Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I do wonder how Biden would pull off cutting emissions in half within a single decade. My dad is skeptical it can be done...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol. Cry some more rear end in a top hat. I am ok with this. If it means departments start sacrificing gently caress ups and psychos and that scares the shitheads from joining or into quitting. Then good.

I can't find it now, but I saw a tweet the other day that was basically: "If you're a cop and considering quitting over the Derek Chauvin verdict, you absolutely should."

Cops should absolutely be afraid of going to jail for killing people, maybe it'll force them to think twice before they kill someone.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

zoux posted:

Note that this is based on 2005 emissions, which were the US peak year, we're down a bit since then so it's actually cutting emissions by more than half of current emissions.

The article isn’t really clear, but if the target is to end up at 50% of 2005 then that would be cutting less than half of our current emissions.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

quote:

The former officer spoke on the condition of anonymity, but his identity is known to Insider. He worked for the Minneapolis Police Department for nearly three decades before quitting days before Chauvin's trial began.

https://www.insider.com/derek-chauvin-ex-minneapolis-officer-calls-verdict-tragedy-fears-trend-2021-4

Hm, wouldn't that be enough for someone to discover his identity? That information is all public anyway, right?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
When one line really just shows the speaker's entire rear end

quote:

"They all believe that Derek didn't stand a chance at a fair trial," he said.

The cop's complaint isn't that they think the defense did a bad job, or the jury was tainted, or anything like that. Just that Chauvin got a fair trial.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Stickman posted:

The article isn’t really clear, but if the target is to end up at 50% of 2005 then that would be cutting less than half of our current emissions.

Isn't the 2005 number larger? We're just taking half of a larger number, so the end result isn't half of current emissions.

It's still a good thing, but a long way from neutral emissions.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Stickman posted:

Yeah by picking 2005 it's actually cutting emissions by the lowest amount possible - it's still a big goal though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

I can't find it now, but I saw a tweet the other day that was basically: "If you're a cop and considering quitting over the Derek Chauvin verdict, you absolutely should."

Cops should absolutely be afraid of going to jail for killing people, maybe it'll force them to think twice before they kill someone.

Absolutely. I was out with a client and I could hear some cops at a table near us going off after the guilty verdict.

"There was no murder, that wasn't murder. If you know ANYTHING about law enforcement, you'd know he was just following training and protocol."

Just saying the quiet part real loud. The protocol is designed to kill.

ACAB forever, period.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Good. Hopefully this sets a solid precedent and leads to a reform of cops actually obeying the law they're sworn to uphold.

:qq:: The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun breaking the law is with a good guy with a gun breaking the law.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Space Gopher posted:

The cop's complaint isn't that they think the defense did a bad job, or the jury was tainted, or anything like that. Just that Chauvin got a fair trial.

Yeah. They are mad that he got found guilty because they thought he would walk.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Isn't the 2005 number larger? We're just taking half of a larger number, so the end result isn't half of current emissions.

It's still a good thing, but a long way from neutral emissions.

It’s not really clear whether that mean that the target is 50% of 2005’s level or they plan to cut 50% of 2005’s level from current emissions. I suspect it’s the former because it’s a simpler formulation and probably the original -25% target was based on the same number.

Either way it’s a decent reduction that’s probably not ambitious enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stickman posted:

Oh right, I see, I was doing math dumb.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Self-abolishing police are the best kind

Space Gopher posted:

To be fair, I think he's trying to say "no chance of getting a fair trial". Of course to them the fair trial is the one that acquits him so it does still show a lot of rear end

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Kaal posted:

Hah, of course Jack is promoting this nonsense.

