Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
if brois johnsob was biden, hunter's massive penis would still be a myth,
we wouldn't even know if he existed at all.m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hey USAians shut up this is a thread for complaining about the British conservative party rather than the ones in the USA.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/PaulWilliamsLAB/status/1385510438130049024

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Remembering when Corbyn proposed 4 extra bank holidays with this being one of them and the guardian writing an article about how this was out of touch with the working class

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Very normal thing for a fairly successful actor who's spent the last 5 years ranting about jew hater Corbyn to tweet at a Jewish woman

https://twitter.com/eddiemarsan/status/1385132104888033280?s=19

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

namesake posted:

Hey USAians shut up this is a thread for complaining about the British conservative party rather than the ones in the USA.

uh wtf are you implying that the british kingdom has only one conservative party???

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1385542397942239234?s=19

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Pretty good has issued a correction as of 07:10 on May 7, 2021

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Jose posted:

Remembering when Corbyn proposed 4 extra bank holidays with this being one of them and the guardian writing an article about how this was out of touch with the working class

He was loving screamed at for it being a bad awful loony lefty fantasy (because it'd mean workers getting a few extra days off during some of the hottest days of the year and capital can't loving abide that apparently) and now we've got this flagshagging tripe.

Speaking of Labour making GBS threads the bed while campaigning in Hartlepool, watch Forensic Man fall to pieces over a few simple questions.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1385362197052862467?s=20

Amazing how you push against Keith's cop tendencies even slightly and he just loving clams up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

imagine what he'll be like when the press actually stick the boot in

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I imagine somewhat like this:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you know after the last 5 years i assume if it happened now the reason they'd castigate him is because he's jewish eating bacon

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

you know after the last 5 years i assume if it happened now the reason they'd castigate him is because he's jewish eating bacon

shockingly, that was the reason at the time

"north london geek"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I remember the express(?) front page that was just Red Eds Racist Dad Hated Britain And Probably Liked Hitler Or Something

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jose posted:

i thought the media mockery of his two kitchens was about him being hypocritical about rich people and having such a big house to have two, i had no idea it was coded antisemitism about his jewish heritage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

i thought the media mockery of his two kitchens was about him being hypocritical about rich people and having such a big house to have two, i had no idea it was coded antisemitism about his jewish heritage

the absolute worst thing about the corbyn antisemitism stuff of the last few years is that its let a huge number of massive racists pretend they're anti-racist activists

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

the absolute worst thing about the corbyn antisemitism stuff of the last few years is that its let a huge number of massive racists pretend they're anti-racist activists

well yeah, in british ruling class ideology anti-racism is the only true racism they're pretty explicit about this

anti-apartheid sentiment just means antisemitism and BLM are racist against white statues

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jel Shaker posted:

There was also something about James Brokenshire's (tory MP) kitchen having four ovens and I saw comments & tweets that people shouldn't naysay him for having four ovens because his wife was jewish and thus any criticism of 4 ovens in one kitchen was anti-semitic.

The fact that (a) noone knew his wife was Jewish and (b) unless you are running a mass catering enterprise such as a restaurant, cafe, hotel, school or hospital, why the heck would you need 4 ovens and the fact that you have 4 shows that one or both of you is indecently overpaid / undertaxed.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Jose posted:

Very normal thing for a fairly successful actor who's spent the last 5 years ranting about jew hater Corbyn to tweet at a Jewish woman

https://twitter.com/eddiemarsan/status/1385132104888033280?s=19

The moment he found even a small measure of success he went fully insane. It's remarkable how (for me atleast) we have a pre/post corbyn Britain and everyone who hates him is an insane loving dipshit. Can't even enjoy countdown anymore.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

The moment he found even a small measure of success he went fully insane. It's remarkable how (for me atleast) we have a pre/post corbyn Britain and everyone who hates him is an insane loving dipshit. Can't even enjoy countdown anymore.

he fucks a pig in the gentlemen lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It annoyed me how the media went from headlining Labour's alleged anti-semitism literally every loving day to completely and utterly dropping it as soon as Corbyn was gone and Starmer was safely ensconced as leader. The sheer speed and shamelessness of their switch from "most important story in the world" to "nothing to see here!"

