Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Dulce Base conspiracy, that there's a massive government/alien base under a mountain in Dulce, New Mexico is one of the big originators I think. There were some people who claimed to be there and talked about how all the underground bases in the US are connected by train and they are abusing and cloning missing people there. There was also a civil war with the aliens, with fire fights, and I think the aliens won.

Ray gun battles with greys in an underground base is infinitely cooler than literal mole children. I'm sure most of the people who believe in the mole children also think evolution is fake, despite humans devolving quickly to a mole-like humanoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Dulce Base conspiracy, that there's a massive government/alien base under a mountain in Dulce, New Mexico is one of the big originators I think. There were some people who claimed to be there and talked about how all the underground bases in the US are connected by train and they are abusing and cloning missing people there. There was also a civil war with the aliens, with fire fights, and I think the aliens won.

Ray gun battles with greys in an underground base is infinitely cooler than literal mole children. I'm sure most of the people who believe in the mole children also think evolution is fake, despite humans devolving quickly to a mole-like humanoid.

This reminds me of Stargate SG1 where by the end of the series it's like how many hundreds of thousands of people would have to keep this gigantic thing secret for so long? Sure the levees broke in New Orleans, but we're also capable of creating a system of underground train tunnels all over the country. Yet it gets colder than normal in Texas and the entire power system melts down.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

1glitch0 posted:

This reminds me of Stargate SG1 where by the end of the series it's like how many hundreds of thousands of people would have to keep this gigantic thing secret for so long? Sure the levees broke in New Orleans, but we're also capable of creating a system of underground train tunnels all over the country. Yet it gets colder than normal in Texas and the entire power system melts down.
alien big hose attack

alien cold ray attack

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

90s Cringe Rock posted:

alien big hose attack

alien cold ray attack

AND THE GOVERNMENT JUST COVERS IT UP AND PEOPLE BUY IT!!!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Area 51, the 2004ish video game, and Half-Life come to mind.
Sprawling, secret, underground government complexes were always a thing in conspiracy theories, well maybe not always, but often. I mean, after all, like others have said, if you need to assume there is some massive facility but still keep it secret, then building down rather than up is kind of necessary, even without bringing in the secret Satanist tunnels of the Satanic Panic.

I believe it came up in either the X-Files thread on here, and/or perhaps on the podcast the thread recommended about it, The X-Files Files. But basically, while some - myself included - would argue that the X-Files perfectly captures a certain zeitgeist and is in its own way arguably one of the great works of Americana, it's worth noting that the basic conspiracy theories of the X-Files and that cultural milieu were not new. The broad strokes of the conspiracy theories around aliens and the government in the 90s were in many ways a somewhat more left-leaning repackaging of Red Scare beliefs. Instead of a hidden cabal of Fifth Columnist hippies and lefties, you had the Military-Industrial Complex working to undermine society from within, and instead of the Final Boss the secret conspiracy was beholden to being Russia, it was now some nebulous alien threat. But the basic mechanisms by which the conspiracy functioned; vaccines, tampering with water supplies, etc etc, were the same.

Like I've said before in this thread, the basic script for the Great American Conspiracy changes only slightly over the generations and by and large it's just the names of the players that get replaced every 20-50 years.

Yea X-Files is kind of just Bill Cooper's Behold a Pale Horse with the white supremacist parts excised out.

The Dulce base conspiracy is a personal fave, because iirc it's basically where all the alien races send their ambassadors to hang out on earth. I don't remember if I thought of this independently or heard it on Last Podcast on the Left, but it'd make a great setting for a dry work place comedy. Like parks and recs or the office with aliens..

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I hope despite all this nonsense we can all agree there's something weird with the Denver airport.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea X-Files is kind of just Bill Cooper's Behold a Pale Horse with the white supremacist parts excised out.

The Dulce base conspiracy is a personal fave, because iirc it's basically where all the alien races send their ambassadors to hang out on earth. I don't remember if I thought of this independently or heard it on Last Podcast on the Left, but it'd make a great setting for a dry work place comedy. Like parks and recs or the office with aliens..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZfgWdsppVM

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

I hope despite all this nonsense we can all agree there's something weird with the Denver airport.

