Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's pretty amazing how he keeps trying to court the Horny And Online demographic for an audience and does not manage to stick that landing at all, and considering how rich the vein of d20 OGL erotic shovelware is and how that endures really says a lot about how bad he is at what he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thanks to everyone for the input on the disabled halfling and his companion, I relayed them to my friend. :)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hostile V posted:

It's pretty amazing how he keeps trying to court the Horny And Online demographic for an audience and does not manage to stick that landing at all, and considering how rich the vein of d20 OGL erotic shovelware is and how that endures really says a lot about how bad he is at what he does.

Can someone fill in some of the greatest hits about this dude? Since he sounds like he has a history.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
From what I can remember back when I first encountered him over a decade ago(probably around 2009 or 2010) was that he's always been an edgelord(I mean the name alone is a clear giveaway) but at the time it felt more in a charming B-Movie or Death Metal way, probably helped that initially he was mostly doing DCC content at first, it wasn't till later that he switched over to LOTFP and he gradually became the douchey kind of edgelord you just hate, though since it's the internet it's hard to tell whether it was him becoming that way or him just revealing his true self

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean before there was even an OSR he was doing edgy satanic stuff which wasn't very good or readable.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Can someone fill in some of the greatest hits about this dude? Since he sounds like he has a history.

He got banned from rpg.net for responding to criticism of his books by posting black magic invocations wishing Satan cause harm to his enemies.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Parkreiner posted:

He got banned from rpg.net for responding to criticism of his books by posting black magic invocations wishing Satan cause harm to his enemies.
that could be such an amazing gimmick in the hands of someone remotely self aware instead of a garbage edgelord

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Like an OSR game or author that embraces the silliness of the satanic panic and writes/stays in character as Bowser's satanist or Simon and Hecubus from Kids in the Hall could be really fun.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 26, 2021

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Like an OSR game or author that embraces the silliness of the satanic panic and is writes/stays in character as Bowser's satanist or Simon and Hecubus from Kids in the Hall could be really fun.

I’m positive that’s what he thinks he’s doing. He’s just not, you know, witty.

I can’t find his actual ban notice for spellcasting, but they do bust his balls about it when they let him back in (before he later earns a different ban).

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

All you need to know is that on Trans Visibility Day he made a big post about how he was transitioning to an Elder God and wanted us all to respect his new tentacley pronouns.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Parkreiner posted:

I’m positive that’s what he thinks he’s doing. He’s just not, you know, witty.

This, but I think it's less that he's not witty and more that he's an obvious rear end in a top hat outside the gimmick.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

that could be such an amazing gimmick in the hands of someone remotely self aware instead of a garbage edgelord

Was this the May Your Womb Be Barren poster or was that someone else?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kavak posted:

Was this the May Your Womb Be Barren poster or was that someone else?
Watch it or you'll be cursed with anxiety and premature balding.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dishaw has also taken weird potshots at Islam in his stuff. He's very much a creature of that early 2000s "if I mock Christianity, no one will notice that my politics are really the same as Rush Limbaugh's" type of white guy

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Dishaw has also taken weird potshots at Islam in his stuff. He's very much a creature of that early 2000s "if I mock Christianity, no one will notice that my politics are really the same as Rush Limbaugh's" type of white guy

Ah, the reason I stopped identifying myself as an atheist, skeptic or gamer by like, 2007.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Does anyone have any suggestions for running a play by post game? I tried one once over discord and it was a disaster, it felt unorganized and people would either not respond and I wouldn't know when to just skip them or respond in weird orders. I'm not sure if using a more traditional platform like a forum would be better.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pick a game that works well in a format where the DM sets a scene and the players respond in whichever order, i.e. D&D with its dependency on a strict initiative order doesn't work all that super well. You rarely want to have to wait for a particular player to give their input, and players should be able to call up the PbP thread at pretty much any point and add something to the proceedings.

I do not know of such a system but I am feeling like GBS' CYOA system is generally a bit of a better setup :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Also ‘Venger’ is the name of the villain from the D&D cartoon show.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AttackTheMoon posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for running a play by post game? I tried one once over discord and it was a disaster, it felt unorganized and people would either not respond and I wouldn't know when to just skip them or respond in weird orders. I'm not sure if using a more traditional platform like a forum would be better.

