Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Cerebral Bore posted:

I would agree, and in fact even WWE's own blueprint agrees. Sure, Undertaker held top titles from time to time, but more often than not somebody else was champ because they correctly figured out that he didn't need them.

The problem is that they are deviating from that blueprint more often. And it usually ends incredibly poorly. Look at The Fiend's title reigns on the main roster. He made everyone look like a complete loser. To the point of where they had to be repackaged (because whoops having all of your finishers and big moves no sold was a bad idea, who would have thought!). And while it ended in a no contest, look at Fiend Alexa's matches against Asuka. WWE completely destroyed Asuka's aura beyond the point of salvaging with those two matches. It's inherently an incredibly selfish gimmick where there is no way to make the other person look good.

There is literally no reason to believe that Alexa's current Fiend knockoff gimmick won't end up running over the entire WWE Women's Division and her holding that title hostage with lovely storytelling and even shittier matches where she just outright no-sells for everyone. And it's amazing that people are trying to defend Alexa's booking as this monster as some sort of genius level storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
let's not kid ourselves here, the problem is that the creative process has degenerated to the point that they can't even follow their own drat blueprint

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Blueprint implies that they have a complete plan to build something from start to finish. However, with WWE it feels more like those build model X magazines where you get a part with every issue but every week Vince buys an issue of a completely different magazine because he doesn't like the previous one.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I would disagree with the assessment of Alexas wrestling ability because placing at below average at best, makes me draw comps to Lana and Lacey.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Like Black’s gimmick isn’t even a spooky dude but rather a variant on “metal dude”, which is why none of this poo poo really works for him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Honestly as much fun as i am having comparing this to Garth Merenghi none of these are abject bad opinions and seem sincere. Like we might disagree a bit but this isn't up there with like a worst gimmick ever discussion. Given the depths of depravity we see people being cautiously optimistic doesn't seem that nad.

Now if Black starts bleeding goo from his head or going hard into the magical and people saying its awesome that he jobs to Fiend-Alexa then yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's going to be funny to watch the people who complained about Riho being too small stan Alexa Bliss who is the same height if they go with the unstoppable monster route.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Dawgstar posted:

It's going to be funny to watch the people who complained about Riho being too small stan Alexa Bliss who is the same height if they go with the unstoppable monster route.

Gonna make a bold prediction and say the people who complain about Riho aren't complaining because of her height, but because of her ethnicity.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I thought Black was just a black metal guy? His lore should be all about how he went to Scandinavia and burnt down a bunch of churches and like, no one can tell for sure sure if he's a white supremacist from his songs.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hoss Corncave posted:

Blueprint implies that they have a complete plan to build something from start to finish. However, with WWE it feels more like those build model X magazines where you get a part with every issue but every week Vince buys an issue of a completely different magazine because he doesn't like the previous one.

It's not like I think they had a master plan from day one with Taker, it's more like they have literally thirty years of inside info to look at what worked and what didn't with the guy and they still can't make another occult gimmick work.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I thought Black was just a black metal guy? His lore should be all about how he went to Scandinavia and burnt down a bunch of churches and like, no one can tell for sure sure if he's a white supremacist from his songs.

I'm absolutely sure that someone, somewhere has done an Abbath gimmick.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Vince MechMahon posted:

when's he making a racist TTRPG?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's not like I think they had a master plan from day one with Taker, it's more like they have literally thirty years of inside info to look at what worked and what didn't with the guy and they still can't make another occult gimmick work.

YMMV with this, but they DID have a good new occult gimmick: swamp preacher Bray Wyatt. When he came in and was at his height, he was a guy with a unique look, a cool entrance the fans got into without being told to, and a stable with two dudes that had great looks, one of whom was one of the best wrestlers of his generation that could and should have not only elevated the group, but also led to a barn burner of a feud with Bray when the thing broke up.

Instead they made him look like a dork for 3 years, lose every big match, and had to totally retool him to get any heat back at all after feeding him to the Cena and Taker machines. And what he came back with fuckin sucks.

They had that poo poo though, it was theirs to lose, and they lost spectacularly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PNGYAKUZA posted:

when's he making a racist TTRPG?

