Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Man, you wanna know what? My niece just recently got herself a laptop for roughly a grand and it blows my old rear end computer out of the water. I was shocked a laptop could be that beefy. Or am I wrong? This is good right?

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000X-02AD9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neuronyx posted:

Man, you wanna know what? My niece just recently got herself a laptop for roughly a grand and it blows my old rear end computer out of the water. I was shocked a laptop could be that beefy. Or am I wrong? This is good right?

You can get basically the same thing for 2-3 hundo less elsewhere.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You can get basically the same thing for 2-3 hundo less elsewhere.

WHERE? :stoked:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Neuronyx posted:

What the gently caress is this crypto bullshit still doing around? I hear it's a dead fad but uhh guess it's not that dead if it's still up and running. God drat it.

Everything shutting down means people put money investments.

Hopefully opening up has the opposite effect on the crypto bubble, the global cap has been tumbling so im hopeful summer is a good time to score a GPU.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The HP Omen with the 1660 is better at the same price through HP.

This one is roughly equal for two hundred less:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideap...+1650+16&sr=8-3

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

The HP Omen with the 1660 is better at the same price through HP.

This one is roughly equal for two hundred less:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideap...+1650+16&sr=8-3

Hmm, less RAM, one less storage disk and half the size at that. No thank you, but i'm taking a look at that Omen, thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neuronyx posted:

Hmm, less RAM, one less storage disk and half the size at that. No thank you, but i'm taking a look at that Omen, thanks!

They both have 16GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD is like twenty-thirty bucks.

E:I guess the laptop ones are fourty-fifty bucks, I dunno, all my HDDs are salvaged from upgrading stuff.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 24, 2021

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

They both have 16GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD is like twenty-thirty bucks.

E:I guess the laptop ones are fourty-fifty bucks, I dunno, all my HDDs are salvaged from upgrading stuff.

I was looking at something else, my bad.

How do you upgrade a laptop anyway? I thought they couldn't be opened?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neuronyx posted:

I was looking at something else, my bad.

How do you upgrade a laptop anyway? I thought they couldn't be opened?

Unscrew the back panel, pop the back panel off, switch parts as needed. Some still have soldered in RAM but that’s the exception these days, not the rule.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Unscrew the back panel, pop the back panel off, switch parts as needed. Some still have soldered in RAM but that’s the exception these days, not the rule.

Huh! Cool. I must be dumber or more behind than I thought, I remember it being more difficult...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I haven't so much as looked at a laptop since like 2014, but the last one I did look at had access panels held shut with a tiny screw so you could access the RAM, CD drive, and HDD at a minimum. Did it get worse, or better, since then?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Neuronyx posted:

What the gently caress is this crypto bullshit still doing around? I hear it's a dead fad but uhh guess it's not that dead if it's still up and running. God drat it.

If you invested $1 in Dogecoin in January it would be worth $6,000 right now. It's a wild and irrational ride that I don't think is going away ever unfortunately.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Neuronyx posted:

Huh! Cool. I must be dumber or more behind than I thought, I remember it being more difficult...

It varies quite a bit by laptop model, generally the smaller and thinner it is the harder it may be. And many newer models make it more difficult. But traditionally for harddrives it was common that you only needed to remove one screw and slide a HDD tray out from the side, then remove four more screws to remove the drive from the tray. For RAM there was often a small hatch on the underside with single screw and the RAM slot was right underneath it. If you want to be sure you google for the service and maintenance manual. Here's the manual for my laptop I happened to download today. It pretty much has complete instructions to take it apart and full parts list.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

That's pretty cool and interesting!

Do you guys think this:
https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-001A-02W84

is better than this?

if so, how? I'm mostly curious if a quad core can be better than a hexa core, if the quad is Ryzen 7 and the hexa is Ryzen 5. I think the gpu is the same between them but correct me if i'm wrong.

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 25, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

South posted:

Finally got my 5900x tonight.

The Micro Center in St. Louis(Brentwood) has 10+ AMD 5900x's left in stock. They will probably be gone sometime tomorrow.

I really wish Micro Center would open a store in the Phoenix area, especially now that Fry's Electronics finally died.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Neuronyx posted:

if so, how? I'm mostly curious if a quad core can be better than a hexa core, if the quad is Ryzen 7 and the hexa is Ryzen 5. I think the gpu is the same between them but correct me if i'm wrong.

The Ryzen 5 system looks better to me, the 5 cpu is a generation newer, runs at a higher clock and has more cores, so should be faster. The asus looks like it has an additional 1tb mechanical hd which might be why the prices are similar?

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Jimong5 posted:

The Ryzen 5 system looks better to me, the 5 cpu is a generation newer, runs at a higher clock and has more cores, so should be faster. The asus looks like it has an additional 1tb mechanical hd which might be why the prices are similar?

