Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Leperflesh posted:

I think being cartoonishly evil, in a cartoonish setting, can be a lot of fun, for a little while.

Roleplaying as a legit hosed up person who does terrible things to people who don't deserve it in a more viscerally real-feeling game makes me feel sick just getting close to and I've never been into it, even when I was an edgy teen. I don't even like doing it as a GM much - to the extend that I don't personally identify with my villains and tend not to get into their heads. An evil badguy I'm running exists to be defeated, and evil badguy stuff they do is there to motivate and justify the PC's actions - it's not a role I play for my personal entertainment.

I guess actors do it in TV and film all the time, but they are following a script mostly, so they're not necessarily internalizing the decision-making or responsible for the outcomes of their characters' actions.

I do not intend this post to be judgmental of any of you who do enjoy any of the above. Do you guys feel there's a way to roleplay an evil character who does bad things, in a realism-feeling game, but still be a healthy leisure-time activity? How do you feel about it afterward?

This might be a sensitive subject for some, now I think about it. Let's avoid specifics that could disturb people and speak in generalities.

Yeah, one of the things I noticed with all the people I played World of Darkness games with is that with a couple exceptions we all took it in cartoonish directions because playing it straight was disturbing and not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In my experience, the ideal is an evil party that falls somewhere between the Adams Family and Always Sunny. Characters are reprehensible and self-serving, but keeping the tone light reinforces that it's a pretend game about imaginary characters without consequences.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Liquid Communism posted:

Mine were running slow, but got here over the weekend! What I get for living in the middle of nowhere.

I love this cover art.

Whew, nothing quite like seeing the final product safely in someone else's hands.

It absolutely does!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Whybird posted:

Evil antagonists tend, unless the story derails, to get their comeuppance. The story is set up to implicitly criticise the stuff they do.
Sometimes. I don't run RPGs according to the Hays Code, where good must always triumph over evil.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I think being cartoonishly evil, in a cartoonish setting, can be a lot of fun, for a little while.

Roleplaying as a legit hosed up person who does terrible things to people who don't deserve it in a more viscerally real-feeling game makes me feel sick just getting close to and I've never been into it, even when I was an edgy teen. I don't even like doing it as a GM much - to the extend that I don't personally identify with my villains and tend not to get into their heads. An evil badguy I'm running exists to be defeated, and evil badguy stuff they do is there to motivate and justify the PC's actions - it's not a role I play for my personal entertainment.

I guess actors do it in TV and film all the time, but they are following a script mostly, so they're not necessarily internalizing the decision-making or responsible for the outcomes of their characters' actions.

I do not intend this post to be judgmental of any of you who do enjoy any of the above. Do you guys feel there's a way to roleplay an evil character who does bad things, in a realism-feeling game, but still be a healthy leisure-time activity? How do you feel about it afterward?

I tend to steer clear of cartoonish evil. Mostly because I feel like comedy games tend to be short running, and I have a preference for long running games.

I prefer to avoid people with zero redeeming qualities, just because I find it unrealistic and I get the most enjoyment in RPGs from putting myself in the heads of other people that could actually exist. But sure, I play bad people fairly regularly and have no issue with it. I'll happily play characters with no qualms about murdering people to get what they want, or worse.

I don't think there's anything inherently unhealthy about playing a bad person. It's a game, people can do whatever hosed up poo poo they want and it doesn't bother me any. But I will say the only time I get uncomfortable with other people playing bad people is when I start getting the sense that they aren't self-aware about what they're doing.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

hey all, for playing online multiplayer social games (ie Survivor) i was thinking a really cool thing would be having chatroom channels for players, but with some important restrictions turned on. Namely, users can only be in one room/channel at a time, and they can't leave/join spam. This would simulate groups of people actually gathering in physical spaces better than just giving unlimited group chatting, ie like irl you can only be in one place at a time, and you would have to leave one group of people to go talk to another. People would know you left a group and must be somewhere else, and so on.

Is there any chat service that can function this way? everything I can think of for like Discord or IRC solutions seem like they would require server admin oversight inviting/approving joins but that seems unrealistic to manage in a timely manner if you want to leave it open for players for like days at a time. any ideas?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fast Luck posted:

hey all, for playing online multiplayer social games (ie Survivor) i was thinking a really cool thing would be having chatroom channels for players, but with some important restrictions turned on. Namely, users can only be in one room/channel at a time, and they can't leave/join spam. This would simulate groups of people actually gathering in physical spaces better than just giving unlimited group chatting, ie like irl you can only be in one place at a time, and you would have to leave one group of people to go talk to another. People would know you left a group and must be somewhere else, and so on.

