Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

NovemberMike posted:

The answer here is actually pretty simple. People are gaslighting and the natural reaction to gaslighting is to confront it and disagree. If you said the sky was yellow people would disagree. That doesn't mean they're fervently defending the idea that the sky is blue, they're just defending their sense of reality. If you stopped gaslighting people (and I mean that in the literal abusive sense) then people would stop defending the cops here.

There are reasonable points that you can make about the foster care system or the fact that the cop's first reaction was to pull a gun but when you start trying to criticize the ultimate actions of the police here it just gets crazy. You're either going into a fantasy land where someone can perfectly assess a complex situation in 5 seconds and then act like a movie character or police need to be willing to die rather than ever allow another to be injured (this is contrary to all first responder training, not just police) or you're just saying that you're ok with the girl in pink being stabbed to death. None of these are good faith arguments.

This situation is sad and there wasn't a good outcome but the officer didn't have a good outcome to choose from. The critical decisions that generated the situation were out of his control and he had to choose between bad outcomes. It's ok to say that the situation with George Floyd or hundreds of other people were unjustifiable but that this situation was justifiable (but still bad).

This is a good summary of my feelings.

If you want to see my ~biases~, here's my first reaction to finding out about the shooting, where one of my friends tells me about it while we're discussing the George Floyd Conviction.

quote:

Voyager I — 04/20/2021
Guilty on all counts, remanded directly to custody.

__________ — 04/20/2021
Yep saw it live
Lotta hootin and hollerin here now

Voyager I — 04/20/2021
Hooray
Kinda

__________ — 04/20/2021
it's good for the community, it was the right judgement, but so much more work needs to be done
i reread the statement that mpd put out when it first happened
and you see how that looks and it's like "there are a shitload of george floyds out there that never had a camera on them"

Voyager I — 04/20/2021
Yeah
Like, it's good that this one cop is facing justice, or at least something reasonably close to it

__________ — 04/20/2021
we currently have another killer cop that just got arrested after a long week of protesting
plus we have the chicago shooting
breonna taylor still doesn't have justice

Voyager I — 04/20/2021
Yep :(

__________ — 04/20/2021
looooooots of work out there but we can have one night :slight_smile:
https://twitter.com/RadioFlav/status/1384627941804494848

#RadioFlav CPD Scanner (@RadioFlav)
.@ColumbusPolice just killed a 15 year old girl by shooting her in the chest multiple times https://t.co/s8RNII7dlS

Twitter•04/20/2021
that didn't take the pigs long

Voyager I — 04/20/2021
What the gently caress

The conversation ends there because I was at a loss for words at the presumed barbarism on the part of the police. My gut reaction was coming here to grab a pitchfork, only to discover that the facts of the situation were significantly more complicated than I had initially assumed. It was only after learning more that my position moved from "gently caress The Police" to "gently caress, what a mess :smith:"

At no point was I ever assuming that she must have deserved it, nor will I ever say that she deserved to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Other countries use warning shots to positive effect.

https://www.dw.com/en/when-are-german-police-allowed-to-use-guns/a-53826205

And again they're becoming recommended policy for US police departments. You can argue if this officer in this situation could take a warning shot but they are used in places and they do work. No one's disagreeing that they can be dangerous but they can also be less dangerous than any other option. And they work, they scare the poo poo out of people. That shock does work.

The article you posted doesn't say that there is any positive effect to Germans using warning shots, just that some German states mandate them. And the two knife wielding people the German police did shoot died anyway.

And for people talking about leg shots, tell me where in the leg is a good place to shoot someone that won't kill them or cripple them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qcJKhc4jJU&t=66s

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Voyager I posted:

This is a good summary of my feelings.

If you want to see my ~biases~, here's my first reaction to finding out about the shooting, where one of my friends tells me about it while we're discussing the George Floyd Conviction.

The conversation ends there because I was at a loss for words at the presumed barbarism on the part of the police. My gut reaction was coming here to grab a pitchfork, only to discover that the facts of the situation were significantly more complicated than I had initially assumed. It was only after learning more that my position moved from "gently caress The Police" to "gently caress, what a mess :smith:"

At no point was I ever assuming that she must have deserved it, nor will I ever say that she deserved to die.

Yeah, that's exactly it. She was 16. Clearly she didn't deserve to die. This was a horrible outcome regardless of the circumstances. I do think, however, there's a very high probability that no one outright committed the criminal act of manslaughter or murder, but a bunch of people each did a few things that led to this child's death.

