Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

DLC Inc posted:

Monster Hunter boardgame brings with it the same questions as when I saw Darkest Dungeon/Dark Souls/Devil May Cry(!?) get boardgames: what can a boardgame version of these things do that the videogame can't? Darkest Dungeon was especially egregious with this because it was basically "the videogame, but worse?" and DMC as a board game seems like a complete antithesis to the high-octane action it's meant to evoke.

A MonHun boardgame with other players would likely just make me wish I was playing it online with my 3 friends. From the look/sound of it, it's still encased in the limitations of the IP, unlike other big monster games like Primal: The Awakening or Oathsworn that can do different stuff (presuming they are in fact similar monster hunt games.) I have no idea what the point is to games like this; they always get funded immediately and seem to only attract people who are huge fans of the IP and don't give a poo poo on spending for boutique board games. The miniatures seem cool but in a game like MonHun wherein the colors of some variants are important, I probably wouldn't even be able to do my own color schemes without making it confusing.

Honestly I can see a simple worker placement game working pretty well for MonHun. You got your zones with specific kinds of resources, upgrades for the workers via weapons and equipment, RNG via monsters wandering around, pick four or five zones from a list of ten each time to build the board, easily expandable by adding new monsters or new zones, etc.

But focusing on the actual fighting of the monster in a little combat grid thing seems like a big waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
My advice to anyone considering the official Monster Hunter game is a) check out Primal the Awakening before you make any final decisions 'cause that sucker is MonHun-without-the-license and mechanically seems way more interesting, at least to me and late pledges will be available in future and not substantially more than the cost of MH: World. and b) do some research on how Steamforged games turned out in the past. E.g., Dark Souls.

Is it possible it'll be worth it to some folks? Sure. But have all the info first.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dark Souls was bad, but I absolutely made bank selling my pledge stuff when it finally arrived.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I've always heard the best part of Dark Souls was the boss fights, and MHW is basically that with some CYOA bits between fights (or just fights in the arena). I have no idea how the combat/stamina system will feel to play, it looks like a simplified version of the combo combat DMC had, which people seemed to like, so hopefully it's not terrible. I know this isn't the highest praise, but to me, MHW seems like they're basically trying to mesh two of the systems people liked(?), and dressing it in the Monster Hunter IP. Hopefully, with them only having to produce like 20 miniatures, they won't have colossal gently caress-ups in production but... SFG kickstarters are basically a dice roll. They could be delayed a few months, or you could end up getting your pledge split up into waves, delivering over years.

edit: I will say, I'm disappointed there's no Rathian revealed yet. Maybe they're saving it for a surprise unlock, but having both Rathian & Rathalos in your MH product seems like the bare minimum. But you wouldn't be able to fight both at the same time anyway, so...

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 21, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

My advice to anyone considering the official Monster Hunter game is a) check out Primal the Awakening before you make any final decisions 'cause that sucker is MonHun-without-the-license and mechanically seems way more interesting, at least to me and late pledges will be available in future and not substantially more than the cost of MH: World. and b) do some research on how Steamforged games turned out in the past. E.g., Dark Souls.

Is it possible it'll be worth it to some folks? Sure. But have all the info first.
I had gone back and forth over wanting to back Primal, but ultimately dropped. It seemed way too fiddly with a ton of damage modifiers from all your different equipment and the monster's stats, plus I didn't like how the board was just 4 spots while the monster swivels to face you.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm assuming Steamforged games are going to be widely available post-KS, right?

Much as I love Monster Hunter I think I'll probably wait until it hits retail, maybe try it out at the local board game cafe or something.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Desfore posted:

I've always heard the best part of Dark Souls was the boss fights, and MHW is basically that with some CYOA bits between fights (or just fights in the arena).

I've heard that also, but...I've watched Dark Souls and MH: World gameplay and that doesn't seem to be a very high bar, from what I've seen. The boss fight approach seems more interesting but...still kinda basic and punishing. It's definitely at least not including the equivalent of repeatedly resetting the very basic Dark Souls minion fights, which were dull enough to put me to sleep and was necessary to get souls to randomly draw gear and upgrade to use any gear you actually wanted in Dark Souls. However, they haven't shown the crafting or campaign aspects of MH: World in either video I've looked at (maybe at the end of the Dicebreaker one? haven't finished that yet), so I can't say whether that might reflect similar levels of randomness and tedium. (It looks like you get crafting materials in two ways - stumbling across them in CYOA segments and randomly rolling on a table on the back of the monster after you kill it - but the details of how you use them and what else you might do between fights I haven't seen.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Not every video game makes a good board game. Just be honest that you are just buying it for the cool models, and any passable game play is a nice bonus.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Buying the Dark Souls board game on Kickstarter got me as many Mordheim knights/wizards/skeletons/zombies/random rundown fantasy dudes as I could ever use, some nice big demons/giants/treemen and so on and a board game that was largely unplayable.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

potatocubed posted:

I'm assuming Steamforged games are going to be widely available post-KS, right?

If a lot of shops put in for retailer pledges, sure. Otherwise, I would be surprised if many distributors have any patience for Steamforged right now.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I'm in for $1 on this CMON X-"MEN" game and am baffled at who the gently caress half these people are. I need to turn in my geek card.

I wonder if they are gonna have a big plastic sentinel like they had that Thanos gauntlet though...

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
A thing that bothers me with the MHW boardgame is why attach a specific title name to it? It already feels outdated because Rise is out. Just call it Monster Hunter The Boardgame!

Stan Taylor fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 21, 2021

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

A thing that bothers me with the MHW boardgame is why attach a specific title name to it? It already feels outdated because Rise is out. Just call it Monster Hunter The Boardgame!