Every crypto proponent I've ever met looks, talks and behaves like a 2008 era mortgage broker. The whole thing just seems sleezy and dirty somehow. Yet unlike the 2008 subprime mortgage bubble, crypto never shows any signs of a total collapse. I know a guy who was a serial entrepreneur. Ran a shady print shop out of some industrial unit in a non-name neighborhood. He opened up businesses like exotic car rental services, some weird scheme with uber where he bought lovely used cars (before uber had standards for vehicles) and he paid you an hourly wage while the actual earnings from uber went into an account somewhere. It was always some kind of scheme or scam. Now he's making it rich and living out of a penthouse apartment because he found a way to modularize crypto mining by selling modified ocean freight cargo containers set up to take mining rigs and vent heat into atmosphere. Basically he found a way to make crypto mining scalable while using real estate efficiently. Goons often spend a lot of time making GBS threads on crypto but at this stage I'm wondering if its sour grapes because people are getting rich off this poo poo. There's people who paid their mortgages in full from their ether earnings.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A decade ago, the bankrupt owner of the Greenidge power plant in Dresden, New York, sold the uncompetitive coal-fired relic for scrap and surrendered its operating permits. For the next seven years, the plant sat idle on the western shore of Seneca Lake, a monument to the apparent dead end reached by the state's fossil fuel infrastructure. But today, Greenidge is back up and running as a Bitcoin mining operation. The facility hums with energy-hungry computers that confirm and record Bitcoin transactions, drawing power from the plant's 106-megawatt generator now fueled by natural gas.
https://www.nysfocus.com/2021/04/13/new-york-bitcoin-mining-threat/

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Speaking of police reactions to Chauvin's conviction:
https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1385216096668692481
Well, if it's a simple mistake of where this sentiment was posted, then that's perfectly all right!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Goons often spend a lot of time making GBS threads on crypto but at this stage I'm wondering if its sour grapes because people are getting rich off this poo poo. There's people who paid their mortgages in full from their ether earnings.

It seems to me that all crypto exists for is for get-rich-fast schemes like this, who actually uses it as a replacement currency as it was intended? It's a net-negative for humanity and shouldn't exist. For every person that paid off their mortgage with it you have people gambling on it and losing everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kraftwerk posted:

Every crypto proponent I've ever met looks, talks and behaves like a 2008 era mortgage broker. The whole thing just seems sleezy and dirty somehow. Yet unlike the 2008 subprime mortgage bubble, crypto never shows any signs of a total collapse. I know a guy who was a serial entrepreneur. Ran a shady print shop out of some industrial unit in a non-name neighborhood. He opened up businesses like exotic car rental services, some weird scheme with uber where he bought lovely used cars (before uber had standards for vehicles) and he paid you an hourly wage while the actual earnings from uber went into an account somewhere. It was always some kind of scheme or scam. Now he's making it rich and living out of a penthouse apartment because he found a way to modularize crypto mining by selling modified ocean freight cargo containers set up to take mining rigs and vent heat into atmosphere. Basically he found a way to make crypto mining scalable while using real estate efficiently. Goons often spend a lot of time making GBS threads on crypto but at this stage I'm wondering if its sour grapes because people are getting rich off this poo poo. There's people who paid their mortgages in full from their ether earnings.

Is the argument here that no one's ever made it big off of schemes or scams before bitcoin?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

People get rich off of the lottery, I still don't buy scratchoffs.

The high-minded, wise problem with bitcoin is the insane energy costs, the low-minded, emotional problem with bitcoin is that bitcoin people are all insufferable know it alls. And I get to have it both ways!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Thom12255 posted:

It seems to me that all crypto exists for is for get-rich-fast schemes like this, who actually uses it as a replacement currency as it was intended? It's a net-negative for humanity and shouldn't exist. For every person that paid off their mortgage with it you have people gambling on it and losing everything.

I agree with you on all counts. But gently caress do I feel like a patsy for not figuring it out and getting some money out of it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thom12255 posted:

As I understand it, crypto isn't even real money anyway; it's like the equivalent of Reddit karma. On paper, you have, say $100, but it's completely imaginary and wouldn't even hold up in court that you legitimately had that money.

Bitcoin enthusiasts would probably be quick to point out that paper money is the same way, and they have a point. But paper money is at least regulated and accepted by most places of business. Bitcoin is mostly used for dark web poo poo because it's untraceable. It's like a pyramid scheme for nerds.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

I agree with you on all counts. But gently caress do I feel like a patsy for not figuring it out and getting some money out of it.

You'd feel even more like a patsy if you'd sunk a ton of money into it and still not figured it out

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

People get rich off of the lottery, I still don't buy scratchoffs

Why do you hate funding schools?!