It's horrific, and anyone who says she deserved to die can go gently caress themselves, but life isn't clear cut. I keep comparing this to a plane crash investigation because I honestly think it's very similar: someone died, and chances are good they absolutely did not deserve it on any level, regardless of any one action on their part which may have been a serious mistake, or on any other person's part. There were many factors that led to this situation, and all of them need to be investigated and addressed, because we can't simply accept this outcome. We cannot accept that a 16-year-old is dead over a trivial dispute; this should be, and is, hateful to us. But that doesn't mean anyone is singularly responsible for Ma'Khia's death. If there were actions by other people that resulted in the situation where the officer felt he had no choice but to use deadly force, they bear responsibility as well.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, that's exactly it. She was 16. Clearly she didn't deserve to die. This was a horrible outcome regardless of the circumstances. I do think, however, there's a very high probability that no one outright committed the criminal act of manslaughter or murder, but a bunch of people each did a few things that led to this child's death.

It's horrific, and anyone who says she deserved to die can go gently caress themselves, but life isn't clear cut. I keep comparing this to a plane crash investigation because I honestly think it's very similar: someone died, and chances are good they absolutely did not deserve it on any level, regardless of any one action on their part which may have been a serious mistake, or on any other person's part. There were many factors that led to this situation, and all of them need to be investigated and addressed, because we can't simply accept this outcome. We cannot accept that a 16-year-old is dead over a trivial dispute; this should be, and is, hateful to us. But that doesn't mean anyone is singularly responsible for Ma'Khia's death. If there were actions by other people that resulted in the situation where the officer felt he had no choice but to use deadly force, they bear responsibility as well.

I think this is a reasonable read of the situation.

It’s a loving tragedy all around and one where there is no righteous anger to be found. Just sadness. Sadness that a 15 year old kid is dead. Sadness that that 15 year old kid tried to kill someone. Sadness that she was failed by her parents, the system at large and the police.

I get everybody twisting into knots to see it how they want to see it because fundamental injustice and unfairness like this just can’t exist, right? There has to be a bad guy. Somebody responsible.

Sometimes poo poo is just hosed and to me, that seems to 100% be the case.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Folks should ask themselves this: what good does it do to let everyone ITT know that you think the cop made the right decision, and to argue fervently for that opinion? You may think it's just posting on a dying comedy forum, but ideas have a funny way of propagating on the internet.

Folks should also ask themselves why their worldview is so fragile that even one instance that doesn’t confirm it feels so threatening that their only answer is dissembling, silencing, and changing or ignoring facts.

It’s like getting mad at the news for reporting a cold snap because people might think global warming isn’t real.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Booourns posted:

Quote those people and explain how their posts are "copaganda" please

Anyone who is posting that the officer had no choice but to shoot for x y or z is engaging in copaganda by implying that the events that "forced" the shooting were somehow preordained.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sedisp posted:

Anyone who is posting that the officer had no choice but to shoot for x y or z is engaging in copaganda by implying that the events that "forced" the shooting were somehow preordained.

No one is taking about predestination. You should argue with what people in this thread are saying instead of building strawmen.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fister Roboto posted:

I could say the same thing, that the folks on the other side of the issue are starting from the assumption that if a cop shoots someone then it must be for a good reason, and working backwards from there to justify it.

And if you did that that means you haven't paid any attention to anyone or what they've posted. Everyone seems to be on the same level "on the other side" that it's a tragedy, but it was justified given the circumstances.

Fister Roboto posted:

Folks should ask themselves this: what good does it do to let everyone ITT know that you think the cop made the right decision, and to argue fervently for that opinion? You may think it's just posting on a dying comedy forum, but ideas have a funny way of propagating on the internet.

Uh, because at the time Bryant escalated the conflict to violence and was lunging at someone with a knife. Whether she killed pink or not, this is a use of lethal force that the police had a matter of seconds to assess and stop.
I don't get this "Knife might not kill" bullshit so shooting her was wrong. So the gently caress what? Shooting her might not kill her either, so that must be ok too, right?

Paracaidas posted:

Greyjoy, or any of the other readers with the sanity to not subject themselves to video of a child being killed, could very easily read a post stating that

And this is a large part of the problem. People don't watch it and they get the wrong gist from people describing it. I watched the news version of the body cam in the other thread. It doesn't show her being shot, it stops just before then. But you see how chaotic things were and how absolutely impossible it was to really do anything but what happened.

And you don't need to be all smug about not watching it either like the rest of us are some bloodlusting bastards craving for teen death

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 25, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No one is taking about predestination. You should argue with what people in this thread are saying instead of building strawmen.

Im pretty sure the post states that by ignoring the events preceding the killing they are implying predestination.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Part of me isn't able to get past watching a girl die to focus on the systemic failures that built the groundwork for the events that unfolded.

I don't understand why Bryant tried to stab Pink, regardless of whether or not she was aware the police were there. Didn't I read Bryant had been the one who called 911 saying she (Bryant) had been threatened with a knife?

Edit: went and looked it up, the first 911 call apparently did say someone was trying to stab people, and it's not clear who called?

"In that call at 4:32 p.m. Tuesday, screaming can be heard as the caller asks police to come and says someone is trying to stab them. The police dispatcher tries to get more information and there is screaming before the call is disconnected.

A second 911 call, placed around 4:48 p.m., resulted in the caller hanging up after seeing a police cruiser on the scene."

Then:

"There were multiple people in the driveway of the home and the video shows Bryant with a knife in hand and making movement toward another young woman, who falls backwards to the ground at the officer's feet.

Bryant then turns and moves toward another young woman, who is up against the hood of a sedan parked in the driveway. The video shows Bryant holding the knife and moving it in a motion that appears to be an attempt to swing the knife at the young woman's upper body. "

This seems to line up with the security camera footage from across the street.

I just think she didn't register the presence of police, because *any* young minority person must know waving a knife around in front of police is going to get you shot. From what I've read, the officer never said/shouted "police". She probably had no idea. :(

(I am not waving away the fact that threatening someone with a knife is illegal, but she was a *child*.)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The cops can still be bad, the system can still fail and a cop can be justified in their use of force to keep someone from being stabbed. This whole thing loving sucks.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

tehinternet posted:

The cops can still be bad, the system can still fail and a cop can be justified in their use of force to keep someone from being stabbed. This whole thing loving sucks.

Everything about it is truly awful.

The problem with trying to frame this one as a cop on a homicidal rampage is it damages the credibility of the current efforts to genuinely reform cops and eliminate the number of Chauvin's they have in their ranks. If anybody wants to highlight murderous american cops killing people for no reason there's tragically no shortage of available incidents and footage. This isn't one of them though it's just a total mess.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Sedisp posted:

This implication does not follow. The events don't have to be preordained to force the shooting, they just have to exist.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rust Martialis posted:

Part of me isn't able to get past watching a girl die to focus on the systemic failures that built the groundwork for the events that unfolded.

I don't understand why Bryant tried to stab Pink, regardless of whether or not she was aware the police were there. Didn't I read Bryant had been the one who called 911 saying she (Bryant) had been threatened with a knife?

Edit: went and looked it up, the first 911 call apparently did say someone was trying to stab people, and it's not clear who called?

"In that call at 4:32 p.m. Tuesday, screaming can be heard as the caller asks police to come and says someone is trying to stab them. The police dispatcher tries to get more information and there is screaming before the call is disconnected.

A second 911 call, placed around 4:48 p.m., resulted in the caller hanging up after seeing a police cruiser on the scene."

Then:

"There were multiple people in the driveway of the home and the video shows Bryant with a knife in hand and making movement toward another young woman, who falls backwards to the ground at the officer's feet.

Bryant then turns and moves toward another young woman, who is up against the hood of a sedan parked in the driveway. The video shows Bryant holding the knife and moving it in a motion that appears to be an attempt to swing the knife at the young woman's upper body. "

This seems to line up with the security camera footage from across the street.

I just think she didn't register the presence of police, because *any* young minority person must know waving a knife around in front of police is going to get you shot. From what I've read, the officer never said/shouted "police". She probably had no idea. :(

(I am not waving away the fact that threatening someone with a knife is illegal, but she was a *child*.)

To answer why she tried. Idk. She was a 16 year old kid who was probably mad as gently caress and wasn’t thinking. Teens are like that for a billion reasons. I am sure the foster system didn’t help her at all and the foster dad doing what he did shows how that house apparently likes to end conflicts. So she had all that awful poo poo bouncing around her brain. Also, until proven otherwise. I don’t think ma’khia called the cops, I think it was pink girl or other girl who got kicked. Obviously either way she didn’t deserve to die. At this point I sorta want the dad investigated somewhat though.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
The U.S. Coast Guard is able to effectively employ warning shots while acting in a civilian U.S. law enforcement capacity.

https://youtu.be/S19Bx5eftnU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

AvesPKS posted:

The U.S. Coast Guard is able to effectively employ warning shots while acting in a civilian U.S. law enforcement capacity.

