Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Are there any wrestlers you think look like another person? I've just remembered Static X and Wayne Static (RIP) and I cannot unsee Matt Hardy.

Greg Valentine looks like Ric Flair’s angry lesbian sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Eat My Fuc posted:

drat that sounds good
The one thing that bugged me about the Final/Fatal Four match was that they changed the rules shortly before the show to include over-the-top eliminations, along with the originally announced pinfalls/submissions. And then I think every elimination in the actual match ended up being over-the-top. At the time it felt like a cop-out (I guess they wanted to protect Undertaker more going into WM13?) but at least it made thematic sense, since the match was essentially a do-over of the Rumble finals in kayfabe.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Are there any wrestlers you think look like another person? I've just remembered Static X and Wayne Static (RIP) and I cannot unsee Matt Hardy.
This isn't a joke about his recent baldness, but Shawn Michaels reminds me of Bruce Willis in a weird way. Not like directly in the face, but in a lot of his facial expressions and mannerisms.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Aaron Solow looks like a young Kirk Hammett

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Are there any wrestlers you think look like another person?

There is a fake Juvie who turns up on AEW B-Shows. A juvie Juvie, if you will.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Royal Updog posted:

There is a fake Juvie who turns up on AEW B-Shows. A juvie Juvie, if you will.

If you're talking about Vary Morales, he sort of looks like Juvi going through a Criss Angel phase.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

sticklefifer posted:

If you're talking about Vary Morales, he sort of looks like Juvi going through a Criss Angel phase.

manifesting neck tattoos onto fools from 20 paces MIND FREAK

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Shibata looks a lot like Mac from Always Sunny

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When I was a kid and Scott Hall had a brief run in the NWA with blonde hair and a moustache I had a hard time telling him apart from Magnum TA

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
It took me longer than it should have to realize Stu Grayson and Brandon Cutler were different people. I think I would just see the head stripes and not think any further. Also Darby Allen looks like a more angsty Jesse Pinkman.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Daffney looks a bit like Sarah Palin.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Did any wrestling promotion ever have a one-time special-themed episode on network tv that was in primetime? I know Saturday nights Main event is kind of like that but I am more looking for a one-time very special episode of wrestling like they would do with old sitcoms.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

jase1 posted:

Did any wrestling promotion ever have a one-time special-themed episode on network tv that was in primetime? I know Saturday nights Main event is kind of like that but I am more looking for a one-time very special episode of wrestling like they would do with old sitcoms.

WWF had the WrestleMania special on Fox in 1995-ish where they showed a couple of matches from the PPV. One of them was Bam Bam Bigelow and Lawrence Taylor.

WCW had the Clashes on TBS and, before then, a few SuperTowns on the SuperStation. Many, many moons later, Turner South had a special something, a little mini-angle between Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes that featured some old clips and teased a match. That was a regional channel, though, and may not have been primetime. I think it was right after WCW shut down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jase1 posted:

WCW and NBC were in negotiations for a series of specials during the NBA Strike in 99 but negotiations got held up and then the strike ended. First event was going to be from the MGM Grand.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nick Jr. Face posted:

When I was a kid and Scott Hall had a brief run in the NWA with blonde hair and a moustache I had a hard time telling him apart from Magnum TA

In other territories Hall was sometimes billed as "Magnum" Scott Hall :ssh:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Vader vs Flair from Starrcade

To get the full enjoyment out of this match, you have to watch the clips of Flair saying goodbye to his family, and riding with Okerlund in a limo to the arena. I remember the VHS of the PPV had all of it packed in.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I swear I remember Edge & Christian having a finisher where they would do a superplex but Christian would be perched on Edge's shoulders, but I can't find a vid of them doing this move.

Am I remembering wrong, or did they really have that finisher before?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Red posted:

To get the full enjoyment out of this match, you have to watch the clips of Flair saying goodbye to his family, and riding with Okerlund in a limo to the arena. I remember the VHS of the PPV had all of it packed in.

There was no other thing to think aside from that this man was going to his death.

In case someone hasn't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrN-nz5C6nI

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Greg Valentine looks like Ric Flair’s angry lesbian sister.

My wife perfectly described Terry Gordy as "Meat Loaf's brother."

Kosmo Gallion posted:

For years I thought Earthquake was the guy from the Beastie Boys video bustin' in an yelling, "WHAT'S THAT NOISE?!"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

anakha posted:

I swear I remember Edge & Christian having a finisher where they would do a superplex but Christian would be perched on Edge's shoulders, but I can't find a vid of them doing this move.

Am I remembering wrong, or did they really have that finisher before?