My kids love the tram there. You can sit in the front and watch it go down the tunnels and it plays music.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ambitious Spider posted:

I think it's worth noting that, as with Lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth, the underlying metaphorical fear behind a good chunk of alien invasion conspiracy theories from the 1990s was miscegenation. One of, if not *the*, primary means by which the insidious alien menace planned to destroy us was through interbreeding with us and poisoning our genepool with their malign influence.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I think it's worth noting that, as with Lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth, the underlying metaphorical fear behind a good chunk of alien invasion conspiracy theories from the 1990s was miscegenation. One of, if not *the*, primary means by which the insidious alien menace planned to destroy us was through interbreeding with us and poisoning our genepool with their malign influence.

Do you remember or are you aware of the tv miniseries V from the early 80's? Lizard people aliens masquerading as and breeding with humans. So, yeah, it's all the same stuff.

I wonder if there is a correlation of people who were exposed to that series and belief in conspiracies? How many true believers are really just subconsciously remembering that show?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Murgos posted:

Do you remember or are you aware of the tv miniseries V from the early 80's? Lizard people aliens masquerading as and breeding with humans. So, yeah, it's all the same stuff.

I wonder if there is a correlation of people who were exposed to that series and belief in conspiracies? How many true believers are really just subconsciously remembering that show?

It's simpler than that. Ron Watkins and the original Q posted on geek websites (like us) so (also like us) they know about geeky stuff like V the series, Clockwork Orange, X-files and all the other sci-fi qanon is lifted from.

Edit : they are just antisemitic neo Nazi's as well as being geeks.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Murgos posted:

I know *of* V. Always kinda meant to watch it.
Wasn't it actually originally an adaptation of It Can't Happen Here that got the fascists replaced with aliens because America?

And honestly, I feel like a lot of conspiracy theory nonsense, funny enough, dates back to Lovecraft being taken as reality rather than the admittedly good, if often poorly written, horror stories of a racist monster. I could be mistaken, but off hand I cannot recall any Chariots of the Gods type stuff that predates Lovecraft.

EDIT: The original Nazis were also weird geeks. Vril, Nazi Occultism, and so on. Maybe because at its heart fascism begins as a sort of romantic and idealistic form of conservatism, and both Conservatism and science fiction (or occultism and religion) are forms of escapism, there's always been a lot of overlap between the two.
If you had shown Himmler Return to Castle Wolfenstein, he'd have basically seen it as a reasonable depiction of reality. A lot of the Nazi 'thinkers' and idealogues were folks who if they were born today would almost certainly be big into sci-fi and fantasy instead of (or in addition to) Western esoterica.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
A huge amount of ancient lore and legends are basically about people being tricked by things that look like humans until they eat you or rape you.

That the people *over there* are somewhat less than human is as old as there being people *over there*. It makes it easier to justify when you kill them and take their stuff.

It's not new with Lovecraft.

edit: The monsters stole your child and replaced it with a simulacrum. That's why it doesn't talk. Has nothing to do with how you beat it when it cries.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 27, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I know it's not new with Lovecraft, but the explicit idea of aliens enslaving or interacting with primitive Humans and being mistaken for Gods is what I'm talking about. Alien abduction accounts are just a repurposing of succubi myths and all that, and yeah, I know how some ancient Han stuff said non-Han 'people' were literally animals masquerading as human beings.
The core tropes and underlying metaphors, fears, and ideas aren't unique to Lovecraft, but the association of aliens rather than demons and spirits as the culprits seems to be. Both in general and the Chariots of the Gods mythos in particular.

And Changelings are probably more a cypher for children with autism or developmental issues than for trauma.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE
I think another possible reason Nazi's are so into conspiracies is that it offers them explanations for losing to people they regard as inferior.

A bit like how religious extremists can label the west as being in league with Satan to explain the disconnect between their propaganda and reality in military, scientific and economic terms.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bill Cooper was a thing before the X-Files existed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

drat you, RoboChrist, for loving up my Half Life joke that I effort posted before I scrolled down even a little bit.