Blockchain might have some niche applications someday, but bitcoin is loving stupid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Blockchain does not have any applications that cannot be done better by an existing mature, efficient technology (except crime)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

As I understand it, crypto isn't even real money anyway; it's like the equivalent of Reddit karma. On paper, you have, say $100, but it's completely imaginary and wouldn't even hold up in court that you legitimately had that money.

Bitcoin enthusiasts would probably be quick to point out that paper money is the same way, and they have a point. But paper money is at least regulated and accepted by most places of business. Bitcoin is mostly used for dark web poo poo because it's untraceable. It's like a pyramid scheme for nerds.

Crypto is akin to penny stocks: It has value, but the value is entirely in how much REAL money you can get for it, and Bitcoin is so heavily inflated that its laughable that anyone ever considered it a possible currency.

Pretty much the only reason any financial firm ever took Bitcoin seriously was the possibility they could wring actual USD value from it. Its always fun watching Crypto enthusiasts go nuts when you ask them why Bitcoin has no value other than the USD value it compares itself to.

haveblue posted:

Blockchain does not have any applications that cannot be done better by an existing mature, efficient technology (except crime)

This. Blockchain isn't really solving anything, its a new way of doing something we've already done. Its not some groundbreaking tech, and it doesn't exactly do anything better. Blockchain remains a startup and management buzzword.

Kraftwerk posted:

:ssh: Most of those people were already rich, they spent hundreds of thousands on mining equipment and power bills. Bitcoin entirely favors those with the most money from the get go, especially now that you essentially have to be personally wealthy to have enough money to get into mining to make a profit. The only people who were not already rich and got rich off bitcoin got in at the very, very begnning....like a ponzi scheme or a pyramid scheme. Most of the big mining ops are run by companies now.

Bitcoin, right now, is mostly for darknet stuff and money laundering from ransomware and criminal schemes.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 22, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kraftwerk posted:

Goons often spend a lot of time making GBS threads on crypto but at this stage I'm wondering if its sour grapes because people are getting rich off this poo poo. There's people who paid their mortgages in full from their ether earnings.
One might argue that getting rich by destroying the environment to produce absolutely nothing of value is, in itself, contemptible.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Sure but this feeling isn't any different from wishing you had the almanac from Back to the Future that told you on what teams to bet on or what company stocks you should've bought a ton of shares in 2 decades ago. There was no reason to expect crypto to explode the way it did and unlike a company doing well, the rise of crypto is mostly related to corruption and dark net activity that normal people are just trying to take advantage of. Don't feel bad you missed it, just wish you can see it get grinded into the dirt to save the climate.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Maybe. Fine, cool, some people got rich. Me personally, I'm a little more incensed at the incredible amount of waste supporting something functionally useless outside of gambling on its own value, and the number of people who, instead of balking at how hosed up and stupid that is, have convinced themselves it's anything more than that to justify it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

People got rich off of Tulips. Doesn't mean that Tulips were a wise investment.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

...by wasting so much energy we will run out of fossil fuels quicker?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

haveblue posted:

To be fair, I think he's trying to say "no chance of getting a fair trial". Of course to them the fair trial is the one that acquits him so it does still show a lot of rear end

Yeah, it's the go-to Fox News galaxy brain take: "They're just so biased because of the media that it's impossible for them to be fair, therefore the right thing to do is nothing"

I've heard many variations on this and even bought into it myself for a time. It's the Protestant "all have sinned" doctrine twisted into a nihilism which conveniently shows up only when you don't want to address an uncomfortable truth, rather than what it's supposed to be, which is a realization that people on your team can be awful and should be held accountable for it.

See also: every rational human being "biased" against Trump for constantly bombarding all of us with criminal stupidity that makes us hate him

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 22, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

If you take a dollar bill and say, "I would like to pay my taxes with this dollar" they will take it and deduct that amount from what you owe. Since you need dollars to pay your taxes anyway it makes sense to exchange other goods and services so you can get those dollars. That to pay your taxes with dollars you have to exactly describe how you got those dollars may also be pretty clever.

The US will also take your dollars in exchange for their debt and will give you dollars back at exactly the stated value of the debt contract. Theoretically, this closes with the taxes and makes a feedback loop. There seems to be some gain in the function though.

