Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
aw i liked the flower crown :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kazinsal posted:

College Arlo has certifiable Doonesbury energy.

I think that's just how people looked in the seventies.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 12/28-30/42

Is it just me or does the art look like it's done by an artist and not a cartoonist? I mean, cartoonists are artists but I think there are common conventions they all use and this strip really throws me a "I usually do paintings or scenery sketches" and not three-panel daily stories.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 10, 1944)

The art and story are just so good. Also, doesn't he end up marrying her?

B Kliban

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fondue posted:

The art and story are just so good. Also, doesn't he end up marrying her?

he do

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

They name their first? daughter Valeta, which always makes me laugh.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

fondue posted:

Is it just me or does the art look like it's done by an artist and not a cartoonist? I mean, cartoonists are artists but I think there are common conventions they all use and this strip really throws me a "I usually do paintings or scenery sketches" and not three-panel daily stories.

I haven't been paying attention to this one since I fell behind on the thread by about a week, but iirc one of its many issues is that the artist was a commercial illustrator and had a hard time keeping up with the schedule.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I would like to purchase Spiff's device.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Same, my life would be improved by a degree of protection as well as some atmospheric stability.

We can't all be as daring and carefree as Aaron

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fondue posted:

Yes, McMein was a Real Artist who was best known for doing magazine cover portraits. Her magazine cover work was drying up in 1942 because new printing techniques made it easier and cheaper for magazines to use photographs instead. So Deathless Deer was her trying something new, but as LvK says above, she had a tough time keeping up with a six-strip-a-week schedule.

Seriously, take a few minutes and glance over her biography. She sounds like she was a hell of a lot of fun.

Anyway, on that note:

Deathless Deer 12/31/42 - 1/2/43

Now wait just a loving minute, Narrator. When Deer picked up Bruce at the party, you said he was "a young engineer." Hell, just a few days ago Bruce was telling Prof Hoot they had to "bring the case to the chief" without indicating that he was the chief.

Frappy New Year!

Gratuitous Heroine-in-Her-Underwear scene, 1943 style.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 28, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinketon, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 1st, 1940

amigolupus posted:

Seriously, why did Galen turn into an agitator/saboteur? He arrived in a place where he doesn't know what the citizens' values are, how things work or what their laws are like. He's an arrogant rear end for thinking he has any right to tell people how to live.

I have no idea what his deal is, based on the first story I assumed he was a bit of an rear end in a top hat but also, I assume the pun was intended by Romero and Avenell, the more grounded of the two leader types. He's just gone full-on moustache twirling for some reason.

Axa

Jorge and... Jarge. Yeah, ok.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm going to pronounce Jorge as 'hor-hey' and make Jarge rhyme with large.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

RandomPauI posted:

[quote="Pastry of the Year" post="514301519"]
Arlo and Janis

I guess Arlo figured out he wasn't much of a bi-guy early in the relationship.
"Dude your dad and David Bowie hosed."

It's amazing how many Mo's I've met on Twitter, not like disparagingly but like in a "I have a huge amount of anxiety and all I want to do is scream and worry" way.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hostile V posted:

It's amazing how many Mo's I've met on Twitter, not like disparagingly but like in a "I have a huge amount of anxiety and all I want to do is scream and worry" way.

That's just kind of the human condition right now though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hel posted:

I really want the bottom left panel as a poster.

I'd settle for a desktop background personally. It also looks pretty close to avatar sized, but that image seems far too badass to work as an avatar unless you're like, trying to make fun of someone.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kavak posted:

That's just kind of the human condition right now though.
Yuuuup but it's really interesting to actually see that energy exist and be depicted so accurately in the past.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

God I can just hear Spud using a Distinguished Grown-Up Voice here. :allears:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 30, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 29, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 3, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 14, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 14, 1935)

Mopsy (January 14, 1937)

Dark Laughter (May 19, 1945)

Those Were the Days (January 15, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 4, 1965)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Place_(TV_series)

Wee Pals (August 4, 1965)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

And now, as a reward for those of you who waited, a terrible comic:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Julet Esqu posted:

Do what now

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (May 19, 1945)
This is a dark laugh.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bets is being written out I bet.

