Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

denereal visease posted:

Are we doing this again? :rolleyes:

'best' as shorthand for 'best intersection of performance and value' is a perfectly acceptable usage of the word. We use it all the time itt, the SN550 is called the best storage for most people even though it's by no means the fastest, ditto 3200/3600 CL16 RAM, etc. When the marginally faster performing CPUs for gaming purposes are 50% - 100% more expensive for the sake of a low single digit % increase in fps in nearly every application, calling the 5600x the best gaming CPU is incredibly uncontroversial IMO. If I'd said 'fastest' I would be wrong. OP specifically mentioned wanting to have a relatively high end gaming CPU and had already scoped out the 5600x, so I was just confirming their train of thought. If they'd mentioned a more CPU intensive use case then I would have recommended something else as the best.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ayy, I finally was able to order a 5600x at MSRP!

I've posted in here several times over the past few months but I guess It's finally time to actually pull the trigger on this thing. Gonna post my parts list that i've been tweaking with goon help one last time for a sanity check. The 1070 is migrating from my current PC along with maybe an extra HDD. Does anyone have thoughts on the Define 7 vs the Define 7 Compact? What am I giving up by going with the smaller option? It's a lot cheaper and I like the idea of a slightly smaller case so I can move my pc to say, the living room for VR shenanigans.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $819.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-26 20:21 EDT-0400
'

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
There is no "keeping an eye out" for a current or even last gen gpu. It's scalper prices, pre-built, or actively struggling for one (MC camping and hoping, shuffling, bb drops). You will not be getting one otherwise.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
In the process of building my system.

My motherboard has 2 slots for nvme drives, a pcie 3 and a pcie 4. My ssd is a pcie 3. Does it matter which slot I use? I would like to keep the pcie 4 slot open for when/if I ever get a pcie 4 ssd.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I wish to purchase more hard drives, and am located in the US.

I want both a larger SSD for gaming, and a couple of large hard drives for cheaper bulk storage.

The current gaming drive is a 1tb ssd, and I have an empty M.2 (pcie 3.0) slot. The hard drives are several 1tb ones.

I don't know what brands are good or anything these days. I was hoping to spend maybe $400-500, maybe more if I get an external enclosure to use while transferring files so I don't have to figure out which physical drive is which letter in window.

Also, the manufacturer's spec sheet says SATA slots 5 and 6 won't work if I plug in something in the M.2, if that affects anything.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s why I said retail/near retail. It’s not supposed to be a 1000 dollar card. MSRP is like 400, but good luck getting one for that. I only got mine for MSRP because I got very lucky in January.

Yeah I’d been looking for months and ended up with a extremely pleasant pre-built from ibuypower sold on Newegg. I prefer to build my own, but I couldn’t find even an older graphics card that would still outperform my 970 rig. I saved a bit not needing a monitor or any new peripherals except for a hdmi to vga cord and a display port to hdmi cord. But it has held up to abuse for almost a month so today I threw away the boxes it came in and will upgrade to Win10 pro tonight! It really is easier to let them build it because my calculations of components + GPU show me hitting right at MSRP per piece, including the RTX 3070.

Edit: Forgot to mention storage. Bitcoiners (a general terms) are now buying up ssds and wiping out inventory just like GPUs. I don’t think you can even buy a 1Tb platter for MSRP already, and big drives are mostly gone. If you need storage for anything besides gaming, I don’t see regular prices on storage right now either. At least CPUs are slightly more available on shelves this week.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 27, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Stan Taylor posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on the Define 7 vs the Define 7 Compact? What am I giving up by going with the smaller option? It's a lot cheaper and I like the idea of a slightly smaller case so I can move my pc to say, the living room for VR shenanigans.

The Compact is smaller front-to-back but about the same height/width and gives up some internal 3.5" drive bays (and about 10lbs of weight). If you're not planning on mounting a zillion HDDs or a crazy custom water cooling loop then the Compact might be the way to go.

I'd also take a look at the Meshify series, though. Lighter still, and airflow focused for better cooling. If you're concerned about noise, you can turn your fan speeds down a bit and still come out ahead in cooling.

South posted:

My motherboard has 2 slots for nvme drives, a pcie 3 and a pcie 4. My ssd is a pcie 3. Does it matter which slot I use? I would like to keep the pcie 4 slot open for when/if I ever get a pcie 4 ssd.

