Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Piell posted:

It was just an idiotic thinh Larry Kudlow said.

LARRY KUDLOW: Speaking of stupid, there’s a study coming out of the University of Michigan which says that to meet the Biden Green New Deal targets, America has to, get this, America has to stop eating meat, stop eating poultry and fish, seafood, eggs, dairy, and animal-based fats. Ok, got that? No burger on July 4. No steaks on the barbecue. I’m sure Middle America is just going to love that. Can you grill those Brussels sprouts? So get ready. You can throw back a plant-based beer with your grilled Brussels sprouts and wave your American flag. Call it July 4th Green.

Ah Kudlow, how hammered was he at the time

Tibalt posted:

Yeast isn't a plant.

Therefore, yeast is an animal.

Therefore, Beer is Meat.

I'm sure someone has found a way to combine meme streams with a bacon IPA, and theres that liquer made from fermenting milk, but other that that and stuff that exists for no reason other than it is as weird as it is bad, it's all soy boy plant stuff

1glitch0 posted:

I now realize why people in the old days only lived to 30. They were drinking chicken beer.

In the US specifically, it was probably more that the average american drank like 2 quarts of alcohol a day than anything particular to any drinks. Chicken beer is small bier in an era where you could probably find radium spiked applejack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If AOC's district is punitively removed she's more than capable of moving to one of the remaining ones and knocking out the incumbent. New York will inevitably have multiple deep blue districts just because NYC has almost half the state population

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1386766960281673733

Some more commentary that a friend just linked me to...

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm sorry, is this implying that the average american is eating over 500 lb of beef a year or over 1.37 lbs of beef a day? that can't be possible, i refuse to believe it

edit: okay, quick googling shows that some wires getting crossed somewhere. no way does a 90% reduction leave us at 50 lbs a year, based on who you're asking it's somewhere in the range of 5-9 lbs a year

No, the article says that in 2016 average American meat/poultry consumption was 133 pounds per person. Scenario 4 (90% reduction in red meat, 50% reduction in other animal proteins including chicken, pork, dairy, eggs, etc) leaves Americans eating about 50 pounds of total meat per year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just from reading around over the last few weeks the CW seems to think that Zedlin in NY1 or Malliotakis in NY11 are the districts that are going to get redrawn to oust the Rs there

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1386766960281673733

Some more commentary that a friend just linked me to...

Thanks for this.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
AOC is also playing some ball with the Biden Administration and seemingly to me has been somewhat quieter lately unless the media has moved on with the outrage.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Velocity Raptor posted:

I hope this is just me falling for some fearmongering, but I remember a while ago when AOC was starting to shake things up in the DNC there were people talking about them removing her district in order for them to preserve the status quo.

With NY losing one of their reps, is that still a possibility? Or are there other, more likely districts that will be removed?

Ninja Edit: Also yay that RI isn't losing a rep.

This is a very dumb fear, and you should not have it.

There is no one in the entire state of NY who would defeat AOC in her neighborhood. If the NY Dems inexplicably decided they would rather screw around with her district instead of getting rid of a Republican, they would be dooming whichever politician they put her in with.

AOC can also just simply move, I'm pretty sure she lives in an apartment. Politicians move into better districts after the census all the time.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Shrecknet posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking, but are barley and hops not plants anymore?

Without looking into the basis of the claims:

- When beer is filtered (if at all) you need to add something to the beer to improve settling of yeasts/hop bits. One option is irish moss, and the other is isenglass, the latter being from from fish guts. Due to science/engineering any beer is going to retain some tiny amount of those particles so it depends on which one you pick if you want to be vegan or not. No idea what's used at scale, when I made beer I used irish moss (or nothing).

- Some beer is made using malt extract (vs malted grain) and I don't know what goes into the production of that, but it could conceivably have a step involving an animal product.

- Certain cheap beers are made using equine urine, hence the term "horse piss" being applied to your various Budweisers and other cheap beers found globally. Traditionally a pale lager would involve lowering an overly hydrated horse into the wort as it cooled (the warmer temperature would induce release) - regional differences in taste come largely from the animal used (horses differ globally), and I think most of the pale lagers now use factory farmed urine, so that might be what's being targeted.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gatts posted:

AOC is also playing some ball with the Biden Administration and seemingly to me has been somewhat quieter lately unless the media has moved on with the outrage.

Yep, and her involvement has helped lead to a vastly more progressive administration than I could have ever hoped for. So far. She's doing good work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of NY congressmen, this is how all New Yorkers talk, to me.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1385263736441634819

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The "AOC will be redistricted out by Dems" idea was never a real thing. Not only was there nobody who actually said it, but it is also something that nobody in the NY delegation actually wants to happen because:

- The way you "redistrict someone out" is by either carving up their district into one multiple nearby districts that are dominated by the other party (not possible in the Bronx) or forcing two incumbents to primary each other (not something than any Democratic incumbent in NY wants to do.)

- It assumes that the NY state Senate cares way more about AOC that it does about the NY state senate redistricting.

- It is impossible to lose a single seat in the NY delegation due to population decline and then end up losing a district in NYC unless you are drawing insanely pro-GOP districts that stretch from the top of the state and scroll down hundreds of miles to break out parts of NYC.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Velocity Raptor posted:

I hope this is just me falling for some fearmongering, but I remember a while ago when AOC was starting to shake things up in the DNC there were people talking about them removing her district in order for them to preserve the status quo.

With NY losing one of their reps, is that still a possibility? Or are there other, more likely districts that will be removed?

Ninja Edit: Also yay that RI isn't losing a rep.

