Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I don't bookmark anything, I manually navigate the forums and click any threads that interest me and keep an eye out for the unread posts notifications by their names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Can anyone recommend a brand of wet-erase markers for drawing on your bog standard wet-erase trpg mats? The crap ones I can get at the supermarket around here are not cutting it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's 40 pages of core rules, 40 pages of player options, 15 pages of GM advice, 65 pages of pregens and scenario seeds, and everything else in the book is setting information.

At this point in my life, I have no idea what actually makes a ruleset complicated anymore. I played MF0 Rapid Assault with two friends a few weeks ago and I think the core rules to that can fit onto about 3 index cards, but we still took 2 hours to do just barely 2 turns.

That said the core rules to BITD is 50 pages and I've taught the game in like...under 20 minutes? Like I said I have no idea. Nothing is certain dice reigns etc.

Tsilkani posted:

I don't bookmark anything, I manually navigate the forums and click any threads that interest me and keep an eye out for the unread posts notifications by their names.

The OSR of posting.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Tulip posted:

The OSR of posting.

What did I ever do you to, that you would wrong me so?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Browse the forums is what I do when none of my bookmarked threads have new posts.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

Can anyone recommend a brand of wet-erase markers for drawing on your bog standard wet-erase trpg mats? The crap ones I can get at the supermarket around here are not cutting it.

I think I got mine at a teacher supply store fifteen years ago.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How does everyone take notes for games? Obviously my phone is RIGHT HERE IN MY HAND but putting ideas down in it doesn't feel as real and solid and jotting them down on paper. Am I alone here?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Len posted:

How does everyone take notes for games? Obviously my phone is RIGHT HERE IN MY HAND but putting ideas down in it doesn't feel as real and solid and jotting them down on paper. Am I alone here?

I run online so I use a Google doc. I shared them when I was a player.
Can't do it any other way besides text editors.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

When playing or running, always with pen and paper, I have a stack of post its and old envelopes at my computer for less permanent notes and keep a notebook for more important game notes and in person games, when they were a thing. Notes for things to do next game I just use whatever is closest.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When I was running in person, if I sat down right after the session, I was able to type down pretty good notes, even if during the session I'd only scribble or write down small highlights. Remotely I do more typing during, otherwise I forget.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SkyeAuroline posted:

I run online so I use a Google doc. I shared them when I was a player.
Can't do it any other way besides text editors.

That's how I relay information to my players and since we've been on discord I set up a channel specifically with relevant things to copy and paste for what's hopefully that session. But when I have just like a random idea if it doesn't hit paper it gets forgotten

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I take game logs on my laptop and keep them in a wiki with the semantic extensions, so I can easily cross-reference which NPCs showed up in which sessions.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I take game logs on my laptop and keep them in a wiki with the semantic extensions, so I can easily cross-reference which NPCs showed up in which sessions.

Goddamn, I'm jealous.

I have...multiple different google docs and spreadsheets and struggle to coordinate them.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, any advice on how to set something like that up would be much appreciated.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's a bit of a labor of love for me, and I used to be a UNIX sysadmin, so it starts with getting a web hosting provider that will either let you hop in and install your own software, or a MediaWiki hosting provider that includes Semantic. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hosting_services has a few links.

From there it's all about careful use of MediaWiki templates and queries. It's, um, kind of a learning curve, and having set it all up many years ago, I tend to just copy/paste old code into each new campaign page. I've got poo poo like this:

code:
<includeonly>{{#ifexist: {{{1}}} | [[npcref::{{{1}}}| ]][[{{{1}}}]] | {{#ifexist: {{#show: {{PAGENAME}} | ?Campaign|link=none}}/{{{1}}} | [[npcref::{{#show: {{PAGENAME}} | ?Campaign|link=none}}/{{{1}}} | {{{1}}} ]] | {{#set:npcref={{#show: {{PAGENAME}} | ?Campaign|link=none}}/{{{1}}} }}{{{1}}} }} }}</includeonly>
Which is a template called npcref. When I take a game log, the first time I write down an NPC's name, I say {{npcref|That One Guy}} and if there's a page for That One Guy, it renders as a link to the page, and also sets a semantic property for the game log saying he's in it. Then when I create an NPC, their page is preloaded with