At sea at a downward angle you are spoiled for choice about where to put a completely harmless warning shot. People milling about in a residential area is about as far from that as you can possibly get. The coastguard in that video are also not operating in a time window of a few seconds, they position the helicopter for the shots and very carefully take their time.

Not even remotely comparable with what happened.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Sedisp posted:

Im pretty sure the post states that by ignoring the events preceding the killing they are implying predestination.

Can you back up and go through this step by step because this seems really stupid to me.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

AvesPKS posted:

Those shots, just like the ones described earlier ITT used by the US army against cars at a roadblock, are not used against a target that poses an imminent threat. Using the second he had to respond to the threat, the cop went with the option that would clearly end it instead of one that had greater risk of the girl in pink getting stabbed.

I'm still curious about who actually called the police (initial talk of Ma'Khia being the caller is unconfirmed, as far as I can tell) and what on earth is going on with the guy trying to kick that other girl's head off.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
In the discussion about warning shots and leg shots, I think its illuminating to look at the differing priorities. The way gun usage is taught in the US the absolute number one priority, trumping every other one, is elimination of threat. A secondary objective is the safety of bystanders. This is why you are not supposed to fire warning shots but you can see that this is secondary because firing multiple shots (until the threat is eliminated) in many situations hightens the risk for bystanders to get hit. The life of the person being shot at has no priority at all and I think this is demonstrated by the numbers.
Now in the "European approach" (just for brevity, there is of course no unifed approach but some tendencies can be seen). The priorities are much more balanced towards bystanders and particular towards the target. A higher risk for bystanders is deemed acceptable if this lowers the risk of having to shoot at anyone (warning shots). A higher risk for the shooter (or a victim of an attack) is deemed acceptable for a lower risk of killing the target (leg shots). And so on.

The important thing is that there is no way to argue which approach is better a priori, which is what essentially all arguments for the US approach do. You need to see how it actually works out in practice.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

None of the departments actually want to adopt it because they're cowboys who want to shoot the bad guy instead of using de-escalation.

Yeah this is the problem and this is why I don't believe in "one weird trick" solutions to police brutality like tasers and warning shots and leg shots etc.

The problem is all of police training and culture is built around them being movie action heroes and counterinsurgency forces fighting a hostile occupied population. And that's not going to change until cities and states dismantle the existing system and rebuild it along entirely different lines.

Cops aren't going to fire warning shots instead of rolling up and shooting people, because if they wanted to nonviolently de-escalate they wouldn't be using their guns as all-purpose problem solvers. They'll treat warning shots like they treat tasers: never a substitute for lethal force, just a new toy to escalate situations that even they know don't call for lethal force, and of course as a courtroom defense when they "accidentally" shoot someone

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Lots of wild posting about posters( "this must be bad faith" "everyone disagreeing us is gaslighting" "No Dad, YOU'RE working backwards from your conclusion!") ITT. gently caress off with that poo poo.

Rust Martialis posted:

I don't understand why Bryant tried to stab Pink, regardless of whether or not she was aware the police were there.

I think this really speaks to one of the fundamental disagreements at play here. When we don't know everything leading up to why she was doing this, it seems to me unreasonable and unfair to assume that the dead child was definitely intending to murder the other person (alternate option as a single example, making scary threats to someone who had been bullying her) even setting aside the probability of success. We don't know that she was actually trying to stab her, we know it looks that way in the images that will surely be shared again to show that it looks that way probably with accusations of not watching, and if she was we don't know why. We don't know that it wasn't a legitimate response to unknown events happening prior. So the cop is getting the benefit of the doubt that in the split second we see he made the only available choice, while the dead child is framed as a wild murderer.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 25, 2021

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

true.spoon posted:

In the discussion about warning shots and leg shots, I think its illuminating to look at the differing priorities. The way gun usage is taught in the US the absolute number one priority, trumping every other one, is elimination of threat. A secondary objective is the safety of bystanders. This is why you are not supposed to fire warning shots but you can see that this is secondary because firing multiple shots (until the threat is eliminated) in many situations hightens the risk for bystanders to get hit. The life of the person being shot at has no priority at all and I think this is demonstrated by the numbers.
Now in the "European approach" (just for brevity, there is of course no unifed approach but some tendencies can be seen). The priorities are much more balanced towards bystanders and particular towards the target. A higher risk for bystanders is deemed acceptable if this lowers the risk of having to shoot at anyone (warning shots). A higher risk for the shooter (or a victim of an attack) is deemed acceptable for a lower risk of killing the target (leg shots). And so on.

