Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

An entire week of the same panel of Jordan and Michelle mashing lips would be hilarious. I know Terry Beatty won't commit to that kind of bit, but one can dream.

e: a shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #137 (1992)

Is there anything in the strip that isn't grist for Mo's neuroses? I'm enjoying the strip, because it's a glimpse into a different world (in 1992, I I didn't know what a lesbian even WAS), but she just comes off as unpleasant. Granted knowing that a significant portion of the country hates your very existence is a VERY good reason to be stressed, but it seems (in my limited reading), that everything is just "this makes ME feel awful, and I will vent about it to everyone in hearing range", like a more political Cathy.

(My reading of Dykes to Watch Out For is very fragmentary, so i could be completely full of it.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

Oh dear.

To be clear, that Far Side is definitely and completely cringeworthy and honestly probably was a bit over the line even when it was published

But I don't think it was particularly mean-spirited and I do cut comedians a little slack, especially ones that have to pump out material as fast and as constantly as Larson did. I'd be curious to hear his take on it now. All the "Native peoples do X" comics are similarly ehhhhhh nowadays

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

both of these are perfect

I love that she's pulling the Philadelphia Flyers mascot "Gritty" out of the drain

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

fondue posted:

B Kliban

Resurrect Kliban and make him collaborate with Řyvind Thorsby.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 13, 1999)

Some people love to rub a certain level of stubble. I've shaved my head a lot of times.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 12/28-30/42

No one will be seated during the thrilling Chief-arriving-at-work scene!

I do like the look of the secretary, though.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

.... hrm.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mikl posted:

Absolutely incredible :allears:

EBB posted:

Yet another one that stumped me as a kid.

Wait, this is supposed to be a reference to something?

A quick google search shows there's a song called "Mack the Knife" so I'm guessing that's it. I never heard of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Rhymes with Orangina

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait, this is supposed to be a reference to something?

A quick google search shows there's a song called "Mack the Knife" so I'm guessing that's it. I never heard of it.

:sigh: It was arguably one of the biggest songs of the 20th century, and was famously covered by Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and Bing Crosby (although almost everyone acknowledges that Bobby Darin did the best version).

e: And of course a McDonald's ad campaign brought it back into prominence in the 80s.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's originally from The Threepenny Opera from 1928 by experimental theatre pioneer and Communist Bertolt Brecht.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

:sigh: It was arguably one of the biggest songs of the 20th century, and was famously covered by Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and Bing Crosby (although almost everyone acknowledges that Bobby Darin did the best version).

e: And of course a McDonald's ad campaign brought it back into prominence in the 80s.

First thing that came top mind for me was it is also the name of a funky Mobile Suit

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Powered Descent posted:

I looked up the song as a kid because of said comic and I felt really cool when I realized it was about a murdering gangster.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight :spooky: Oct. 31st, 1940 :spooky:

Axa

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 23, 1933)

Peanuts (April 29, 1974)

AAAAAAAAAAGAWDAMMITSTILLWITHTHISSHIT!-bean

Crankshaft, in which I'm a little bit fearful where this is going.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 25, 1937)

Out Our Way (July 6-8, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (July 9-11, 1917)

Dok's "Those Goddamn Minutemen Will Screw You Over Every Time" Duck (July 31, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 27, 2021

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 29, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 28, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 1, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 13, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 13, 1935)

Mopsy (January 13, 1937)

Dark Laughter (May 12, 1945)

Get Bent, Beeman. (January 1, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 3, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 3, 1965)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EBB posted:

Yet another one that stumped me as a kid.

Same. I fixated on the fork running away with the spoon and couldn't figure out the joke.

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "Those Goddamn Minutemen Will Screw You Over Every Time" Duck (July 31, 1913)

And thus, the Kid became a stateless person.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 27, 2021

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Drew Cory is going to get murdered in a forest and his organs removed.

Gosh, I hope so.

Not that I have anything against Dr. Drew, but it would be nice if something happened in Mary Worth.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I only got the Mack reference because of the Super Mario RPG boss.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I can't tell if Gunther's doing a bit or if he's being literally abandoned by his girlfriend in the parking lot of a Weenie World while dressed as a pirate.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

I can't tell if Gunther's doing a bit or if he's being literally abandoned by his girlfriend in the parking lot of a Weenie World while dressed as a pirate.
There's a joke that can be assembled here about Gunther being a weenie but I'm not going to be the one to do it.

The Dinette Set is just making sure.

Working Daze is committing to this I guess.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix sadly isn't as outdated as it should be.

Cul De Sac is motivating you!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sep 2, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 30 - May 1, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

I'm assuming the solution involves their glove lacing because that's about the speed these comics seem to run at.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

2017 Spiderman

I see MJ's enjoying herself

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

No Compu-Toon yet! Will upload later if it comes thru.

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Seriously, why did Galen turn into an agitator/saboteur? He arrived in a place where he doesn't know what the citizens' values are, how things work or what their laws are like. He's an arrogant rear end for thinking he has any right to tell people how to live.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft, in which I'm a little bit fearful where this is going.

Ah yes, because the best replacement to drive the special needs bus is Crankshaft, noted guy who takes pride in making kids miss the school bus.

Watterson's talent at conveying expressions is so good. You can really feel Calvin's panic at first and the heartbreak at the end when it sank in that Hobbes is missing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_Tessin

In the book Eerikki manages to calm down the situation with the prince and servant and is invited inside to meet Tessin there. In the comic he seems oblivious by getting in the castle while they are still angry at him.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:allears:
Did you know that Leonardo da Vinci invented the helicopter?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I'm assuming the solution involves their glove lacing because that's about the speed these comics seem to run at.

It's going to be something to do with the phone. Back then they had rotary dial phones, which are impossible to operate with boxing gloves. I'll be damned if I know what exactly they're going for here, though.

Classic Kevin & Kell (December 25-31, 2000)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 16, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 16, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 16, 1989)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
[quote="Pastry of the Year" post="514301519"]
Arlo and Janis

I guess Arlo figured out he wasn't much of a bi-guy early in the relationship.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/26/01

Brenda Starr 5/9-11/46

Smokey Stover 10/13/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bennett Cerf, the founder of Random House, once said that a book titled Lincoln's Doctor's Dog would be a guaranteed best-seller, since Lincoln, medicine, and dogs were all popular subjects (and, naturally, some books have actually been written with that title).

FDR didn't contract polio until he was 39 so he probably did go skating as a kid.

The Hall of Guilt is probably based on the bottom level of the Museum of Natural History, which has numerous glass cases filled with taxidermied birds of America -- including one case of extinct species, like the passenger pigeon and heath hen.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Poil posted:

:allears:
Did you know that Leonardo da Vinci invented the helicopter?

"According to this, da Vinci invented among other things the helicopter."

(I'd never noticed the smaller helicopter circle in the Vitruvian Man :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "33 - Jucika and Honking Prohibited"

"ne tegezzen!=(roughly) Don't talk to me!"

"Jucika Helps Out"

"Ruhatár = Cloakroom / Wardrobe"