code:
{{NpcLogAppearances
|CONCEPT=AWBlackRainLog
|NPC={{PAGENAME}}
}}
so the NPC's page automatically includes a list of log entries where they appear. I want my gaming group to sign off on it but once they do I'll post the link here. If people have questions, it might motivate me to clean some stuff up. I haven't been as vigilant as I should about updating my stuff as the Semantic module changes.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I just use Obsidian.md.

It's a smooth app. It stores my files locally in markdown. I can see what files link to other files (and it uses wiki linking syntax). I can tag files. So I can easily see for a given organization when the organization was first mentioned and when a member of the organization first interacted with the PCs. It does templates, random files (for those deep cut references), images, everything I need.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
TiddlyWiki is an effectively-semantic wiki with an expressive query language that doesn’t need messing about with hosting as long as you can install node.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Here's the wiki page for my favorite of all the AW games we've played: https://aafnrp.cipul.com/wiki/index.php?title=Brink

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
D&D campaign concept: survivors of the gender reveal locate city

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Resident Evil: Gender Survivor

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Blue and Pink Markets

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I started using Fly Slourish's notion template as a DM for notes and it's really nice. Lets you keep databases of NPCs and a crosslink them and stuff, notion's really nice in general. I also use notion for campaign notes as a player, but I don't have a particular template for it, I started with the DM one and ripped most of it out and just use it to track notes on NPCs and sessions. You can also use it for writing or handouts or whatever and link individual pages for your players.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

tokenbrownguy posted:

The brand I've always used is Vis-a-Vis by Expo.
https://smile.amazon.com/Expo-16001-Vis-Erase-Markers/dp/B00006IFGQ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=visavis&qid=1619192709&sr=8-5
https://smile.amazon.com/16078-Wet-...19192709&sr=8-3

Just be sure to throw out the red ones, those will stain loving everything. The purple stains if left on for more than twelve hours or so, but I like purple so I just put up with it :shrug:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

bbcisdabomb posted:

The brand I've always used is Vis-a-Vis by Expo.
https://smile.amazon.com/Expo-16001-Vis-Erase-Markers/dp/B00006IFGQ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=visavis&qid=1619192709&sr=8-5
https://smile.amazon.com/16078-Wet-...19192709&sr=8-3

Just be sure to throw out the red ones, those will stain loving everything. The purple stains if left on for more than twelve hours or so, but I like purple so I just put up with it :shrug:

I use those and I'm happy with them. I haven't had any staining but now that I think about it, I don't think I've even used the red or purple ones on a map.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Here's the wiki page for my favorite of all the AW games we've played: https://aafnrp.cipul.com/wiki/index.php?title=Brink

Wow. This layout is really nice.

Thanks for all the wiki advice all.

On a completely different note, I like randomizers for world building and adventures. I recently got recommended a 100 page zine called Rakehell which describes a contested land between two kingdoms filled with fantasy weirdness, strange cults and adventure. It was only $3 as well.

https://goatmansgoblet.itch.io/rakehell-1

quote:

The Rift of Mar-Milloir will always be contested between two kingdoms, though neither will ever have the means or desire to enforce that claim with true rulership. Each year, the representative courtiers will send spies and assassins to one another’s court, to beguile, berate, and suffer further insult to see the conflict never ends. No one goes to Mar-Milloir who has a choice, it is a wretched and perfidious region of serpent-haunted mountains, wayward nephilims, and heretical holdouts who refuse the reformation of the Grand Heliopapacy of the Cathedral Tempestuous.

You have been sent here, if not to die then to profit your betters. You are a blaggard, a knave, a blackguard, a rakehell, and an out-and-out scoundrel; whether you desire such a title or otherwise.

Survive. Change your fickle fortunes. Take the Rift for yourself. Praise be to the Sun and those who have inherited its grace; with ambition enough, you will stand among them.

