Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Morrell seems like an ageing Steve Irwin impression, almost, which I suppose isn't unfitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Kobal2 posted:

That should read RAC.

The game quite clearly states the correct name:

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 21, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

sean10mm posted:

A huge problem in the world at large is that being on the (self-defined) "right side" in politics/religion/whatever entitles you to be an unlimited loving rear end in a top hat to everyone around you. DE manages to avoid that trap quite deftly by showing how any ideology Harry adopts will be warped by Harry's broken mental state.

Conversely, it shows otherwise "better" people than Harry with political beliefs the writers think are terrible (except fascists I guess because gently caress 'em.)

Even measurehead is still working on behalf of the union, and has union colors on the background of his portrait:

The larger message seems to be that individual responsibility isn't particularly important. It doesn't matter that measurehead is a gigantic racist rear end in a top hat, he is stopping the mercs from breaking the strike. Even though he, personally, is an rear end in a top hat, assholes can still do good things as part of larger systems. A person's individual ideology is largely irrelevant to the impact they have on the world. Just look at Harry: He can be a fascist, liberal, communist, moralist, what have you. But no matter what he believes, by the end of the day he solves the case.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It doesn't matter that measurehead is a gigantic racist rear end in a top hat

Measurehead? You mean Jean-Luc, my race mentor? He's a man of virtü.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

no reason to be jealous of a Tier A race

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Even measurehead is still working on behalf of the union, and has union colors on the background of his portrait:

The larger message seems to be that individual responsibility isn't particularly important. It doesn't matter that measurehead is a gigantic racist rear end in a top hat, he is stopping the mercs from breaking the strike. Even though he, personally, is an rear end in a top hat, assholes can still do good things as part of larger systems. A person's individual ideology is largely irrelevant to the impact they have on the world. Just look at Harry: He can be a fascist, liberal, communist, moralist, what have you. But no matter what he believes, by the end of the day he solves the case.
I am only at the start of day 3 but my read on Measurehead was that he was something analogous to a black nationalist, while people like the lorry drivers were white nationalists/garden-variety shithead racists.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Measurehead is a black dude who was born in France but heard about Africa on the radio.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

I am only at the start of day 3 but my read on Measurehead was that he was something analogous to a black nationalist, while people like the lorry drivers were white nationalists/garden-variety shithead racists.

Did you receive his philosophy?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Lotta ham sandwiches ITT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Somfin posted:

Did you receive his philosophy?
I heard what he said, but I wandered off to pursue another avenue without adopting advanced race theory. Unfortunately it seems that you only have one opportunity. So it goes. However, he is correct that I do love disco music and venereal disease.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Measurehead gets all sad and melancholy about the second type c race in reference to his groupie gf, wonder what that's about. I'm guessing either they're barren as a couple or he believes in his self imposed racial theory so hard that he won't even touch her despite liking her

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nessus posted:

Black nationalism is very different from what Measurehead is pushing. Black nationalism isn't about the supremacy of one race over another, it's about liberation from the oppression of a White supremacist state. Measurehead is more of a Hotep.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Black nationalism is very different from what Measurehead is pushing. Black nationalism isn't about the supremacy of one race over another, it's about liberation from the oppression of a White supremacist state. Measurehead is more of a Hotep.
Ah yes, Hotep is more what I was looking for, and it definitely fits. I wonder if it was an accidental recreation of the concept since the devs are Estonian, aren't they? On the other hand, they can read the Internet too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Estonia is basically just Tallinn. Basically everybody speaks English as a second language there. All the Scandinavians like to take ferries over for vacations. Tallinn is cool as poo poo. Estonia is also super duper online. So yeah they know what a hotep is.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The devs are obviously as Extremely Online as anyone in this thread.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They had a bunch of lefty podcasters do voices and made the hero detective be named after Nick Mullen, they're online as hell lol

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol yeah. DE is one of those bits of media that people will look back on as a culture-bearer for the late 2010s (the terminally-online culture of the time, anyway)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
they're so online they had chapo go on them

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Perfect Potato posted:

Measurehead gets all sad and melancholy about the second type c race in reference to his groupie gf, wonder what that's about. I'm guessing either they're barren as a couple or he believes in his self imposed racial theory so hard that he won't even touch her despite liking her

of course someone with the username Perfect Potato would sympathize with the plight of a potato-woman

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is there any chance they might implement new game+ style features in this for the future? I don't usually replay RPGs of this variety, but I would be curious about doing a "I can do whatever the hell I want" style playthrough to explore avenues I didn't during my "canon" run

I know that you can do that sort of thing if you muck around with the game files but... :effort:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

There are some cut clothing items still sitting in the game files that can only be obtained through save editing, which is a shame as they're both pretty good and also end up completing outfits that are otherwise only partial, such as the RCM uniform and the white suit.

