Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

srulz posted:

So endgame with the related items, who's the best Diablo 2 necromancer equivalent? I just want lots of perma minions, not minions on a short timer like Diablo 3 necromancer.

Crusader with Phalanx and Eternal Union kinda fits what you're looking for, but it's not a viable T16+ build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't say this to be mean, but I say that if you just want to play Diablo II, then you should just play Diablo II.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Star Man posted:

I don't say this to be mean, but I say that if you just want to play Diablo II, then you should just play Diablo II.

No offense taken, but I just want to recreate my childhood fantasy, that's all. Since I heard lots of the endgame items would hugely change your skills and all, and I haven't reached that part yet.

To rephrase: which class can actually do the endgame part by purely relying on their "minions"? Preferably permanent ones.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

srulz posted:

No offense taken, but I just want to recreate my childhood fantasy, that's all. Since I heard lots of the endgame items would hugely change your skills and all, and I haven't reached that part yet.

To rephrase: which class can actually do the endgame part by purely relying on their "minions"? Preferably permanent ones.

Why not just play Witch Doctor? One of its main shticks is being a pet master.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, Witch Doctor has permanent pets, maybe give this a look: https://maxroll.gg/guides/helltooth-gargantuan-witch-doctor-guide

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Yeah, Witchdoctor meets the most requirements.

https://maxroll.gg/guides/zunimassa-poison-dart-witch-doctor-guide
Tons of tiny minions with lots of projectiles but you have to do the attacking.

https://maxroll.gg/guides/helltooth-gargantuan-witch-doctor-guide
Permanent zombie army but you have to cast a spell to unlock your set's damage.

Check the Intro/Core Setup to see which best meets your requirements.

:hfive:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

srulz posted:

So endgame with the related items, who's the best Diablo 2 necromancer equivalent? I just want lots of perma minions, not minions on a short timer like Diablo 3 necromancer.

with the Rathma necromancer set you can have 18 permanent minions (golem + 7 skeletons + 10 revived corpses)

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Awesome, thanks everyone! Now I just need to farm 10 more levels on my Witch Doctor to max him out, and somehow farm all those stuff solo. Do people even actually play non-Season now? Oh well.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
You could always play seasonal. Your seasonal characters will get moved to no seasonal at the end of the season. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy to carry you to max level and help gear you up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You should just roll/rebirth your character on Seasons because absolutely nobody play NS and some bored person in LLJK can powerlevel you to 70 in like 12 minutes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Witch doctor or rathma necro. Most necro build do mages which need recast. Helltooth wd has really dumb minions (so you'll get d2 vibes that way :v:) but at least they stick around.

Edit: did not see the whole next page before replying. Welp

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Demon hunter with the marauders set is sort of a pet build if you're looking for something a little different. And you drop sentry turrets everywhere so they're sort of like pets too I guess?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Yeah, but man... Marauders needs some love. The turrets really need to be able to fire your last-fired-spender on their own with a massive damage bonus. Should also get a huge DR buff and damage buff per sentry deployed.

Also gently caress it, make the sentries follow the player around like zuni pets. Marauders is probably my least favorite set for DH. Followed closely by natalya. Everything is just so overshadowed by GoD now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
IK barb is kind of a pet build isn't it?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Does the IK bonus damage apply to the ancients as well? Even if it does I think the pets would be a pretty small part of your damage output. I would lean towards the necromancer build myself!

Also definitely start a seasonal character. The power curve is totally ridiculous now so it won't take long to get to doing big number grifts.

For me, I haven't played since around season 12, and wow the power creep is crazy. I've never done a WW barb and now I'm spinning to win in rank 80 grifts with something stupid like 250% move speed and it is just silly.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Ok status update:
Just finished creating a Seasonal character, joined the Powerlevelling community, and boom! Got to max level in less than half an hour. Community is actually pretty nice.

Now I'm confused on what to do with my WD. Is there a build that I should use to farm up all the rift stuff with myself having no gear at all? Sorry for all the noob questions.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

LordAdakos posted:

Yeah, but man... Marauders needs some love. The turrets really need to be able to fire your last-fired-spender on their own with a massive damage bonus. Should also get a huge DR buff and damage buff per sentry deployed.

Also gently caress it, make the sentries follow the player around like zuni pets. Marauders is probably my least favorite set for DH. Followed closely by natalya. Everything is just so overshadowed by GoD now.

