Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

All I know is that I haven't binged a game like this in quite a long time. It's a loving treat and proof that Yoko Taro can repeat the quality of Automata

Uh, about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Uh, about that.

Gameplay wise. I mean, I never would doubt his ability to write a batshit story so caveat of this being a remake aside... I trust he now knows what "fun" is for action rpgs to build off of

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

e: this is about Replicant

I hope i'm just missing something obvious, so i'm asking here.

Is there some way to completely remap the buttons on PS4? I'd like to have my physical attacks on the right shoulder triggers and the magic ones assigned to the face buttons. "Custom" doesn't seem to let me mess with the shoulder buttons at all, and the Magic/Abilities menu just seems to let me move stuff around the shoulder buttons and not change them to attack. If not, well i'm sure i'll cope alright, but even after a couple hours dinking around i sure am still occasionally mashing the wrong things during battle as my brain apparently defaults to my old Automata setup.

Despite playing the hell out of Automata, and even watching a youtube video or two about the lore i actually know (or remember) very little about what's going to happen during Replicant. Also, as much as i'm glad to see that a lot of the sidequests are totally skippable, i'm not sure if i'm capable of not accepting every quest from every random NPC who has one. We'll see. Just got to Junk Heap, looking forward to see where this all goes.

Also, also, it was cool to go "huh, i just fought those guys in FFXIV" in the battle where you find Weiss.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 26, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh boy, if you’ve done the raid first, remember to go back and retry it after this game. :allears:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Nier Automata being a mega hit and the sheer amount of press I'm seeing over Nier Replicant seems like a sure thing that Yoko Taro will be approached for a 3rd game or the gatcha gets a big push for a Western release.

I'd really like to see some form of a collection of all the supplemental materials. I think og Nier had actual audio dramas that were released along with the game giving tons of backstory and explanations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Ok, I'm confused. I've just gained the B ending but the third loop seems to be completely identical to the second one? No new quests, only the two I didn't finish in the second loop (because where the hell are pink flower seeds?). The B ending said that I needed to collect all weapons, but I already got 90% of them, and every weapon shop is empty (or at least was in the second loop). Did I miss something obvious? My quest percentage is 56% with 6 failed quests, but shouldn't it either be below 50% or much higher?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So what sort of mods/plugins should I be using to play Replicant on PC?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

Ok, I'm confused. I've just gained the B ending but the third loop seems to be completely identical to the second one? No new quests, only the two I didn't finish in the second loop (because where the hell are pink flower seeds?). The B ending said that I needed to collect all weapons, but I already got 90% of them, and every weapon shop is empty (or at least was in the second loop). Did I miss something obvious? My quest percentage is 56% with 6 failed quests, but shouldn't it either be below 50% or much higher?

You get some weapons for completing quests and some you find in the world. There’s two in the Shadow Lord’s castle, for instance. And three you get for doing the mom’s diary DLC thing

Also, so far in the third loop I have noticed three small changes but that’s it haha. Definitely a bit tiresome but I still expect it all to be worth it in the end!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

ymgve posted:

where the hell are pink flower seeds?

I think those are ones you get from crossbreeding.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Zack Ater posted:

I think those are ones you get from crossbreeding.

uh how

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

For the sake of your health and sanity just skip that one, seriously

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Prepare for loving pain
https://lparchive.org/NIER/Update%2083/

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

HAHAHAHAHA

That's incredible.

Never.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
plant flower seeds in alternating patterns, sometimes they grow up wrong

then take the seeds from those plants and plant em

(dont, flower breeding sucks)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
How on earth do you drift a boar?
I keep slamming them into walls. Tried holding l2 before accelerating, at the same time, at the same time as pressing a direction, I'm not really finding any good way to drive outside of slamming them straight into the wall opposite because they can't turn for poo poo.

I read the (very good) let's play for this before nier automata came out, and I'm a little sad that I did because while I can't remember it in detail, I do feel somewhat familiar with the game and I wish it was all new.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 26, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

good friends don't let their friends do life in the desert

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they do, however, let their friends become KING OF THE FISHERMEN :cool:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Escobarbarian posted:

You get some weapons for completing quests and some you find in the world. There’s two in the Shadow Lord’s castle, for instance. And three you get for doing the mom’s diary DLC thing

Also, so far in the third loop I have noticed three small changes but that’s it haha. Definitely a bit tiresome but I still expect it all to be worth it in the end!

Thanks! I didn't remember that I got one weapon in the diary, so totally forgot about it. Now missing only one, and I couldn't resist the temptation to look it up. Turns out there's a quest that appears after getting the Cerberus stone!

uh yeah im not doing that, noope

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm doing it, because I'm taking the game super leisurely anyway so planting from time to time isn't much of a bother.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been pretty impressed with the action in this. Obviously not Automata-tier, but it's fun and the boss fights have been really cool looking. I like the dodge move that makes you go behind enemies.