Play by post unfortunately has a dismayingly low success rate, in dozens I've been in, only one survived more than a few months and is approaching the end, and even then it had a whole year hiatus. Unfortunately there's not much advice to be given in that front.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you want to run something with initiative order combat over forum games, that's doable but you have to edit the rules slightly such that turns just alternate between PCs and enemies, with the players acting in whatever order is most advantageous. The big problem with async is that people are bad about not participating because there's not really any consistent pressure to do so. I've had my best success with it when I have all the players on discord and can PM them reminders to post, but it's still just not that great of a system most of the time.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thinking back on my Band of Blades experience and wondering. Do games like it, with a prepackaged campaign it's purpose made to run, have much longevity/replayability behind them? Do most people even play a given RPG long enough for replayability to matter after one campaign? (I suppose "replayability after a failed campaign" matters too since it's a bit hard to just start over from scratch.)

Considering it partially from a design perspective and partially from a GMing perspective. Format might hold more promise than I thought at the time (and continue to believe), it's just alien to my view of RPGs. Running into it with solo games too, a lot of "here's your writing prompts, run through em all and uh... hope you don't want to play again?".

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I largely play RPGs with just a few specific people, and while I don't think any of the groups I play with would much want to do a prefab campaign of any sort ('establishing the setting' is so intuitive to my friends that they found LANCER to be oppressively metalore heavy), effectively no game gets played more than once. By the time we get through 10 or 15 sessions everybody's pretty much aching to try out some other system that they caught wind of, the trouble is getting enough playtimes together to keep up with the rate of discovery of new things.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If a game offers an experience with zero replay value, but executed at a high level, I feel like I've got my time and money's worth. I don't need to play something repeatedly, in the same way that I almost never rewatch movies, re-read books, or re-play games. There's a handful of RPGs that my group comes back to because they're well-suited to us: Burning Wheel, Apocalypse World et al, Exalted whenever I forget how much I hate prepping for Exalted, etc., and I suspect Blades in the Dark will end up on this list as well. But there's too many good games and too little time to play them all, so I'm happy to see an upwelling of systems that are designed like a torpedo, to deliver maximum impact just once.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Plutonis posted:

Play by post unfortunately has a dismayingly low success rate, in dozens I've been in, only one survived more than a few months and is approaching the end, and even then it had a whole year hiatus. Unfortunately there's not much advice to be given in that front.

Seems to be a big problem with pbp from everything I've read.

My Lovely Horse posted:

You rarely want to have to wait for a particular player to give their input

This is where I struggled. I never knew when to skip a player or wait. I would try to make a post or two every few days but things got a bit muddled with who would respond and who wouldn't

fool of sound posted:

If you want to run something with initiative order combat over forum games, that's doable but you have to edit the rules slightly such that turns just alternate between PCs and enemies, with the players acting in whatever order is most advantageous. The big problem with async is that people are bad about not participating because there's not really any consistent pressure to do so. I've had my best success with it when I have all the players on discord and can PM them reminders to post, but it's still just not that great of a system most of the time.

Really like your first idea, LANCER would work really well for that. I feel like players would want to post more through pbp because it leaves a lot of good opportunities to RP but the consistent pressure thing is probably the biggest factor. Idunno! I want to do more pbp but it seems like I'd just set myself up for disappointment.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Believe it or not as a GM I had the opposite problem when I tried Discord pbp: my two players were so into it that they were posting at all times of day every day and needling me to keep up. Possibly inevitably this quickly burned me out on it and I barely managed to finish the first adventure we did. I literally had one player who would be like texting me on Facebook messenger going 'hey hey we posted our moves go update now now now.'

I think if I did it again I would say a certain 2 or 3 days of the week are the update days, 'you do your moves these days and then I'll update'. The game might move at a snail's pace that way but what I fantasize about is a neverending, slow burn campaign that rolls on for years anyway.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 26, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Two relevant things I've learned:

1. Too much time and energy spent on character creation tends to sap the will to actually post. There are so many PBPs with glorious OPs and webs of relationships between the PCs that don't last long enough to play out. This also applies to mechanically complex games with a lot of choices to make in chargen--lifepaths, building your own superpowers, equipment shopping, and so on.

