Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
One problem with a potential Captain America and Winter Soldier 2 is that they seemed to set up Bucky for a "walking the earth like Kane" kind of future. They could start apart and come together later but it also seems like they could each get their own thing.

Also, they have to give Sam a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

ISAIAH BRADLEY

However, fearful of the ramifications of a black super soldier. Some individuals within the government tried to erase Isaiah’s story from history.

Ah, the classic "bad actors" defense to avoid admitting the system was (and is) broken

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I really didn't like how Sam's public rebuke was all it took to make more progress than Karli ever made.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ravel posted:

I really didn't like how Sam's public rebuke was all it took to make more progress than Karli ever made.

A celebrity making more of an impact than an activist seems pretty realistic.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

live with fruit posted:

One problem with a potential Captain America and Winter Soldier 2 is that they seemed to set up Bucky for a "walking the earth like Kane" kind of future. They could start apart and come together later but it also seems like they could each get their own thing.

Also, they have to give Sam a movie.

I actually thought the opposite. I could totally see CA4 opening with Bucky going "So I'm dating your sister and moving in..."

Also, man imagine even 10 years ago having a black Captain America in the MCU monologuing about how the terrorists have a point, and for that to be generally acceptable to the audience.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 23, 2021

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Much like Ghandi and the Indian Army and MLK and the Black Panthers, Sam wouldn't have been able to make his point without Karli and the Flag Smashers. Because violent resistance isn't only valid but necessary.

I appreciate Cap coming out against the word terrorist, even in real life when people use it now everything they say after just starts to sound like fog horn because they're inevitably saying some truly dumb poo poo.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Makes you wonder why Sam, Bucky and Walker bothered trying to stop them when they were stealing medicines from supply depots.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ravel posted:

Makes you wonder why Sam, Bucky and Walker bothered trying to stop them when they were stealing medicines from supply depots.

Sam and Bucky didn't, their interest was in the serum. And Walker is a government stooge.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It maybe because I woke earlier than planned and still haven’t had my coffee, but the editing felt brutally tight. Otherwise, I feel like they stuck the landing.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Well that was a wild ride overall. I do want to see more Bucky/Cap action in the future. Their chemistry was really good in this.

Next is Loki in June, correct?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I just imagined the Wakandians and Shuri going ‘Oh they want a Captain America suit? Time to make the gaudiest American outfit we can.’

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sharon in this episode was Hayward from WV. Seemingly well intentioned but hints of malice through the season then acts of comical villainy in the final episode so you know they were the big bad (all alooong). Felt just as clumsy. Also everything to do with the episode with the serum doctor makes no sense in retrospect, especially when you remember all the threatening texts sent to Karli from who we now know is Sharon

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

Sharon in this episode was Hayward from WV. Seemingly well intentioned but hints of malice through the season then acts of comical villainy in the final episode so you know they were the big bad (all alooong). Felt just as clumsy. Also everything to do with the episode with the serum doctor makes no sense in retrospect, especially when you remember all the threatening texts sent to Karli from who we now know is Sharon

Unless her plan was to get a pardon out of Sam and infiltrate the CIA.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Sharon definitely needed a Usual Suspects type exposition scene. Like clearly laying out why she did this or that. Otherwise half the things she does is baffling and kinda hand waved in a Keikaku (just as planned) way by the ending.

The only thing I can believe is that her position as power broker is actually way less secure than we are initially led to believe and she was acting out of desperation.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought Sam's speech felt a little silly given that the flag smashers just tried to murder a bunch of world leaders. How many more chances is he going to give a bunch of cold blooded killer?

I must have misunderstood something, I thought the plan was for there to be a new MCU show continuously, I assume there are no plans until Loki premieres in 1½ month.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BurritoJustice posted:

I just realize that WV can stand for WandVision or for Westview.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I'd loved a new MCU/SW show continuously but I'm just happy we don't have the drought from the first year. During quarantine D+ was basically the Moana and Coco streaming service.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

I'd loved a new MCU/SW show continuously but I'm just happy we don't have the drought from the first year. During quarantine D+ was basically the Moana and Coco streaming service.

They probably don't want Loki overshadowing The Bad Batch.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oasx posted:

I thought Sam's speech felt a little silly given that the flag smashers just tried to murder a bunch of world leaders. How many more chances is he going to give a bunch of cold blooded killer?

I must have misunderstood something, I thought the plan was for there to be a new MCU show continuously, I assume there are no plans until Loki premieres in 1½ month.