And yes, I know Covid happened in the meantime but STILL, you'd expect at least the odd follow up article, just for some veneer of plausibility but no.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Pistol_Pete posted:

It annoyed me how the media went from headlining Labour's alleged anti-semitism literally every loving day to completely and utterly dropping it as soon as Corbyn was gone and Starmer was safely ensconced as leader. The sheer speed and shamelessness of their switch from "most important story in the world" to "nothing to see here!"

And yes, I know Covid happened in the meantime but STILL, you'd expect at least the odd follow up article, just for some veneer of plausibility but no.

I'm starting to think that these criticisms may not have been entirely in good faith!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

gonadic io posted:

I'm starting to think that these criticisms may not have been entirely in good faith!

:eyepop:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

a big part of this though is that labour MPs aren't constantly briefing against starmer that he's not handling antisemitism. its much easier to pump out constant articles when you've got quotes for it. just ask the same person every day for an anonymous quote and boom you've got justification for an article. this is why the guardian published more than any other paper. tom watson was basically working for them

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

I mean it's pretty simple, there isn't any antisemitism now that Corbyn and his cultists are gone

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

gonadic io posted:

whoa whoa whoa our planet is a spherical cow and all people are point masses who obey the reasonable persons principle in good faith while making optimal decisions with full information

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

this will come back strong as labour loses seats. there still are many years to go before the establishment stops blaming Jezza for all the evil under the sun.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bedpan posted:

this will come back strong as labour loses seats. there still are many years to go before the establishment stops blaming Jezza for all the evil under the sun.

Labour (all formats) still get 'the bins' thrown at them more than 40 years later and despite there having been a (notionally) Labour govt from 1997-2010 with no 'bins' since then.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

"I never thought the leopard I hired to mastermind our face-eating strategy would eat MY face off", says leader of the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/23/dominic-cummings-launches-attack-on-boris-johnson

quote:

Dominic Cummings has launched an unprecedented and extraordinary attack on Boris Johnson, alleging that the prime minister tried to quash a leak inquiry as it implicated an ally, and hatched a “possibly illegal” plan for donors to pay to renovate his flat.

The outburst by Cummings, a day after anonymous No 10 sources claimed that he had leaked private text messages between Johnson and the billionaire James Dyson, prompted Labour to accuse the government of “fighting each other like rats in a sack”.

Cummings used a lengthy post on his personal blog to deny any leaking. Instead, he accused Johnson and his team of a series of wrongdoings. He said the prime minister had behaved in a way he considered “mad and totally unethical”, and warned that he would happily give evidence under oath to an inquiry.

“It is sad to see the PM and his office fall so far below the standards of competence and integrity the country deserves,” he wrote.

Such a damning intervention by the man who was Johnson’s key ally and ideological inspiration will deeply alarm the prime minister and his aides. Cummings is due to give evidence to MPs next month.

Cummings, who left Downing Street in November, dismissed the accusation, in an anonymous briefing to several newspapers on Thursday, that he had leaked the texts between Dyson and Johnson.

In the exchanges last March, the prime minister appeared to promise the businessman that he would “fix” an issue on the tax status of Dyson staff working in the UK during the pandemic.

Cummings said he had checked his phone and had not been forwarded the messages in question. He claimed he had been told by Downing Street officials that Dyson’s office had emailed screenshots of his exchanges with Johnson to a series of officials, including some at the Treasury, and that this was what had been leaked. He said he had not been copied into this.

“I am happy to meet with the cabinet secretary and for him to search my phone for Dyson messages,” he wrote. “If the PM did send them to me, as he is claiming, then he will be able to show the cabinet secretary on his own phone when they were sent to me.

“I am also happy to publish or give to the cabinet secretary the PM/Dyson messages that I do have, which concerned ventilators, bureaucracy and Covid policy – not tax issues.”

Cummings also addressed reports suggesting he had been the serial leaker known as the “chatty rat”, who had also allegedly leaked news of another Covid lockdown last autumn.

