Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kassad posted:

They are in, just in the era before that one.

That's what I meant, sorry. They aren't in contemporary because they're in a previous era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Also can you not stay in the culture you were in when moving eras? I imagine you can pick France or the UK and just keep playing them in contemporary era if you feel like it so no need to double down on them

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I found out that rams can upgrade into the scorpions if battle hasn't started yet. Thank you AI for being passive and letting me build up siege engines.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm feeling very called out when the AI doesn't like me because I have the attributes cruel and vindictive

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Deltasquid posted:

Also can you not stay in the culture you were in when moving eras? I imagine you can pick France or the UK and just keep playing them in contemporary era if you feel like it so no need to double down on them

I think the way it works is you have all the cultures you pick throughout the game, so by the end you're the Inca/Celt/German/USSR or whatever

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Am I just getting more used to the game or is Victor way, waaay easier than Lucy? I flattened the AI this go around, ~7.8k fame to the next best's 2.5k.

Also, I seem to have forgotten how to build wonders? I got an alert even, "a wonder can be claimed", but I cannot for the life of me remember where the UI for claiming them is.

Deltasquid posted:

Also can you not stay in the culture you were in when moving eras?

You can, yes.

Gort posted:

I think the way it works is you have all the cultures you pick throughout the game, so by the end you're the Inca/Celt/German/USSR or whatever

Sorta. You retain the bonus but can no longer build the unique emblematic district or (I think?) unit.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Fun fact: it looks like you can scale normally impassible terrain if city districts are connected to each other. What this means is that on one hand you can shift defenders to higher elevations but likewise the attacker can also just ignore all that annoying terrain if they breach the walls and have a foothold.

Also it looks like as of Victor opendev, building walled cities downhill is not much of a disadvantage compared to earlier builds. I've had city militia deal significant damage with just a fence (not even palisade improvements) even when they are downhill or are on level terrain to the Mycenaean promachoi infantry.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Oh hey, there is a thread for this.

I don't like the scenario map very much for OpenBeta Victor, but I enjoy the game a lot. It's...rough in places (it feels VERY easy to vasselize someone which makes you snowball out of control with money income) but the core gameplay is very, very solid.

My only fear is that there seems to be a chance for the game to be effectively 'solved', rendering a lot of the cool choices moot as you just pick the most optimized ones.

Still, the beta makes me very optimistic for the full game when it launches.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Danann posted:

Fun fact: it looks like you can scale normally impassible terrain if city districts are connected to each other. What this means is that on one hand you can shift defenders to higher elevations but likewise the attacker can also just ignore all that annoying terrain if they breach the walls and have a foothold.

The folly of roads.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Also, and I'm by no means an MLG pro or anything, but it seems objectively better to get to 10+ pops in Nomad stage, roaming as 3~ to hunt mammoths for the free pop + 20 influence and then just cruise through the ancient era with all the buffs. Just mass-claim territories, gain tons of military pop, and then decide to make a few cities.

Or, just convert all the scouts to Harrapaens and just vasselize your two closest neighbors with your 8 super scouts

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
been playing some of the Victor Open Dev and I don't know how else to put this but the UI feels sluggish

also is there a way to increase my scroll speed?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Australia's emblematic unit should be a bum with a fist coming out of it

I appreciate this deep cut

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

One consequence of cavalry not being able to attack through walls is that even the sturdy fence that the most basic cities start out with will stop a cavalry unit in its tracks. In other words, even one archer or crossbowman will either win by time out or by attrition if the cavalry stack doesn't stop to build siege artillery or have foot slogging friends or artillery to do something about the guys on walls.

Settlers that you get later on in Early Modern are way better now because they can establish cities that not only have some infrastructure up such as stone walls, they do it without costing influence. Ditto outposts though, they're going to need a lot of influence to turn into cities. Haven't tested out if the razing trick works for bypassing city influence thing yet.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have no idea what I'm doing but so far I've found out that horse archers are exactly as broken in game as they were in real life. I basically don't need to build any military units besides these Hunnic/Mongol hordes

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Also, I seem to have forgotten how to build wonders? I got an alert even, "a wonder can be claimed", but I cannot for the life of me remember where the UI for claiming them is.

There's a button on the screen that lists your cities and outposts that shows the unclaimed wonders. You claim a wonder with influence and then it will show up as a shared project to build.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Danann posted:

One consequence of cavalry not being able to attack through walls is that even the sturdy fence that the most basic cities start out with will stop a cavalry unit in its tracks. In other words, even one archer or crossbowman will either win by time out or by attrition if the cavalry stack doesn't stop to build siege artillery or have foot slogging friends or artillery to do something about the guys on walls.