To contribute, don't Q's think there's something weird going on in the Denver airport? Or is that just a general old conspiracy stuff?

1glitch0 posted:

Motherfucker. God drat, self, read the thread.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BiggerBoat posted:

That'll teach them.

USA! USA USA!

On the other hand it did lead to some funny photoshops

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It's kind of funny how quaint the vilification of Bin Laden and the Islamophobia was back then, in comparison. At least in terms of messaging. Before Osama there was the Satanic Panic, and after there was Obama and now QAnon. Before and after were literal Satanic monsters, while Osama was 'merely' Cobra Commander.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's kind of funny how quaint the vilification of Bin Laden and the Islamophobia was back then, in comparison. At least in terms of messaging. Before Osama there was the Satanic Panic, and after there was Obama and now QAnon. Before and after were literal Satanic monsters, while Osama was 'merely' Cobra Commander.

Lol listen to this racist poo poo that Dr. Demento used to play in the early 90s about Saddam Hussein:

https://www.madmusic.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=7017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I know *of* V. Always kinda meant to watch it.
Wasn't it actually originally an adaptation of It Can't Happen Here that got the fascists replaced with aliens because America?

Pretty much. The original V from the 1980s was initially pitched to the network as an adaptation of It Can't Happen Here but NBC was leery of using actual fascists so they subbed in alien fascists. And they didn't even do it subtly: scientists are targeted exactly like Jews during the Holocaust, there's a "Visitor Youth" program that indoctrinates a douchebag teenager who'd totally be a Reddit incel these days, and in case all of that wasn't enough there's a whole subplot of an elderly Holocaust survivor (played by the Baron's Doctor from Dune) whose role in the story to go "hey, do you get it yet?" to the audience. Even the alien logo is a slightly-modified Nazi swastika.

I'm not criticizing the producers for doing this, mind you, it's just very, very obvious what they did if you know the origin of the show.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 28, 2021

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
From Qanoncasualties on Reddit. Haven't heard this one before.

quote:

I love my Q mom. I got the vaccine hoping to finally give her the masked hug she had been asking for, for a year.

I had been waiting for the two weeks following the second shot for me to be able to give her that hug she wanted, I was so excited.

Only to find out that the new unproven conspiracy is that the vaccine sheds and makes people around them who haven had it, sick. I have sent her debunking articles which she won’t read. Although she says she will and never does.

She is now going away on “vacation” to give me time to shed and so she can’t be around me. I asked her when I would stop shedding and she said she doesn’t know and she said she needs for time to pass for more information to come out.

And she is getting all of info through her Q bf who never wanted her to have a daughter. So, He finally figured out the exact thing to tell her to make her afraid to even be around me.

So this is the final nail in the coffin in a relationship I valued and I am so deeply heartbroken. She chose everything else over me and over her grandson. And I did everything to be close to her. She simply doesn’t love me enough.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

To contribute, don't Q's think there's something weird going on in the Denver airport? Or is that just a general old conspiracy stuff?

It has a crazy horse statue and nazi runways.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pretty much. The original V from the 1980s was initially pitched to the network as an adaptation of It Can't Happen Here but NBC was leery of using actual fascists so they subbed in alien fascists. And they didn't even do it subtly: scientists are targeted exactly like Jews during the Holocaust, there's a "Visitor Youth" program that indoctrinates a douchebag teenager who'd totally be a Reddit incel these days, and in case all of that wasn't enough there's a whole subplot of an elderly Holocaust survivor (played by the Baron's Doctor from Dune) whose role in the story to go "hey, do you get it yet?" to the audience. Even the alien logo is a slightly-modified Nazi swastika.

I'm not criticizing the producers for doing this, mind you, it's just very, very obvious what they did if you know the origin of the show.

So, uh... how does the horrible lizard hybrid stillborn baby fit into the fascism analogy?

Also, apropos of nothing, XCOM 2 is basically V as a video game.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Under Biden's new environmental protection bill, we can only eat one ADVENT Burger a month :argh:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

And completely bizarre murals which are wildly inappropriate for an airport and a lot of Illuminati imagery. It's a hell of a thing.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't you malign Blucifer

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

So, uh... how does the horrible lizard hybrid stillborn baby fit into the fascism analogy?