You're remembering correctly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuJcnNqbTOE&t=511s

(timestamped to 8:11 if the embed doesn't start there)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

MassRafTer posted:

WCW and NBC were in negotiations for a series of specials during the NBA Strike in 99 but negotiations got held up and then the strike ended. First event was going to be from the MGM Grand.

I think WCW was supposed to have a one-off NYE special that ended with a KISS concert before Bischoff got fired.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What were the reasons WWE booked Big Show and Akebono into a sumo match at Wrestlemania 21?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Asteroid Alert posted:

What were the reasons WWE booked Big Show and Akebono into a sumo match at Wrestlemania 21?

Publicity. Akebono is, not unlike Tom Waits, big in Japan.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Technically he’s big everywhere

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Asteroid Alert posted:

they figured the cost of bringing him in was less than the number of buys having him attached to WM would do

comedy answer: Vince probably figured Show could beat him, and it'd be a huge story where a WWF guy out-sumoed a legit yokozuna

real answer: Vince thought Show in a sumo outfit was hilarious and it happened to be Wrestlemania season at the time

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

oldpainless posted:

Technically he’s big everywhere

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Whatever happened to that Big Show/Shaq match? I heard it got bumped but did it really or was it never actually going to happen?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Whatever happened to that Big Show/Shaq match? I heard it got bumped but did it really or was it never actually going to happen?

Given somewhat recent events it could still happen at some point.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Somebody explain the nelson hold to me. A full nelson is under the arms and hands on the neck. A quarter nelson is a single hand on the back of the neck. A half nelson is half a full nelson. Why is a three quarter nelson a cutter-type hold?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Somebody explain the nelson hold to me. A full nelson is under the arms and hands on the neck. A quarter nelson is a single hand on the back of the neck. A half nelson is half a full nelson. Why is a three quarter nelson a cutter-type hold?

https://twitter.com/CatchWrestling/status/1002709279462379526

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I think Shaq got injured and they never got around to rescheduling it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's really interesting to me the way some silly holds (like the Indian deathlock) have an actual functional version in catch wrestling or other grappling styles.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I seem to recall that Big Show checked in on Shaq down the line and he wasn't really on his way towards ring shape. Shaq apparently didn't think WWE was going to go through with the match or wasn't happy with their lack of contact and just stopped caring.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gavok posted:

I seem to recall that Big Show checked in on Shaq down the line and he wasn't really on his way towards ring shape. Shaq apparently didn't think WWE was going to go through with the match or wasn't happy with their lack of contact and just stopped caring.

Why did Sting and WWE split up? Was it just over not clearing Sting to work?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

WWE basically hosed around in negotiations and blamed it on Shaq.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Halloween Jack posted:

It's really interesting to me the way some silly holds (like the Indian deathlock) have an actual functional version in catch wrestling or other grappling styles.
What's the shoot Indian Deathlock?

But yeah, it happens. The figure four leglock hurts like hell, but nobody does it in a shoot setting because applying it is so onerous. You can find some videos showing potential BJJ entries for it, though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Red posted:

Why did Sting and WWE split up? Was it just over not clearing Sting to work?

i mean they also brought him in purely to use him as an effigy of killing WCW once and for all

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

davidbix posted:

What's the shoot Indian Deathlock?

But yeah, it happens. The figure four leglock hurts like hell, but nobody does it in a shoot setting because applying it is so onerous. You can find some videos showing potential BJJ entries for it, though.

i'm glad that there are combat sport versions of the "street fighter 4 m bison isn't that bad you guys dont know how to use him" guy

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What killed shoot-style in Japan? The availability of MMA?

e: I'm going through the PRIDE FC history book and while it covers the rise of shoot-style it glosses over what happens to it once PRIDE starts. I know Pancrase and RINGS turned into actual MMA promotions but what about the others?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 24, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

John Cena is Matt Damon trapped in a room with nothing but weights and HGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TTBF posted:

What killed shoot-style in Japan? The availability of MMA?

e: I'm going through the PRIDE FC history book and while it covers the rise of shoot-style it glosses over what happens to it once PRIDE starts. I know Pancrase and RINGS turned into actual MMA promotions but what about the others?

Basically yeah, but more to the point, the Inoki lineage of wrestling that runs through Maeda to Rings, Takada to UWF-I & Kingdom, Fujiwara to PWFG & Pancrase & Battlarts got a lot of appeal from the idea that these guys weren't just tough guys but elite fighters.

So when Yoji Anjo runs to pick a fight with Rickson Gracie & gets his rear end whooped in the dojo, I think with photographers in tow, that hurts. And Takada going from the star of UWFI & Kingdom to getting made a fool of by Rickson Gracie twice & Mark Kerr & Igor Vovchanchyn & Royce Gracie really burst the bubble.

Which sucks because shoot style is tremendous fun