Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

swickles posted:

I like Lebron's abs poking through his jersey.
garrison has the horny for the king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SundayMoney posted:

I hate that and honestly it is so dumb how that works. I had a performance review a while back and was told out the gate, oh I intentionally score everyone low so that there is room for improvement in the next review.

I had a teacher in elementary school who would only gives 99s because ‘no one is perfect except Jesus’. This was in public school in North Carolina.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

I had a teacher in elementary school who would only gives 99s because ‘no one is perfect except Jesus’. This was in public school in North Carolina.

Just make your tests harder.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I've been in the situation where managers with excellent teams are told they're overrating all their employees and have to lower some ratings. As if there's no such thing as a team with six very senior employees who have been doing extremely well at their jobs for 10+ years.

The response org-wide these days seems to be that it's extremely hard to get a 5. A 4 already means you're doing very well and exceeding expectations. You can have one or two 5s out of like 8 criteria but if you have all 5s the manager is gonna get told "bullshit, no such thing as a perfect employee who overperforms in every aspect."

The review process is undoubtedly still useful for employees who are genuinely struggling in some area, but the impact of this sort of thing is that most of the numbers are meaningless. Probably 90% of employees have a bunch of 3s and 4s and exactly 2 5s every year and now you can't really use performance reviews to differentiate, other than maybe finding the bottom 5% of employees who are loving up badly enough that they're gonna get fired.

I get this but there's ways of handling that besides saying "I'm intentionally bullshitting something that materially affects how much the company pays you." Even if the alternative is just lip service it seems like a really bad idea to outright say that. My company for example is notoriously stingy with ratings, My office is supposed to have only given out two fives for any one subject of any one person's performance evaluation ever since we started this branch in like the late '90s.

I really relate to those of you all saying that you find it annoying to have to track your own metrics. When I started my job I went through about 10-12 months where I needed the work like 80 hours a week to keep up with the workload, because I was bad at the job and inefficient.

At some point after I had figured things out the workload had become so severe that they started offering paid overtime for people. I initially was interested, I wasn't in desperate need of it, but it would have helped me clean things up and do a better job overall. However the job was so anal retentive about how you documented that you are working when you came in for your off hours that I got offended and said gently caress it. I worked almost an entire year of unpaid overtime for you guys without compensation and now you're offering me one day of paid overtime and treating me like I'm a liar. gently caress to that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've been watching supernatural. These dudes are for sure getting a lot of CTE. Also Sam is pretty dreamy ngl.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

Jesus cursed a fig tree in anger because it wasn’t in season and even god said the flood was his bad and that he wouldn’t do it again. They would know this if they had ever cracked open the Bible they thump.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

LeeMajors posted:

Haha that is amazing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Freaquency posted:

Jesus cursed a fig tree in anger because it wasn’t in season and even god said the flood was his bad and that he wouldn’t do it again. They would know this if they had ever cracked open the Bible they thump.

I too have cursed trees. Now I can truly say I live a life like Jesus #blessed

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That loving spruce knows what it did.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Eifert Posting posted:

That loving spruce knows what it did.

Do you want me to give you a real reason to weep, willow.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Speaking of trees. My citrus plants are growing really well. Got a native lime and a blood orange. When Armageddon comes I won't get scurvy, will also be able to make a zesty drink.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In 2012 the SCOTUS heard a case about juvenile life without parole sentences and placed some restrictions on the same. In 2016, they heard another case on the same topic and further clarified/expanded the restrictions.

Today, in a 6-3 decision written by :kav:, this precedent is overturned and we're essentially back to previous regime of states being able to lock up minors until they die without any special findings or restrictions so long as it is not mandatory that they sentence someone in that fashion.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1385241031038410753/photo/1

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I get this but there's ways of handling that besides saying "I'm intentionally bullshitting something that materially affects how much the company pays you." Even if the alternative is just lip service it seems like a really bad idea to outright say that. My company for example is notoriously stingy with ratings, My office is supposed to have only given out two fives for any one subject of any one person's performance evaluation ever since we started this branch in like the late '90s.