Presumably it's either specifically based on World, or Capcom mandated the title. Or both!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

malkav11 posted:

Presumably it's either specifically based on World, or Capcom mandated the title. Or both!

It looks like it's specifically based on World - it features the first two zones from that game and the main monsters you fight in each, plus the three elder dragons that were in the game at launch.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Stan Taylor posted:

It's based specifically around MHW: it has the area's from that game, artwork from that game, and monsters that originated & returned for MHW. This deal's probably been in the work for a while, when MHW or Iceborne was the newest game. I think a general Monster Hunter game would provide a lot more opportunity for content, but MHW was the big hit worldwide (and probably Capcom management).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

djfooboo posted:

I'm in for $1 on this CMON X-"MEN" game and am baffled at who the gently caress half these people are. I need to turn in my geek card.

I wonder if they are gonna have a big plastic sentinel like they had that Thanos gauntlet though...

Welp, they dropped some expansions and there's all the rest of the popular Xmen. gently caress yes, this is going to be great. Although they have Archangel as the enemy for Xmen gold, so I suppose that rules out an Infinity Gauntlet-style Age of Apocalypse box.... unless they make it tie in somehow? :shrug:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that xmen game is gonna have like 15 expansions by the end of the month

also how the gently caress have they still not put Nightcrawler in it???

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That'll be the Excalibur expansion.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

DLC Inc posted:

that xmen game is gonna have like 15 expansions by the end of the month

also how the gently caress have they still not put Nightcrawler in it???

It’s actually drat smart. They are spreading the popular ones around the expansions to get people to buy them all. Brilliant.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah, the question isn't "how the gently caress have they still not put Nightcrawler in it???" it's "how the gently caress much extra money are you going to pay for Nightcrawler?"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is every CMON Kickstarter ever.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Holding out for a Generation X set

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I was expecting the following:

Excalibur
Starjammers/Shi'ar
X-Force or New Mutants
Maaaaaaybe Age of Apocalypse

As possibilities, but the first and second ones seem less likely given Captain Britain and Deathbird have been added as stretch goals. X Force and New Mutants have been mostly covered by stretch goals. I have to believe that Cable and Deadpool are still somewhere in the mix. Nightcrawler seems like an obvious oversight suggesting a expansion release as people have pointed out. There's no way they'll pass up the chance to do a Sentinel, either.

EverettLO fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 22, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Namor is going in, which makes me think they'll toss in a Fantastic Four box at some point here.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

theironjef posted:

Namor is going in, which makes me think they'll toss in a Fantastic Four box at some point here.

I thought about that, but it seems more likely to me that they're leaning into the occasionally used background that Namor sometimes considers himself a mutant rather than going wildly off theme for the FF.

I kind of assumed they might fit into a third KS with more expanded Marvel U stuff.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Plenty o room for expansion.

No Kate, Nightcrawler. Excalibur pack?
Deadpool, Domino, Cable, Laura (Gabby?) Shatterstar. X-force pack?
Mirage, Magma, Cannonball, New mutants pack?

Lots of third stringers, Glob Anole Rockslide Armor...

And that's just heroes!

I'm a blithering idiot and mark for X-men so :homebrew:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Quicksilver in at all?

Though tbh I am not a fan of the art style at all, just looks bleh and uninspired imo

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Him and switch are in the :10bux::10bux::10bux: first class pack, which is kind of a dick move since I don't really care about young o5.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

He was also in as a playable character in the first set.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

Plenty o room for expansion.

No Kate, Nightcrawler. Excalibur pack?
Deadpool, Domino, Cable, Laura (Gabby?) Shatterstar. X-force pack?
Mirage, Magma, Cannonball, New mutants pack?

Lots of third stringers, Glob Anole Rockslide Armor...

And that's just heroes!

I'm a blithering idiot and mark for X-men so :homebrew:

somehow Feral made the initial cut but none of the other Rob Liefeld characters people actually like lmao (ie Deadpool, Cable, Domino and Shatterstar)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Alaois posted:

somehow Feral made the initial cut but none of the other Rob Liefeld characters people actually like lmao (ie Deadpool, Cable, Domino and Shatterstar)

In the last round Drax was a single character stretch goal and there was a Guardians add-on box, same with Okoye and a Black Panther set, so there's pretty much guaranteed an X-Force coming down the line.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Alaois posted:

Wasn't Feral just Wolfbane's new name? (After she got stuck perma-wolfed)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Wasn't Feral just Wolfbane's new name? (After she got stuck perma-wolfed)

Feral's not even a wolf, she's like a cat monster or something. Her real name is Maria Callasantos. Wolfsbane is Rahne Sinclair.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

theironjef posted:

Feral's not even a wolf, she's like a cat monster or something. Her real name is Maria Callasantos. Wolfsbane is Rahne Sinclair.

I'm sure Rhane had the name Feral for a while after Genosha

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Alaois posted:

Don't worry, there will be more 30 dollar boxes with that level of character in them still to come.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Angrymog posted:

I'm sure Rhane had the name Feral for a while after Genosha

nope

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, Rahne and Feral are two different characters. Mildly amusingly one dog, the other cat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hard Wired Island released to backers and for general sale late last night/early this morning, you should have gotten a backerkit link if you backed it and you can also purchase it if you weren't a backer via itch or DTRPG.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's easy to get confused, the writers and artists of the early 90s certainly did when it came to the two.

I dont know for sure but I'd hazard a guess that Nicieza created Feral when he got handed New Mutants but found out Rahne was moving over to X-Factor.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I mentioned it in the Solo Roleplaying thread, but I think I forgot to post about it here. Starforged is launching its Kickstarter next Tuesday

https://twitter.com/ShawnTomkin/status/1385370335957065730?s=20