Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shinjobi posted:

Bare minimum it gave us my dad the super pilot space pirate

It also made him a lovely father who abandoned his child for really stupid reasons, so I don't know that I'd count that as a good thing on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tsob posted:

It also made him a lovely father who abandoned his child for really stupid reasons, so I don't know that I'd count that as a good thing on the whole.

True, but in that series there is a serious discussion for whether or not he's the worst father in it.

And that says even more about AGE

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shinjobi posted:

True, but in that series there is a serious discussion for whether or not he's the worst father in it.

He pretty much is. The only other on-screen father who gets a lot of time is Flit himself, and despite his genocide boner, Flit is nothing if not supportive and understanding of Asemu during Asemu's arc. He doesn't even pressure Asemu to force himself to try to become an x-rounder super ace, that's all Asemu's own doing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Full disclosure I do consider the leader of Mars qualifies as well, for the absolute insanity of "could have moved away from deadly citizen killing planet rays, only chose to do so at the end of the series."

Still, i see your point

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So if Mars is rich in half-metal resource extraction does that mean there is still a giant cassette tape industry in the Post Disaster timeline?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm watching Origin 6 and I'm kind of at a loss at how Dozle managed to get the drop on Revil's fleet to the point where they were literally doing point blank broadsides without the Feds firing back. I think the implication is supposed to be that the Zeon Mobile Suit forces were sewing confusion in the feddie line of battle but the way its edited makes it seem like Char snipes the Forrestal, then Dozle hits the fleet head on, and only then does the rest of the MS force catch up and hit the fleet.

So Dozle lures out Tianem's vanguard fleet, then makes a show of fleeing before hiding in the minovsky field. Tianem sends out a recon force but they're already out of position while Dozle outflanks them to hit Revil's force. But even Revil's fleet could see Dozle coming with their own eyes and they didn't even start shooting back until Revil had already raked the Ananke at point blank range.

Did nobody think to start shooting? Was this an editing flub where the Zakus should have been distracting the fleet first? Am I missing something? I like the battle with the guncannons on the moon since it emphasizes Feddie arrogance against Zeon, but the Federation Fleet acts like complete morons where they don't even fire back. I know Loum was a one sided slaughter but there's a difference between arrogance and being made into total fools for the sake of narrative convenience.

Side note: are some of the dates changed between The Origin and the original show material? Origin pegs the battle of Loum at January 23rd while other sources I've seen say it took place between the 14th to the 16th.

There is a very simple explanation for this: the origin is very bad at combat choreography whenever it involves anything other than “one side completely clowns the other side through sheer brute force and speed”

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

tsob posted:

Yes but his son is Kio and abandoning that thing is probably a good call

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RevolverDivider posted:

On the other hand, a large part of the reason for Kio's turn to such extreme pacifism is probably the fact he was raised to view combat as a game and Vagans as literal non-people, and if he had a better father figure he probably wouldn't have turned so hard towards supporting the Vagan's lives at any cost.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

But would he have sucked as much with better parenting?

Then again, Flit was doing his best, and look at where that got him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Flit was doing his best, but he was doing his best with a very specific agenda. He wanted Kio to be the best soldier ever, and to make up for failing Asemu since Asemu died in combat. Also, to be the avatar for his hatred towards the Vagan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Flit was doing his best, but he was doing his best with a very specific agenda. He wanted Kio to be the best soldier ever, and to make up for failing Asemu since Asemu died in combat. Also, to be the avatar for his hatred towards the Vagan.

Yeah, and look how that failed. If it wound up with Kio as a traumatized mess, or like Mikazuki with real problems thinking of his enemies as deserving of life?

Then yeah. His methods were the cause of his grandson's issues.

But Kio winding up valuing the lives of the enemy more than the lives of his comrades? That one isn't on genocide grandpa, and it's probably not an issue better parenting would fix.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, and look how that failed. If it wound up with Kio as a traumatized mess, or like Mikazuki with real problems thinking of his enemies as deserving of life?

Then yeah. His methods were the cause of his grandson's issues.

But Kio winding up valuing the lives of the enemy more than the lives of his comrades? That one isn't on genocide grandpa, and it's probably not an issue better parenting would fix.

He wound up that way seemingly as a direct reaction to being raised to believe Vagan weren't human though. Which different parenting would presumably fix, especially since Asemu doesn't think that way about the Vagan.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

He wound up that way seemingly as a direct reaction to being raised to believe Vagan weren't human though. Which different parenting would presumably fix, especially since Asemu doesn't think that way about the Vagan.

Yeah, Flit's hardcore dehumanisation of the Vagan left him completely defenceless when some of them turned out to be human and likeable. It meant he had no realistic lens within which to understand the war.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Well, that's when you take the Gundam away from the kid who is, at best, a Team Killer and is at worst an active Traitor, and give it to someone else who won't get allies killed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the gundam is a really big guy

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The Dark Hound is cool but I feel like if that's the bare minimum it's kind of damning AGE by faint praise, since it's a reference to something that hasn't even gotten animated yet.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Age has a lot of good mobile suits. Age 2 Normal Dark Hound Zeydra and Legilis are all top notch designs

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Dark Hound feels quite tame for what it is. It doesn't lean nearly as hard into the pirate theme as it could, the way Flit's early units leaned into being wrestlers and ninjas with beam lariats and poo poo. Plus, it just comes off as really undergunned. I'm not a fan of the Legilis either, even though I like the Vagan aesthetic it's based on, including the Zeydra. I really like the goofier poo poo like the Xamdrag and Wrozzo though, so what the gently caress do I know...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I like the Danazine, big dumb space dragon thing. I wish the Eldora Danazine had gotten a little more screentime.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Complaining about AGE at this point is kind of trite considering there's been seven Gundam tv series since it, and charitably two of them have been better than it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Seemlar posted:

Complaining about AGE at this point is kind of trite considering there's been seven Gundam tv series since it, and charitably two of them have been better than it

Build Fighters, G-Reco, Build Fighters Try, Iron-Blooded Orphans, and ReRise were all significantly better than AGE, and that's if we discount Thunderbolt and The Origin. Like, not all of the above were great TV, but they were reliably more pleasant viewing experiences than AGE.

Really, its only competition for truly awful Gundam TV is Build Divers and the SD Gundam series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seemlar posted:

Since Age, and not counting SD we've gotten:

Build Fighters
Reconguista in G
Build Fighters Try
Gundam-San
Iron Blooded Orphans
Build Divers
Build Divers Re:Rise

We also had TV recuts of Unicorn and Origins, but I'll exclude those for the moment to simplify things.

Build Fighters is widely praised as good fun with more heart than you'd expect for such a mech heavy show. Re:Rise is a solid isekai with a likable main cast and some good in-jokes, despite building off the wretchedness of Build Divers. And IBO's one of the best Gundams period.

Even just going for the simple breakdown with no excess of generosity, that's three good shows since AGE. And AGE sucks enough that I'd put an interesting failure like G-Reco well ahead of it. At most, AGE beats Try and Divers since Gundam San, whatever its faults, is at least short.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well eventually i will truly know AGE, but i would say at least even the worst of modern shows have the good sense to be 26 episodes or less

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

dogsicle posted:

well eventually i will truly know AGE, but i would say at least even the worst of modern shows have the good sense to be 26 episodes or less

AGE had a structural conceit to it that, if it had followed through, could easily have justified running for a full year. They did not do nearly enough with.

The second rather baffling thing about AGE is that I can confirm via first-hand experience that Level 5 can make a drat good robot show. Seriously, watch Danball Senki, it is legitimately a good little Mecha show. And I'm not just making a stupid pun, it is honestly worth a watch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Build Fighters is only about as good as AGE tbh.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Raxivace posted:

Build Fighters is only about as good as AGE tbh.

What the gently caress

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

What the gently caress

The tbh stands for Total Bullshit Here, presumably.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you include try in the scope of fighters that seems understandable

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 26, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

if you include try in the scope of fighters that seems understandable

try at least had a few good fights

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Age has a few good fights in the Second Gen and Memory of Eden has a fantastic final fight. Memory of Eden is actually pretty decent since it completely focuses on the two good characters in Age.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The main good thing about AGE will probably always be its mechanical designs

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

AGE had a structural conceit to it that, if it had followed through, could easily have justified running for a full year. They did not do nearly enough with.

When Banrise originally spoke to Hino about making AGE they were just looking for a game that'd sell a million units and he insisted that'd be impossible with any existing property and they had to give him an anime with a new AU if they wanted to sell that many. So he was made director of his own show, and originally envisioned 75+ episodes, which Banrise shot down and gave him a year (presumably due to broadcaster slots and poo poo). He wanted to use that extra time to give Asemu and Zeheart's schooldays up to 10 episodes of content, for instance. So it's probably a good thing he didn't get more episodes honestly, because there is no indication he would have made good use of them. As is, Hino really should not have been the shows director, because he'd never made an anime before and it shows. He should probably have been made a producer and given the directorial job to someone who knows how to make an anime, even if it was someone form Level 5 like Naohito Takahashi, the Danball Senki director. Or at least just made him a co-director with someone else who has experience directing anime given at least as much control as the other guy.