Yeah. The performance review is a potentially useful tool, but like all tools, it can be abused, and can really hurt people when used improperly. Lots of companies use them to justify anti-employee policies and practices.

A year after I started this job (17 years now), the company converted all of us tech writers to hourly. I had to keep a timesheet for about 14 years, and then about 2 years ago they decided to make us all cross-train with the curriculum development people so that we could be classified as multi-disciplinary workers and switched back to salaried (eliminating overtime, and nevertheless presented to us as if this was good for us because this is what the industry wants now so it's good for your career, seriously!) and while it was an rear end in a top hat move, boooy do I not miss doing timesheets.

Half the reason for the timesheet is to protect the worker, though. If you document your overtime, the company can't not pay you for it. Assuming you're a non-exempt employee. And that you had manager approval to do overtime. Also here in California, anything over 8 hours in a day is OT, even if you work less than 40 that week, so the company basically was insisting that normally I could not work a long day, which is pretty cool with me although my bosses have always turned a blind eye to "flexibility" e.g. if I want to work 10 hours today and then take off an hour early friday and monday that's fine.

The truth is that my timesheet software, which sucked rear end, still had a template capability so I almost always just applied my standard "I worked 40 hours and took a 30m lunch break every day" template and nobody ever really verified if I was flexing hours or even really working those specific hours.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The 2012 lineup was Kennedy, Breyer, Sotomoyor, Kagan, and Ginsburg written by Kagan. The 2016 lineup featured the same five justices plus John Roberts written by Kennedy.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Leperflesh posted:

Half the reason for the timesheet is to protect the worker, though. If you document your overtime, the company can't not pay you for it. Assuming you're a non-exempt employee. And that you had manager approval to do overtime. Also here in California, anything over 8 hours in a day is OT, even if you work less than 40 that week, so the company basically was insisting that normally I could not work a long day, which is pretty cool with me although my bosses have always turned a blind eye to "flexibility" e.g. if I want to work 10 hours today and then take off an hour early friday and monday that's fine.

I work 4/10s but I have to input my time as 5/8s in my time sheet because of dumbness. IF ANYTHING changes during the week it becomes a huuuge bitch to make right.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

Anyway, so after that brush with death I now realize that any post I make could be my last

So

Loving the 80s-style short shorts, bring those back IMO.

Mr. Nice! posted:

In 2012 the SCOTUS heard a case about juvenile life without parole sentences and placed some restrictions on the same. In 2016, they heard another case on the same topic and further clarified/expanded the restrictions.

Today, in a 6-3 decision written by :kav:, this precedent is overturned and we're essentially back to previous regime of states being able to lock up minors until they die without any special findings or restrictions so long as it is not mandatory that they sentence someone in that fashion.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1385241031038410753/photo/1

Footnote from the same case-
https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1385268631043457024

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Now I feel bad for my complaints after hearing about all y'alls bullshit. Thankfully we don't have forced quotas for each rating, just that the highest isn't given out much. I've had the highest rating for the past 3 reviews, but this one just felt so negative and off-putting because some of the feedback was contradictory and I told my boss that I had thought he wasn't a safe space to vent before, then changed my mind and did at times, but now understand it's not what he wants from our relationship so i'll respect that.

He could've just said he doesn't want me to vent to him when something has been particularly stressful at any point, rather than how he did this review. Idk, felt like getting poo poo on for a lot of it just to arrive at I'm this critical because I think you can grow more/are well rounded in these other areas.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My current job is pretty sweet. In both my performance reviews I got great remarks because my quality level exceeded 98% (100% on the last review). They really don't care about quantity over here. Gonna miss this when I move on (I really don't want to move to Seattle when WFH ends).

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I'm so glad that there's just a straight-up pass/fail rubric for performance in my job. Jobs either make money, lose money or break even. 2 of the 3 are acceptable, 1 is not. Performance reviews for my PMs are just, "Did you make more than you lost this year?" and I don't have fiddlefuck around guesstimating what kind of raise or bonus people should get bc that is taken care via profit sharing

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

C-Euro posted:

Loving the 80s-style short shorts, bring those back IMO.