The important thing is that there is no way to argue which approach is better a priori, which is what essentially all arguments for the US approach do. You need to see how it actually works out in practice.

There are more guns in America than there are people. That has a huge impact on how the cops there operate.

European cops also tend to shoot people who pose an immediate threat to others by for example attacking them with a knife.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
It seems like a lot of folks in this thread can't imagine a society where poo poo like this doesn't happen. Of course where we are now that cop kills Ma'Khia Bryant and that's a normal expected outcome, a tragedy but what can ya do? A real no win situation.

This didn't have to happen and it doesn't have to keep happening. It will as long as the scope of the conversation is so short sighted on reforming the police. Changing their tactics, and all the nit picky small fry poo poo that doesn't address that the goal of policing is to maintain the status quo of a permanent docile, exploitable underclass and protect property. Like instead of goons with guns rolling up what if it was medics trained to defuse situations and restrain people without causing harm. Imagine that instant fear flight/fight response from seeing a cop coming toward(or even just knowing they're coming) you was gone. Maybe a kid would get stabbed and receive immediate medical attention. Maybe before she got stabbed someone would have nabbed Ma'Khia when she was literally at the feet of a cop drawing his gun. But probably this whole loving situation wouldn't have happened in the first place because we scrapped the loving systems causing and perpetuating this violence and instead invested in poo poo that actually helps people.

What do you guys think the odds are that he hits the girl in pink when he's shooting Ma'Khia? Would it change your position if he had killed them both? I'll take getting stabbed over someone trying to shoot my assailant while in a melee every time.

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Everything about it is truly awful.

The problem with trying to frame this one as a cop on a homicidal rampage is it damages the credibility of the current efforts to genuinely reform cops and eliminate the number of Chauvin's they have in their ranks. If anybody wants to highlight murderous american cops killing people for no reason there's tragically no shortage of available incidents and footage. This isn't one of them though it's just a total mess.

All our police 'reform' in the last hundred years has resulted in what we have now, it doesn't work. It's not a few bad apples, the system of policing is corrupt and oppressive and its goals do not align with public safety or health. You really don't see the contradiction in the solution to the plethora of incidents and footage of cops killing people for no reason is "eliminating the number of Chauvins they have in their ranks"?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Lots of wild posting about posters( "this must be bad faith" "everyone disagreeing us is gaslighting" "No Dad, YOU'RE working backwards from your conclusion!") ITT. gently caress off with that poo poo.

it seems to me unreasonable and unfair to assume that the dead child was definitely intending to murder the other person (alternate option as a single example, making scary threats to someone who had been bullying her) even setting aside the probability of success. We don't know that she was actually trying to stab her, we know it looks that way in the images that will surely be shared again to show that it looks that way probably with accusations of not watching, and if she was we don't know why. We don't know that it wasn't a legitimate response to unknown events happening prior. So the cop is getting the benefit of the doubt that in the split second we see he made the only available choice, while the dead child is framed as a wild murderer.

First: What would be an intent to stab that you would accept as an intent to do so, if not the knife-next-to-face freeze frame? Is there any possible condition of pre-stabbing that you will accept as so, before it does become a stabbing?

Second, you seem very fixated on "the cop getting the benefit of the doubt", when it's been said in this situation that this benefit of doubt, and the act of self defence isn't something the cop did on his own. It's what the girl in pink would like to do, but lacked the means to do so, and if the bystander would be a not-cop, for example the father of pink girl, the shooting would still be justified. Regardless of the person holding the gun, the act was the girl in pink being in immediate danger, and herself included, every reasonable person assuming that her life is in danger.

Because if the freeze frame you don't want to see is not a cause enough for every reasonable person to believe that death or serious injury is imminent, then there is no room for lawful and moral self-defence before the injury or death is already caused. And if that's your stance, that's fine.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 25, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Wastid posted:

All our police 'reform' in the last hundred years has resulted in what we have now, it doesn't work. It's not a few bad apples, the system of policing is corrupt and oppressive and its goals do not align with public safety or health. You really don't see the contradiction in the solution to the plethora of incidents and footage of cops killing people for no reason is "eliminating the number of Chauvins they have in their ranks"?