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of 10 years ago, I cannot wait for people’s blind reactions to this game.

I'm going in with a couple major plot points spoiled, but I know basically nothing about how those plot points are arrived at.

Basically, the info I have going in is (significant spoiler) player Nier is a replicant and Shadowlord is Nier from the very beginning, I believe trying to get Replicant Yonah to house original Yonah's soul. But I don't know what the deal with the Grimoires is or what happens in the plot pertaining to Kaine or Emil (or any of the specifics about how the aforementioned spoiler is arrived at).

I feel like anyone who has played Automata first should be able to at least infer that all the people together with the player character are replicants, since I believe Automata reveals the basic situation with replicants/gestalts and the timeline involved with them.

cubicle gangster posted:

How on earth do you drift a boar?
I keep slamming them into walls. Tried holding l2 before accelerating, at the same time, at the same time as pressing a direction, I'm not really finding any good way to drive outside of slamming them straight into the wall opposite because they can't turn for poo poo.

Is there any way to slow down a boar other than moving the joystick backwards (which causes it to abruptly slam on the brakes).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

was there not a goon video lp of nier? i definitely remember watching one but a check of the usual suspects' youtube channels and whatnot turned up nothing

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 26, 2021

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just spent all day fishing, growing flowers, and collecting dragon butts for random townspeople.

Game's good.

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of 10 years ago, I cannot wait for people’s blind reactions to this game.

It might not be blind but I have played Automata and I nearly started crying when I got to the opening area and realized that (big automata spoilers] the town music is the same song Devola and Popola sing as they die/help 9S get into the tower at the end of Automata.

Additionally, having previously played Automata makes things have a much more melancholy and bittersweet tone when you know how it's all going to end. Still not entirely sure on how exactly (big spoilers for both games I suppose) Devola and Popola link between the two games. My memory is they somehow caused the end of the world, but not really and it was all a big misunderstanding and they were unjustly punished for it for millennia. I have no idea if that's accurate or not, and I'd prefer not to be corrected if I'm wrong though as I'd prefer to find out on my own rather than being corrected by a forums post.

Really enjoying the game so far, even though I've barely scratched the surface of the plot. I'm a completionist with games like this and I heard if you don't do the early sidequests before a Point of No Return there's no way to get 100%...and getting 100% in Automata was incredibly rewarding because of the huge payoff with the final ending.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 26, 2021

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Oneiros posted:

was there not a goon video lp of nier? i definitely remember watching one but a check of the usual suspects' youtube channels and whatnot turned up nothing

Its probably the one linked on this very page.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

HAHAHAHAHA

That's incredible.

Never.

There's an easier way. Set your system clock timezone UTC-11 and plant. Save. Set your clock to UTC+13 and load. This will make the game *think* a day has passed. Check which flowers mutated. Reset you clock back to UTC-11 and re-plant the ones that didn't take (the game decides mutation the second you plant it). You can then set your clock back to your local time and play normally. After an irl day has passed you can then set to UTC+13 again to harvest the seeds and repeat (because it takes 48 hours to get flower seeds).

Still tedious and annoying because you have to wait but at least you don't have to deal with randomness on top of it. Plus unless you're absolutely pooopsocking the game this shouldn't interfere too much with your play pattern because when you start waiting you'll know you actually have the right flowers growing and you can let sleeping/going to work/having a life take care of the time. Still an absolutely stupid design though and I don't blame anyone for skipping it or cheat engine'ing their way through it.

Additionally, the system in the LP for doing the planting is just wrong/inefficient. You want your plots to look like this to maximize mutation chances. You can buy Red, Gold and Blue seeds from the sea village place:

code:
[RED] [GOLD] [RED] [GOLD] [RED]

code:
[BLUE] [GOLD] [BLUE] [GOLD] [BLUE]

code:

[INDIGO] [RED] [INDIGO] [RED] [INDIGO]

code:

[PEACH] [PINK] [PEACH] [PINK] [PEACH]

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 26, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

axeil posted:

It might not be blind but I have played Automata and I nearly started crying when I got to the opening area and realized that (big automata spoilers] the town music is the same song Devola and Popola sing as they die/help 9S get into the tower at the end of Automata.

Doesn't the library in the town also show up near the end of Automata (where you get various records or something)? It looked very familiar.

I like how you only hear the singing when you're actually near Devola, and how the singing (and lute) stops if you talk to her.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Doesn't the library in the town also show up near the end of Automata (where you get various records or something)? It looked very familiar.

Yes it does. That was another "Oh...oh dear...Oh no :ohdear:" moment where things connected as I had no clue what any of the references were in Automata that were supposed to be a kick in the teeth.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Honestly, I played Automata so long after Nier that I'd forgotten some of the little details. It's been long enough now that as soon as I finish Replicant, I'm diving back in for my second runthrough of Automata.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

Honestly, I played Automata so long after Nier that I'd forgotten some of the little details. It's been long enough now that as soon as I finish Replicant, I'm diving back in for my second runthrough of Automata.