In perhaps the most potentially devastating allegation in his blogpost, Cummings claimed that in a meeting after the leak, the cabinet secretary, Simon Case, told him and Johnson that “all the evidence” pointed to Henry Newman, then an adviser at the Cabinet Office, who has since moved to No 10. Newman is known to be close to Carrie Symonds, Johnson’s fiancee, seen as a key figure in Cummings’ removal from his job.

Cummings wrote: “The PM was very upset about this. He said to me afterwards: ‘If Newman is confirmed as the leaker, then I will have to fire him, and this will cause me very serious problems with Carrie as they’re best friends … [pause] Perhaps we could get the cabinet secretary to stop the leak inquiry?’

“I told him that this was ‘mad’ and totally unethical, that he had ordered the inquiry himself and authorised the cabinet secretary to use more invasive methods than are usually applied to leak inquiries because of the seriousness of the leak. I told him that he could not possibly cancel an inquiry about a leak that affected millions of people just because it might implicate his girlfriend’s friends.”

Cummings did not give any further explanation of what he meant by the “more invasive methods”, or whether they had been used.

He said he had warned some officials about Johnson’s plans, and that they would give evidence under oath to an inquiry, adding: “I also have WhatsApp messages with very senior officials about this matter which are definitive.”

Finally, Cummings said he had warned Johnson about renovations to his Downing Street flat costing a reported £58,000, for which the prime minister had allegedly sought outside funding from Conservative supporters.

He wrote: “I told him I thought his plans to have donors secretly pay for the renovation were unethical, foolish, possibly illegal and almost certainly broke the rules on proper disclosure of political donations if conducted in the way he intended… I refused to help him organise these payments.”

Cummings said Johnson had stopped speaking to him about the issue in 2020 after he said this, adding: “I would be happy to tell the cabinet secretary or Electoral Commission what I know concerning this matter.”

He also accused the new head of communications at Downing Street, Jack Doyle, of having given the briefing to newspapers on Thursday.

Earlier, the government sought to close down the renovations controversy by releasing a statement saying no outside finance had been involved.

The statement, released late on Friday by a Cabinet Office minister, Nicholas True, revealed that contractors had been brought in to paint, sand and refresh floorboards. But Lord True added: “Any costs of wider refurbishment in this year have been met by the prime minister personally.”

Cummings said the issues needed to be handled by “an urgent parliamentary inquiry into the government’s conduct over the Covid crisis”.

He concluded: “Issues concerning Covid and/or the PM’s conduct should not be handled as No 10 has handled them over the past 24 hours. I will cooperate fully with any such inquiry and am happy to give evidence under oath.”

Downing Street has been contacted for comment.

Angela Rayner, Labour’s deputy leader, said the government had “spent the last 24 hours lurching between cover-ups and cock-ups”. She added: “The Conservatives are fighting each other like rats in a sack and slipping deeper and deeper into the mire of sleaze. It shows breathtaking contempt for the country.”

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sure this blogpost will being the tories down

I mean it is cummings so anything could happen

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I don't see it making a deal of difference: Boris's substantial support base already see him as a clownish, self-enriching chancer and they rather like that.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

when you have cummings saying “come on now mate, even i think that’s a bit sus”, you know you’ve got a problem

also lol that boris’s misses is up in it too

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Reads like cummings may have been in a polycule with the pm imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1385646680003993601?s=19

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/kwilliam111/status/1385589449522810880?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I don't see it making a deal of difference: Boris's substantial support base already see him as a clownish, self-enriching chancer and they rather like that.

I find Boris' poublic image crazy. You look at his history and it's all pretty loving dodgy including what he's doing now, but he's so good at playing the clown no one thinks about it really.
Even my sister, despite us living in one of the safest Labour seats said "I quite like Boris, he's funny shame he's a tory". Similar to Trump I think Boris has realised to your average person having good policies means gently caress all when you can have a big personality and stand out.
I really think Starmer's biggest weakness (of many) is that he's incredibly dull and boring. Love him or hate him Corbyn had people opinionated on him. Your average person has probably only briefly heard about Starmer.