No, not particularly. In theory, by using the 3.0 slot you're sharing bandwidth with anything else hanging off the chipset (the 4.0 slot is wired direct to the CPU), but you'd be hard-pressed to notice anything unless you're using an extremely high performance drive while also stressing the system in some very unnatural ways and looking for the (likely microscopic) difference.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Helter Skelter posted:

No, not particularly. In theory, by using the 3.0 slot you're sharing bandwidth with anything else hanging off the chipset (the 4.0 slot is wired direct to the CPU), but you'd be hard-pressed to notice anything unless you're using an extremely high performance drive while also stressing the system in some very unnatural ways and looking for the (likely microscopic) difference.

Cool, thanks. Nothing else will be on that since I'm not carrying over any of my old drives.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah I’d been looking for months and ended up with a extremely pleasant pre-built from ibuypower sold on Newegg. I prefer to build my own, but I couldn’t find even an older graphics card that would still outperform my 970 rig. I saved a bit not needing a monitor or any new peripherals except for a hdmi to vga cord and a display port to hdmi cord. But it has held up to abuse for almost a month so today I threw away the boxes it came in and will upgrade to Win10 pro tonight! It really is easier to let them build it because my calculations of components + GPU show me hitting right at MSRP per piece, including the RTX 3070.

I feel like the general advice of “don’t buy a prebuilt” needs some heavy asterisks these days. Stuff like ibuypower/cyberpower is all off the shelf parts and won’t block upgrade paths like you used to see in a lot of older/some current prebuilts. It’s more expensive usually (current price issues notwithstanding) but if you’re not comfortable building yourself, the piece of mind is worth it now that you’ve got good choices that you can at least easily tinker with down the road.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

DerekSmartymans posted:

Edit: Forgot to mention storage. Bitcoiners (a general terms) are now buying up ssds and wiping out inventory just like GPUs. I don’t think you can even buy a 1Tb platter for MSRP already, and big drives are mostly gone. If you need storage for anything besides gaming, I don’t see regular prices on storage right now either. At least CPUs are slightly more available on shelves this week.

What do they need SSDs for ?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

taqueso posted:

What do they need SSDs for ?

There’s a new coin that’s entirely based on free hard drive space. Because gotta pump the prices on literally every component!

Zereth posted:

I wish to purchase more hard drives, and am located in the US.

I want both a larger SSD for gaming, and a couple of large hard drives for cheaper bulk storage.

The current gaming drive is a 1tb ssd, and I have an empty M.2 (pcie 3.0) slot. The hard drives are several 1tb ones.

I don't know what brands are good or anything these days. I was hoping to spend maybe $400-500, maybe more if I get an external enclosure to use while transferring files so I don't have to figure out which physical drive is which letter in window.

Also, the manufacturer's spec sheet says SATA slots 5 and 6 won't work if I plug in something in the M.2, if that affects anything.

Get Western Digital stuff. The SN550 is the best NVMe for the money right now and you can get a 2tb version of it. Their WD Blue HDDs are also good for cheap mass storage. The SATA thing might be worth worrying about, it basically means the M2 slot uses the same SATA controller as the regular SATA ports, so if you have something using that slot you lose a SATA port on the motherboard. So if you have 6 SATA slots, and use the M2 slot you’ll be down to 4 SATA ports for other drives. So make sure you’re not going to have more than 4 other storage devices.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 27, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

njsykora posted:

There’s a new coin that’s entirely based on free hard drive space. Because gotta pump the prices on literally every component!

wtf lol

I can't decide if you are pulling my leg or not

e: gently caress https://www.chia.net/faq/

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 27, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

... Aw poo poo.

njsykora posted:

Get Western Digital stuff. The SN550 is the best NVMe for the money right now and you can get a 2tb version of it. Their WD Blue HDDs are also good for cheap mass storage. The SATA thing might be worth worrying about, it basically means the M2 slot uses the same SATA controller as the regular SATA ports, so if you have something using that slot you lose a SATA port on the motherboard. So if you have 6 SATA slots, and use the M2 slot you’ll be down to 4 SATA ports for other drives. So make sure you’re not going to have more than 4 other storage devices.
Okay thanks. I currently have... five drives plugged in, according to windows, my OS drive, my gaming drive, and three platter drives, so if I can get that down to 2 platter drives that should be fine.