I had that experience too. I didn't even recognize the Nier characters aside from Emil. For most of the game I didn't actually realize it was a direct sequel to Nier until I saw the stuff about the WCS and made the connection.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Memnaelar posted:

Yeah I feel like I missed out on a lot of context by not playing Nier first. I just left the desert area for the first time and I feel like the maps must correspond in some way? The factory, desert, coast and forest all feel like they're in sort of similar positions - unless I'm seeing patterns where they aren't there.

I'm telling myself that I'll dive into it for a second run once I'm done but my backlog is giving me sideways glances.

I also feel like Automata will have spoiled a lot of Replicant for me but thankfully I can't remember most of the wackier details.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I don’t think Automata really spoils much besides that top boy Emil is still alive and kicking a billion years after Replicant.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

stev posted:

Yeah I feel like I missed out on a lot of context by not playing Nier first. I just left the desert area for the first time and I feel like the maps must correspond in some way? The factory, desert, coast and forest all feel like they're in sort of similar positions - unless I'm seeing patterns where they aren't there.
You're not just seeing things - It is roughly in the same place. The maps don't correspond one-for-one and the environment has shifted a fair bit due to the 10,000+ year timeskip, but one of the quests in Automata is scouring the desert for artifacts from Facade. The little crumbling walls scattered about are all that's left of The City of Rules. :smith:

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh I don't think Automata really spoils much besides that top boy Emil is still alive and kicking a billion years after Replicant.
Honestly, even if it did spoil anything, neither game is really harmed by spoilers? The strength of these games lies mostly in the characters. The original opening is basically a clipshow of a lot of the dramatic moments of Part 2, but that doesn't ruin the experience of seeing them in context.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t think of Nier as the kind of series where being spoiled matters much. But umm, speaking of spoilers, (HOLY HELL NEWBIES DONT READ THIS) golly gee does killing those shades an hour in for the first time after being spoiled NOT feel good. At least they took out the additional gutpunch of iirc them having coloring books? :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

You're not just seeing things - It is roughly in the same place. The maps don't correspond one-for-one and the environment has shifted a fair bit due to the 10,000+ year timeskip, but one of the quests in Automata is scouring the desert for artifacts from Facade. The little crumbling walls scattered about are all that's left of The City of Rules. :smith:

The walls... and the DLC arena below, where Machines have taken up the culture of long dead Facade as their own.

2B, Nines, or A2 could become King!

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 26, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t think of Nier as the kind of series where being spoiled matters much. But umm, speaking of spoilers, (HOLY HELL NEWBIES DONT READ THIS) golly gee does killing those shades an hour in for the first time after being spoiled NOT feel good. At least they took out the additional gutpunch of iirc them having coloring books? :(

They still have coloring books, those are a random drop on small Shades.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
It kills me that you can only do either a very slow walk or a run when there's an area where you literally can't do anything but jog. How about giving me that jog to make following these NPCs a little more tolerable?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve done it twice now and both times the moment in the final section where Emil actually says your name out loud made me do a double-take and go “wait WHAT did I just imagine that”

I named my character Dongs and Emil did NOT say that

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oneiros posted:

Were you thinking of the one I did with Artix and Faerie Fortune? I never got around to archiving it so it just exists on my channel for now.

Uncut Commentary Playlist
Cut Commentary Playlist

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For new players like me: finished the third loop and these are all the changes I noticed. Maybe there were smaller ones where like one line of dialogue was different, but I may have just missed something before. Basic description first, more detailed description below. Hopefully it helps let people know what it’s safe to skip.

Three new scenes with Devola and Popola:
- one early on, talking about your chances of finding all the key parts
- one slightly later, talking about the Seafront shipwreck stuff and Louise
- one as you take the ferry to Shadowlord’s castle at the end, talking about their doubts and how they’ll need to stop you

One boss fight ends differently:
- the fight against Louise after the shipwreck section now ends with you climbing onto her and running up to/killing the human section of her at the top

A new text section in the final area:
- After Emil sacrifices himself, you get another dream section with him. Once it’s done you get the trophy/cheevo for reading all your friend’s novel segments

And then of course the stuff at the very end that makes up endings C/D.

If I missed anything, let me know!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Changes in terms of original to remake, or ending-to-ending?

Oh yeah, this game has multiple endings by the way, in case anyone doesn’t already know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Changes in terms of original to remake, or ending-to-ending?

Additions to the third loop that weren’t in the second loop.

Also GUESS WHO FORGOT TO SAVE BEFORE THE FINAL SECTION and now has at least two other sections to do before that to get Ending D. God dammit it is 2021