Maybe that was the plan before COVID hosed up the schedule?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think Sam's speech was clunky and went on waaaaay too long, and I don't really get why they included Sharon in the show at all. Like, remove her from the show, and what do you really lose? Either cut her, or actually integrate her into the show. Her random appearances, and then, "Surprise" she's the Power Broker (...okay?) felt really weak and pointless. But overall, I think the show stuck the landing. Love Sam as Cap, love ending on Sam and Bucky just having fun at the party, loved how Sam fights with the shield, wings, and rocket pack.

Overall, good stuff.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's pretty nuts how long Sam's speech went. I couldn't tell you half of what he said.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oasx posted:

There's a Star Wars show starting on May 4th (because of course there is on that date), Disney probably doesn't want an MCU show getting the attention when they can just spread them out.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Great episode and great show overall although I feel like the action sequences would've worked better in daylight. Especially the stuff over the hudson was hard to see in parts
Stan is really great as Bucky. It really hit me how different he looked after he was done making amends and had made some peace with himself

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oasx posted:

I think it was based off the assumption that every series would have roughly the same number of episodes as WandaVision (which also put up 2 episodes in its first week).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Goodnight, sweet Leeeeepair, I will miss you :(

Finale was okay. Some nice action scenes but I was unsatisfied with how all the Flag Smashers were ultimately dealt with. Sam's speech, while the intent was good, was clunky as hell and the whole scene felt really awkward with that shitheel senator just arguing with him in the street trying to defend the GRC's horseshit. Loved Cap v Batroc and am gutted we won't get another rematch now (gently caress YOU, SHARON) as he's great as a recurring Bond style pre-credits badguy to chump on. The Power Broker stuff was eh, we've all suspected for weeks so no surprises there, it feels half-baked and horrendously out of character (my head canon is that joining the CIA crack-pinged Sharon's brain). And while it was nice that Sam did get Isaiah his much deserved and long overdue recognition, I'm not sure I buy him being pleased about it given everything he said in the previous ep. It just felt too pat.

And much as it pains me to admit it given it's Sam's series and all about him accepting he absolutely is the best man for the job my favourite moment of the whole episode was John putting aside his thirst for vengeance to try and save the people trapped in the truck. I'm kinda hype to see where they take him from here because Wyatt Russell has been an unexpected delight in what is a pretty thankless role. Plus Bucky dunking on him never gets old.

So yeah, merely an okay end to the series but overall, while far from perfect I really liked the show and would deffo watch a second series if they do one. If I'm honest, I kinda prefer the six episode format, I like that it gives more room to explore the characters, feels like a typical comic book story arc than heavily compressed into a one off cinema experience.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Wuxi posted:

Great episode and great show overall although I feel like the action sequences would've worked better in daylight. Especially the stuff over the hudson was hard to see in parts

Pretty sure that's about hiding the effects. As is, they still weren't movie level.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
lots of 'oh cool' moments, but as soon as I apply any kind of critique to it, the whole thing falls apart. Flag smashers never being truly committed, trying to take hostages? Sam's hokey rebuke of Senator whoever and world bank no one who really had no demonstrated or intended justification for what they were doing but just being a windmill for the smashers to tilt at? Sam didn't actually resolve anything but perpetuating the status quo (loving moralists). This is literally the hire more black prison guards the meme the comic the show.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

When did "dramatic irony" become such a dirty word? What is gained by keeping the Power Broker reveal this late from the audience, versus getting that out of the way quickly and wringing actual suspense out of it still being a secret to the characters?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sentinel Red posted:

And while it was nice that Sam did get Isaiah his much deserved and long overdue recognition, I'm not sure I buy him being pleased about it given everything he said in the previous ep. It just felt too pat.

I think a lot of Isiah's objections were built on the presumption that the United States would never accept a Black Captain America; either the government or the people. Which Sam demonstrated they will, at least when that Captain America forces the issue by taking shield and wearing the uniform with or without their permission, and just doing what he's going to do regardless of the hate that some people will have towards him for it. In terms of recognition for Isiah himself, I'm kind of assuming that Isiah is living under an assumed name with the last few decades. The people who installed that statue and information probably think Isiah is dead, so they're not looking for him or anything.