Here are some of my favorite bits from the random tables:

quote:

What have I heard about this wretched place?

Eat no fish within the Rift, the rivers run polluted with dragon’s spume and each fish is wretched with their lies.

Eat only fish within the Rift, the locals known a particular and delicious means of frying them with wild garlic. It brings out their taste and puts bones easily to rest.

What am I to expect of these backwoods yokels?

No women among them, all the men breed with pig sows to breed forth the next generation of misbegotten youths.

Only womenfolk out here, they grow tall and big and burly as any man. They breed only with foreigners, cut them to pieces once they’re done harvesting what they want.

You can expect about as much of them as you can from any city-folk. They’re just people, with their own customs and their own failings. They aren’t monsters.

Arms and Armor

Schiessjoppe ringmail jacket and trousers, marked with decorative badges.

Antiquated linothorax depicting icons of a seldom acknowledged Sun of Cerulean.

Kurkel bow [Two-Handed] made from the rib patterns of a traitor from the Kurkel Bridge massacre.

Phallic brazen war-pick blessed with kisses by two dozen pilgrims. Smells of grease.

Raggedy tattered cloth shawl, made from a mouldering old war banner and spare fabric.

Brass krug-style disc brigandine, with a scowling fanged sun upon its belly, supported by a sash of white and orange.

Shepherd’s castration knife, warm to the touch, ram’s head carved into the hilt.

Petrified wooden pig-sticker of the First Men, it catches mist when used at night and gives the wielder a feeling of sublime purpose.

In addition to the above, Rakehell also has details about strange factions, a black market, a brigand fort, a Wyrm's lair, giants, fiends and the ruined First-Men's crypts. All of these include random tables to ensure no encounter is the same twice.

Here are two of the factions:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

This loving rules.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well the fish are magically contaminated without exception but on the other hand ugh wild garlic fish so good

look. One small fillet every now and then can't possibly do any harm, right? Yes yes we all know the dragon spume story listen just try this fish it is seriously loving amazing

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Renegade Game Studios.

Anyone got a feel for their output? PDX now has them on WOD duty apparently.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 24, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Of their output I've only played Clank and Clank in Space, which are deck building board games. The former is interesting but suffers from a lot of bad balance and under-tested elements. The design definitely improved with the latter but it's heavily random.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

StratGoatCom posted:

Renegade Game Studios.

The game that runs my local game parlor has been on a few of their streams with the upcoming vampire game. James really seems to enjoy it, but he's also a big card game guy so there's a bias

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

They've got Justin Achilli heading the Vampire dev, so I expect it's going to go back to its roots a bit.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Absurd Alhazred posted:

When I was running in person, if I sat down right after the session, I was able to type down pretty good notes, even if during the session I'd only scribble or write down small highlights. Remotely I do more typing during, otherwise I forget.

Yeah, definitely take notes right after the session if you're GMing. You'll never remember half the stuff that happened in the session if you leave it a week.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gort posted:

Yeah, definitely take notes right after the session if you're GMing. You'll never remember half the stuff that happened in the session if you leave it a week.

This is good advice for basically anything in life that benefits from notetaking.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yup. I've gotten to the point of taking notes mid session whenever possible (as mentioned, online games, so keyboard and screen at hand). Could never manage a biweekly game otherwise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/HardWiredIsland/status/1386292612265517059

/chef's kiss

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Should be charging $45.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

StratGoatCom posted:

Renegade Game Studios.

They make Fox in the Forest which I really enjoy. They also sent a representative and a few hundred bucks of free merchandise to our tiny rear end convention.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

slap me and kiss me posted:

Should be charging $45.

At least! It’s a LIFTS-grade gem.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hey speaking of DTRPG comments sections, what's going on with our good friend Venger Satanis recently?

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
His output over the last few years has been extremely sad. A middle-aged man trying to capitalize on Internet phenomena like "thot audit" to sell bad D&D homebrew to college-age anime Nazis. Pathetic!