That was never going to happen. If the state Democrats even wanted to redistrict AOC out (why? the IDC is gone) they would do it by drawing her into a district with another Dem incumbent, who would be pissed at being given a competitive primary just so the legislature could annoy AOC.

Also, the population change is such that NY almost has to lose an upstate GOP seat. The same is true with many of the blue states losing seats, the state overall votes Dem but the areas that aren't keeping up with population growth are more rural and Republican.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Thanks everyone who replied about AOC and redistricting. Glad this is actually nothing to worry about.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Zachack posted:

- Certain cheap beers are made using equine urine, hence the term "horse piss" being applied to your various Budweisers and other cheap beers found globally. Traditionally a pale lager would involve lowering an overly hydrated horse into the wort as it cooled (the warmer temperature would induce release) - regional differences in taste come largely from the animal used (horses differ globally), and I think most of the pale lagers now use factory farmed urine, so that might be what's being targeted.

Subscribe for more Beer Facts

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zoux posted:

Speaking of NY congressmen, this is how all New Yorkers talk, to me.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1385263736441634819

Dr. Sbaitso rear end mf

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
This census result seems to be the best case scenario for Dems. If you look at some of the prior projections (e.g. this map) it could have been a lot worse.

Compared to that map:

- One less seat for both TX and FL than was projected, and no extra seats for AZ, means that there are three less seats for the Republican state governments to gerrymander into a permanent R district. This is a +3 for Dems compared to the projection
- Minnesota and Rhode Island will not be losing a seat. This is a +2 to Dems compared to the projection
- Alabama will not be losing a seat, and Colorado will not be gaining a seat. This is a -2 to Dems.

So overall this means the Dems came out ahead with 3 more seats than they were projected to get. This analysis is assuming the additional seats in each state go to whoever controls the state government, which I recognize might not be what actually happens, but seems like a reasonable starting point. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised with how this turned out.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
That sort of undoes the damage that the guy in charge of the house races for the DNC put us in. The guy I forgot but who has a really appropriate name like Wuss or Flinch or Screwup or something

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
When is that NC body camera footage going to be released?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Zachack posted:

I assume this is bullshit but we used to make vanilla flavoring from beaver rear end so :shrug:

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Seph posted:

- Alabama will not be losing a seat, and Colorado will not be gaining a seat.This is a -2 to Dems.

Colorado is gaining a seat, unless I misread Wasserman’s tweet.

Edit: this one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

When is that NC body camera footage going to be released?

Screened for the family today. Apparently, it's real bad.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1386724782956220421

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
That guy's accent is mad powerful

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Seph posted:

- Alabama will not be losing a seat, and Colorado will not be gaining a seat. This is a -2 to Dems.

Unless the Census Bureau vid is lying, Colorado will get a seat, so this is only a -1.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

generic one posted:

Colorado is gaining a seat, unless I misread Wasserman’s tweet.

Edit: this one

You're right, somehow I missed that. Even better news for Dem-controlled states then; they're now four seats ahead of projections.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Xand_Man posted:

I assume this is bullshit but we used to make vanilla flavoring from beaver rear end so :shrug:

Yeah this is an urban myth.

Also isinglass fining isn't typically used anymore. Macro breweries instead use centrifuges for improving the clarity of their beer.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Excellent save by the democrats on redistricting, despite all odds. :bernin:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
while the census results are better than it could have been, is there an estimate for how many relative seats the gop will gain when retrenching outdated 2010 gerrymanders?

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 26, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

eviltastic posted:

I guess there are necrophagic bees native to Panama that make "honey" out of fresh carrion. Every once in a while mead types joke about brewing something with it. It'd be a jerk move though, as iirc they don't stockpile excess "honey" like European bees (makes sense, the winter in Panama's just a touch milder) so you'd be killing a whole lot of hives.

Is this real or am I missing the joke? Because if that is real, Jesus loving Christ there is no loving God :psyduck:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kaal posted:

I think you mean apocryphal.

It was used but not really used anymore.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kaal posted:

Not even remotely. It's barely used these days but was a common additive for sweets, perfumes, and liqueurs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnaScottJourno/status/1386732075667976192

okay who had literal sanctuary districts on their 2021 bingo cards, im blaming you fuckers for this

https://twitter.com/AnnaScottJourno/status/1386733224320061441

christ, maybe just use that money to give them homes?????

https://twitter.com/AnnaScottJourno/status/1386733804056842243

this is by far the most alarming comment made. literally announcing plans to force the unhoused into this camp

Here come the Bell Riots

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Kaal posted:

No it isn't. It's pretty uncommon these days, but it was definitely a thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum#In_food

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SourKraut posted:

Here come the Bell Riots

If you start treating the homeless like people, everyone else might start demanding better treatment too!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Here come the Bell Riots

And Dick Miller just died last year.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SourKraut posted:

Here come the Bell Riots

Wasn't that set in California too? Like holy poo poo: Star Trek predicts the future

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

while the census results are better than it could have been, is there an estimate for how many relative seats the gop will gain when retrenching outdated 2010 gerrymanders?

I haven’t seen any specifics, but FWIW, since the data won’t be delivered until September 30th, it’s possible that means courts have to get involved, just due to the quick turnaround.

https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1360288919821123589?s=21

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

If you went to a school that wasn't terrible you probably became aware that we treated the natives very poorly but "genocide" is a big symbolic word and mental leap that most people don't make

i mean we went into details, but most of that was junior high and high school.

TulliusCicero posted:

But what of the Noble Trump Voter?! Has the NY Times finally ended their fascist Safaris?

nah, that will be next week.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Lol RIP upstate NY GOP District https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1386764219748585474

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SourKraut posted:

Here come the Bell Riots

Be on the look out for these two.