I mean, it's accurate. One of the main reasons most steppe hordes didn't achieve the success of the Mongols is because they lacked good siege artillery, while the Mongols had excellent SA.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

How’s the AI feeling so far? The tactical AI in civ apparently never quite got to the point where it was challenging to play against and I’ve heard mixed things about the Endless AI as well

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I'll wait for someone who has played Humankind to weigh in, but my experience in Endless games with AI is fairly mixed. I played a fair amount of Endless Legend and Endless Space 1+2, but only ever single-player vs AI so I wasn't exactly up to scratch on competitive strats and whatnot.

At the hardest difficulties, the AI was pretty frustrating to play against, whether you take that as a good or a bad thing. Not that they were tactical geniuses, but most of the time the AI expanded extremely aggressively and much faster than you could. I distinctly remember having to re-load several times in Endless Legend in the very early turns because if you were one turn too slow, you would lose any of the desirable territory even adjacent to your home city if you didn't go hammer and tongs instantly build a settler to claim it, then be completely hemmed in.

You were often effectively railroaded into playing tall and using cheese strats in advantageous bottlenecks to slaughter AI ships/units in order to slowly claw your way into a game. Things felt a little better in ES2, so potentially there were lessons learned (I think we talked about the ludicrous unit/hero spam early ITT). I did always feel like the AI were at least active and 'kept up' and that diplomacy was somewhat relevant as the "devouring swarm" archetype AI would usually make short work of their neighbours and become a threat, and that the AI would be working clearly towards one of the victory conditions.

I have played some Civ games, but never at a particularly high difficulty so it's a bit hard to compare. Still, I didn't feel some big disparity.

They are good about permitting modding and there is an active community of modders which make balance and AI mods, so undoubtedly post-release if the AI isn't challenging enough, somebody will be along to fix that up.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

FrancisFukyomama posted:

How’s the AI feeling so far? The tactical AI in civ apparently never quite got to the point where it was challenging to play against and I’ve heard mixed things about the Endless AI as well

They have beat me a few times.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

It feels fine. I have some gripes about auto-resolve losing you units/battles that you should absolutely in no worlds lose if playing manually, but the actual manual combat feels alright. The AI makes mostly-optimal decisions, but can be baited into doing some dumb stuff if you really want to exploit it. It has a few combat priorities (Archers above all else) so you can mostly make units abandoned their fortified positions by giving them a single path to an archer that they cannot kill and then you just surround and murder it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It still runs like poo poo on my computer because I still haven't food a good gpu. :negative:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1387074161563086854

Jungle Brigades and Agronomy Lab.

I mean, I...guess...?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

You can win defensive wars because AI's tendency to retreat kills its war score which cascades with actual unit stack wipes. Also there's a weird tendency to not use actual unit stacks with AI unit stacks running around in ones and twos instead of whole army groups.

On the defense AI is a lot better but it feels like there's no communication between the strategic and tactical AI. Latter can pull off decent stalemates with city militia if the AI units are on par with you. Strategic AI however can put unit stacks in the worst position and be behind in the tech race which means it's trying to fight arquebus troops with archers, levies, and spearmen.

I've seen catchup mechanics work though. My earliest vassal was fielding arquebus troops and was catching up to me in population and yields due to tech osmosis and not getting its population killed off in wars. The other two probably would catch up in time had the game not ended and I am sure there is going to be a sudden but inevitable betrayal in the horizon if the game had not ended on turn 150 from the vassal.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I left the difficulty at the default level for my second playthrough and I should have gone up a tick. The AI seems happy with 2 or maybe 3 medium-small cities and a bunch of territories. Then the small armies like the poster above said. I'll be interested to see where the pressure comes from at the higher levels, I think it will be the influence stars--all the territories will get gobbled up and I'll lose the early expansion opportunity.

I can never figure out what territories I'm demanding in the crisis screen, are their names on the map somewhere? Also, how can I generate grievances? I was able to grab a bunch of land early and when my neighbours finally took the leftovers I could make demands and then get the war support fired up. Is there any way I can initiate it or is that in a later tech?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Was about to fully occupy an enemy civ but right before that could happen they somehow got vassalized by an unrelated third civ which freed all their cities and ended the war.

Wtf?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

greazeball posted:

I can never figure out what territories I'm demanding in the crisis screen, are their names on the map somewhere?

As far as I can tell, territory names are displayed only when you select an outpost. That's the first thing I wrote down to send as feedback when I finish the Victor scenario: several of the decision panels ask you to choose a territory by name, but the game never gives you an opportunity to learn the names of your territories. It should at least show the names at the higher "paper map" zoom levels!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

Was about to fully occupy an enemy civ but right before that could happen they somehow got vassalized by an unrelated third civ which freed all their cities and ended the war.

Wtf?