They clearly aren't accounted for by the game though, as I spent all of day 1 wearing a pair of shoes that had been cut and Kim commented on it as if I hadn't found my other shoe :haw:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Look game, I took off my pants because of the Savoir Faire penalty, I don’t care if Kim didn’t notice

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Perfect Potato posted:

I think he experiences cognitive dissonance - by his own theories he shouldn't be with her at all, but I guess he really loves her and rejecting her is too hard for him. Another possibility is that, since according to him the Master Race can't possibly produce offspring with a POTAAT, he thinks they'll never have a family together and that pains him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

if he truly is a Hotep, there is no dissonance there. Race mixing to a lot of them (there isn't a single agreed upon doctrine here or anything) is only truly bad when it's women doing it, as men doing it is "planting a seed" or something and is actually an act of rebellion

If he truly does seem conflicted about it, odds are it's because he genuinely believes both things and that bothers him and it bothering her bothers him

He has the same sort of dissonance about Evart but it clearly doesn't bother him as much, as when Harry brings up Evart being a fat slob ham sandwich man his only response is to stop being vulgar and that Evart is a good man

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also the Fascism vision quest tells us that Measurehead Does not believe in ejaculating inside women.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Whats in the box behind measurehead? I've never managed to knock him out.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Breetai posted:

Whats in the box behind measurehead? I've never managed to knock him out.

a good chunk of money

you also don't need to knock him out, he's gone after the tribunal

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

you can get it after the tribunal

I don't remember anything big there.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Discuss.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Bloody Pom posted:

They clearly aren't accounted for by the game though, as I spent all of day 1 wearing a pair of shoes that had been cut and Kim commented on it as if I hadn't found my other shoe :haw:

"I don't need anyone!"

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

More importantly: who would win in a fight: Man from Hjelmdall or Dick Mullen?

I feel the game never truly answers that question because they're saving it for the sequel.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Finally finished this game and yeah that's a great game. Now I need to spend some time sorting it in my head.

The highlight for me:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Noxville posted:

Finally finished this game and yeah that's a great game. Now I need to spend some time sorting it in my head.

The highlight for me:

is this from one of the vision quests? never saw that guy before

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Wafflecopper posted:

is this from one of the vision quests? never saw that guy before

Didn't know you could interact with him, but he's the DJ for the thrash metal radio Kim listens to when he drives (there's a... I think MOT ? check you can pass when first interacting with his radio to call your precinct)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It’s from the part where you’re looking for Ruby. You speak to the twins and they start and they start repeating stuff from Speedfreaks FM that Ruby’s machine has echoed into their heads, and at that point can call the radio station from Kim’s car, and you can them to give Kim a shoutout

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Sincere question: why is this the only thread where posting screenshots of possible conversations isn't considered posting spoilers? Especially since y'all are otherwise very careful to tag spoilers?

A whole lot of people are playing this for the first time because of the ps4 version and I for one would appreciate not constantly having potential conversations spoiled

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Spoilers generally have to be plot-related to be considered spoilers, don't they? I haven't seen anyone post spoilery conversations without a spoiler tag.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Spoilers generally have to be plot-related to be considered spoilers, don't they? I haven't seen anyone post spoilery conversations without a spoiler tag.

As well written as DE is, I'd say every convo is a delight and a surprise and given that the gameplay consists entirely of conversation with characters, I can understand wanting to experience it completely blind.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Proletarian Mango posted:

As well written as DE is, I'd say every convo is a delight and a surprise and given that the gameplay consists entirely of conversation with characters, I can understand wanting to experience it completely blind.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Would hate to accidentally see one of the funniest or most interesting ones without having "got there" myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't mind because I didn't see most of the screenshots people post in my own playthrough. There are a ton of interactions you just won't get in a single run no matter how thorough you are due to checks happening in the background. A huge amount of dialog you'll miss because you took conversations in a different direction.