Is 5400 rpm fine for watching HD video off of?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Helter Skelter posted:

The Compact is smaller front-to-back but about the same height/width and gives up some internal 3.5" drive bays (and about 10lbs of weight). If you're not planning on mounting a zillion HDDs or a crazy custom water cooling loop then the Compact might be the way to go.

I'd also take a look at the Meshify series, though. Lighter still, and airflow focused for better cooling. If you're concerned about noise, you can turn your fan speeds down a bit and still come out ahead in cooling.

Looking at the Define 7 over the Meshify mostly because of the aesthetics. Prefer a nice blank slab of a tower.

I'll be fine with aftermarket coolers and possibly next year's Nvidia GPU offerings with the compact?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm going to invent a cryptocurrency that uses motherboard chipsets to mine.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

taqueso posted:

wtf lol

I can't decide if you are pulling my leg or not

e: gently caress https://www.chia.net/faq/

Yeah, this has been on my mind for the past week or so ... So now I've semi-panic-bought a 2TB SN550 from B&H. Hopefully it's actually in stock and will ship this week:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1627133-REG/wd_wdba3v0020bnc_wrsn_blue_2tb_sn550_nvme.html

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Yeah, this has been on my mind for the past week or so ... So now I've semi-panic-bought a 2TB SN550 from B&H. Hopefully it's actually in stock and will ship this week:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1627133-REG/wd_wdba3v0020bnc_wrsn_blue_2tb_sn550_nvme.html
... oh I was using pcpartpicker to find places to buy and that wasn't listed. I just ordered one for more from WD directly.

annnnd I didn't make an account so I don't seem to have a "cancel order" option, oh well, it's not THAT much money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this even the right thread to ask about an external hard drive enclosure I can hook up with USB?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zereth posted:

... oh I was using pcpartpicker to find places to buy and that wasn't listed. I just ordered one for more from WD directly.

annnnd I didn't make an account so I don't seem to have a "cancel order" option, oh well, it's not THAT much money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this even the right thread to ask about an external hard drive enclosure I can hook up with USB?

Sounds like a useful question. About computer parts. Ask away (also need to hear this answered; my previous build is a 2015 era with 3Tb storage on three 7200rpm HDDs and 1 128Gb SSD for OS/games.) I am wondering if some of my families older IDE hard drives and SATA III drives can be put in an enclosure because I have several drives and USB to whatever cords stacked next to hubs and plugged in only for large backups.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I just want an external hard drive enclosure is the right term, which I can plug the drives(one at a time is fine) I just ordered into so I can transfer files without having to shut down my computer and play musical cables repeatedly.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zereth posted:

... Aw poo poo.

Okay thanks. I currently have... five drives plugged in, according to windows, my OS drive, my gaming drive, and three platter drives, so if I can get that down to 2 platter drives that should be fine.

Is 5400 rpm fine for watching HD video off of?

Yes.

Stan Taylor posted:

Looking at the Define 7 over the Meshify mostly because of the aesthetics. Prefer a nice blank slab of a tower.

I'll be fine with aftermarket coolers and possibly next year's Nvidia GPU offerings with the compact?

I love my define 7. It’s basically a Meshify when you swing the door open, but you always have the option of keeping it closed.

Plus you can rack like 14 3.5”

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Stan Taylor posted:

Noctua lists the NH-D15 as compatible with the Compact, so you should be pretty safe when it comes to big air coolers.

GPU size shouldn't be an issue either as long as you're not going totally crazy. The longest 3090 I could find in 5 minutes of looking on pcpartpicker (MSI Suprim) should still have about 5mm of clearance.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I love my define 7. It’s basically a Meshify when you swing the door open, but you always have the option of keeping it closed.

Plus you can rack like 14 3.5”

Meshify 2 has the same drive capacity as the Define 7 (they're the same basic internal chassis).

They're both really nice cases. While I went with a Meshify 2 for my recent build, my old system is in an R5 and I might actually put the door back on whenever I get around to turning it into a fileserver.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm going to invent a cryptocurrency that uses motherboard chipsets to mine.

No, gently caress you, that and the RAM are the only two major things I still need to buy. :argh:

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

My point is that not everyone sees the invisible asterisk attached to the word best. Simply adding the word "value" conveys your intended meaning.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

denereal visease posted:

My point is that not everyone sees the invisible asterisk attached to the word best. Simply adding the word "value" conveys your intended meaning.

