Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cicero posted:

The biggest selling point of Texas isn't lack of state income tax, it's vastly lower housing prices. California can't stop constantly dunking on everyone who isn't already a landowner and it sucks. The whole reason why California has horrible poverty rates is just because of housing eating up all the wages.

Unfortunately, California has a ton of pseudo progressives who care a lot more about street parking and MY NEIGHBORHOOD CHARACTER than helping working or middle class families. Every time there's movement to allow more housing supply they pop out of the woodwork to scream gently caress you, I was here first, go somewhere else.

California liberals: I support the poor and environment!
Also California liberals: why can't those people go somewhere else? Why don't all the tech companies relocate their jobs somewhere sprawly rather than build anything higher than two stories here?
This is exactly why I left CA to Texas. I was already getting priced out of my hometown of Sacramento, and with the Bay Area exodus home prices have gone up 20% in some areas.

California Liberals are just the worst. They "support" everything while resisting any kind of change that would benefit anyone. Its the state of NIBMYism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

eSporks posted:

California Liberals are just the worst. They "support" everything while resisting any kind of change that would benefit anyone. Its the state of NIBMYism

that's just liberals in general

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
seriously

all of the people who say there's CalExodus because of taxes are boomers who will never leave because they pay zero loving dollars in property tax on their unearned windfall

the real people leaving the state are people who have enough money to move and are employable enough to expect to find a job, but who can never, ever afford a house, like the "healthcare pls" wojack but it's saying, "3bdrms so I can have a family pls"

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah I got some bad news for the OP about Texas liberals, same poo poo.

And driving through Central Texas and seeing all the development going on with new big family homes taking up more space than they should, it definitely seems like history is repeating itself.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Infinite Karma posted:

No joke, the reason I've heard cited is that Congress doesn't want to change that formula because they can't physically fit more members in the building for floor votes, and they'd need to have over 1000 members to get to parity.

Yeah, it's so dumb. Imagine Congress turning its nose up at an opportunity to spend billions making a bigger House chamber! (Also, wtf, the current building fits all the Reps, plus, all the Senators, plus a pile of guests in the gallery for State of the Union speeches. It can totally fit more.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If we reverted back to the original formula in the constitution we'd be at like 4000 hours members which would frankly rule.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The "oh where would we put them" is a fun excuse, but the real reason is that there are 435 people who don't want to dilute their votes. More representation means each individual lawmaker is that much less powerful.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The "oh where would we put them" is a fun excuse, but the real reason is that there are 435 people who don't want to dilute their votes. More representation means each individual lawmaker is that much less powerful.

it also means they might be expected to be more responsive to their constituents if they were representing 50,000 rather than 750,000, which is exactly what they don't want

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It would possibly allow for more diverse membership since you could feasibly elect people from the TRUMP FIRST party or the DSA...

I wouldn't mind televoting with a third of the membership away for community engagement and outreach poo poo.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 28, 2021

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Abolishing the senate would free up some space, just an idea

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I love to be a stalwart defender of democracy who also uses the size of a room built in the 19th century as the limit for how much democracy is ok.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

adoration for none posted:

I think the ground farted just now

yeah that was a small one lol

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

I won't disagree, but CA Liberals get the added bonus of being in "the most progressive state." It's a lot easier for them to keep up their denial.

There's also a lot more progressive policy for them to complain about.

Bizarro Watt posted:

And driving through Central Texas and seeing all the development going on with new big family homes taking up more space than they should, it definitely seems like history is repeating itself.
Oh, I know.

I've actually seen some actual leftism here though. People are pretty pissed about Elon trying to buy a city, making bribes, and wanting to destroy wildlife habitat.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CPColin posted:

Yeah, it's so dumb. Imagine Congress turning its nose up at an opportunity to spend billions making a bigger House chamber! (Also, wtf, the current building fits all the Reps, plus, all the Senators, plus a pile of guests in the gallery for State of the Union speeches. It can totally fit more.)

Yeah it owns that bourgeois aesthetics are so completely bankrupt that they can’t imagine a large, modern, functional space that isn’t just bigger, gaudier, more oppressive classical architecture. Trump!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FCKGW posted:

If we reverted back to the original formula in the constitution we'd be at like 4000 hours members which would frankly rule.

Can you imagine how many absolute basket cases would be in Congress? C-Span would immediately become the best channel on television.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Weembles posted:

I love to be a stalwart defender of democracy who also uses the size of a room built in the 19th century as the limit for how much democracy is ok.

the capitol, like much of california, is staunchly apposed to high density housing

build up, stupid!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kenning posted:

Can you imagine how many absolute basket cases would be in Congress? C-Span would immediately become the best channel on television.

yeah good thing we don't have any insane basket cases in congress now

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

sb hermit posted:

I kinda wanna try skyline chili for the novelty of it

No, you really don’t.
Trust me.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah good thing we don't have any insane basket cases in congress now

Lets not use ableist language to insult the very sane but very evil shitlords in congress.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Lets not use ableist language to insult the very sane but very evil shitlords in congress.

the most notable rising stars in congress, greene and boebert, are very much batshit crazy imo

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

when u think of it, all adjectives are descriptive and hence exclusionary by nature

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Shear Modulus posted:

the most notable rising stars in congress, greene and boebert, are very much batshit crazy imo

Yes I realize you don't want to give up the downward punching terms you use on people you don't like, but you can do better.