ninjewtsu posted:

try at least had a few good fights

I would say that Try and AGE are both pretty much awful, and probably the worst shows that Gundam has produced (beyond maybe some SD stuff I haven't seen) for the simple reason that both were boring almost all the way through, as well as just being filled with really stupid poo poo and wasting some interesting concepts. Destiny is also awful for instance, and often held up as the worst of Gundam, but at least it had some decent episodes in the first stretch and was entertaining with it's stupidity. It definitely had a long run of boring episodes too, but there was some good stuff in the first dozen epsisodes. AGE and Try couldn't even make their dumb poo poo entertaining, and it was mostly just bafflingly stupid. Like, why did the Vagans stay at Mars despite nothing ever establishing why they couldn't move Second Moon all along if they'd wanted? Why was Zera Gins introduced in the closing moments of the penultimate episodes as Kio's rival, but never given any dialogue in the entire show? Why was the mysterious girl that Flit met as a kid while battling mysterious enemies never given any kind of past, or link to the enemy to humanize them, make him think twice about his view of them and/or cause drama etc.

tsob fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 26, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

Age has a few good fights in the Second Gen and Memory of Eden has a fantastic final fight. Memory of Eden is actually pretty decent since it completely focuses on the two good characters in Age.

That's a very generous assessment. Memory of Eden is horribly structured, has only three characters who feel like characters, one of whom gets sidelined early, and I wasn't that impressed with the final fight when I watched it.

It's not bad, once it gets to the fight proper, but the start is pretty much just beamspam, and the flow is a bit confused in the early stages of the scrap. It's detailed, and there are good moments (have to appreciate a good punch-through-a-punch) but I don't think I'd call it fantastic.

Memory of Eden may be the best of Age, but that's a pretty damning assessment.

tsob posted:

I would say that Try and AGE are both pretty much awful, and probably the worst shows that Gundam has produced (beyond maybe some SD stuff I haven't seen) for the simple reason that both were boring almost all the way through, as well as just being filled with really stupid poo poo and wasting some interesting concepts. Destiny is also awful for instance, and often held up as the worst of Gundam, but at least it had some decent episodes in the first stretch and was entertaining with it's stupidity. It definitely had a long run of boring episodes too, but there was some good stuff in the first dozen epsisodes. AGE and Try couldn't even make their dumb poo poo entertaining, and it was mostly just bafflingly stupid. Like, why did the Vagans stay at Mars despite nothing ever establishing why they couldn't move Second Moon all along if they'd wanted? Why was Zera Gins introduced in the closing moments of the penultimate episodes as Kio's rival, but never given any dialogue in the entire show? Why was the mysterious girl that Flit met as a kid while battling mysterious enemies never given any kind of past, or link to the enemy to humanize them, make him think twice about his view of them and/or cause drama etc.

The first Build Divers is down there too.

At least Flit had a discernable personality. Nobody bothered to give Riku that memo.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 26, 2021

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've been rewatching some of seed lately and I still don't understand what the whole story with Cagalli and Kira is. Like they were twins, but Kira got chosen to be experimented on and Cagalli didn't? Then, somehow, for whatever reason, Kira ended up with his adopted parents and Cagalli, somehow got adopted by some higher up at Orb? Just... How the hell did this all happen :psyduck:.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
From memory, Kira and Cagalli's biological father was the scientist behind the Ultimate Coordinator program and a massive scumbag who had Kira's embryo removed from his wife without her consent and plugged into his artificial womb tech. He was so obsessed creating a perfect Coordinator that he just didn't care about his other child which is why she was left as a Natural. I think he's also the guy who created Rau in exchange for funding to keep the UC program funded?

From there on it's just Star Wars - Blue Cosmos assassinated the parents, but not before the mother managed to send infant Kira and Cagalli away to safety with her sister at Orb, at which point they raise the son as their own and give the daughter away to adoption.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Cagalli man what a roller coaster of a character she is. Originlally pitched as the strong independent woman and eventually she gets portrayed as such a weak and ineffectual leader she lets herself get cucked by a politician into a marriage that is only stopped by Jesus Yamato kidnapping her because she cannot do a drat thing for herself. Also she becomes such a liability on the battlefield (after originally being a god damned guerilla combatant leader/pilot) that they have to give her an invincible Strike unit.

You type things out about SEED -> Destiny and god drat it sounds even worse than i remember it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Cagalli man what a roller coaster of a character she is. Originlally pitched as the strong independent woman and eventually she gets portrayed as such a weak and ineffectual leader she lets herself get cucked by a politician into a marriage that is only stopped by Jesus Yamato kidnapping her because she cannot do a drat thing for herself. Also she becomes such a liability on the battlefield (after originally being a god damned guerilla combatant leader/pilot) that they have to give her an invincible Strike unit.

An invincible Strike unit that she gives away for someone else to pilot, because she's too poo poo to make any decent use of it. So Mwu pilots it after being cleared of his brainwashing, and nobody mentions or cares about all the warcrimes he committed as a Char. Including him.

I don't know if Neo is the most token Char in the franchise, but he's certainly a contender. Lady Char from Try being one of the other prime candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

tsob posted:

Lady Char from Try being one of the other prime candidates.

I feel like she's gone so far she's crossed another boundary and isn't a Char at all. Like the entirety of her Char-ness is "has a mask".