Is there any chat service that can function this way? everything I can think of for like Discord or IRC solutions seem like they would require server admin oversight inviting/approving joins but that seems unrealistic to manage in a timely manner if you want to leave it open for players for like days at a time. any ideas?

It would depend on the number of players but I'm pretty confident that Discord bots can be set up to enable what you're thinking. I know at least for blaseball all the team rooms are locked and a bot automatically locks them when you use emote-reacts on specified posts. The main thing would I think be making it exclusionary e.g. "You can't join a new chat until you leave the old one!" which seems doable to me but I haven't looked at it specifically and wouldn't be the best person anyway.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Big news!

:frogsiren: Wicked Ones now has a Free edition! :frogsiren:

Now you all can try it!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/354307/Wicked-Ones-Free-Edition?src=discord

Also this game may not be suitable for those under 13 years old. I think this references the interrogation of adventurers rules. If I could ever get a group together, I would not use those rules, just fade to black about what's going on.

Expansions to Wicked Ones to come soon!

Has somebody made a google sheet setup like the one people use for BITD? If not I've got a sleepy unfocused afternoon/evening ahead of me and that would be the sort of low-impact task I'd spend it on.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Fast Luck posted:

Discord can definitely do this. Make a bunch of roles corresponding to the different rooms, restricted so they can only chat in those rooms. Then use a bot that automatically assigns people to one of those roles and removes the others when they click a reaction.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Awesome, I haven't done anything with bots before so I'll have to experiment a bit to learn how that stuff works, but good to know it's possible. Thanks for the answers.

Can you make it so the bot updates permissions every 30 minutes or something (thus making joining a room a commitment)? Can the users communicate to the bots by whispers so everyone won't know where they're going? Those are my last questions and then I'll try to dive in and figure it out myself if i decide to work on this later :)

edit: hmm could create a private channel for each user with a bot in it to read their commands, and put in a 30 minute cooldown/flood protection on those channels perhaps... that might just do it

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 21, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tulip posted:

Has somebody made a google sheet setup like the one people use for BITD? If not I've got a sleepy unfocused afternoon/evening ahead of me and that would be the sort of low-impact task I'd spend it on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ZBtRtzYuRp2-wEx7ynWkiiLwljkELi0d89ZC85hW9s/edit?usp=drivesdk

This is linked when you buy the game, but I just grabbed the link. I don't know how slick it is.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CitizenKeen posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ZBtRtzYuRp2-wEx7ynWkiiLwljkELi0d89ZC85hW9s/edit?usp=drivesdk

This is linked when you buy the game, but I just grabbed the link. I don't know how slick it is.

Slicker than what I would make! Thanks.

e: What you linked didn't have anything class specific so I spent a few minutes doing data entry, hope this helps people

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1URGliJISfVzk1gNdAEF9FrTtrzXbeKdf6ytrrx6GfDM/edit?usp=sharing

Tulip fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 21, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So a friend of mine is wondering about how to mechanically represent a disability in Dungeons and Dragons 5e without being offensive. Here's the setup:

quote:

halfling is a part of, or seeking to be a part of, a clan/order who are against the undead

while exploring the land of the giants, known to house undead magics, they save a goliath from an attack

unfortunately the halfling is wounded in battle, and an undead curse begins decomposing their leg

with their movement limited they create a harness to ride on the back of the goliath, who has sworn a blood debt to the halfling

Despite the silly premise they don't want it to be demeaning to anyone and are wondering what the best way to mechanically express it would be, and if their character should have a wheelchair at the ready as well, etc. Any input you have is welcome!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 22, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lurdiak posted:

So a friend of mine is wondering about how to mechanically represent a disability in Dungeons and Dragons 5e without being offensive. Here's the setup:

Despite the silly premise they don't want it to be demeaning to anyone and are wondering what the best way to mechanically express it would be, and if their character should have a wheelchair at the ready as well, etc. Any input you have is welcome!