Marauder Sentries used to auto-fire your spenders on their own, back in the ancient past. It was loving awesome and I loved it, but of course it was deemed bad gameplay and changed.

srulz posted:

Ok status update:
Just finished creating a Seasonal character, joined the Powerlevelling community, and boom! Got to max level in less than half an hour. Community is actually pretty nice.

Now I'm confused on what to do with my WD. Is there a build that I should use to farm up all the rift stuff with myself having no gear at all? Sorry for all the noob questions.

Press Shift-J to see the Season Journey, you can follow those sets of objectives and by the time you complete the fourth one you will get one free full set to start the season with. Also if you join the LLJK community you can poke around for people to help you, though it's a bit quiet now that the rush is over.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

External Organs posted:

IK barb is kind of a pet build isn't it?
IK barb and Inna monk aren't really "pet builds" because the pets are just kinda there for buffs: they don't do any significant damage.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Incoherence posted:

IK barb and Inna monk aren't really "pet builds" because the pets are just kinda there for buffs: they don't do any significant damage.

Same is sadly true of new Rathma necro, all your actual damage is in Army of the Dead and the pets are just CD reducers.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Mind over Matter posted:

Marauder Sentries used to auto-fire your spenders on their own, back in the ancient past. It was loving awesome and I loved it, but of course it was deemed bad gameplay and changed.

They didn't autofire your spenders, they just autofired massively buffed projectiles of their own and the gameplay did suck. You just set up 4 sentries around a room, did what you could to not die, and hoped you got good enough levels/mobs to clear the GR. The fix for that was making them only cast your spenders when you cast them so at least you had to do something to participate in clearing a room.

e: the build was also about 10 GR levels ahead of any other solo build on any other class back when clearing a GR50 would have been a miracle.

KenBearlLOLOL fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 26, 2021

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Yeah, I'm aware of why it got changed and the fact that it was OP at the time. I loved the gameplay of it though, the suckiness is very much a personal taste thing.

Also they did fire your spenders, which I think was why you slotted all of Cluster Arrow, Multishot, and Chakram if I recall correctly. It's been a while though.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Mind over Matter posted:

Same is sadly true of new Rathma necro, all your actual damage is in Army of the Dead and the pets are just CD reducers.

Yeah, I'm using Rathma for jussssst long enough to finally get the "kill 500 elites with Command Skeletons" achievement and then dumpstering the sucker to try CoD Demon Hunter for the first time.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
How do people play CoD builds? I have never seen that many ancient items drop for one class in a season, let alone the right ones. (and all my currency gets spent on making the right ancient weapons)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Did you mean Legacy of Dream (LoD) builds? Most of them are highly specific to a class, although there are a few mainstays you find in every slot.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Cobalt-60 posted:

How do people play CoD builds? I have never seen that many ancient items drop for one class in a season, let alone the right ones. (and all my currency gets spent on making the right ancient weapons)

I think it probably comes down to how much you play, and how you're playing. If you're doing lots of greater rifts on a speed build, at a moderately high level, you can get 5-6 legendary drops every 2-3 minutes. Between that and gambling, it's not that hard to get Ancients, the problem comes when you're chasing that one single Ancient item. You can get Ancients from reforging as well, so once you find a couple of a rare item like a weapon, farm crafting mats and include reforging in Kanai's cube to your daily grind.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Listerine posted:

I think it probably comes down to how much you play, and how you're playing. If you're doing lots of greater rifts on a speed build, at a moderately high level, you can get 5-6 legendary drops every 2-3 minutes. Between that and gambling, it's not that hard to get Ancients, the problem comes when you're chasing that one single Ancient item. You can get Ancients from reforging as well, so once you find a couple of a rare item like a weapon, farm crafting mats and include reforging in Kanai's cube to your daily grind.

Yup. I always upgrade amulets and mighty weapons. I probably should start upgrading some other weapons too but there are so many things that have to go right before I can switch from my ancient BK's. At this point I guess I'm just reforging hoping for a primal while I knock out the last of my season journey.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
The secret to gearing LOD efficiently is the same as the secret to gearing any build efficiently: do more 2-3 minute GRs and spend less time fussing about crafting/reforging etc. If you get to the point you're doing sub 3 minute GR90+ you get 10+ legendaries per rift and eventually some of them have to be good. Also, play in groups with more people of your class if you can.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Mind over Matter posted:

Press Shift-J to see the Season Journey, you can follow those sets of objectives and by the time you complete the fourth one you will get one free full set to start the season with. Also if you join the LLJK community you can poke around for people to help you, though it's a bit quiet now that the rush is over.

