Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

It’s been an exciting day apparently- an avalanche which may or may not have blocked the Icefall route (no one hurt). It is all either fine or will take 5 days to fix.

There’s a video on Alan Arnette’s page of the avalanche.

And a Sherpa has broken his leg in the Icefall and was lifted out by helicopter. There’s a short video on Pakistani climber Shehroze Kasif’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CN4sDe_hize/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

In other news, Alan Annette is also reporting it is a peak (heh) year for permits issued, so hopefully there’s going to be a long weather window or there will be crowding problems.

And finally, we have a singer going up this year - Mike Posner, who is now at EBC. He is climbing for the Detroit Justice Center (link to donate on his Instagram if you are interested). He even got a special cake from a bakery in a village on the trek because the owners liked his music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

GrandpaPants posted:

Where are you guys watching Alone? My girlfriend has Discovery+ and we watched/enjoyed the first season, even if it started to drag a bit towards the end, but it doesn't have Seasons 2-3 for some reason.

The first few seasons at least are on the History Channel's website if you're in the US or have a VPN.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Colonel Cancer posted:

Can one hypothetically be banned from the mountain? Or can you always go to the manager and get it rescinded

Sherpas can get banned as well

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

We did it, lads.

https://twitter.com/kashishds/status/1384728491229282305

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Don't they quarantine people before they're allowed to come to the mountain? Seems silly not to.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Kamrat posted:

Don't they quarantine people before they're allowed to come to the mountain? Seems silly not to.

Half the clients would consider themselves above petty rules and would ignore quarantine unless under armed guard.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

If its the UK strain, we should claim another empire first and dedicate it to Philip.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
COVID plus oxygen deprivation ought to equal a harmonious climb. What could go wrong?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

COVID plus oxygen deprivation ought to equal a harmonious climb. What could go wrong?

Some rich rear end in a top hat is going to try and climb sick, get hit by an avalanche and be an actual example of dying with covid, not of covid.

Oh, nm I thought you said what could go right.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That's the next big thing. Without oxygen tanks was yesterday, now you need to climb Everest with Covid to really make a dent.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

gonna be the first half-Greek woman with terrible eyesight and a penchant for weed to die of COVID at base camp

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

gonna be the first half-Greek woman with terrible eyesight and a penchant for weed to die of COVID at base camp

Follow ur dreams, so brave!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The hero we deserve

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

They'll be needing to order extra shipments of oxygen for the climbers this year from India.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

sullat posted:

They'll be needing to order extra shipments of oxygen for the climbers this year from India.

Indian hospitals are out of oxygen because of all of the COVID hospitalizations right now. So good luck acquiring oxygen from India to climb mountains—with or without COVID.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they meant oxygen for the climbers that are from India, because they all have covid.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Looks like there's a record number of summiting permits. 394, versus 381 in 2019, and counting.

Officials are saying social distancing and masks will be mandated on the mountain :lol:

e: and the number of Covid cases has gone up to "several".

e2:

quote:

Outfitters have been told “that first permitted groups will get the first chance at summit push,” Everest Today‘s blogger Chabbi Pokhrel confirmed to ExplorersWeb. “It states that permit numbers 6 to 38 will have to summit in an earlier weather window, followed by permit numbers 40 to 68.” The remaining climbers will have to wait for a third weather window.

So which team has the inside track on this staggered start? Coincidentally or not, it’s His Royal Highness, the Sheikh of Bahrain, and his large Royal Guard team, led by many of Seven Summit Treks’ most experienced Sherpa guides.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 23, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have that feeling you get when you see someone about to trip over something but you're too far away to try and stop them.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

gschmidl posted:

I believe the official CDC conversion table is:

"One" = several
"Several" = a lot
"A lot" = pretty much everyone

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gschmidl posted:

Looks like there's a record number of summiting permits. 394, versus 381 in 2019, and counting.

Officials are saying social distancing and masks will be mandated on the mountain :lol:

e2:

Don't worry. There definitely won't be any traffic jams. If there's no pictures of people lined up a hundred deep, then it never happened, right?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Oh my god imagine catching loving Covid on Everest on top of barely being able to breathe in the first place, your muscles already dying from extreme climate stresses, and worrying about HAPE/HACE. Guess the mountain god will feed well this year. And of course, the poor Sherpas will be stuck cleaning up after them as always.