Wait, newer? Jesus, I thought the higher number was supposed to be better. That's it, i'm getting old.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Neuronyx posted:

Wait, newer? Jesus, I thought the higher number was supposed to be better. That's it, i'm getting old.

I mean each of the CPUs in the laptops you linked had three numbers describing them and 2 of the 3 were higher in the better example. 4 vs 6 cores, 3750H vs 4600H.

Anyway unless you have a specific need for a laptop I think you’re wasting your time worrying about them.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Butterfly Valley posted:

I mean each of the CPUs in the laptops you linked had three numbers describing them and 2 of the 3 were higher in the better example. 4 vs 6 cores, 3750H vs 4600H.

Yeah but joke's on you i'm an idiot.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kild posted:

Uh, I think around 5 years old, I got it when I bought my GTX 1060

My PS that I bought for my 970-rig has been running for close to an 80% uptime (would be more but I forgot that I’d bought it in 2015 and had literal months away from home). It’s running really well for what became a Frankensteinian monster from cannibalism of older parts sitting around. I have all my files backed up, and may end with some dire OS from a YouTube video just for the fun of trying it out/insane trip report.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
My i5-2500k-based rig is getting decrepit, and it's time to start planning for a new machine. With all the availability problems, would it be smarter to wait for next year and the DDR5 launch than to try and cobble something together now?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Neuronyx posted:

Yeah but joke's on you i'm an idiot.

Component nomenclature is very confusing and opaque to be fair.

fatman1683 posted:

My i5-2500k-based rig is getting decrepit, and it's time to start planning for a new machine. With all the availability problems, would it be smarter to wait for next year and the DDR5 launch than to try and cobble something together now?

DDR5 isn’t going to be widespread or accessibly priced enough to be worth it for normal builders for quite some time yet. The availability problems are primarily affecting GPUs, so you should still be able to spec out a new build easily enough and just carry forward whatever old GPU you have.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I had a false start last year on building my first PC and I think I'm ready to try again. I never actually purchased any components so I am starting fresh. I think I should start by picking a CPU and building out from there. What is recommended for a good gaming PC? Is the Ryzen 5 5600x still recommended, or is there something new out there?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

UmOk posted:

I had a false start last year on building my first PC and I think I'm ready to try again. I never actually purchased any components so I am starting fresh. I think I should start by picking a CPU and building out from there. What is recommended for a good gaming PC? Is the Ryzen 5 5600x still recommended, or is there something new out there?

Do you have access to a GPU, or do you have a lot of patience and a willingness to wait for a new one? Do you want to have the best current gaming CPU? If so, then plan to build around the 5600X.

Do you not have access to a GPU? Do you want to be able to build a system that you can at least use in the interim while trying to get hold of a GPU? Do you want to have an excellent value budget/midrange CPU, which includes integrated graphics? Build around the Intel 11400.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
What's the hotness for ARGB fans? I got a couple of Cooler Master 140mms on sale but they're really loud. I've heard Corsairs are pretty good but they're definitely pricey.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Do you have access to a GPU, or do you have a lot of patience and a willingness to wait for a new one? Do you want to have the best current gaming CPU? If so, then plan to build around the 5600X.

Do you not have access to a GPU? Do you want to be able to build a system that you can at least use in the interim while trying to get hold of a GPU? Do you want to have an excellent value budget/midrange CPU, which includes integrated graphics? Build around the Intel 11400.

I have a 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB in my current PC which I am hoping will hold me over until the great shortage is over. I am aiming for a somewhat "high end" gaming PC so integrated isn't going to work for me.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

UmOk posted:

I have a 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB in my current PC which I am hoping will hold me over until the great shortage is over. I am aiming for a somewhat "high end" gaming PC so integrated isn't going to work for me.

Integrated graphics on a CPU doesn't stop it from being 'high end', it just makes it a viable option for people to get a computer up and running in a situation where they can't get hold of a GPU, like *gestures around frantically at the last 6 months*. You can get high end Intels with integrated graphics although they're not worth it for other reasons compared to the current crop of Ryzens.

In your situation though, great, carry forward the 1060 and get the 5600x.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

What's the hotness for ARGB fans? I got a couple of Cooler Master 140mms on sale but they're really loud. I've heard Corsairs are pretty good but they're definitely pricey.

Corsair fans look amazing and they know it basically. There are the LL and the QL fans with even more lights.

I hear mixing them is a bad idea.

You need a corsair hub so get a 3 pack, that lets you control 6 fans.

If you have a lot of fans a simple PWM hub is nice since they have a separate wire for power.

Some corsair cases come with hubs but many also come with a lower end glowing fan.

You want the QL or LL if you want the real :catdrugs:

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
Looking at picking up a new PC to replace my 2500k build for hobby-level photo editing, 3D rendering, containery development, and light gaming. I'm lucky to have gotten a 1070 from a goon a few months ago, so that'll hold me over till I decide I hate money.