I have no idea who you are talking to. Could it be that the person you are talking about and building these points against does not exist?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Harold Fjord posted:

I think this really speaks to one of the fundamental disagreements at play here. When we don't know everything leading up to why she was doing this, it seems to me unreasonable and unfair to assume that the dead child was definitely intending to murder the other person (alternate option as a single example, making scary threats to someone who had been bullying her) even setting aside the probability of success. We don't know that she was actually trying to stab her, we know it looks that way in the images that will surely be shared again to show that it looks that way probably with accusations of not watching, and if she was we don't know why. We don't know that it wasn't a legitimate response to unknown events happening prior. So the cop is getting the benefit of the doubt that in the split second we see he made the only available choice, while the dead child is framed as a wild murderer.

I don't know why you keep trying to claim that Bryant might not have been trying to stab anyone. Both people who got attacked said this to the officers when they were splitting up witnesses after this occurred. Unless you think they were also mis-reading the situation or lying about it.

Since you didn't respond to me last time you made this claim, I'll requote myself here:

Kalit posted:

Would you be convinced that was her intention if the two people who Bryant went after said she was trying to go after/stab them? You can hear that in the bodycam footage released yesterday here, the first person starting at 9:53 and the second person at 11:55. Sorry for not including a specific link to these times, but I tried doing that yesterday for another poster and the content warning at the start of this video broke it.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 25, 2021

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

quote:

Why does any of this matter, regarding the cop?

As for giving benefit of the doubt, it's hard to take you seriously when you are not only ignoring reality when you say that we don't know if she was trying to stab her, but then almost dismissing it when saying she might have.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Harold Fjord posted:

The cop couldn't know what intent was in her heart, but was forced to decide based on the information available at the time that we can all clearly see in the video: Ma'Khia appeared to be milliseconds away from stabbing with a knife someone who posed zero threat to her. Knives are deadly weapons and any attack might have been lethal, regardless of whether she harbored murderous intent. The wellbeing of the imminent victim must be the priority.

It maddens me that folks are going so far as to victim blame the girl in pink, saying "oh, well, maybe she was a contemptible bully", just to cling desperately to their narrative.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Wastid posted:

All our police 'reform' in the last hundred years has resulted in what we have now, it doesn't work. It's not a few bad apples, the system of policing is corrupt and oppressive and its goals do not align with public safety or health.

I agree that they are completely rotten from the top down, their culture training and attitude are all terrible. The problem is you can't get rid of them and start over as you'd just get a shitload of local heavily armed militia's instantly take over. You need something to hold things together while you get your poo poo together and that something unfortunately is working with what you already have.

They are no better over here, just less heavily armed as we don't have a gun culture.

Wastid posted:

You really don't see the contradiction in the solution to the plethora of incidents and footage of cops killing people for no reason is "eliminating the number of Chauvins they have in their ranks"?

I see backwards violent racists finally being held to account (sometimes and not often enough) because the public are risking their lives by filming them. I also saw the cops go way overboard deliberately targeting the press since Floyd was murdered because they really really hate being held to account and can't operate in a system where their lies get immediately exposed.

None of that means the specific incident we are discussing here was murder by cop though. Nobody needs to exaggerate this dreadfully real issue, plenty of genuine examples.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

There are more guns in America than there are people. That has a huge impact on how the cops there operate.
What I said is not only applicable to cops but forms the basis of "safe" gun usage in the US.

quote:

European cops also tend to shoot people who pose an immediate threat to others by for example attacking them with a knife.
Yes and they tend to shoot them not as many times and not necessarily in the center of mass. If that would have been a good idea in this specific case is more or less impossible to determine. But it could be a good idea in general.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Reardon saved a kid and also possibly a dog.
Lives that may have been saved without killing Ma'Khia had Reardon actually done what you falsely claim he did.

Do you have a source on the age for the person Ma'Khia had up against the car?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

SocketWrench posted:

But you see how chaotic things were and how absolutely impossible it was to really do anything but what happened.
Couldn't have asked for a better followup to your post, Radish!

This thread has become challenging to post in, in part because nuance keeps getting stripped. In some ways, this is understandable given the subject is the killing of a child. In others, it's unforgivable when the subject is the killing of a child.

