Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why wouldn't it if 10 Republicans agree to vote for it?

That is not going to happen so it isn't even worth asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalit posted:

Just ban beef and soy importation from Brazil, problem solved!

It's actually a pretty good deal and we should pay it! It would represent 2% of our annual foreign aid budget.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

If Republicans had any interest in actually doing that they would have done it at any time during the last four years and cemented their trifecta instead of doing jack poo poo about poo poo and losing it all to a guy who hid in his basement for most of the campaign. I don't see it happening.

E: they couldn't even give people free money to vote for them in the Georgia senate runoffs. Nancy Pelosi handed them a bill on a silver platter to buy votes with $1400 checks and they said "nah if the money isn't going to trillionaires we aren't interested", they do not want to build infrastructure

E2: every single one of them voted against the covid relief bill. they also talked up how they would put together their own covid relief bill without all the Democrat party pork, and...nothing. Because they didn't want to do a covid relief bill and they're so ideologically committed to never doing anything that they couldn't even agree on a fake counterproposal to pretend to support.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 21, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Add in the Tooth Fairy, Sasquatch, and an honest lawyer while you're at it, eh?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Youth Decay posted:

That is not going to happen so it isn't even worth asking.

Why? None of us are US senators and it doesn't waist Congress's time to consider the question. I think if Republicans come up with a real offer and pledge to support whatever they agree to I don't see why they wouldn't. It's never happened before (they voted against bills they largely didn't agree with in total, is completely different just because they voted for an amendment to it).

The reality of course is they'll likely offer something below 1 trillion$ which is a non-starter but if its over 1 trillion, like 1.2 trillion and no poison pills I think that's a starter.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

because 10 republicans will not actually vote for the bill. see: their record the last two decades.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

It's actually a pretty good deal and we should pay it! It would represent 2% of our annual foreign aid budget.

Totally agreed, but this kinda feels like one of those movies where the ransom gets paid and the hostage still gets killed.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Would you say it would result in "peace for our time" :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Owlspiracy posted:

because 10 republicans will not actually vote for the bill. see: their record the last two decades.

There actually isn't such a record though? When did they suggest a spending bill where enough Senators to pass it pledged their support ahead of time only to vote no and vote down the bill in the end? Olympia Snowe voted for the PPACA I believe.

Republicans have broadly never supposed Democratic bills but that's not whats being specifically claimed here.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kalit posted:

Just ban beef and soy importation from Brazil, problem solved!

Might work if China did the same.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why? None of us are US senators and it doesn't waist Congress's time to consider the question. I think if Republicans come up with a real offer and pledge to support whatever they agree to I don't see why they wouldn't. It's never happened before (they voted against bills they largely didn't agree with in total, is completely different just because they voted for an amendment to it).

The reality of course is they'll likely offer something below 1 trillion$ which is a non-starter but if its over 1 trillion, like 1.2 trillion and no poison pills I think that's a starter.

because for the last two decades the republicans have repeatedly used the frame of 'bipartisan negotiation' to shift a bill to their priorities and then vote against the bill. you are wrong to say that this hasn't happened before - it happened during the ACA negotiation and it has happened in almost every negotiation since then, even if a bill could pass without their support. it even happened most recently when Trump called for a second round of checks: the democrats introduced a clean check bill and it wasn't even brought to the floor.

the change here is that unlike previous democratic presidents, biden is not falling for their attempt to negotiate, which is significant. instead he has reframed bipartisan to 'has support of democratic and republican voters' not 'support from democratic and republican politicians'.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

There actually isn't such a record though? When did they suggest a spending bill where enough Senators to pass it pledged their support ahead of time only to vote no and vote down the bill in the end? Olympia Snowe voted for the PPACA I believe.

Republicans have broadly never supposed Democratic bills but that's not whats being specifically claimed here.