No specific budget, just trying not to get ripped off by scalpers. I'm also sticking to non-RGB stuff because I'm Boring As Hell and the box'll be under a desk (with good airflow). The 5800X is mostly because it seems easier to find in stock, and I don't super want to spend time on waiting lists or watching for 5600X drops.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($447.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($176.08 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($187.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($106.79 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG Dark Tint ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($120.39 @ Already purchased but new)
GPU: GTX 1070 (holdover from current PC)
Total: $1219.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-25 16:07 EDT-0400

Seem sane enough? Is the FUMA 2 enough cooler for the 5800X? I'm also definitely open to prebuilts, but the ones I was finding seemed underwhelming.

The Earl of ToeJam fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 25, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The Earl of ToeJam posted:

Seem sane enough? Is the FUMA 2 enough cooler for the 5800X? I'm also definitely open to prebuilts, but the ones I was finding seemed underwhelming.

Looks very solid. The Fuma 2 is one of the best air coolers money can buy so yeah you'll be fine.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Neuronyx87/saved/

So maybe i'll at least update my GPU. Any suggestions for an upgrade? You know, assuming I can even loving find one. What should I keep an eye out for?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neuronyx posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Neuronyx87/saved/

So maybe i'll at least update my GPU. Any suggestions for an upgrade? You know, assuming I can even loving find one. What should I keep an eye out for?

If you can get a 3060Ti for retail/near retail it’s real good, especially for that price. That basically requires living near a micro center though.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

If you can get a 3060Ti for retail/near retail it’s real good, especially for that price. That basically requires living near a micro center though.

JESUS CHRIST, whoops I should've said my spending limit, my fault. I'm thinking around 600 give or take.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neuronyx posted:

JESUS CHRIST, whoops I should've said my spending limit, my fault. I'm thinking around 600 give or take.

That’s why I said retail/near retail. It’s not supposed to be a 1000 dollar card. MSRP is like 400, but good luck getting one for that. I only got mine for MSRP because I got very lucky in January.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
So, I live within a few miles of a Micro Center, and have now bought / ordered all but my GPU for this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YR2gj2

Anyone else have a trip report from waiting in line for a retail GPU there? I'm hoping to get a 3060 Ti but would be fine with a 3060. Got word from staff that Tu/Th/F are the typical days for GPU resupply.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Alucard posted:

So, I live within a few miles of a Micro Center, and have now bought / ordered all but my GPU for this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YR2gj2

Anyone else have a trip report from waiting in line for a retail GPU there? I'm hoping to get a 3060 Ti but would be fine with a 3060. Got word from staff that Tu/Th/F are the typical days for GPU resupply.

Seems to vary depending on the location. I haven’t taken the plunge and waited in line but I follow the discord for the MC near me in VA and outside some known scalper/line cutter issues and cliques it seems mostly okay, at least compared to some of the other locations that are nuts. Probably worth reading the informal FAQ/rules on the discord for your local store to avoid any awkwardness with the regular crowd.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Butterfly Valley posted:

Do you want to have the best current gaming CPU? If so, then plan to build around the 5600X.
Are we doing this again? :rolleyes:

Cost-optimized for gaming focused builds (aka "the sweet spot") ≠ Best

The 5600X is a fine recommendation and suitable for most people itt, but calling it the best is misleading. There are more expensive chips that can provide higher frame rates in CPU-limited games, they just cost more. If they're only playing CPU-limited strategy games, for examples, there are objectively better CPUs available.

e: no harm no foul, just be mindful of using superlatives :)

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 26, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

denereal visease posted:

Are we doing this again? :rolleyes:

Cost-optimized for gaming focused builds (aka "the sweet spot") ≠ Best

The 5600X is a fine recommendation and suitable for most people itt, but calling it the best is misleading. There are more expensive chips that can provide higher frame rates in CPU-limited games, they just cost more. If they're only playing CPU-limited strategy games, for examples, there are objectively better CPUs available.

e: no harm no foul, just be mindful of using superlatives :)

Eeh, even the highest performance CPUs on the market don't have that much over the 5600X. There are CPUs that are more perfomant in a mostly literal sense. To say that higher fps alone = better, outside of a situation constrained to target maximum performance disregarding all other considerations, is not an accurate use of the term 'better'.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

That’s why I said retail/near retail. It’s not supposed to be a 1000 dollar card. MSRP is like 400, but good luck getting one for that. I only got mine for MSRP because I got very lucky in January.

Ohhhh right okay, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Could anyone explain to me why the mobo cmos would cause my gpu not to be detected?

To clarify, I got a new gpu through RMA and had a hell of a time installing it and getting it detected (had used ddu before hand to prepare for install etc). Fans would spin, but nothing would display and the gpu wasn't detected in device manager. Went through all sorts of steps to troubleshoot and nothing worked untill I pressed the clear cmos button on my mobo. Everything works, but just really confused as to why this would be the thing that solved it.