Edit: I really hope that whatever work Sam next appears in that they change his uniform a bit, at least to get rid of that stupid looking headpiece. The googles on their own were much better looking. The half balaclava headsock thing just looks silly, and the fact his ears just poke out some holes in the side just makes it worse. Seeing that pulled me out of the moment when he was giving his big speech to the senators, since I hadn't noticed it till then.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 23, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't know if i'm just imagining things, but I recently re-watched Lodge 49 and the way Walker acted in that last scene reminded me of Dudley a bit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So what was the Flagsmasher's plan in this episode? At first thought it was just to take out the GRC leadership, but then they could have just killed them in the building, right? Why move them?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It was pretty obvious in the previous episode that Sharon was the Power Broker, and it also seems pretty obvious that she intentionally gave the SSS to Karli as a long con to get back into the US government. I think signs point to her being a Skrull.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Levels of non-commital status quo bullshit only attainable by Disney when the senator who in the previous episode cackled maniacally as he declared "gently caress the refugees! I'm going to go over your heads and kick them all out with no extra considerations!" (shocking even the other GRC suits) gets hit with a slap on the wrist and quite literally just having to add some minorities onto his board of evil directors

I also feel for the Aussie flag smasher who had the "are we the baddies?" moment and no real damage to his name getting merced by relatable psychopath Zemo. it's somewhat uncomfortable how okay people are with Zemo given his history of bombing the UN and killing T'chaka

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

Levels of non-commital status quo bullshit only attainable by Disney when the senator who in the previous episode cackled maniacally as he declared "gently caress the refugees! I'm going to go over your heads and kick them all out with no extra considerations!" (shocking even the other GRC suits) gets hit with a slap on the wrist and quite literally just having to add some minorities onto his board of evil directors

I also feel for the Aussie flag smasher who had the "are we the baddies?" moment and no real damage to his name getting merced by relatable psychopath Zemo. it's somewhat uncomfortable how okay people are with Zemo given his history of bombing the UN and killing T'chaka

I was sorely disappointed they didn't make him Power Broker, it would have fit in perfectly as he would reveal that he only let Karli get as close as she can because he allow it and now that testing has been perfected, he would had the perfect tool to help the GRC carry out their agenda.

And honestly I was not okay with the death of the survivors, it really rubs it in the Millennial face that they are ultimately powerless before old world illuminati and the New World Order

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was so pumped when he gave up the Falcon costume but then they gave him this goofy rear end google version of Captain America. I really wish they’d done literally anything else but the goggle bandana. Perfect costume except for that. Just hits every aesthetic dislike for me, but I guess I can live with it.

Interested to see what’s next for these nerds.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gyrobot posted:

I was sorely disappointed they didn't make him Power Broker, it would have fit in perfectly as he would reveal that he only let Karli get as close as she can because he allow it and now that testing has been perfected, he would had the perfect tool to help the GRC carry out their agenda.r

I disagree, and don't think it'd have fit at all if Zemo was the Power Broker, because why would someone who hates super soldiers and who has made it his mission in life to eliminate them at every opportunity, including smashing every vial of the serum he came across at the first chance he got, work to not only make super soldiers but employ them? Nor has he ever indicated he gives a single whiff of a poo poo about the GRC or their agenda. Him being the Power Broker is about as far from perfect as I can imagine, and he was the one person I was reasonably confident it wouldn't be, because nothing about it made sense.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

tsob posted:

I disagree, and don't think it'd have fit at all if Zemo was the Power Broker, because why would someone who hates super soldiers and who has made it his mission in life to eliminate them at every opportunity, including smashing every vial of the serum he came across at the first chance he got, work to not only make super soldiers but employ them? Nor has he ever indicated he gives a single whiff of a poo poo about the GRC or their agenda. Him being the Power Broker is about as far from perfect as I can imagine, and he was the one person I was reasonably confident it wouldn't be, because nothing about it made sense.

The Senator I mean, not Zemo, I didn't word it properly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gyrobot posted:

The Senator I mean, not Zemo, I didn't word it properly.

Ah, sorry. I guess it'd have made sense in a foreshadowing for other shows way, but there was so little of him in the show that it'd have felt unsatisfying for a lot of people in a different way that you find the actual reveal I imagine.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BurritoJustice posted:

Everyone has goldfish brains when it comes to the MCU.

John Walker literally just murdered a guy two episodes ago for no reason, and are now cheering on his heroic moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

BurritoJustice posted:

I mean, it goes to show that the people you like in in stories aren't necessarily the people you like in real life. Writing a character memorably or entertainingly is much more important than writing them being nice.

The Flag Smashers are sympathetic and I would probably get along with them in real life, but they have no personality. Or, let me rephrase, their personality is that they're political. Their backstory is also that they are political. They are characters defined entirely, head to toe, by their politics. That's...I mean, that's boring. It's hard to engage with that, even if you actually do share their politics.

Zemo is a dangerous ideologue who absolutely belongs in jail and would probably be kinda annoying to hang out with in real life, but he's stylish and interesting and has a compelling history with our protagonists. It's no wonder that everyone would end up liking him more.