Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
It's also kind of meta that the film's director is planting racist and misogynist ideas to the main character's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Due to injuries sustained in an accident during the production of The Farmer (1977), George Memmoli had to decline the bit part of Travis' disturbed passenger, who was ultimately played by Martin Scorsese."

He put himself in the movie because they were short a guy.
Hmm sure, an "accident." I'm on to Scorsese's game here

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mind the walrus posted:

I was doing an educational watch of this with some people because it turns out a distressing number of young men think that Joker (2019) was spontaneously formed out of whole cloth, and it occurred to me-- why the gently caress doesn't Scorsese get the same heat for this scene that Tarantino (rightfully) does for doing the exact same "I get to say the n-word!" poo poo in Pulp Fiction?

Scorsese also wasn't the script writer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also, like, on a basic level scorsese briefly playing a lovely dude for a film and (presumably, unless you're one of the REAL WEIRD marvel attack squad people) not actually believing/wanting to do the poo poo the character said is different than a white director/scriptwriter coming up with a white dude who says a bunch of slurs unnecessarily and then playing that character

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

jesus loving christ

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

El Fideo posted:

Having that for Babylon 5 was a godsend. Someone do one for Farscape, please!

https://liztellsfrank.com/2012/04/03/farscape-the-complete-skip-itwatch-it-guide/

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Even for a movie set in reconstruction with confederates I think the hateful eight went real hard on the n-word. And the sexual assault.... hooboy.

Which granted I only watched the extended cut, but it definitely took me out of the movie.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ambitious Spider posted:

Even for a movie set in reconstruction with confederates I think the hateful eight went real hard on the n-word.

Quentin Tarantino is an edgelord who thinks dialogue peppered with racial slurs shows off how gritty his movies are.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Apr 21, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlĂƒÂ¤ser

mind the walrus posted:

That would be really loving nice.

Luckily Hollywood has already made ‘Demolition Man’, so a template exists for cryogenically freezing Derek Chauvin in case future crime-free societies need someone experienced in killing minorities.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Torquemada posted:

Luckily Hollywood has already made ‘Demolition Man’, so a template exists for cryogenically freezing Derek Chauvin in case future crime-free societies need someone experienced in killing minorities.
you're implicitly giving derek chauvin way, way, way too much credit for being individually bad in some unique way that makes him special. he's just a completely standard cop who did poo poo thousands of cops do all the time, he just got filmed. his murderous racism is not special or unique. he is not special or unique. his crimes are not special or unique. this is standard and he should not be treated like an exception, that lets the entire rest of the system off.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

this is standard and he should not be treated like an exception, that lets the entire rest of the system off.

Someone posted that this makes 8 convictions out of 16,000 police killings since 2005. So yeah, not an exception.

I find that statistic handy (I should do some digging to see the source, though) when backing up the idea that this conviction is just a start.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Due to injuries sustained in an accident during the production of The Farmer (1977), George Memmoli had to decline the bit part of Travis' disturbed passenger, who was ultimately played by Martin Scorsese."

He put himself in the movie because they were short a guy.
Oh I guess it was just bad luck that there weren't any other actors in New York because they were all I the film already. All of them.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Yes, exactly. It's just so easy to find someone to replace an actor at the drop of a hat.

Production schedule? Nah, that couldn't matter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When I watch Taxi Driver I’m always thinking about how it portrays its characters as cool and good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Oh I guess it was just bad luck that there weren't any other actors in New York because they were all I the film already. All of them.

I love the immediate shift of the argument just to stay mad and keep arguing lol

Henchman of Santa posted:

When I watch Taxi Driver I’m always thinking about how it portrays its characters as cool and good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Me while watching Taxi Driver: I'm gonna become the Taxi Driver.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The problem with Scorsese movies (and most movies in general) is that he doesn’t make FUN movies. I watch movies to escape life. I don’t need to watch gangsters killing each other. I’m here to have some fun.

TLDR: I’m not here for a long time I’m here for a fun time

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlĂƒÂ¤ser

Srice posted:

That’s not exactly Bertrand Russell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ReidRansom posted:

Nah Scorcese is way overrated, has made far more bad films than good, and is a bitter old rear end in a top hat jealous that people have moved on from his brand of poo poo. You should mean offense.

Sorry he didn't like your superhero movies.

muscles like this! posted:

Scorcese has made good movies but he can be pretty inconsistent. Like the gimmick of The Irishman was a huge waste of time and money because it was just completely not believable and didn't actually add anything to the story.

It is really funny they spent all that time and effort on the de-aging and Scorsese doesn't use a body double or closer shot for the scene where he beats the grocer (also the terrible CGI glass).

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Apr 21, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

oldpainless posted:

The problem with Scorsese movies (and most movies in general) is that he doesn’t make FUN movies. I watch movies to escape life. I don’t need to watch gangsters killing each other. I’m here to have some fun.

TLDR: I’m not here for a long time I’m here for a fun time

Good news he has also made a bunch of movies that aren't about gangsters killing each other.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

El Fideo posted:

Having that for Babylon 5 was a godsend. Someone do one for Farscape, please!

Watch the pilot (hah) episode back-half of season one, season 2 premier, skip episodes 2 and 3 of season 2, and then never look back because its gold from there out.

Mooseontheloose has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Apr 21, 2021

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I tried Farscape a few years ago and dropped it after a few episodes. I've been thinking about trying it again and a guide like this does seem helpful.