WWE: Know Your Role Second Edition gets really dark.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

YMMV with this, but they DID have a good new occult gimmick: swamp preacher Bray Wyatt. When he came in and was at his height, he was a guy with a unique look, a cool entrance the fans got into without being told to, and a stable with two dudes that had great looks, one of whom was one of the best wrestlers of his generation that could and should have not only elevated the group, but also led to a barn burner of a feud with Bray when the thing broke up.

Instead they made him look like a dork for 3 years, lose every big match, and had to totally retool him to get any heat back at all after feeding him to the Cena and Taker machines. And what he came back with fuckin sucks.

They had that poo poo though, it was theirs to lose, and they lost spectacularly.

See, this is exactly what I mean. If they had followed the Taker playbook they'd have the Wyatts kick everybody's rear end and the only ones who could even stand up to them would be the biggest babyfaces and even then only with a herculean effort. Every time a Wyatt lost should have been treated like a monumental occasion. And then you have a group of credible main eventers who you could have done any number of thins with.

And they should have known that this would probably work because they'd literally done it before themselves.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Lamuella posted:

WWE could learn a few things from how AEW treat Abadon. People aren't irrationally scared of her. They're rationally freaked out by the woman in zombie makeup spitting blood on the ramp.

That, and they use Abadon sparingly so her appearances still have some shock value

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

So HHH?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

No, I can tell HHH is a white supremacist.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Vince MechMahon posted:

No, I can tell HHH is a white supremacist.

he even added one more H than most to make extra sure

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

DarkstarIV posted:

Gonna make a bold prediction and say the people who complain about Riho aren't complaining because of her height, but because of her ethnicity.

Its also that they say Riho looks like a child so she's not believable as a wrestling champion whereas Alexa only dresses and acts as a sexy child while being tiny and thus...

That all of the above is true is disturbing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm absolutely sure that someone, somewhere has done an Abbath gimmick.
Nate Hatred from CZW wrestled in corpsepaint, so kinda.

Lamuella posted:

WWE could learn a few things from how AEW treat Abadon. People aren't irrationally scared of her. They're rationally freaked out by the woman in zombie makeup spitting blood on the ramp.
They also don't try to speculate about what she "is" and just let her do her thing and comment about how spooky she is. And sometimes she eats Oreos with Allie and it rules.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Been trying to figure out if Marty is a bot, a guy doing a bit or the most fascinating twitter character yet.

https://twitter.com/Marty83461594/status/1386156327970422784

https://twitter.com/Marty83461594/status/1386150817800073218

https://twitter.com/Marty83461594/status/1386150053820223488

https://twitter.com/Marty83461594/status/1385732558231584768

https://twitter.com/Marty83461594/status/1385711190194671616

https://twitter.com/Marty83461594/status/1385706833600552967

He pops up in random mentions and threads and never seems quite human, but also not quite a bot.

I'm just not sure if someone would think to design a bot that tweets about wrestling, soap operas, national news and Las Vegas.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Probably some machine learning experiment that escaped into the wild and developed somewhat peculiar tastes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cerebral Bore posted:

See, this is exactly what I mean. If they had followed the Taker playbook they'd have the Wyatts kick everybody's rear end and the only ones who could even stand up to them would be the biggest babyfaces and even then only with a herculean effort. Every time a Wyatt lost should have been treated like a monumental occasion. And then you have a group of credible main eventers who you could have done any number of thins with.

And they should have known that this would probably work because they'd literally done it before themselves.

Remember when the Wyatt Family and The Shield simply stared at each other and the crowd lost their loving minds?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

Remember when the Wyatt Family and The Shield simply stared at each other and the crowd lost their loving minds?

I was at the elimination chamber show in Minneapolis where they fought and it was fuckin WILD.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sticklefifer posted:

They also don't try to speculate about what she "is" and just let her do her thing and comment about how spooky she is. And sometimes she eats Oreos with Allie and it rules.

