Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've never actually seen the infamous TNG episode of that show for whatever reason.

It is magical. It has been years and years and years and decades since I saw it, but I'm reasonably sure there's a part that's specifically directed towards any aliens that might intercept the signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The only thing I remember from the TNG episode of Reading Rainbow is when Worf shows up and says "I take big steps!" I had fun with that as a bebe.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Why would anyone want to host Jeopardy full time?

I guess you can film a whole year of shows in 2 weeks or something for a nice paycheck.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you aren't all listening to LeVar Burton Reads, I don't know what's wrong with you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should hire a set of triplets to host jeopardy. One of them hosts the jeopardy round, and the other two host the double jeopardy round.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

jeeves posted:

Why would anyone want to host Jeopardy full time?

I guess you can film a whole year of shows in 2 weeks or something for a nice paycheck.

Aaron Rodgers said it only takes 60 working days to film the entire year, which is why he'd be able to do both that and football at the same time.

Trebek was making $10 million a year for 60 days of work. Not bad at all.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The worst part of the job must be dealing with the black hole of charisma that is your average Jeopardy contestant.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They film 5 episodes a day

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

i'm a page behind but my take on voyager vs. enterprise is the same as my take on star wars prequels versus sequels

both are technically mostly bad, with one maybe having more individual quality parts, but one is soulless and isn't really trying to say anything (voyager, sequels) while the other at least has some political poo poo you can read into (enterprise, prequels). i think enterprise has a lot of interesting stuff about setting up the federation's liberal foreign policy, the changing of the vulcans (how everyone changes when t'pol is out with the humans), that sorta stuff. sure, i think there are more individual good episodes of voyager, but if you put good ingredients on a bland sandwich i'll still forget it, vs. something obviously stupid but memorable like fried corndogs on buns made out of fried cheese or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

infamous TNG episode

I do not think that word means what you think it means

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

McSpanky posted:

I do not think that word means what you think it means

It means more than famous.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My guess is that Ken Jennings ends up as the permanent host but we'll see

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Goblin Craft posted:

It means more than famous.

Not just famous, he's in-famous.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sash! posted:

Not just famous, he's in-famous.

What a country

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

but I've never actually seen the infamous TNG episode of that show for whatever reason.

Season Six, Episode Zero-One, a Reading Rainbow show which will live in infamy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Never Forget: 8/15/88, the premiere of Reading Rainbow's TNG episode.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
e:WRONG THREAD

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 23, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The new jeopardy host should have a rotating sidekick who is basically just there to make bad jokes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

If you aren't all listening to LeVar Burton Reads, I don't know what's wrong with you.

This is correct.

Also based on recent discussion in the thread I watched Terra Prime for the first time and holy poo poo that's some good Star Trek. See what people mean now when they say they view it as the actual Enterprise finale.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Senor Tron posted:

This is correct.

Also based on recent discussion in the thread I watched Terra Prime for the first time and holy poo poo that's some good Star Trek. See what people mean now when they say they view it as the actual Enterprise finale.

Manny Coto wrote it as "his" Enterprise series finale. He knew Berman and Braga were going to rear their heads and pull some bullshit.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

The new jeopardy host should have a rotating sidekick who is basically just there to make bad jokes.

Levar retweeted this:

https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/1379623462436708355?s=20

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Admiral Robocop does neat Star Trek cameos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Peter Weller really needs to be in more Star Trek everything.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

He's apparently got a full time job as an art professor these days iirc

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That you can attend a lecture about Caravaggio by Robocop is deliciously surreal

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

StashAugustine posted:

He's apparently got a full time job as an art professor these days iirc

This is one of those things that's kind of mutated into a taller and taller tale over the years because the Internet leads people to play the world's longest game of Telephone. Weller was an adjunct instructor at Syracuse for a few years while he was working towards his master's degree in Renaissance history. He later finished his Ph.D in Renaissance art history at another school--I think UCLA--but he isn't actively teaching anywhere and certainly not on a full-time basis. He does curate art shows from time to time, but he primarily spends his time directing TV shows nowadays, with occasional cameo appearances.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
To get a phd you have to teach classes, or at least lead sections. It's part of the squeeze of cheap labor the universities get out of people trying to get their high end degrees.

So I'm sure someone out there must have been taught by Robocop at some time, but I highly doubt any colleges will be offering him a tenure position.

And those colleges are loving stupid because who wouldn't want to hear him talk about art? gently caress!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Gonz posted:

I love his monologue at Kirk in STID.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Still hoping Weller will show up in SNW as Admiral Marcus. He might actually be a nice guy without the incursion of Nero.

And as far as Levar on Jeopardy goes, I just realized I don't think I've ever seen him in a suit. Bet he'll rock it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just hope none of the chucklehead contestants try to force an awkward Trek joke.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just hope none of the chucklehead contestants try to force an awkward Trek joke.

He'll just zap them with his lazer eyes

That's what he does right

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Sir Lemming posted:

He'll just zap them with his lazer eyes

That's what he does right

It's concussive force, not laser beams, drat it!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:gowron:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Would you draw out the neigh, the bour, or the hood though.

Or all 3.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

V-Men posted:

I love his monologue at Kirk in STID.

I don't like what they did to section 31 and how they changed it to the CIA

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Do you think the Klingons have kids TV

Like, was there Klingon Nickelodeon where they'd dump bowls of gagh on peoples' heads

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

Would you draw out the neigh, the bour, or the hood though.

Or all 3.

Long neigh, slightly long hood

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Kesper North posted:

Do you think the Klingons have kids TV

Like, was there Klingon Nickelodeon where they'd dump bowls of gagh on peoples' heads
For the Federation, there's Flotter from the Voyager episode "Once Upon a Time" and Toby the Targ. I'd be interested in seeing equivalents for Klingons and Romulans

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No joke I’d love to explore 24th century Earth/Federation pop culture in the show. At least Voyager let us know it’s not all jazz and classical enthusiasts sitting around absorbing holo-Shakespeare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

No joke I’d love to explore 24th century Earth/Federation pop culture in the show. At least Voyager let us know it’s not all jazz and classical enthusiasts sitting around absorbing holo-Shakespeare.

I actually rather liked 09/Into Darkness/Beyond’s peaks into civilian life and pop culture of the Federation and how it was still fairly recognizable to our own but just more technologically advanced. TNG was almost like looking in on a completely alien culture with how sterile and stoic human culture was presented as being in the future.

Meanwhile JJ Trek has Uhura strutting into a bar to a blaring funk song, hooking up with all her Starfleet besties, and then ordering like 20 shots of Jack Daniels from a holographic menu.