That was from the sequel miniseries which was done with a different production team who needed a deus ex machina for a happy ending.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ambitious Spider posted:

I don't remember if I thought of this independently or heard it on Last Podcast on the Left, but it'd make a great setting for a dry work place comedy. Like parks and recs or the office with aliens..
Men in Black: Nonhuman Resources

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Are the lunatics even doing this anymore, or have they finally given up and gone back to general NWO/ Reptilian conspiracies?

I assume their number shrinks by the day now

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Are the lunatics even doing this anymore, or have they finally given up and gone back to general NWO/ Reptilian conspiracies?

I assume their number shrinks by the day now

The reddits dedicated to support for people who have family members sucked into q still have plenty of horrible, heartbreaking stories daily. It may not be growing, but it's going to last longer than Game of Thrones fandom did.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The reddits dedicated to support for people who have family members sucked into q still have plenty of horrible, heartbreaking stories daily. It may not be growing, but it's going to last longer than Game of Thrones fandom did.

hahah a low bar, indeed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lin Wood has cracked.

https://twitter.com/dappergander/status/1387518456799563776

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

So government-owned publically funded rail is once again efficient and effective.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Argas posted:

So government-owned publically funded rail is once again efficient and effective.

Always was.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you've seen Godzilla vs. Kong, the base and train situation is the same but instead of kaiju's in cylinders, it's half formed hybrids begging to die.

UFO and classic conspiracy theories are just mentally ill people, fraudsters, and/or new age cult leaders riffing on things from mysticism like theosophy but making it about space instead of Tibetans and the Akashic Record. Over time it just keeps combining and being remixed until it all kind of becomes a big metanarrative that people can plug into. I think one reason why Qanon has been so successful is because it's kind of the greatest hits version of older conspiracy theories, complete with shadowy military spook who is trying to let the people know what's going on. Decades ago a crank would go on the UFO convention circuit or on a radio show like Coast to Coast AM or Bill Cooper's show. They would usually misrepresent their military service, or lie outright about it, and then talk about how they were on the USS Philadelphia when it time shifted or worked on flying saucers at Area 51. Most Qanon people have probably heard some aspect of that or were in the new age world so when Q popped up, they didn't need anything explained further. They were just the guy and they knew the rest without needing a long winded backstory that's probably full of holes. Even as Qanon has deviated and schismed on aspects, it's still the big tent movement of conspiracy weirdos. Smart phones and the Internet have pretty much killed cryptozoology and ufology as fields, it's harder to fake pics and it's easier to make out what's in them, they all go to anti-leftist conspiracy theories, which are mostly repackaged anti-Semitic ones, because they're still active and give more of an explanation, to them at least, why society and their lives are hosed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That it’s become popular beyond creeps and the mentally ill is strong testimony to the utter hopelessness and misery of contemporary America.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lin Wood letting Kyle Rittenhouse rot in jail rather than bailing him out because he genuinely thinks he’s safe from the apocalypse there is my absolute fave.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

That it’s become popular beyond creeps and the mentally ill is strong testimony to the utter hopelessness and misery of contemporary America.

supposedly at it's height there were 40+ million people listening to Coast to Coast AM during the 90's. Even amongst my colleagues who are all professionals with a university education there are people who believe in ghosts, aliens, and other various supernatural and anti government conspiracy theories. Not so much the Q anon stuff yet because I don't think it's as popular up here in Canada, but from what I read the QAnon cult is starting to spread up here too and we have our own versions in the first place.

I don't think that kind of thinking has ever been contained to just the creeps and the mentally ill. It's been a part of main stream human thought forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

It's not that bad it's just the effects of a post facts society. Our easy instant communication and ability to say whatever we like has exceeded what some of us can cope with since we don't educate about fact checking and critical thinking until university.

In the age of the internet everyone needs to be taught to be a skeptic. Not a popular idea with the political organisations who get by entirely on lies.