Maybe the rationale there is that you wouldn't want to end up at war with their overlord over it.

You'd probably still have preferred some sort of ultimatum from the third civ ("Withdraw from our new vassal or face the consequences") rather than just being forced to back down, though.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

AnEdgelord posted:

Wtf?

I recall Civ IV having a very similar issue with its own vassalage system. It was useful for ensuring a balanced, dynamic game world, but entirely un-fun. Hopefully they dial it back a bit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tree Bucket posted:

I recall Civ IV having a very similar issue with its own vassalage system. It was useful for ensuring a balanced, dynamic game world, but entirely un-fun. Hopefully they dial it back a bit.

the problem with the vasslage system from civ 4 was that computer players can easily (instantaneously) check the vassalization threshold and absorb a weakened state, but the player had to check every turn if their deal was ok. the aggressor should get dibs if another player is about to vassalize their war target, the immediate offer of "vassal + other terms of surrender" gets offered to the player one time. it's not that clunky if you do it this way.

you may not get EVERYTHING you want out of it because it might force you to end the war earlier than you expected, but it's better by far than some other chucklefuck swooping in and messing up your war when it isn't even your turn

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
tbh if I was gonna suggest any solution it would be that you can't be vassalized while you're in a war except through a peace treaty

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Tried out an agriculture run on empire difficulty. AI was competent enough in gathering stars that I had to rush eras in order to secure the agriculture civs up until around the medieval era which was when I snowballed heavily and fast. It feels like agricultural civs are stealth military civs in that because units are the best store of manpower as long as you have the gold to pay them you'll tend to accumulate massive militaries if you're not whipping population on districts and holy sites/wonders.

I focused my religion on producing influence and uh well towards the end I was able to just flat out absorb 5 more cities into my capital to form one giant administrative district. My stability even started drifting to 55% after hundreds of turns at 100% until I built one common district!

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Isnt turn limit 150? How are you doing hundreds of turns

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
1.5 hundreds is still hundreds :smug:

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Aerdan posted:

Jungle Brigades and Agronomy Lab.

I mean, I...guess...?

Why wouldn't they chose Favelas and you gain prestige for spreading them over your territory?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Picked this up for the current beta. What kind of general build order are people doing for new cities? How low can you go with stability before you suffer for it? Can you just spam out a bunch of districts after founding each city or what?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

If you're not military rushing, I would do carpentry > masonry so that you unlock the ability to whip pops to turn into districts and infrastructure. Assyrian or Mycenaean rushing, yeah go for the techs that unlock your unique unit so you can rush down people or win a defensive vassalization war. After that I would go calendar for luxuries and then animal domestication and bronze working for strategics. Tip: put as many citizens on research as possible in order to progress faster in the ancient era.

Build order, do the districts first basically because their yields are higher in general compared to infrastructure until way later. Stability can be higher than 30%, equal or lower then you face possible chances of rebel spawns or outright lose a city. Districts are now soft capped by stability instead of a population hard cap.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This game makes my ryzen 5600x run hotter than a prime 95 stress test, impressive (also dangerous)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This game makes my ryzen 5600x run hotter than a prime 95 stress test, impressive (also dangerous)

Does Humankind have a frame rate limit setting in its graphics options? I remember The Old Republic trying to turn my graphics card into Chernobyl by running the main menu at 1200 FPS

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That was pretty fun and Firaxis are going to have to make some big loving changes to stay relevant, especially once updates, expansions and mods start coming out for this.

This was probably already said after the first OpenDev, but the terrain and the battles are so much more interesting than in Civ. I also like the war support mechanic in the build up although I wish there was a way to just wind them up directly like just demanding gold or calling them backwards inbred or something like that. It felt like I was always waiting for them to claim a territory or found a religion so I could get a grievance against them, I just want to make poo poo up. I also wish there was a way to end the war before war support equals zero, just a payoff basically any option at all. I was winning wars 100-5 and the only option to end it was for me to surrender if I just wanted to end it then. Somebody got vassalized out from underneath me too which was really surprising since I had been at war with them for longer so that's another reason you should be able to get something even if their war support isn't zero, you can get something rather than nothing and the punching bag gets one last chance to fight just one enemy instead of all of them. Gives an incentive to settle these big wars faster if you don't want to end up with nothing too.

The only complaint I have is the same with most games in this genre. It seems like if you want a challenging mid or late game, you have to survive a really tough early game. It's either game over for everyone but me after the middle ages or I get boxed in or quadruple teamed in the classical era. I suppose there are more ways to play this than Civ, so the variety could keep it fun for a bit longer but I felt myself already drawn to a couple of cultures in the first 2 era for their bonuses and I can see it being difficult to change to something suboptimal in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I dig the cyberpunk art

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1389610893638520835