I didn't look ahead or anything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm

sorry

what?

God if Gunther does "realize" that he's in love with Tiffany I will lose my loving mind.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Bets is being written out I bet.
I mean, we all knew that was going to happen regardless but Jesus to do it like this is bad even for this strip.

The Dinette Set knows what's more important.

Working Daze realizes that nobody cares.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix could at least buy me dinner first.

Cul De Sac plays the long game.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I believe Bernice is misinterpreting Gunther, and that's the punchline, and also god Luann sucks so much

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah but it's through her misinterpretation that Gunther will realise he's in love with Tiffany - even Bets has realised it! - because that's the worst possible storyline.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Also I'm late to the party on the most hated lists but Luann and Working Daze are 1a and 1b for me. Just absolute dogshit comics

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #138 (1992)

An interesting contrast that has been kind of floating for awhile now comes to the foreground in this one. Harriet gets mad at Mo for her overbearing emphasis on personal lifestyle decisions, but Harriet is the one super busy with committees, organizing, and activism work. Mo really doesn't come out of the break-up looking great-- one of several points in DtWOF where Bechdel kind of seems to position Mo as a cautionary figure, whose rigidity and binaristic thinking is a big flaw (literally, later, when Mo is flummoxed and hostile towards bisexuality as a concept). Or, perhaps, somebody who's pessimism and despair prevents her from making positive and constructive change in her own world, something which would grate against the very very proactive and pragmatic Harriet. Not that going to endless committees necessarily gets a ton done all the time, but you know, at least she's getting out of the house. We sort of see this build up over the course of the strip, structurally-- Mo working at the shop or hanging out, while the supporting characters come and go from various events and actions, which imo becomes more pointed and poignant as they all march towards middle age together. Anyway I was quite a Mo in my twenties-- and even now sometimes my wife will look at me rambling about something and go "ok, Mo"-- and it is good to get out of that anxiety rut. In my opinion Harriet never stops being a fairly sympathetic character, even as she kind of fades into the background a bit.
I think I've mentioned this before, but DtWOF employs a protagonist/heroine split much like Cathy does where the protagonist is explicitly and intentionally problematic and a separate heroine/role model is used to model proper behavior and show the flaws of the protagonist. A severely flawed protagonist is pretty common in long-running comic strips; a secondary hero/heroine less so; the only other one that pops to my mind is Blondie, and maybe Pearls.

Mo is definitely serving as cautionary here. Harriet phrases her complaints as problems that could potentially be solved - to my ear she's leaving openings for Mo to offer to make the relationship more of what Harriet wants. Honest negotiation, basically. Mo, OTOH, even though she desperately wants the relationship to continue (made extra-clear in the last frame) just insults Harriet's complaints and heads off on weird tangents like "why didn't you just go ahead and have an affair".

To some extent Sparrow becomes the secondary character heroine as Harriet fades into the background, which is quite a shift from her initial portrayal as a ditz (still sort of going just a few strips back with the out-of-the-blue Star Trek fandom). She's never as nearly flawless as Harriet, though, and perhaps that's why Bechdel chose to backstage Harriet - it's flaws that drive both comedy and drama. In a melodrama, a flawless heroine can be shown overcoming obstacles generated by others, but Bechdel wasn't writing that kind of (IMO shallow) story.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 28, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghostlight posted:

This is a dark laugh.

It is indeed.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

kidcoelacanth posted:

i lived bitch

wb, nice av

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I mean, we all knew that was going to happen regardless but Jesus to do it like this is bad even for this strip.

Dez's gig is in jeopardy. All the Evanses know to do with spicy girls is write them out.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sep 4, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 4-5, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah but it's through her misinterpretation that Gunther will realise he's in love with Tiffany - even Bets has realised it! - because that's the worst possible storyline.

maybe we'll get the best possible storyline and tiff will just crush gunthers heart even further after having a fun quasi date with ox

or since luann and bernice have shown up we'll have another week of them just not shutting up while eating hotdogs/more of gunther's fries

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Wo-:yikes:

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, my friend Gunther looks upset. Well, whatever lol

gently caress, in pursuit of a lame punchline both characters look like such assholes.