Footnote from the same case-
https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1385268631043457024

Gee Judge, it’s almost as if one is a decision about their own body and the other is based on having impacted others. Weird, I know.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'd yell Just Vote but lol we're so goddamn hosed

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Voyager never really does anything interesting with its concept which is frustrating, but as a star trek show it’s mostly ok. Basically just TNG light. It gets pretty bad in some spots. Kate Mulgrew has gone on record saying that she played Janeway as an insane person because it was the only way for any of the writing to make sense to her.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s so nice that we’ve abdicated minority rule to a loving death cult.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

LeeMajors posted:

It’s so nice that we’ve abdicated minority rule to a loving death cult.

Minority? There's a Democrat who ran on increasing the minimum wage who voted against raising it and is now campaigning with Joe Manchin.

They also voted against it while dressed like a catholic school girl and if anyone bitched they said it was sexism lol

We're a failed state no matter what you believe. It's just what corporation you're comfortable laying with at this point.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

iwentdoodie posted:

Minority? There's a Democrat who ran on increasing the minimum wage who voted against raising it and is now campaigning with Joe Manchin.

They also voted against it while dressed like a catholic school girl and if anyone bitched they said it was sexism lol

We're a failed state no matter what you believe. It's just what corporation you're comfortable laying with at this point.

I mean that a minority of the country holds conservative opinions and that the elite minority holds the levers of power. The majority views are not represented in government. In any branch.

Even at the moment, while holding both houses of Congress and the oval, we are somehow beholden to two conservative corporatist Dems and unable to pass overwhelmingly popular legislation.

And the electoral disadvantages are well-worn.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

Voyager never really does anything interesting with its concept which is frustrating, but as a star trek show it’s mostly ok. Basically just TNG light. It gets pretty bad in some spots. Kate Mulgrew has gone on record saying that she played Janeway as an insane person because it was the only way for any of the writing to make sense to her.

I think the "year of hell" arc finally delved into what it would really mean to be totally removed from your support network for years, but then the entire thing was undone by time loop shenanigans or something so it doesn't count any more.

Janeway was definitely under a ton of pressure throughout and it made sense that her character was cracking at the seams, but I didn't think her portrayal was especially unhinged. Mulgrew had a lot of problems with scripts, though; and with the producers. She felt she got screwed out of the "lead female role" because she wasn't young and hot enough - and that absolutely was the reasoning - and took that out on the actors around her, which was unreasonable.

They have since, apparently, reconciled - e.g., https://trekmovie.com/2020/05/25/interview-kate-mulgrew-on-star-trek-voyager-reunion-and-why-it-would-be-delicious-to-play-janeway-again/

quote:

We had a great time. One night I threw a huge party and everyone came. Jeri Ryan and I sat out on the deck for hours, reminiscing and catching up on stuff.
Unless she's lying, that's really nice to hear, because for like 20 years they couldn't even speak to one another. She basically tormented Ryan on set during especially the first season Ryan joined.

I think Kate Mulgrew herself is a bit insane, really. Driven, proud, smart, hyperactive, kind of brittle. It comes out in her performances.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I mean that a minority of the country holds conservative opinions and that the elite minority holds the levers of power. The majority views are not represented in government. In any branch.

Even at the moment, while holding both houses of Congress and the oval, we are somehow beholden to two conservative corporatist Dems and unable to pass overwhelmingly popular legislation.

And the electoral disadvantages are well-worn.

How many loving Republican senators do we have representing various states with populations under that of LA county?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

How many loving Republican senators do we have representing various states with populations under that of LA county?

Many. The system is intentionally unDemocratic and we are like literally watching them break whatever small concessions to majority interests in real time.

If Dems can’t pass HR1, we are pretty hosed. We are like an actual breath away from unbreakable generational autocracy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Many. The system is intentionally unDemocratic and we are like literally watching them break whatever small concessions to majority interests in real time.