- the ACA
- any discussion about immigration
- when Trump tried to send a 2k check

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/politics/donald-trump-sean-hannity-2020-election/index.html

cnn did the highlights of trumps soft ball talk with hannity. lots of BIG LIE poo poo and whining about johnson and johnson getting poo poo on, also how cool putin is and how he will sweep 2022/2024.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Owlspiracy posted:

- the ACA
- any discussion about immigration
- when Trump tried to send a 2k check

That is not an accurate representation of what happened and does not actually support your point. There's a difference between dragging out negotiations only to vote no and supporting the end result and then voting no. I don't think we're discussing the same thing here.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

That is not an accurate representation of what happened and does not actually support your point. There's a difference between dragging out negotiations only to vote no and supporting the end result and then voting no. I don't think we're discussing the same thing here.

ok so when the republicans "negotiated" over the ACA and then repeatedly moved the goal posts once Obama conceded to their demands that was different because...

or are you saying that because the Republicans won't support any Democratic legislation, we should just accede to their legislative wishes? and that their proposal is different because its not a "Democratic bill" (and therefore not tainted?). that also recently happened, when Republicans came out and agreed with Trump that there needed to be another check, and then when Democrats tried to bring the clean check House bill to the floor it didn't even get a vote.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even if we allow for the sake of argument that Republicans that pledged to vote for the bill would actually do so, any bill capable of attracting 10 Republican pledges is probably one that at least 10 Dems should drop off on general principle

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Eight_(immigration)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
isnt the deblassio hate just from fragile white types?

non whites have constantly polled better though his whole term

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

I mean DeBlasio constantly caving to the NYPD is pretty lovely (regardless of the fact they're blackmailing him/his family)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
oh speaking of the NYPD, its spring and therefore almost summer, get ready for op ed peice about how this summer is going to have another wave of ssj god crime lords.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why wouldn't Charlie be able to kick the football if Lucy simply held it in place?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

PhazonLink posted:

No DeBlasio actually sucks

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

PhazonLink posted:

From my perspective, I thought the whole "accepting a bribe is not a crime" thing was a very bleak spot in his term. And my opinion didn't get any better from there. But I'm not from NY, so that might just be business as usual for mayors there :shrug:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Raenir Salazar posted:

The central claim here is about a track record of negotiating in bad faith, not of the mode of expression of that bad faith.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

They've been very clear that the oppose it regardless of anything and the best tactic I've ever seen deployed against them is getting them so mad about some irrelevant and made up thing that they forget they need to oppose the big important thing. The second you treat them like real people trying to do real things is the second before the croc pulls you under and death rolls

All the problematic Tintin books are all already out of print but maybe they could have the rights owners make a big show of how you can't get these books anymore, a formal condemnation of "Where the Sidewalk Ends" because of its anti-infrastructure implications

VitalSigns posted:

I'm betting they never reveal anything because they can't agree on anything, same reason they kept putting off Infrastructure Week for 4 years

Oh it'll have 10 million different poison pills and riders rambling about Dr Seuss and stuff, I don't know why they feel compelled to pretend they have any policy or anything they believe in at this point, the modern conservative is a pulsing, oozing primal core that seeks only to destroy and exact a terrible vengeance upon the world for its own deep set feelings of being wronged at every step

it should be entertaining, when they realize some anti-protesting bill means the pleasant afternoon fundies outside of planned parenthood can be run over with impunity or someone like Rubio has his pet issues attacked by some lunatic from Montana

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why would the Republican party do this, exactly? Wouldn't that turn of events seem unbelievably out of character to you?

I don't mean to sound condescending, but this is an honest question: are you American?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

generic one posted:

Totally agreed, but this kinda feels like one of those movies where the ransom gets paid and the hostage still gets killed.

Yeah it's this, unless part of that billion dollar payment gives us airspace and enforcement rights over it or lets us equip and train the tribes who actually occupy that land as anti-logging machine (and state-sponsored death squad) guerillas

It's also not just gonna be there because the clear cutting of rainforest is happening everywhere there is rainforest, and giving a psychotic murderous dictator like Bolsonaro a billion bucks isn't going to address the people who are not him, personally, who depend on logging for their income

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big-time "The Bart, The" scenario going on in pretrial detention hearings involving a white supremacist who invaded the capitol

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1384963948856979457

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but he was arrested for participating in a white supremacist insurrection.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

nope his bear-hug of the nypd alienated them too (while not making the nypd like him one bit more)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Big-time "The Bart, The" scenario going on in pretrial detention hearings involving a white supremacist who invaded the capitol

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but he was arrested for participating in a white supremacist insurrection.