I'm not quite sure about the priorities of the writer though.

quote:

we see Aeryn almost naked

The only thing notable is Aeryn in a sports bra.

Aeryn is keyed up and pony-tailed

And Aeryn’s leg gets humped

Aeryn does obscene things with her tongue

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

jjack229 posted:

I tried Farscape a few years ago and dropped it after a few episodes. I've been thinking about trying it again and a guide like this does seem helpful.

Keep in mind that the 1st season they weren't sure what to do with the show until late, so there is a lot of Star Trek-ian planet to planet visits in the start. That's why I say skip until the middle of the 1st season where they get their grove.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i think we should remember that taxi driver was a low budget film, with several of the stars taking sizable paycuts for the project, that also operated under a very tight schedule by hollywood standards, since new york was in the middle of an odorous wombo-combo heatwave & garbage strike, coupled with the fact that most of it was shot on location, resulting in rather costly, very demanding shoots logistically and technically, and, under those circumstances, it's very plausible that actors dropping out would need affordable replacements like, that same day to keep pace

underneath that, columbia pictures was already very concerned with how the film's content might stir up negative controversy and it got to the point where further production difficulties might've axed the movie entirely, those concerns started early and would continue to plague the production where scorsese, rather infamously, very begrudgingly gave into various studio demands re: certain scenes just to get it done and not be fully x-rated

hard counter has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Apr 21, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

jjack229 posted:

I started back up on it late last year, and the first part of the first season (or the season itself?) definitely takes a while before it truly becomes Farscape. This was the first time I'd watched it as an adult. I'd watched it as a kid with my dad, that was one of his favorite series. I thought maybe it just wasn't my thing as an adult but nope, just needed to let it get into the groove. I think once Scorpius starts getting more prominence the show loses its "wacky aliens and a human having one off adventures in space" kind of feeling and more into, well, I guess still that but with a guiding background story as motivation.

Those are certainly some priorities though

Edit: Yeah what moose said basically

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hard counter posted:

i think we should remember that taxi driver was a low budget film, with several of the stars taking sizable paycuts for the project, that also operated under a very tight schedule by hollywood standards, since new york was in the middle of an odorous wombo-combo heatwave & garbage strike, coupled with the fact that most of it was shot on location, resulting in rather costly, very demanding shoots logistically and technically, and, under those circumstances, it's very plausible that actors dropping out would need affordable replacements like, that same day to keep pace

underneath that, columbia pictures was already very concerned with how the film's content might stir up negative controversy and it got to the point where further production difficulties might've axed the movie entirely, those concerns started early and would continue to plague the production where scorsese, rather infamously, very begrudgingly gave into various studio demands re: certain scenes just to get it done and not be fully x-rated

No you fool the only possible explanation is that Marty is a secret racist

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Bialar Crais is the original Zuko.

Scorpius: second Zuko.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hard counter posted:

Goalposts shifting in 3… 2… 1…

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m waiting for John Hinkley Jr. to weigh in on this discussion.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

hawowanlawow posted:

I love the immediate shift of the argument just to stay mad and keep arguing lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

No you fool the only possible explanation is that Marty is a secret racist

The funny thing is Scorsese actually toned down the racism since all the gangsters in the original script were black and he rewrote some of them to be Italian instead because he was worried about how it would look.

Srice posted:

Obviously you shouldn't aspire to be Travis Bickle but the audience was definitely intended to be able to identify with him somewhat.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm typecast as the white guy who says the n word.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

rodbeard posted:

Obviously you shouldn't aspire to be Travis Bickle but the audience was definitely intended to be able to identify with him somewhat.

When I was in bad place a decade ago I watched Taxi Driver about once week. I didn't aspire to become Travis Bickle, but the film's masculine alienation and frustration spoke directly to me. It is easy to miss that Bickle is just a fool and killing a couple neighborhood gangsters doesn't actually solve anything. Nevertheless I doubt that there isn't single man in the western world who wouldn't regognize what Bickle is going through.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The movie would be boring if it was someone who nobody could identify with. It's like Falling Down - you're supposed to recognize that the society we live in creates monsters through its alienation and the negative effects of the patriarchy on men. While also knowing that the main character is a bad person who is doing bad things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s not really true there are plenty of movies where you aren’t suppose to be sympathetic to characters, it just depends on the movies.

Some times black and white is fine for a film just like popcorn flicks are fine. Despite the internet’s desperate need to appear like they are above that

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the coen brothers are good at making movies with no clear good guy or bad guy or lesson, just a bunch of poo poo that happened

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

hawowanlawow posted:

the coen brothers are good at making movies with no clear good guy or bad guy or lesson, just a bunch of poo poo that happened

“This is a true story. The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 1987. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.”

Supposedly they put that fake disclaimer at the start of Fargo because the script was too outlandish to be believed as a movie plot, but seemed like a stupid enough clusterfuck to have actually occurred in real life.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

jjack229 posted:

quote:

“I Shrink Therefore I Am”: Skip it. We get more cheese, and tiny people, and Sikozu being kind of fab, and obsessed with Scorpy.

I think the writer just hates fun.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemada posted:

That’s not exactly Bertrand Russell.

Does a taxi driver who drives only men who don't drive themselves drive himself?

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Zuko is just dorky teenage Vegeta.