Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The giant basement rooms are weird. There are rooms with twenty enemies in them when you can't do any damage and those rooms just don't show up later on. My least favorite is the one with all the stationary heads which is just a boredom test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah Eve was one I was scared of but after messing with it I started enjoying it. Same with Blue Baby who seems to be one of the most unpopular ones.

My first few floors had me very unsure about her, but once the items started rolling in, it was pretty obvious how good she could be.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah Eve was one I was scared of but after messing with it I started enjoying it. Same with Blue Baby who seems to be one of the most unpopular ones.

I'm not sure why Tainted ??? seems so unpopular. He's pretty much a straight up better version of ??? and his gimmick is a fun change of pace.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tainted lIlith sure is something...

I just had an absurd run with Ludovico, magnet tears, poison tears, spore shot and gnawed leaf.
I entered every room, took my hands off the keyboard and won a second later.

Spore shot is my favorite new item. That kind of cascade effect is very satisfying.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I had Perfection, Ghost Pepper and Parasitoid on The Lost, resulting in every tear being on fire or an egg (possibly both?). Insane run, blew up every stage of The Beast before they got to do any attacks.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Did the hidden challenge. Got a brimstone effect and a "spawn mom's razor on hit". That combo really lags the game

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I beat the hidden challenge when I picked up a two-bar item that made me momentarily invincible and covered the room in holy light beams. I stopped picking up any items at all after that and just focused on finding hearts, cards, and good pills.

Hidden Challenge tips:

1. Never save and quit. Very rarely could I load without it crashing

2. If you get an even remotely decent build, stop touching all new items. I had an awesome build get wrecked because I touched an item that made it so all drops turned into golden troll bombs and I had no way to heal, plus another item that spawned an enemy on top of me any time I cleared a room.

3. Pills, runes, and cards are your friends because at least you know what they do

4. Focus on getting a little bit of offense and then just playing safe and focusing on heath, clearing as few rooms as possible

Or just ignore all that and restart until you get an absolutely bonkers broken Basement item

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For the Planetarium, what constitutes "skipping" a treasure room?
Do you have to unlock it and then not take the item or can I ignore it all together?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Inzombiac posted:

Do you have to unlock it and then not take the item or can I ignore it all together?

skipping it is not even entering it, apparently

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Inzombiac posted:

Ignore altogether. If you have the blue hourglass you can use it to check what's inside and back out if it's worth skipping.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, you gotta just walk past the room. Which, I mean, Planetariums are nice but it hasn't really convinced me to change my playstyle much outside occasionally prioritizing shops over item rooms when I'm low on keys a little more. Some of the items you can find in there are game changers, but I"d struggle to say any of them are worth walking past 2-4 item rooms to have a crack at them outside Venus and maybe Pluto if you're going for specifically Hush or Mother.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I feel like its worth going for the planetariums when youre doing the home path but not when youre doing the alt path.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i mean just skipping one item room gives you a 20% chance per floor which is still a decent chance. also if you go for the true end you can pick up the items on the way back anyway so it’s pretty worth to go for a planetarium in that case if you’re confident that you can beat mom with a few less items

e: beaten lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
planetariums are just nice as an upside to skipping item rooms, whether you're just trying to go fast for a run or you're low on pickups

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TheJadedOne posted:

Did the hidden challenge. Got a brimstone effect and a "spawn mom's razor on hit". That combo really lags the game
Or you could do this

https://clips.twitch.tv/CloudyOriginalLegDxAbomb-e4QsmIl5S-rNdyLL

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What is the stupid item that puts a red horizontal line over my head and makes me bleed everywhere and take damage? I rolled into it over and over again with TEden.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

shard of glass

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Coming back to this game after literal years and am ramming my face into the wall struggling to even get to Mom, holy poo poo I am out of practice, and I forgot how badly things can go in this game.

Also who thought the April Fool's challenge was a good idea this is actual hell.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

That challenge reminds me that I'm glad more bosses have been added to the game so I get to fight The Bloat less

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I thought to myself "wow, with all these new bosses I bet the bloat looks pretty tame by comparison"

But no he still hits me hard.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I did april's fool my first try the other day because I got an infinite use active item from a shop (the converter). Pretty fun lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

No Wave posted:

What is the stupid item that puts a red horizontal line over my head and makes me bleed everywhere and take damage? I rolled into it over and over again with TEden.

shard of glass -- it's supposed to turn off when you heal with a red heart and cause you to drop red hearts occasionally when you take damage, and it's not supposed to deal damage that's lethal

last time i picked it up and attempted to run with it, guess what i found out wasn't true (it's the last bit, if you have half a heart of health and you're in an area where you take full hearts of damage, it'll kill you)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah not a fan of that rework, it's gone from not great to run ruining.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Coming back to this game after literal years and am ramming my face into the wall struggling to even get to Mom, holy poo poo I am out of practice, and I forgot how badly things can go in this game.