Unless you're a trained mental/behavioral health professional in which case could you indicate what your diagnosis is for them and how they meet that criteria.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Yes I realize you don't want to give up the downward punching terms you use on people you don't like, but you can do better.

Unless you're a trained mental/behavioral health professional in which case could you indicate what your diagnosis is for them and how they meet that criteria.

What are the diagnostic criteria for "batshit crazy"? I can't find it in the DSM

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

This kind of trolling erases indigenous, non-western, and colonized/oppressed modes of thinking and approaches to mental health.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what words would you use for the lady who thinks forest fires are caused by jewish space lasers? "poorly informed?"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jaxyon posted:

Dog, I'm inclined to agree with you that it sucks to use mental health language as an insult, but holy poo poo the phrase "do better" is like the most cliche toxic discourse bullshit. Of course, I'm assuming you actually want to intervene in good faith and aren't just trolling a bit, in which case carry on.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Shear Modulus posted:

what words would you use for the lady who thinks forest fires are caused by jewish space lasers? "poorly informed?"

"Forest fires are caused by energy, and light is a form of energy, so WaPo's Glenn Kessler awards that claim one Pinocchio."

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Honestly California is the one of the only states that pitches in state funding to do extra outreach for the census. It could very well be that california came out waaaay ahead of texas and there's a massively larger undercount in texas and other states.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kenning posted:

Dog, I'm inclined to agree with you that it sucks to use mental health language as an insult, but holy poo poo the phrase "do better" is like the most cliche toxic discourse bullshit. Of course, I'm assuming you actually want to intervene in good faith and aren't just trolling a bit, in which case carry on.

I agree. "do better" responses seem very low effort with respect to the change that the speaker actually wants to see.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Well yes, except that Texas does allow endless suburban sprawl to satisfy housing demand. Bad for the environment, but good for people's pocketbooks.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

No, you really don’t.
Trust me.

well, if I have to travel to Ohio (which could be pretty likely this year when the pandemic lifts), I have to look forward to something. I guess it'll have to be white castle.

On the other hand, I've never tried waffle house...

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Shear Modulus posted:

A sucker

E: and the Queen of Karens

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 28, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Centrist Committee posted:

This kind of trolling erases indigenous, non-western, and colonized/oppressed modes of thinking and approaches to mental health.

It's not trolling and if someone is an expert on non-western approaches I'd be happy to hear them.

But we both know this is more about not wanting to give up downward punching insults.

Kenning posted:

I am serious but I have absolutely zero belief that it will do anything because if there's one thing goons love it's calling people they don't like "crazy" and "fat" and I've got at least 2 or 3 red text titles because people got really mad about having to give them up.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Is this fat-shaming?
https://youtu.be/t2mU6USTBRE

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

please ensure you're using the committee-approved term "person whose beliefs have dubious scientific merit" when referring to members of the fascist death cult that are destroying the planet

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

if someone is an expert on non-western approaches I'd be happy to hear them.

How magnanimous of you!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

How magnanimous of you!

Keep on punching downward, nobody is going to be able to tell you what to do!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

It's not trolling and if someone is an expert on non-western approaches I'd be happy to hear them.

But we both know this is more about not wanting to give up downward punching insults.

I think it's your use of the term "downward punching insults", because criticizing those in power is not generally seen as "downward punching".

The criticism comes from your co-opting that term from other groups that would genuinely be seen as oppressed, as mentioned:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crazy

"marked by thought or action that lacks reason"

I dunno man. I'm repeating the same point made multiple times in this page but I dunno what other term would work better in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

sb hermit posted:

I think it's your use of the term "downward punching insults", because criticizing those in power is not generally seen as "downward punching".

The criticism comes from your co-opting that term from other groups that would genuinely be seen as oppressed, as mentioned:

It think you don't understand this as well as you think do.

It's downward punching because it punches at marginalized groups while claiming to be upward punching. MGT has about a billion things that can be made fun of or insult her with without saying something ableist. Or sexist(not that I've seen that done in this thread, but I have elsewhere). It's the fact that ableist language is used that makes it downward punching, not the target.

In the same way that fat-shaming Trump is downward punching in part because it bodyshames and fatshames. You're telling people you claim to ally with that you're not actually allies, you're in fact just withholding your hatred of their bodies because you like them, but as soon as they're on you bad side you're going to be shaming them too.

It's like using racial insults against Ben Carson. Or deadnaming/misgendering Caitlyn Jenner because you hate her politics.

The main difference is that people here are not OK with transphobia or racism, even in those instances, but are OK with ableism and body shaming as long as the person they're doing it to is a bad person.

edit: OH A DICTIONARY DEFINITION I know we that I have a serious thoughtful nuanced debate now :rolleyes: