Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I know vaccine shopping isn't exactly smiled upon, but my concern with AZ isn't the risk but the efficacy with variants.

With the age-based rollout in BC, it's all Moderna and Pfizer currently. But with Moderna supply issues and Rich Uncle Joe dumping millions more doses of AZ on Canada, I'm concerned that I'll be offered AZ when my turn rolls around.

I guess I don't see a way to hold out for the mRNA one given the logistics of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Shofixti posted:

Looking for a new therapist after losing faith in my current one for not taking covid seriously enough. I do some searching, contact someone new and I'm offered an in-office appointment. They say it's indoors but don't worry there's adequate distance between the chairs! People actually think sitting and talking together in an enclosed room for an hour without masks is safe provided the chairs are 2 m apart. Not to mention seeing one client after another like that. We're hosed.

This is insane. People interpreting the guidelines like we're living in an Air Bud movie.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gently caress I don't care which one they give me I just want this fuckin dumb poo poo to be OVER

it's too bad that individual rights preclude just making it loving illegal to leave your home if you've been offered a vaccine but refuse it

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Get a mRNA one later if you are worried about it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just get all the vaccines, collect 'em like pokemon. just go loving get it when it's offered.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

refusing vaccination against an ongoing plague should be considered ideological terrorism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i live in the middle of like 3 million people and i would just love to be able to whine about the vaccine i'm being offered, but i can't because i don't qualify for any

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress I don't care which one they give me I just want this fuckin dumb poo poo to be OVER

it's too bad that individual rights preclude just making it loving illegal to leave your home if you've been offered a vaccine but refuse it

Is it over if the vaccine you take doesn't actually effectively work? AZ looks to be terrible at the new variants.

Like, I get it. Better to have something than nothing. People are dying from Vanilla COVID, and everything's hosed. But will we get an opportunity to also get mRNA boosters? Because it looks like variants will take over in the latter half of 2021.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Escape Goat posted:

I know vaccine shopping isn't exactly smiled upon, but my concern with AZ isn't the risk but the efficacy with variants.

These variant risks with AZ are a big maybe, the only one identified that may be an issue is the South African variant. That data was from one study that didn't even draw conclusions about its efficacy against death or hospitalization, only about mild to medium symptoms.

In all other data AZ performs just as well against other variants.

Now, some good news:

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1385513092533178369

Just take the shot. We'll all probably be getting mRNA boosters against variants in the next 12 months anyways. And there's a chance that AZ actually out performs against some future variant over the mRNA vaccines. We just don't know. But Astra Zeneca will provide you with a lot of protection right now.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

There are 100% people in ICUs in Canada right now dying because they waited for "the better shot" and caught COVID in the meantime. That kind of self inflicted stupidity would destroy me as a person. I was hesitant for a split second but thats why I took the Astra Zeneca last week. Just do it.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Another Bill posted:

These variant risks with AZ are a big maybe, the only one identified that may be an issue is the South African variant. That data was from one study that didn't even draw conclusions about its efficacy against death or hospitalization, only about mild to medium symptoms.

In all other data AZ performs just as well against other variants.

Now, some good news:

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1385513092533178369

Just take the shot. We'll all probably be getting mRNA boosters against variants in the next 12 months anyways. And there's a chance that AZ actually out performs against some future variant over the mRNA vaccines. We just don't know. But Astra Zeneca will provide you with a lot of protection right now.

Thanks. That's more encouraging. Just purely out of not wanting to screw things up for others, I'm sure I'll just take whatever I'm offered at first chance. Not really knowing what will happen next regarding third shots and variants etc. just makes this all difficult to think about.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah there's really no point in being that worried about variants right now, since none of the current vaccines will be as effective against future variants.

You'll have to survive that long for it to matter though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Escape Goat posted:

This is insane. People interpreting the guidelines like we're living in an Air Bud movie.
Definitely know some folks out here trying to rules lawyer a virus.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Escape Goat posted:

With the age-based rollout in BC, it's all Moderna and Pfizer currently. But with Moderna supply issues and Rich Uncle Joe dumping millions more doses of AZ on Canada, I'm concerned that I'll be offered AZ when my turn rolls around.

I guess I don't see a way to hold out for the mRNA one given the logistics of everything.

Take whatever sludge they'll squirt into your arm, you're holding up brunch goddamnit we are all safer if we are vaccinated, doesn't matter which one you get, not one bit! Also what is a variant :downs:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The sooner everyone is shot up with whatever crap (I care not which kind since I don't have to bear any of the ill effects) the sooner I can continue to go to the mall, restaurants, the gym, all the poo poo I'm doing now but with less guilt, yknow?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
am i on the ontario proud facebook page?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Anything to get back to normal. Of course by normal I mean the next crisis that grinds the poor into paste while PMCs complain about minor inconveniences or boredom.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

As someone trying to keep an art practice alive throughout the horror of being working poor in covid I would do unspeakable things to be shut up indoors for a couple months while receiving gov't money. That is basically a creation grant.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Saalkin posted:

Yeah mine has been over phone or zoom since the pandemic started. 2 of my friends are also therapists and do everything virtually now too.

I was going to recommend them if you were closer but once things are normal I'm sure you'd like the option to your therapist in person.

thanks friend :) yeah I’m looking for someone local to eventually transition to in person sessions once it’s safe.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The sooner everyone is shot up with whatever crap (I care not which kind since I don't have to bear any of the ill effects) the sooner I can continue to go to the mall, restaurants, the gym, all the poo poo I'm doing now but with less guilt, yknow?

We need to have a discussion about the doomer to antivaxxer pipeline.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm for vaccination but against people shunting off the potential dangers because they won't personally experience them. Someone I know is booked for Pfizer but posts constantly about how great and safe AZ is and they'd totally for sure get it if not for already scheduled for a better one- that's literally speaking from a place of zero credibility or vested interest in the wellbeing of the other person. It's easy to call people everyone else an rear end in a top hat when #1 is well looked after

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
People need to stop obsessing about vaccine branding. Really that's all this is.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Starks posted:

We need to have a discussion about the doomer to antivaxxer pipeline.

wait are we pro pipeline or anti pipeline now? i can't keep track anymore

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

linoleum floors posted:

People need to stop obsessing about vaccine branding. Really that's all this is.

hope you’re ready for, at minimum, 6 more months of this bullshit

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

drat horror queefs posted:

wait are we pro pipeline or anti pipeline now? i can't keep track anymore

It's a pipeline full of antivaxxers, what do you think?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's a pipeline full of antivaxxers, what do you think?

I mean, I'm completely for this if its a literal pipeline and its then filled in with oil.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

linoleum floors posted:

Is the AZ the Diet Pepsi of the vaccine world?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Pibb

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Diet Pepsi is an A tier diet soda, along with Diet Root Beer and Coke Zero, only behind S tier Diet Dr Pepper

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know why they still bother making soda now that you can get that PC soda flavored sparkling water

(in this context I guess that's homeopathy)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xtal posted:

PC soda flavored sparkling water

what?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I always go for presidents choice

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.presidentschoice.ca/product/pc-sparkling-water-root-beer-flavour/21306197_C01

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is madness

what hath man wrought?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
"Wait till happy hour and put rum or burbon in it."

This is why the west family will perish...

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Does anyone here know what brand of vaccines their kid has recieved?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is anything approved for under 18?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Pfizer is 16+

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

infernal machines posted:

No, he means what brand of MMR was given to my kid when they were a baby.

The answer is of course not, that is stupid. Much like worrying about it for yourself, except even more selfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, right on.