I figure either Bets will continue to "need space" and fade from the comic, or maybe there'll be a saccharine "I needed time but I luv u2".

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

curtadams posted:

I think I've mentioned this before, but DtWOF employs a protagonist/heroine split much like Cathy does where the protagonist is explicitly and intentionally problematic and a separate heroine/role model is used to model proper behavior and show the flaws of the protagonist. A severely flawed protagonist is pretty common in long-running comic strips; a secondary hero/heroine less so; the only other one that pops to my mind is Blondie, and maybe Pearls.

Mo is definitely serving as cautionary here. Harriet phrases her complaints as problems that could potentially be solved - to my ear she's leaving openings for Mo to offer to make the relationship more of what Harriet wants. Honest negotiation, basically. Mo, OTOH, even though she desperately wants the relationship to continue (made extra-clear in the last frame) just insults Harriet's complaints and heads off on weird tangents like "why didn't you just go ahead and have an affair".

To some extent Sparrow becomes the secondary character heroine as Harriet fades into the background, which is quite a shift from her initial portrayal as a ditz (still sort of going just a few strips back with the out-of-the-blue Star Trek fandom). She's never as nearly flawless as Harriet, though, and perhaps that's why Bechdel chose to backstage Harriet - it's flaws that drive both comedy and drama. In a melodrama, a flawless heroine can be shown overcoming obstacles generated by others, but Bechdel wasn't writing that kind of (IMO shallow) story.

I think that Bechdel wanted to write a comic about believably political people, but not necessarily a political comic, and if she were going to continue to develop Harriet we'd actually eventually have to see what went on at her committee meetings and stuff. Ditto the way that rather than zeroing in on Clarice's environmental law stuff we get, in the very near future, the expanded focus on her and Toni's domestic life. Sparrow is great for Bechdel because her eventual arc forces every other character to come to grips with unexpected and unfamiliar new kinds of situations but allows the story to stay within the sphere of friendship and found family and queer kinship stuff. I don't mean that as a criticism, I really like it, and I think the later stretches of the strip suffer when they dip back into everybody just sitting around talking about politics, because, well, there's only so many jokes you can get out of having to live in a cruelly heterocentric world whereas there are I think probably infinite jokes about loving and arguing and raising kids.

I'm really excited for Sydney to come along and to see how people itt react to her because I think she's a great foil to Mo, and such a tremendous pivot from Harriet. She's so eminently suited for a comic that is fundamentally about people sitting around and venting, because she offers such a pointed critique of that while still allowing that structure to unfold unimpeded. She's the kind of great antagonist that sort of digs spurs into the sides of a story to make it gallop faster.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 28, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The thing I love most about this comic is that all the big-talking turbo-patriot Finns flee from the too hot sauna, while Mukku just calmly stays there to carry on the conversation.

Believe it or not, but "I can sit in a hotter sauna than you" is a big thing in dumb Finnish dick waving contests.

I think it's too simplistic to say this is patriotism or nationalism.

The EU was really scary for farmers back then. We had this decentralized small farmer system in place and with the EUs coming it would open them up to competition from the large corporate farms of continetal europe and a load of other free market reforms that would deconstruct a lot of finlands social democratic ways of doing things and privatize a lot of state owned institutions.

One of the most important things Finland negotiated before joining was guarantees that they would get EU subsidies for their agriculture in exchange for joining. At the time of this comic that might still be up in the air.

Lauri at this time is probably genuinely afraid of how he will survive in the new EU future. And who knows if he will, tens of thousands of small farms have gone under since then.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think it's too simplistic to say this is patriotism or nationalism.

Oh I wasn't referring to their dialogue in this comic specifically, although you do make a good point. I was more talking of how every time they're around Mukku it's 24/7 Winter War references and comments about how some guy from a "camelshit coast" can't understand Finland or being Finnish.

And then he out-saunas them all casually. That's got to sting.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (January 1-7, 2001)

Welcome to the new millennium :toot:

If this storyline feels familiar, it's because K&K did a "R.L. is missing, and Angelique is running the company" thing as recently as... A year ago? Two? Something like that.

Wrestling has the seven-year rule, K&K goes for about a decade and a half to two decades. Time is a flat circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 17, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 17, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 17, 1989)