Reardon made a number of choices in the 10 seconds between exiting his car and killing Ma'Khia. At the end of those 10 seconds, Ma'Khia had the woman in pink up against the car (as we've seen in the screenshots posted throughout the thread) and would likely have inflicted serious harm and possibly killed her if she was allowed to continue.

I, like some others in this thread, am more focused on seconds 0 through 9 than I am on the 10th second. SocketWrench believes that it'd have been absolutely impossible for Reardon to have done anything other than kill Ma'Khia. I discuss why I disagree in my reply to Terebus, who made similar arguments. In brief:
  • Reardon kills Ma'Khia without identifying himself as police. Given the reports that Ma'Khia made the first 911 call, I feel it's reasonable to believe things could have gone differently had she been aware the police had arrived.
  • Reardon, having heard the 911 audio (per the video), knows he is arriving at a scene where someone is threatening others with a knife. He makes no attempt to find out who has the knife, learning it as he sees Ma'Khia with the knife as she atracks others. Had the knife been his first inquiry upon arrival instead of "what's going on", he may have had more information and more opportunities to react or respond differently than killing Ma'Khia by shooting her in the back while yelling at bystanders to get down
  • Had Reardon not gone for his gun while shouting "hey hey hey" and instead attempted to physically intervene while Ma'Khia was within arms reach (or still closer to him than the car), she is likely still alive today
  • Had Reardon at any point in time attempted to issue a command to Ma'Khia ("stop", "drop the knife", "leave her alone", "come over here", or again, literally any command rather than nothing at all), she may have complied and would still be alive today.
This doesn't involve warning shots or leg shots or the reliability of tasers or much of what the conversation in these threads has discussed. None of these are surefire things that would have definitely saved Ma'Khia's life. None of these would have necessarily avoided the moment where Ma'Khia had the person in pink pinned up against the car. It's even possible that none of these alternatives are reasonable to have expected Reardon to do in the moment (I strongly disagree here, but I also have no particular expertise other than a belief that if we give officers the power to use lethal force on our behalf we must also hold them to a higher standard of judgment). But it's why I find statements like SocketWrench's "absolutely impossible" so risible.

Those who would know best, who were there and had more than just the officer's bodycam footage to provide context and knowledge, are not unanimous that the Reardon killing Ma'Khia was the only or best outcome. That disagreement, along with what I posted above, tells me the certainty with which statements are being made in this thread is unwarranted. I think that if we're calling the decision to kill a child unavoidable and justified, we had better be drat sure. There's not enough there in the video and reporting for me to get there, particularly given the other options available to Reardon.

eta: some relevant context for SocketWrench's post and assessment, from the discussion in the Chauvin thread after this was created

SocketWrench posted:

Watching the vid i can see how this plays out, I think some are putting a god level request on the cop. They showed up and had seconds to try and evaluate the situation before berserker blows past the cop to attack pink.
BERSERKER

Rust Martialis posted:

Didn't I read Bryant had been the one who called 911 saying she (Bryant) had been threatened with a knife?

Columbus PD has not identified the initial caller, but initial reports do say (I believe per Ma'Khia's aunt) that Ma'Khia called 911. Until there is anything to contradict that, I have no reason to doubt the initial reports.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 25, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why does any of this matter, regarding the cop?

As for giving benefit of the doubt, it's hard to take you seriously when you are not only ignoring reality when you say that we don't know if she was trying to stab her, but then almost dismissing it when saying she might have.

this. the cops there for like 7 seconds before it all goes down. he doesn't even have time to ask pink shirt whats up because she is clearly going over to try to talk to him. personally i think Ma'Khia Bryant is a victim and clearly had alot of issues and was failed by the system in various ways. she clearly needed help with stuff and its loving depressing that she never got it because our systems are failures.

Cugel the Clever posted:

It maddens me that folks are going so far as to victim blame the girl in pink, saying "oh, well, maybe she was a contemptible bully", just to cling desperately to their narrative.

yeah. both girls are victims, just in different ways.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 25, 2021

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Kalit posted:

I don't know why you keep trying to claim that Bryant might not have been trying to stab anyone. Both people who got attacked said this to the officers when they were splitting up witnesses after this occurred.