This is really good info, thanks a lot. Especially because my free set is actually the Helltooth set, nice! Is it fixed or random? Anyway even if it's random, you probably can just reroll it by remaking your seasonal character, right.

Now I just need to Kadala at least the Short Man's Finger and life is good again.

BTW is the strongest class archetype currently is Whirlwind Barb? 100% of my party leaders nowadays are them, it's crazy how fast they clear stuff.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
For solo speeds or random pickup games the strongest builds are either firebird wizards or GOD (Gears of Dreadlands) demon hunters. FB wiz is a little slower than GOD dh but can run a bit higher GRs. DH is basically a WW barb that can hit everything on the screen.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

srulz posted:

This is really good info, thanks a lot. Especially because my free set is actually the Helltooth set, nice! Is it fixed or random? Anyway even if it's random, you probably can just reroll it by remaking your seasonal character, right.

It's fixed per-class and per-season. So every WD will get Helltooth this season, but a different set next season.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Notably, you can only redeem the free set once per season for each of hardcore and softcore. If you for some reason want to try out a Roland's Crusader build, you'll need to farm it up like normal. Gambling shards and crafting mats are account-wide so a patron character can grind them out while you spend them on the new character. Plus the mainstat on jewelry is irrelevant in a lot of cases so you can share drops through the stash even if they're not ideal.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Started playing again, thanks to the person who powerleveled me earlier.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

keseph posted:

Notably, you can only redeem the free set once per season for each of hardcore and softcore. If you for some reason want to try out a Roland's Crusader build, you'll need to farm it up like normal. Gambling shards and crafting mats are account-wide so a patron character can grind them out while you spend them on the new character. Plus the mainstat on jewelry is irrelevant in a lot of cases so you can share drops through the stash even if they're not ideal.

Mind over Matter posted:

It's fixed per-class and per-season. So every WD will get Helltooth this season, but a different set next season.

RIP, I just realized this after reading on Haedric's Gifts. So what's the best performing "free set" for this season? Just curious.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

srulz posted:

RIP, I just realized this after reading on Haedric's Gifts. So what's the best performing "free set" for this season? Just curious.

It really doesn't matter. Try it out, look up a build using it, and hold onto the random legendaries (including duplicate set items) you find along the way. Around the time you get bored or hit a wall with the free set, you'll have most of the parts for one of the others and just need to target gambling for that last piece or Convert duplicates a few times.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

srulz posted:

Barb; WotW will get you to 50 easy, and 60+ with an Ambo's Pride. Get the BK 2-item set and you're speedrunning 70s. (Still can't believe I'm writing that; still mentally in the place where 70 was push territory and 80 was "stars align" territory.)

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Having sat on it for a few hours, I think you get more dopamine hits for your time by starting with a C-tier set, putting a little work into it until the long-tail thins out a bit*, then putting a little work in to get a high B-tier or low A-tier set and optimize it a bit, then switch over to an S-tier set and dig into that long tail of minor optimization and polish off the last steps of the season journey whenever it starts to feel monotonous so you can feel good about putting it down as "done". It just doesn't feel good downgrading and you don't get 3x the hits jumping 15 Torment levels instead of 5.

* the point where you've got all of the key pieces and most of the supplemental pieces, all of the gems to at least 25, and have some comfortable practice with a variant or two of it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Actually the proper way to play D3 is to rush the most OP class set in the first week then spend the last part of the season putting together gimmicky LoD builds that don't quite work.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Build into rats and 4p push meta (hint: you don't actually have to be good or put in serious effort if you build a ratbarb and a support dh) and get to the point where you have 3k+ paragons and can dump a set of 150 augs on whatever you want to leaderboard with.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

exquisite tea posted:

Actually the proper way to play D3 is to rush the most OP class set in the first week then spend the last part of the season putting together gimmicky LoD builds that don't quite work.

Also I suggest a thread title change. Pyf

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Purely out of curiosity is there any way on the Switch version to display the full numerical amount of HP on enemies like there is on PC?