My first thought here, ignoring the disability representation, is that it feels weird that the character has a body slave -- does the player functionally have two PCs, or is the goliath just there as a prop? I'd be inclined to give the halfling some kind of non-sapient mobility aid, personally. (Maybe they saved the life of a goliath artificer who set them up with a cool magic wheelchair/prosthesis and can serve as a contact for the party?)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I think the best way to handle something like that is always just going to be narrative stuff abd not mechanics. That also means as GM not putting them in positions where you say "erm no I've decided based on your fluff younauto fail or have worse rolls"

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

If you do absolutely need mechanics I know that a few people who wanted more direct representation for themselves in the game have created various wheelchairs you could take a look at. Beyond that I can't really comment, as I have no personal experience in this area.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Antivehicular posted:

My first thought here, ignoring the disability representation, is that it feels weird that the character has a body slave -- does the player functionally have two PCs, or is the goliath just there as a prop? I'd be inclined to give the halfling some kind of non-sapient mobility aid, personally. (Maybe they saved the life of a goliath artificer who set them up with a cool magic wheelchair/prosthesis and can serve as a contact for the party?)

The Goliath is played by someone else, sorry for not specifying.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Not a dig, just a point of curiosity, is the player new to RPGs?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think a lot of this depends on what the player wants to do. The Master Blaster set-up you describe presents the wrinkle that the halfling is implicitly committed to being in the same space, or at the least adjacent to, the goliath.

I would agree that roleplaying it is probably the best solution.

Coolness Averted posted:

I think the best way to handle something like that is always just going to be narrative stuff abd not mechanics. That also means as GM not putting them in positions where you say "erm no I've decided based on your fluff younauto fail or have worse rolls"
Yeah, if you wanted some kind of strict mechanical reflection, something like "Halfling's move rate gradually reduces" is pretty much what you've got to look at here. You could perhaps add some compensatory benefit like necrotic resistance or something, I suppose, since this is meant to represent a curse. This would be a potentially significant advantage if you are going against the undead at length.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Seems to me the simplest solution would be just chopping off the rotted leg and going with a pegleg

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

To start with, here are the rules for mounted combat. Treating the Goliath as an independent mount seems to be the least-effort method to represent them working as a unit. This kind of thing actually tends to mess with the rules quite a bit, ruling it like this would have the benefit of being established precedent in the game rules rather than something you make up. Having your mount be another PC is a bit dicey, but... give it a go and see if it works for you as a group or if it causes any unexpected issues.

It would fit with these rules to make the major effect of the halfling's disability "you can only spend half your speed". This way they could still move around independently, and they could still dis- and remount. Just not both at the same time. This is probably also not too debilitating, nor would I think it paints the character as less of a person.

It also strikes me that a thematically appropriate complication for a hunter of undead who has to deal with a literally dead limb is that it could fall under necromantic control. What any given necromancer could do controlling an enemy's leg, as opposed to an arm for which there is plenty of precedent in stories like Evil Dead and so on, is up to their own creativity (stopping their movement and kicking the goliath both come readily to mind).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Double post but it just occurred to me, if anything does paint the halfling as less of a person, it would be the player's (I assume) own idea of being dependent on another person for getting around.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Coolness Averted posted:

This is where I would lean towards too. For a video game example, Moving Out is a game about being furniture movers. It lets you make a character who is in a wheelchair, but it has no effect on the gameplay; it's just aesthetic. Of course, this game is not making a narrative statement about ability, it is just trying to be inclusive.

I think of it by example: A character has to run up to the third floor of a building to help with something, and there is some conceit that is making it a ticking-clock situation. Narratively, it could create tension if the person who had to do this was the less able-bodied character. (I think there was a scene in Gattaca like that with Jude Law? It's been a while since I saw it.) This would be in similar ways as if that player was under the effects of alcohol or poison and having trouble climbing stairs at the moment, or was deathly afraid of heights, or was simply irresponsible and gets distracted. The only difference is the potential sensitivity issue, which you each are doing what you can to be aware of.

The other practical thing to keep in mind is that this isn't a game like GURPS or V:tM where you're getting 'points' back for taking certain disadvantages, so repeatedly mechanically hindering them without benefit might get old. Will there be many combats? How will this character fight, if so? If you really want it to be mechanical, make sure this won't lead to excluding the player from the activities. I would lean towards it simply being non-mechanical until it is narratively engaging in a singular moment, rather than in perpetual minutiae.