If you watch the across the street security video, Ma'Khia (at least I think it's safe to assume it's her) also yells "I'ma stab the gently caress out of you bitch" before/as she knocks the first girl over.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Vahakyla posted:

First: What would be an intent to stab that you would accept as an intent to do so, if not the knife-next-to-face freeze frame? Is there any possible condition of pre-stabbing that you will accept as so, before it does become a stabbing?

Second, you seem very fixated on "the cop getting the benefit of the doubt", when it's been said in this situation that this benefit of doubt, and the act of self defence isn't something the cop did on his own. It's what the girl in pink would like to do, but lacked the means to do so, and if the bystander would be a not-cop, for example the father of pink girl, the shooting would still be justified. Regardless of the person holding the gun, the act was the girl in pink being in immediate danger, and herself included, every reasonable person assuming that her life is in danger.

Because if the freeze frame you don't want to see is not a cause enough for every reasonable person to believe that death or serious injury is imminent, then there is no room for lawful and moral self-defence before the injury or death is already caused. And if that's your stance, that's fine.

But you see, what really is intent to stab? If people aren't going to watch the video, even the edited one that ends a split second before the actual shooting, then why the hell are they in here claiming what should be when it's clear they really have no grasp of what happened aside from "cop shot teen"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Magic City Monday posted:

If you watch the across the street security video, Ma'Khia (at least I think it's safe to assume it's her) also yells "I'ma stab the gently caress out of you bitch" before/as she knocks the first girl over.

wait their is street security video?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SocketWrench posted:

But you see, what really is intent to stab? If people aren't going to watch the video, even the edited one that ends a split second before the actual shooting, then why the hell are they in here claiming what should be when it's clear they really have no grasp of what happened aside from "cop shot teen"

Are you going to comment on calling the 15 year old girl who was killed a "berserker" at any point or are we going to have to bring it up every time like we are the spectre at the feast.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Paracaidas posted:

[*]Reardon kills Ma'Khia without identifying himself as police. Given the reports that Ma'Khia made the first 911 call, I feel it's reasonable to believe things could have gone differently had she been aware the police had arrived.

Which likely would have done gently caress all given the police cruiser/multiple cops in uniform that she could clearly see. She was pissed and she wanted to dole out vengance.

quote:

[*]Reardon, having heard the 911 audio (per the video), knows he is arriving at a scene where someone is threatening others with a knife. He makes no attempt to find out who has the knife, learning it as he sees Ma'Khia with the knife as she atracks others. Had the knife been his first inquiry upon arrival instead of "what's going on", he may have had more information and more opportunities to react or respond differently than killing Ma'Khia by shooting her in the back while yelling at bystanders to get down

Yeah, and at the same time he likely assumed someone had a knife but wasn't going to bust out trying to slice when he showed up. Hence the "what's going on?" to find out what's actually going on a split second before the brawl starts

quote:

[*]Had Reardon not gone for his gun while shouting "hey hey hey" and instead attempted to physically intervene while Ma'Khia was within arms reach (or still closer to him than the car), she is likely still alive today

While she was within arm's reach his attention was split between her and the dad kicking the downed girl in the head. He's trying to control two separate people doing separate things. Again I think people are trying to demand god powers from the police

quote:

[*]Had Reardon at any point in time attempted to issue a command to Ma'Khia ("stop", "drop the knife", "leave her alone", "come over here", or again, literally any command rather than nothing at all), she may have complied and would still be alive today.

She may have, but she likely wouldn't. The cops are there, it's fairly obvious. She's pissed though and lashing out. His commands, like a warning shot, would have done dick.
I've had to break up fights before, not as police but being in charge of the shop at the time. Do you know how hard that is when someone has decided they're going to fight? Let alone multiple people? Physical restraint is about your only option, and there's no way in a split second with attention drawn between two people that he's going to pull that off. And I certainly don't blame him for not tackling some knife wielding person for the same reason I wouldn't: Because there's a high probability I'll be the one that gets knifed.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Josef bugman posted:

Are you going to comment on calling the 15 year old girl who was killed a "berserker" at any point or are we going to have to bring it up every time like we are the spectre at the feast.

Oh my god I was being sarcastic with that. Jesus Christ

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait their is street security video?

A neighbor had a security camera above his garage that got the whole thing:

https://v.redd.it/56bstlqx8su61

(obviously :nws: )

Magic City Monday fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SocketWrench posted:

Oh my god I was being sarcastic with that. Jesus Christ

So we are going for "it's just a joke bro, chill out"? Or is this an apology?