2. "Old School Primer" style roleplaying where there's lots of back-and-forth conversation to negotiate how you avoid triggering the trap just doesn't work in PBP.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The longest PbP I ever managed to run was Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, which worked pretty well because it's got a solid structure that doesn't need much back-and-forth between players and, as the previous poster mentioned, there's no character generation setup -- you just pick a datafile and go. The GM has to be on the ball to do opposed rolls, but so long as you can manage that you're good. I think the Sentinel Comics RPG would work well for most of the same reasons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tsilkani posted:

All you need to know is that on Trans Visibility Day he made a big post about how he was transitioning to an Elder God and wanted us all to respect his new tentacley pronouns.

And that's why RPG.net banned him the second time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
To be frank you have to be a really huge idiot and/or a really huge douche to get permabanned from RPGnet under normal circumstances, though I do think the admins on that site are way too quick to throw out any other form of punishment like threadbans or temp bans, like I've gotten those for REALLY silly reasons in the past

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Didn't Vincent D Baker have some kind of pbp-specific game system? That sort of thing seems like the way to go rather than tediously taking traditional turns by post.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

PerniciousKnid posted:

Didn't Vincent D Baker have some kind of pbp-specific game system? That sort of thing seems like the way to go rather than tediously taking traditional turns by post.

There was a game he made for Google+, but I don't think he's made a game specifically for PbP.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Hmm maybe I will just not do play by post lol

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Run a game where there's an ensemble cast for like a dozen people - when people don't act is because they're "in the background". I don't know if there's a specific system for that but I've had decent success in threat regard in my games on SA

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The most successful "play by post" game I've ever been in was a West Marches style Lancer campaign over Discord which had something like 20ish players. This worked really well because Lancer combat and Lancer out of combat can be split up VERY effectively, so people would mostly faff around in a base for days (you don't even really need a GM to adjudicate out of combat rolls if everyone is on the same general page and are doing character-to-character interaction) and then go out for a combat mission if they secured a slot with one of the various GMs. It eventually collapsed but it lasted several months and was a good bit of fun, if somewhat reminiscent of the olden days of just straight up text RP over AIM.

This is a long-winded way to say that West Marches style games work really well for PbP, in my limited experience. You do need a pretty hefty chunk of people to get one of those going though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PBP is basically a whole major tradition of roleplay that I at least mostly associate with livejournal RPs. There's definite success stories out there (one of my exes was in a few that lasted years) but from what I can tell the disposition to do synchronous RP and to do asynchronous RP do not necessarily appear in the same person. The Magpies Podcast talked about it in one of their behind the scenes episodes, that some (maybe all?) of the actors learned RP from PBP.

I don't even know if it's harder it's just a different attitude and, probably, audience.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've more or less entirely transitioned to play-by-post. I am much more comfortable writing than speaking, especially writing with time to edit and re-think vs. improvising speech. It's not that I can't do the speaking part, but I tend to avoid actually roleplaying live, reverting to just describing my character's actions.

I can also frequently take ten or twenty minutes away from work any day of the week to post in a PbP, whereas I find it very hard to schedule three hours in a row to do an RPG session.

But. I have to acknowledge that almost every PbP game I've taken part in has ended unsatisfactorily, usually because one or more players peter out and lose interest. I'm not sure if that's a lot worse than live games or not, though, because that's also what's happened to almost every live RPG game I've taken part in, haha. :negative:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The best PBP game I've ever seen was this one over on RPG.net: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/ic-morgrave-high-passing-marks.510667/

It did have something like 95% of a lot of PBPs don't, though. A great GM who was good at getting around PBP limitations and players willing to engage with everything he threw at them.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Everyone wants to have a Blackbird Dreaming but no one wants to post.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Tulip posted:

PBP is basically a whole major tradition of roleplay that I at least mostly associate with livejournal RPs. There's definite success stories out there (one of my exes was in a few that lasted years) but from what I can tell the disposition to do synchronous RP and to do asynchronous RP do not necessarily appear in the same person. The Magpies Podcast talked about it in one of their behind the scenes episodes, that some (maybe all?) of the actors learned RP from PBP.
I started with text based free-form RPs, but they were on IRC or other live platforms rather than play-by-post. The first actual RPGs I played was done via text chat. In the end I swapped to voice exclusively for the reasons other users have identified - the text based games tended to wither and die with greater frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What about a GM-less pbp? Especially something like MF0 Firebrands where much of the game is one-on-one interaction between players.

Edit: If you get bored waiting you can post pictures of your Lego mechs.