This thought is morbid, but I wonder if corpsecicles infested with Covid will keep live virus on them like that Spanish Flu victim they dug up from permafrost to sequence the virus almost 100 years later did? Imagine Covid coming to ravage all of humanity in the 2100s again because some idiot future hiker poked a half-melted body from this era.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It will, but Covid-19 and it's variants are basically endemic now thanks to how so many governments managed to completely bungle their response, we're going to be dealing with it either way.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cojawfee posted:

I think they meant oxygen for the climbers that are from India, because they all have covid.

He did, it just reminded me that the entire region is low on oxygen needed for honest to gods life saving medicine.

This, I imagine, is going to have to have an impact on the climbing season.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gschmidl posted:

climbing Everest (safely)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Make sure you're six feet away from the person in front of you while you make your way through this choke point.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

ZombieLenin posted:

He did, it just reminded me that the entire region is low on oxygen needed for honest to gods life saving medicine.

This, I imagine, is going to have to have an impact on the climbing season.

You're assuming oxygen suppliers will ration it out to dying people who need it instead of hedge fund managers who want it. That's bold.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You're assuming oxygen suppliers will ration it out to dying people who need it instead of hedge fund managers who want it. That's bold.

The Sheikh of Bahrain is first in line because he "donated" 10,000 doses of covid vaccine to the country. Yeah, guess who's also getting the oxygen.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Why did you go to Everest during the plague year?

"It was cheaper"

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

PittTheElder posted:

"It was cheaper"

Ah, pay to play suckers never change.

Not sure if this year will get me closer to or further away from my now 4 year long running bet that someone gets suplexed off the Kangshung face.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

"It was cheaper"

He was sick and continued for days until it got too severe. Knowing about the pandemic and therefore knowing he could be endangering those around him, he went on for days. And did he think he'd get better once he got to the mountain? Like Everest is a magic spring that makes you feel great and cures illness.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

He was sick and continued for days until it got too severe. Knowing about the pandemic and therefore knowing he could be endangering those around him, he went on for days. And did he think he'd get better once he got to the mountain? Like Everest is a magic spring that makes you feel great and cures illness.

but see, if he could just starve the virus and their teensy little lungs of oxygen before he succumbed to oxygen deprivation he’d be right as rain :shuckyes:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I can't have the global pandemic virus! That shits overblown, also I'm me, the protagonist, and these things don't happen to me! It's just a cold I'll hide the symptoms and continue on.

Oof so tired.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Aegis Bear posted:

Oh my god imagine catching loving Covid on Everest on top of barely being able to breathe in the first place, your muscles already dying from extreme climate stresses, and worrying about HAPE/HACE. Guess the mountain god will feed well this year. And of course, the poor Sherpas will be stuck cleaning up after them as always.

Dunno how much the sherpas will be cleaning up. I imagine any amount of lung and heart damage is bad when your whole livelihood depends on having great lungs. Potentially even a mild case of covid is crippling for them.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Surely Mother Mountain will cleanse me of my stupidity and illness! Determination is the best protection against HAPE, after all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Much to everyone's surprise, there's a COVID outbreak at Base Camp and the Nepal government is covering it up.

quote:

A doctor with the International Society of Mountain Medicine (ISMM) who spoke anonymously to Explorersweb blog over the weekend about the situation in the camp complained about the inability to identify cases of Covid-19 at the temporary medical facility that is set up at Everest base camp each season.

“We have protocols in place at the Himalayan Rescue Association’s clinic for treating patients with suspected Covid,” he said. “We have been denied permission by the ministry of health to do PCR testing.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Everest: International Society at the Mountain of Madness

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Much to everyone's surprise, there's a COVID outbreak at Base Camp and the Nepal government is covering it up.

The mountain looks down and says, "Hey guys, keep it up, this is fun to watch."

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, this is shaping up pretty much exactly as everyone thought it would.

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
is first vaccinated half mexican woman to summit with covid taken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I mean, who could have possibly seen this coming?

I get that Nepal relies on rich Western Everest climbers, as do many of the Sherpas, but this always has disaster written all over it.