Hence, the dollar has real value, $trillions and $trillions of it enforced at the end of a long line of cops, guns and prisons.

Bitcoins (all crypto-currency) value is seemingly entirely just based on the faith that someday you might be able to pay taxes with it and that no one can tell where you got it from. As far as I can tell, it's entire purpose is to launder illegal monetary gains.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

They don't have a point though, because paper money is backed by a governmental entity, which is ostensibly built on a societal and economic structure that's a very real and tangible thing you can go and touch. A $1 bill may not be backed by literal gold, but it's backed by the food, water, steel, fabric, manufacturing, roads, municipal water systems, power grids, manpower, bureaucratic systems, DMVs, laws, courts, and people working in all of these areas to maintain it all. Want to touch the value of the buck in your pocket? Turn on your kitchen faucet.

Boy though do I agree that it feels like so much funny-money. At the very best it's like a commodity, with all the market stability of beanie-babies.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Don't worry about not getting in on a long shot that ended up making money. All it does is cause anxiety and causes you to make hasty financial decisions in the future. Bitcoin at launch was a literal gamble that ended up being successful (for now).

The entire concept of bitcoin sounds like a scam. Give me real money for digital credits that are created by computers doing some heavy computing. Also, there was a higher concentration of these digital credits that we have already mined, but we'll sell you what we have. Also there are less now, and they will continue being harder and harder to mine.

I'm probably grossly oversimplifying it, but no one blames you for not buying in due to skepticism. It's only valuable now because people think the price will go up. And the price is only going up because people are buying into it hoping the price will go up.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I actualy had an argument with my best friend over crypto two weeks past. His small advertisement business is not doing so well due to Covid in our country, and he said he's planning to build a machine to mine bitcoin.

I told him that's a bad idea because at this point you need a warehouse full of mining equipment to mine anything significant and his piddly desktop rig will be obsolete in 4 months, not to mention that with the US dollar really expensive against the Real it'd take a big investment that would take forever to break even, if at all.

He looked at me as if I had kicked his dog and said that he's seen videos on youtube by experts who had it all down to a science and people were making bank. Said I was just a skeptic.

I brought up the whole "In a gold rush the people digging sometimes strike gold, most of the time they get hosed. The guy selling shovels always makes money, though."

It didn't help.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

VitalSigns posted:

So the headline is completely accurate, but you wanted the NYT to editorialize in the headline instead with some kind of statement about how breaking campaign promises doesn't count as long as Biden makes another promise to fulfill his broken promise in the future.

"Lucy breaks promise, pulls football away from Charlie Brown again" -dishonest framing

"Breaking: Lucy magnanimously cheers a battered Charlie Brown with a stunning promise to hold the football in May!" -objective journalism

No. The determination letter that was treated as breaking a campaign promise was a different action on the refugee system, which the NYT falsely presented as a final action, with no evidence. As people responded, they swapped the contents of the article to cover reactions to the false claim in order to pretend the responses supported the false claim.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Using your current PC to mine is only going to get you enough to buy a Starbucks coffee every other week, it's really not worth the trouble.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On top of all these great points, in order to get any "value" at all from Bitcoin you have to actively make an environmental crisis worse with overpowered computer equipment to "mine" it. Even then I don't think you're even making that much unless you're mining all the time. It reminds me of the 'fraction of a cent' scenes from Office Space, but Milton actually benefited from all those fractions of a cent adding up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thom12255 posted:

Using your current PC to mine is only going to get you enough to buy a Starbucks coffee every other week, it's really not worth the trouble.
Mine ancient pc is making like $2-3 net every day and gave me free heating in the winter. Bitcoin is a dumb ponzi scheme at this point but doesn't mean you can't make money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Josef bugman posted:

Even if you believe in that premise, which is kind of odd, there is still reason to critique things done in general. Because if you just shut up and go "everything is fine" it proves that people will be happy with very little. Never being satisfied with anything is a bad trait in interpersonal relationships. It is a great one when it comes to demanding change and greater governmental oversight.

Agreed. That is why I said it was a terrible decision and a bad stumble and Biden should eat some poo poo for it.