Also who thought the April Fool's challenge was a good idea this is actual hell.

April's Fool can be made pretty easy if you complete XXXXXXXXXL first to unlock golden hearts. All you need is for a single pickup to come up as a gold heart, which will then explode into coins, most of which will actually be some kind of heart, including more gold hearts. You eventually reach an immortal state of recursive gold hearts. It's not any more fun, but it at least makes the challenge a cakewalk.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
???'s in a really weird place now, since Keeper actually being good, and Bethany B having the exact same gimmick as it, just better, means it has no real niche to speak of other than "Isaac but worse".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think the worst thing I can say for stuff like alt blue baby and Cain is just that they require a bunch of messing around and puzzling out entire floors. On the one hand, I looooooove doing that kind of poo poo. On the other hand, sometimes you don't want to spend an hour thirty on one single run.

I have to admit, having now seen more of Repentance in action, I think I'm very definitely going to buy it...but only probably once mods are back on the table. If just for the Always Boss Rush/Hush/Void ones since I hate dealing with those.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

If you exit the run and then continue, it should reset your holy mantle (unless that got patched) so you won't die when exiting the curse room.

FYI this did indeed get patched.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Maybe it's just me, but every time I try a Blue Baby run, the game decides that he'll get nothing worthwhile before the Depths... No interesting synergies, barely any extra health, and no stat increases. Three straight item rooms with active items is distressingly common.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

???'s in a really weird place now, since Keeper actually being good, and Bethany B having the exact same gimmick as it, just better, means it has no real niche to speak of other than "Isaac but worse".

I mean, that was his original gimmick. That's what blue baby was built to be. Rebirth was where it got really weird because never having red health turned into a massive advantage the moment you weren't eating 3+ hearts of damage every floor so the only reason ??? wasn't a raw upgrade to Issac was the D6. Now with Soul/Black Hearts and shop restocks rarer and some of the things that used to look at just Red Hearts now looking at all hearts, he's much more of a sidegrade, trading reliable Devil/Angel deals for a greater chance of run failure through attrition and having a far weaker active item.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

sidegrade??? That's a real optimistic way of looking at it.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

sidegrade??? That's a real optimistic way of looking at it.

With a lot of infinite recharge stuff way harder to pull off I think the D6 is much weaker then it used to be (the D6 is really tame without ways to roll until you get a winner) and all not having red hearts is still more an advantage then a disadvantage the moment you get any kind of soul heart sustain, even mediocre ones like Mitre.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you have soul heart sustain it doesn't matter what kind of hearts you start with, and you get to use devil bums and transfusion machines (devil bums are extremely good) and can turn Sun card into a straight up win condition. If your BB really wins as much as your Isaac, fine, i stand corrected.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 21, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BB was the original challenge character.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i mean ??? was always meant to be a challenge character like the lost and keeper. the D6 was flash isaac’s equivalent to godhead in that sense. obviously ??? is not nearly as much of a challenge as the others but then again even the loss was strong enough to get nerfed in repentance in some ways

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

As a greed mode hater I finally filled my greed machine. I didn't realize how fast you could fill it, you can do 60 to 80 coins per run if you stick to the really strong characters (judas, isaac, tainted isaac, tainted maggie, bethany, tainted bethany, samson, lillith, tainted lillith, tainted eve, azazel, tainted azazel). Having twice as many characters around lets you avoid jamming chance almost entirely.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
??? wasn't even the worst character in the original game. Eve was the worst pre-WotL (well, ok, she wasn't added for a month, but it's close enough to launch), and post-WotL it was a toss-up between her and Samson.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The greed machine when Afterbirth launched was the absolute worst, your jam percentage climbed so fast you were lucky to get 10 coins in. I had 545 coins in mine when I grabbed Repentance and between Greedier and new characters I'm over 900 after four runs.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
all this talk about blue baby and its who ive been spending today playing as, and man, those first 5 runs sucked balls.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Tainted Forgotten with Conquest is a hilariously boss melting spacebar item now.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I was in a really bad situation after accidentally picking up dead cat in Gehenna thanks to curse of the blind, going from 10 red hearts to 1. But shortly after that, here's a phrase I never thought I'd type: I found Shoop Da Whoop and it carried the run to a trivial Delirium kill.

(Turns out that with Bethany every single wisp Shoop Da Whoop spawns fires an extra full-power laser when you activate it, and you can have up to 12 wisps, and it only has a two-room charge. So it auto-clears half the rooms while giving you massive firepower upgrades for the other half, and melts bosses near-instantly with a minimal expenditure of charge.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Going for Greedier with Tainted Samson before. A hard fought run but I noticed him turning red but never activating his berserker and thought "huh, guess it's broken on greed mode or something and doesn't activate. Figures!" After victory I noticed nothing unlocked. I played...as the wrong samson. I had to do it all again :D. Samson was another one that was tons of fun on Greedier though!