'Best value' is just as subjective as 'best' is. The 11400 makes a strong argument for being the best value CPU for many builders right now, hence me not adding 'value' to my post. I just think you're overly hung up on small details here, and I bet if I go through your post history I'll find you own a 5800X and you're defending it against my perceived slight against it over the 5600X.

I get your point about invisible asterisks, but pretty much all of the advice in this thread operates on that level. We've spent ages researching our own builds, and are using that knowledge to try to make informed recommendations to other people based on their use case. If we were to acknowledge every caveat in every post the thread would become unreadable. I listened to the poster's needs and recommended the 5600X as the best gaming CPU for them. If you think that recommendation was bunk, then by all means post your own take on it.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Butterfly Valley posted:

I get your point about invisible asterisks
Then we're good man; I'm cursed with a profession that requires a lot of technical writing, so I'm over-tuned for these kinds of things :)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

edit: whoops

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

These crypto losers and scalpers need to be hanged and then shot at the same time. I can't believe they can just gently caress the market like this and there's basically nothing that can be done to them.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
:capitalism:

I'm in the same boat, really wish I didn't have to turn into a professional sneakerhead to loving get consumer grade electronics.

At least I have my old 970 to fall back on. It seems ridiculous that my best bang for the buck until I trip over some miraculous luck is a $300 card I bought 6 years ago.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 28, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
:same:

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010
Are CyberPowerPC any good?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/DBctWyV.mp4

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Zereth posted:

I just want an external hard drive enclosure is the right term, which I can plug the drives(one at a time is fine) I just ordered into so I can transfer files without having to shut down my computer and play musical cables repeatedly.

How about a toaster?

That one may be overkill depending on how often you'll use it, but they make a few different models. Sabrent and StarTech are good brands. If you are reading SSDs or 2.5" drives, one of the SATA to USB cable could work too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CloFan posted:

How about a toaster?

That one may be overkill depending on how often you'll use it, but they make a few different models. Sabrent and StarTech are good brands. If you are reading SSDs or 2.5" drives, one of the SATA to USB cable could work too.
Hm. Looks like it'd work for what i need, and i could plug both of the new hard drives in at once.

Some of the reviews have complaints but i'd be sticking new drives in so no data to lose. Thanks, ordered one!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

GPU's galore

I can't even be mad, honestly. That kinda looks impressive.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zereth posted:

Hm. Looks like it'd work for what i need, and i could plug both of the new hard drives in at once.

Some of the reviews have complaints but i'd be sticking new drives in so no data to lose. Thanks, ordered one!

If you have data loss after one shutdown without things ejecting properly, you’re either the world’s unluckiest person, or that drive was pre-hosed. The “1.8GB” of data loss is telling.

Also, how in the world did he know the drives didn’t eject correctly during shutdown?

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I can't even be mad, honestly. That kinda looks impressive.

I can be mad. SO I AM. :murder:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Neuronyx posted:

I can be mad. SO I AM. :murder:

Is there a stuxnet for bitcoin mining?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Well, I got a shipping notification today, and the tracking number shows that it actually was picked up and is in transit :aaa: I guess I'll see if what I ordered arrives on Friday

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, I got a shipping notification today, and the tracking number shows that it actually was picked up and is in transit :aaa: I guess I'll see if what I ordered arrives on Friday
Hm. The platter drives I ordered from amazon still haven't shipped, maybe I should cancel and get them from this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I'm upgrading my husband's PC for video games and Android emulators, we were planning on spending $800ish.

Ryzen 7 5800x (purchased, $450)
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B ($50)
MSI B550-A Pro ($140)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 (reused from his current PC)
GTX 1070 (reused, good enough for now for his 1080p60 monitors and lol buying GPUs in 2021)

I had a few (hopefully) quick questions:
Do you still need to update the bios on B550 boards, or are they usually compatible with Zen 3 CPUs out of the box? It sounds like it's easy to flash the bios nowadays, but I have zero experience with it and it makes me a little nervous.

I had budgeted for RAM before I realized that he currently has DDR4 already; would it be a big, noticeable jump in performance to buy something newer/faster? If we skip the RAM, I'm likely looking at replacing his 4-year old Corsair PSU (550W, 5yr warranty) instead.