Of course, I am not a member of the group being represented here, and I am going to assume that no one in your group is either, based on how you couched this. What I say matters so much less than what someone with lived experience might offer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Well we ended out Monster of the Week game last night. The players took out Lich McConnell and destabilized multiple world governments as a result.

Instead of stabbing him to death though they summoned the demon they fought 6 months ago and had him go apeshit in the phylactery storage

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Seems to me the simplest solution would be just chopping off the rotted leg and going with a pegleg

You could make it cooler by making the pegleg a sword or some kind of weapon too so the halfling guy's fightstyle now involves kicking people with it

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There pegleg should be an Immovable Rod that they’ve integrated into a cool martial art

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It seems to come down to:

Do you, as a player, want to create a hook for your character to experience adversity specifically because of their disability? Then you probably need some kind of mechanic that sets them apart from other characters, that will allow the DM to directly target it, and that may not properly represent the way your character's disability would work or impact them in the real world and may in fact be overly reductive. You may also find that you're representing disability as something that primarily creates disadvantages; it's your call whether that is more of an issue than D&D's baked in systems already creating disadvantages for characters who are extraordinarily weak, clumsy or stupid, or for that matter, for entire sentient species designated as adversaries.

What you get out of it includes opportunities for narrative tension that stem from a player choice, an element unique to your character, the feeling of making the gameworld your own and representing disability in your game.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 22, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Len posted:

Well we ended out Monster of the Week game last night. The players took out Lich McConnell and destabilized multiple world governments as a result.

Instead of stabbing him to death though they summoned the demon they fought 6 months ago and had him go apeshit in the phylactery storage

lmao nice

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

whydirt posted:

There pegleg should be an Immovable Rod that they’ve integrated into a cool martial art

Crossbow or miniature cannon (which would require some training to use)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

strong anti-undead precedent too

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Len posted:

Nice, glad things got a good wrap up. Do you think you're gonna pause it and recharge before trying another season later or go out on a high note? Since you mentioned feeling a bit burned out and hard pressed for ideas earlier.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Coolness Averted posted:

Nice, glad things got a good wrap up. Do you think you're gonna pause it and recharge before trying another season later or go out on a high note? Since you mentioned feeling a bit burned out and hard pressed for ideas earlier.

We're going to do at least a one shot of Wanderhome next and then I plan to try Fellowship with The Horizon framework. We all want to go back to this once we've recharged some. Currently I'm thinking a time skip and gift everyone some levels when we go back

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Did not see a thread for it but Hard Wired Island dropped today: https://ettin.itch.io/hard-wired-island

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kemper Boyd posted:

Did not see a thread for it but Hard Wired Island dropped today: https://ettin.itch.io/hard-wired-island

That looks cool but as soon as I saw this I laughed and had to post:

quote:

This 397-page PDF includes:

An easy-to-learn system

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Not a dig, just a point of curiosity, is the player new to RPGs?
Or a big fan of aSoIaF?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
are there any game deals Twitter accounts like wario64 but for traditional games

I love deals

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

John Romero posted:

are there any game deals Twitter accounts like wario64 but for traditional games

I love deals

You mean the TG Deals and Steals thread thread here? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534648

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tulip posted:

That looks cool but as soon as I saw this I laughed and had to post:

There's 40 pages of core rules, 40 pages of player options, 15 pages of GM advice, 65 pages of pregens and scenario seeds, and everything else in the book is setting information.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

I love it but it seems to not be updated too frequently, and me, a known shithead, would not check it as often as one that would just be on my timeline

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's 40 pages of core rules, 40 pages of player options, 15 pages of GM advice, 65 pages of pregens and scenario seeds, and everything else in the book is setting information.

Yeah sometimes a system can be simple yet the book is huge because they include a lot of stuff, the various Microlite compilations are often enormous not because the game is particularly complicated(indeed it comes about as close as possible to the most simple you can take the D&D chassis while still remaining recognizable as being D&D derived) but because it's so simple it's easy to make a ton of content and variant rules for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

John Romero posted:

I love it but it seems to not be updated too frequently, and me, a known shithead, would not check it as often as one that would just be on my timeline
People don't just read SA from their bookmarks :stare: