of the OIG raise significant concerns about the thoroughness of the office’s reviews as well as the willingness of the office to conduct in-depth examinations of sensitive topics.”

The Post reported last year that the number of investigations conducted under Cuffari’s watch had plummeted, noting that lawmakers from both parties were concerned. At the time, Cuffari’s office was on pace to conduct 40 investigations and audits by the end of the fiscal year that ended in September 2020, the fewest in nearly two decades. That would have represented one-fourth the productivity of the office in the final year of Barack Obama’s presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

What do you mean?

City flags are generally garbage, but there are some rad state flags. Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, SC flags are great design. Mississippi's is nice. Maryland's looks like the hypnagogic hallucinations of a drunk soccer hooligan.