Tons of artists do free cover-ups for wp stuff

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zoux posted:

Just because you disassociated from a White Supremacist gang doesn't mean you're no longer a white supremacist.

Wasn't there a guy who used to post in this forum a long time ago who was super upset that White Supremacists took over Norse symbols? I think he was especially upset because he had a huge rear end Norse tattoo on his arm that he might have had to get removed. I think it went back and forth for a while and it was like "Yea, it sucks but better to get the tat removed or something than having to explain to x,y,z for the millionth time how you're not a racist".

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Another unarmed Black man got murdered by the police, this time in Elizabeth City, NC: https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/man-shot-by-deputy-on-roanoke-avenue-in-elizabeth-city/

quote:

A man was fatally shot Wednesday morning by a Pasquotank County deputy in Elizabeth City, North Carolina.

There are few details at this time, but the Pasquotank County Sheriff’s Office says the shooting happened around 8:30 a.m. while deputies served a search warrant in the 400 block of Perry Street, off Roanoke Avenue.

The man, whose family members identified as 40-year-old Andrew Brown Jr., got into his car and started to drive away, witnesses say. That’s when shots were fired by the deputy. Neighbors say they heard anywhere from 6 to 8 shots.

His family says Brown did not carry a gun and didn’t hurt anyone. He was the father of 10 children.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Kalit posted:

Another unarmed Black man got murdered by the police, this time in Elizabeth City, NC: https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/man-shot-by-deputy-on-roanoke-avenue-in-elizabeth-city/

God drat-it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Olympia Snowe voted for the PPACA I believe.

You could do like... 5 minutes of research to check out your beliefs before posting them. Just sayin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordable_Care_Act

quote:

On December 23, the Senate voted 60–39 to end debate on the bill: a cloture vote to end the filibuster. The bill then passed, also 60–39, on December 24, 2009, with all Democrats and two independents voting for it, and all Republicans against (except Jim Bunning, who did not vote).

And just in case you were talking about the subsequent reconciliation bill amending PPACA to satisfy House Democrats after Senate Democrats lost their supermajority
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Care_and_Education_Reconciliation_Act_of_2010

quote:

On March 25, the bill passed the Senate by a 56–43 vote, with all Republicans and three Democrats (Blanche Lincoln (D-AR), Ben Nelson (D-NE) and Mark Pryor (D-AR)) voting against it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

Just because you disassociated from a White Supremacist gang doesn't mean you're no longer a white supremacist.

Wasn't there a guy who used to post in this forum a long time ago who was super upset that White Supremacists took over Norse symbols? I think he was especially upset because he had a huge rear end Norse tattoo on his arm that he might have had to get removed. I think it went back and forth for a while and it was like "Yea, it sucks but better to get the tat removed or something than having to explain to x,y,z for the millionth time how you're not a racist".

I know a dude irl like that. And it does suck, Norse symbols and Norse mythology are pretty cool and its a shame that white supremacists appropriated them.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

You could do like... 5 minutes of research to check out your beliefs before posting them. Just sayin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordable_Care_Act

And just in case you were talking about the subsequent reconciliation bill amending PPACA to satisfy House Democrats after Senate Democrats lost their supermajority
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Care_and_Education_Reconciliation_Act_of_2010

man i forgot how bad those three dems sucked

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
De Blasio knows how to talk a good game sometimes but he’s an absolutely feckless dipshit who wasted his entire time as mayor

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Weren't Norse symbols appropriated already by... the original Nazis?

:confused:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

goethe.cx posted:

man i forgot how bad those three dems sucked

they know how to win in ruby red states ok, if you try to replace Blanche Lincoln with Bernie Sanders you're only giving that seat away to a Republican mister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

they know how to win in ruby red states ok, if you try to replace Blanche Lincoln with Bernie Sanders you're only giving that seat away to a Republican mister

I hope you're not implying that Bernie Sanders would win in Arkansas either lol