You can also vote in state constitutional amendments like allowing medicaid expansion and they can just say screw off, we're not going to fund it. I mean it was always going to court either way, but that happened last night in Missouri.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1385374988362977281?s=21

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I did not expect that she would grow a mane.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Leperflesh posted:

I've been in the situation where managers with excellent teams are told they're overrating all their employees and have to lower some ratings. As if there's no such thing as a team with six very senior employees who have been doing extremely well at their jobs for 10+ years.

The response org-wide these days seems to be that it's extremely hard to get a 5. A 4 already means you're doing very well and exceeding expectations. You can have one or two 5s out of like 8 criteria but if you have all 5s the manager is gonna get told "bullshit, no such thing as a perfect employee who overperforms in every aspect."

This is my loving company to a T. If you are good at your job and looked up to by others, you're a 3 out if 5. If you're exceptional and your boss is able to justify it, you're a 4, but the only 4 on your team. You will never be a 5, even though it exists.

Oh and if you were a 4 last year and kicked the same amount of rear end this year, you're a 3 because you obviously just did your average. If you did just a good job this year you're a 2 (with no bonus or raise) because you fell from the prior year's standards.

Also anyone above your boss can override your boss's scores, even if they've never met you.

gently caress my company, and really all companies.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Our shift lost a direct supervisor one time years ago and the second in command person was put in charge of yearly evals. Since she wasn’t our direct supervisor, she left all categories requiring direct input blank instead of, you know, putting in any effort whatsoever.

Unfortunately, she didn’t understand averages and literally just gave us zeroes in like 3 of the 8 or so categories—so we had an entire shift who fell below termination levels on numeric scale because this dumb loving idiot didn’t understand what we were telling her when we refused to sign them.

It took a lot of griping to HR to get it fixed. Because people are too often pridefully idiotic and cannot admit they’re wrong.

gently caress management.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My local branch is very well managed. My boss and my boss's boss are both very capable. There are other branches in the state that have poor management and they constantly fail in hiring or fail to train people and they become a liability for the entire state. At one point the state level manager took a shot at the manager of our branch in a meeting about how it takes her longer to hire people than other branches in Ohio and I had to mute myself on the Skype call because I was about to throw down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

This is my loving company to a T. If you are good at your job and looked up to by others, you're a 3 out if 5. If you're exceptional and your boss is able to justify it, you're a 4, but the only 4 on your team. You will never be a 5, even though it exists.

Oh and if you were a 4 last year and kicked the same amount of rear end this year, you're a 3 because you obviously just did your average. If you did just a good job this year you're a 2 (with no bonus or raise) because you fell from the prior year's standards.

Also anyone above your boss can override your boss's scores, even if they've never met you.

gently caress my company, and really all companies.

I've hosed up new duties given to me on purpose at jobs (waiting tables) because I knew if I was better at it than the manager or the other people they tricked into doing it they would keep asking me. I'll do necessary prep work, and closing work so the job isn't harder than it needs to be for the person on the next shift, but the main thing you're paying me for is talking to tables, and the money the tables I talk to pay me 3 times what the restaurant does, no I don't want to write the daily specials.

That last one I didn't actually gently caress up on purpose, my naturally terrible handwriting and my inability to spell spinich spinach correctly on my first try got me out of that one.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 23, 2021

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel pretty confident when I say I've probably got the worst handwriting in this subform. It looks like a 9-year-old got wasted on tequila and also kicked in the head by a horse

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Eifert Posting posted:

I feel pretty confident when I say I've probably got the worst handwriting in this subform. It looks like a 9-year-old got wasted on tequila and also kicked in the head by a horse

It is likely not worse than Madison Cawthorn, so take heart.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Do we have anyone here who grew up in an Arabic country here? One job was at a place owned by Jordanian immigrants, they had accents but otherwise spoke perfect English, but growing up using a completely different looking alphabet hosed up their ability to use ours. I would have to call the owner over when ringing in tickets if he took a table. Makes a doctor's note look like a thank you letter written by Emily Post.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My uncle is a cardiologist and he once commented when I was in the fourth grade that if he didn't know better he would have thought I'd had a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eifert Posting posted:

My handwriting is illegible on a good day and on most it looks like I was having a full-body dry heave while putting pen to paper.