Best thing they ever did with her apart from the oreos and the Lexy Nair interview was when she had a title shot against Shida. In the weeks leading up to it Shida would post selfies on Twitter and Instagram... without in-character realising that Abadon was lurking in the background.

https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1331805718966657024?s=19

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They really should have brought that idea onto Dynamite

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rarity posted:

i have two simultaneous thoughts on 'bringing it onto Dynamite':

- i feel like abadon's big push is one of the many many things they're waiting on doing until they have big crowds again. her showing up on lexy nair's show with some of the other big acts shows the people behind the scenes are still very into her, so it's just a question of timing. i like her a bunch, too, but I think her match vs shida wasn't the right time for the belt to change and she still looked incredible in the match & the next time she shows up on dynamite is when they're starting to really get her going

- i think aew assumes their audience doesn't just watch two hours of dynamite every week and stop there as their interacting with the company, which means that the twitter promos and dark matches and youtube shows are being treated as extensions that they can and do use frequently to further characters and storylines to the fans. obviously dynamite's the core and they don't just shove stuff out there on there without any mention of why something's happening, but you still get stuff like 'oh, hobbs did this because taz enjoyed it so much on dark' that Helps

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Vince MechMahon posted:

I was at the elimination chamber show in Minneapolis where they fought and it was fuckin WILD.

It's always weird when WWE gets something right. It's like, so you CAN do stuff like this, but you simply choose not to??

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

It's always weird when WWE gets something right. It's like, so you CAN do stuff like this, but you simply choose not to??

I get the feeling that if something happens organically Vince just doesn’t like it because he can’t control it.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

i saw two accounts like marty's recently. both only tweeted things like "Who likes chatting CBS Daytime's "Y&R", "B&B" or NBC's "Days" TV Soaps on here?" and fairly normal sounding replies to celebs, but they got in an argument with each other in aoc's mentions where nothing they posted quite added up coherently and it seemed sometimes like the tweets were being posted out of order. couldnt figure out if they were bots or weirdos, i guess that's the uncanny valley right. "Who likes watching Live Streaming TV Newscasts from major US Cities & around the world online?" is an objectively funny sentence

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I found the ideal sports entertainment fan

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Dimebags Brain posted:

I like stand-up comedy but what's with all the jokes? I want to be entertained.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dimebags Brain posted:

i think the 'got fired for wrestling with a little girl' is the giveaway that it's a cornette fan fakeposting

edit: also the part where he says he keeps up with wrestling by listening to cornette

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he literally says up front that he only knows of Omega through Cornette. The guy probably doesn't even understand the connection between that and him parroting Cornette's criticisms while mentioning that he's barely even watched Omega.

Also the part where he lists Taker and Kane as some of his favorites but then mocks the idea of a manager cutting promos for a guy.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That guy is good but flying too close to the sun.

E: nevermind I misread.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 26, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing with the Fiend is, I'm on record as not minding weird supernatural poo poo in wrestling, even if the kind of mainstream wrestling that WWE and AEW do only really allow for small doses.

The problem is, as best I can tell, it's not going anywhere. Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt have fought a bunch and as best I can tell Randy usually wins, esp. the big matches- Wyatt has eked out like a victory or two, but it's not really a feud, because Orton has proven himself the stronger. And yet the angle keeps going, forever.

As has been pointed out, the Undertaker was insanely well built and protected in his early run. He would disappear for long periods, emerge for big matches, usually win, and this was going on into the Attitude Era. Even when he loses it's to guys like Stone Cold, he's always kept in the upper echelons. There's a reason he was able to be a feature attraction for that long.

Like they could theoretically salvage this if they booked Wyatt/the Fiend to be genuinely dominant and a threat to everyone but that's never going to happen.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Someone go get some TNA Mecca takes on Omega winning the impact gold

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

Abadon photobombing Dynamite seems like a bad idea because either it's subtle enough that people won't notice, or it's obvious enough that Schiavone will blurt out when he sees Abadon in the background, ruining the vibes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pinche Rudo posted:

Someone go get some TNA Mecca takes on Omega winning the impact gold

Some of them are on a normal one

Twinkletoes

Kenny Oatmeal

Jacksonville Dixie

Ton E Con

Rich Sean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU