Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

low key sex master posted:

Oh no no no sorry - my uncle doesn't have cancer. Because cancer the disease hasn't been cured (and I mean all cancer) he won't get the vaccine

I probably could have been more clear tbh

Oh lol god drat what a dumb rear end haha

That is probably the dumbest reason I’ve read (today).

RIP your sweaty uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

boar guy posted:

if my pinball places enacted vaccine passports at 5 pm today i'd be there at 5:01

I tried explaining that isolating from people who aren't vaccinated yet makes sense from literally every angle you look at it, and I got something like "oh so the vaccine doesn't even prevent you from getting covid? I thought vaccines were supposed to make you immune I guess they are lying about that too" in response

bless his heart

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

MarcusSA posted:

Oh lol god drat what a dumb rear end haha

That is probably the dumbest reason I’ve read (today).

RIP your sweaty uncle.

yeah my mom said each time she talks to him he comes up with a different excuse: apparently Pfizer and Moderna don't work for people his size or something i don't even know

i was going to visit him this summer but nah, I ain't risking that

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

man all this vaccine hesistancy sure is bumming me out. i was thinking we'd be mostly back to normal by Halloween or Thanksgiving, lol

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

yeah my mom said each time she talks to him he comes up with a different excuse: apparently Pfizer and Moderna don't work for people his size or something i don't even know

i was going to visit him this summer but nah, I ain't risking that

I'm 245 pounds and 5'8 or 5'9 and fat as gently caress and it definitely punched me around enough that it should've worked.

boar guy posted:

man all this vaccine hesistancy sure is bumming me out. i was thinking we'd be mostly back to normal by Halloween or Thanksgiving, lol

It's feasible that we might see normalcy for vaccinated peoples by then. It's getting kids vaccinated that's going to be the ringer.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I made a new, updated version of my total deaths graph, with extra annotations. Feel free to steal this and use it as ammunition in your very important internet arguments. (I tried to dumb it down as much as possible.)

My hope is it'll at least sow seeds of doubt in conspiracy theorists, because convincing them is probably impossible. A lot of conservatives are still hell-bent on claiming (a) Covid19 isn't very deadly, and (b) deaths are being wrongly categorized, for money.

That's why I'm using Total Deaths, because alive vs dead is a lot harder to fudge. :v:

This is taken directly from CDC/NCHS. I cut off 2021 around week 6 because this data lags by, like, months sometimes.

Enjoy, goons.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/28/brazil-rejects-the-gamaleya-vaccine

Russian_QC.txt

quote:

OK, now we need to talk about how you make big piles of virus if you’ve kept them from replicating. That’s an interesting question that has a slick solution: you’re going to be using human cells (often the HEK293 line) to expand your virus production, and what you do is engineer those human cells so that they make the missing E1 protein that the virus needs to replicate. So as long as you’re growing up virus in these engineered cells, you’ll make more, but if they infect normal human cells that haven’t been jiggered to make a key viral protein (as in when you inject them as a vaccine) they’ll stall out on replication immediately. Problem solved!

Mostly. There are still places where this can go wrong. Double-stranded DNA breaks, which can happen more or less randomly, are generally repaired by processes called “homologous recombination” and “nonhomologous end joining”, and these can lead to mix-and-match behavior between DNA from different sources. This process can be deliberately harnessed for gene editing – that’s what the classic CRISPR enzyme Cas9 does – but it can also be a source of trouble in a system like this one. There is a chance that the occasional viral particle might be able to regain the DNA sequence for the E1 protein by picking it up from the human-cell background. If that goes right (well, wrong), then that will turn it back into a replicating virus, and that’s just what it will do in your cell culture tanks.

This problem has been recognized for many years, of course, and no one’s forgotten about it. There are assays to screen for this sort of thing, and every time work gets going on a proposed new viral vector, updated assays are developed to screen that one, too. You can dive into these references for details on how to engineer both your viral vectors and your human cell lines to cut down on the chances of this happening as well. This is an accepted part of the vector vaccine production process.

Which is why the news that the Sputnik vaccine contains replicating adenovirus was surprising and unwelcome. As mentioned, this is probably not going to cause big problems in its vaccinated population, but it’s a completely unnecessary risk. And if such a vaccine is going into tens of millions of people (or more), it seems certain that there will be some people harmed by this avoidable problem. If you’re going to make a replication-competent vaccine, make one and run the clinical trials with it, and if you’re asking for regulatory approval for a replication-incompetent one you shouldn’t show up with an undefined mixture of replicating and non-replicating viral particles instead. This sort of thing calls into question the entire manufacturing and quality control process, and I can see why the Brazilian regulators are concerned.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

boar guy posted:

I thought the same thing around this time last year.

"All we have to do is all be cool and quarantine for 4-6 weeks."

Ha. Hahahahaha.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boar guy posted:

Daily vaxx numbers are steadily dropping off in the US

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

New Hampshire's graph is the worst of them all, they are done with this whole vaxx deal

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

boar guy posted:

man all this these vaccine dipshits hesistancy sure is are bumming me out. i was thinking we'd be mostly back to normal by Halloween or Thanksgiving, lol

I still think we should scrub "hesitancy" as a descriptor.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

New Hampshire's graph is the worst of them all, they are done with this whole vaxx deal

so glad the usual suspects can't loving help but to politicize every loving thing under the sun

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

What's the reporting lag on this? Because I'm hoping this is at least partially a reporting lag. Hoping desperately.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

What's the reporting lag on this? Because I'm hoping this is at least partially a reporting lag. Hoping desperately.

I hope the "pause" on using Johnson and Johnson is also part of the dip.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

depending on the state, the phased rollouts were unnecessarily complicated and too drawn-out. it should have been, 1) old & sick/immunocompromised, 2) public sector & health care workers, 3) everyone else. i think a lot of people stopped paying attention to the nuances once the big news splash in Dec-Feb died out

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I think this was mentioned in the other thread, but could it be because we are on the tail end of people who are privileged enough to be able to have time away from their jobs/responsibilities to go out and get vaccinated? If anything else, we should try to make it easier to be vaccinated?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 28, 2021

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Laterite posted:

depending on the state, the phased rollouts were unnecessarily complicated and too drawn-out. it should have been, 1) old & sick/immunocompromised, 2) public sector & health care workers, 3) everyone else. i think a lot of people stopped paying attention to the nuances once the big news splash in Dec-Feb died out

Hopefully some of the states and sites that are transitioning away from appointments for shots and just letting people walk-up will help some of the folks on the edge get it, the people who seem to be only interested if it's super easy and convenient.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/news/nation/2021/04/27/private-miami-school-wont-hire-employees-who-get-covid-19-vaccine/4855194001/

cool, cool

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You can take the title of The Absolute Worst out of Florida's cold dead hands presumably

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I think this was mentioned in the other thread, but could it be because we are on the tail end of people who are privileged enough to be able to have time away from their jobs/responsibilities to go out and get vaccinated? If anything else, we should try to make it easier to be vaccinated?

It may also just be that a significant portion of people have been vaccinated now and that people are waiting 2nd shots or starting to trickle in. Or maybe even some are waiting for their kids to be able to get it so everyone in the family can schedule together.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Re: cancer cures, ironically mRVA vaccines are actually a bleeding edge cancer treatment from before COVID even reared its ugly head.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Or it's people with weird excuses not getting it, like my friend waiting for a dead virus version of the vaccine for some reason? I didn't get into it with her as to why exactly.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

To be fair, New Hampshire's rapidly declining numbers are almost certainly at least partially due to the fact that they've already vaccinated more of their population than any other state in the mainland, with 60% of people there already having received one shot. They've also used a full 91% of the doses on hand (again higher than any other state): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html#by-state

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got my 2nd pfizer shot three days ago. Arm was sore that initial night. Woke up fine, and have been fine. Thankful I had no side effects, I need every PTO I can get for an upcoming surgery.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Or it's people with weird excuses not getting it, like my friend waiting for a dead virus version of the vaccine for some reason? I didn't get into it with her as to why exactly.

I mentioned how easy it was to get an appointment to someone and got loudly told "I'M NOT GETTING VACCINATED TIL COVID IS OVER."

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Turbinosamente posted:

That seemed like potentially a good bet at one point but it died the second those Pfizer shots went into Senators' arms and the poor dead-virus performance in Chinese trials slammed the coffin shut on it.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Unlucky7 posted:

maybe, or maybe everyone remaining is just gonna be that way

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
About 18 hours out from AZ #1. nasty headache, body soreness, nausea, chills, fever at 101.3

would stand in line again for 4 hrs

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

The "official" infection and death rate is way too low and there's got to be a shitload of mutations that are occurring also, which is going to make it worse

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of, I just get this sense of dread I haven't really felt so far throughout this pandemic that we're going to see numbers of tens of thousands dead every day in India alone :(
I get that news are always going to spice up and make things seem worse than they actually might be, it's still so mindfuckingly depressing to read about...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ben shapino posted:

My cousin seems to think vaccinated people choosing not to hang out with unvaccinated people is "discrimination"

I can only steer the conversation away from this poo poo so many times, why are people like this

Well it is.

It’s just that it’s cool & good discrimination.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Well it is.

It’s just that it’s cool & good discrimination.

You know that stupid rear end Faith Not Fear poo poo?

Discretion not Discrimination.

Greggster posted:

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of, I just get this sense of dread I haven't really felt so far throughout this pandemic that we're going to see numbers of tens of thousands dead every day in India alone :(
I get that news are always going to spice up and make things seem worse than they actually might be, it's still so mindfuckingly depressing to read about...

The world posted slightly under 15,000 deaths due to covid yesterday. When India's numbers start reporting better, it's gonna be bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Philthy posted:

Got my 2nd pfizer shot three days ago. Arm was sore that initial night. Woke up fine, and have been fine. Thankful I had no side effects, I need every PTO I can get for an upcoming surgery.

Fwiw California passed a law that if you have side effects from the vaccine your sick time is supposed to be compensated.

I guess it’s supposed to be back dated to Jan 1.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw California passed a law that if you have side effects from the vaccine your sick time is supposed to be compensated.

Yes, it showed up on my last paycheck. Here's hoping I never need it!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They should have just said the vaccine makes your dick 4 inches longer and every redneck would have been first in line.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Philthy posted:

They should have just said the vaccine makes your dick 4 inches longer and every redneck would have been first in line.

umm im pretty sure it would still be libs getting the vaccine and chuds mocking them for it

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

MarcusSA posted:

I know a guy who also has cancer and he’s finishing his treatment and the doctor won’t give him the vaxx till he’s completely done with the treatment.

Its probably the doctor telling him that :shrug:

That's in line with the current guidance. If you need to have surgery the guidance is to try to get you fully vaccinated before it takes place, but otherwise it recommends waiting until after treatment is complete.

I finished chemotherapy a year ago and no-one really knows how well the vaccine will work for me. I had my first shot three weeks ago but I know I can't rely on the vaccine alone.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
My uncle has not gotten the vaccine. He claims he is not opposed to vaccines since he gets the flu shot but wants to “see how things progress”.

I don’t understand it. He’s older, has underlying health issues, and is (up until this point), smart. He goes to the dr, follows up, and has made lifestyle changes to offset diabetes risk and cholesterol/blood pressure. But nothing. My dad is the opposite. He ignores doctors, ignores his health issues, basically ignores everything. He has rendered himself to using a walker because he ignores getting PT. He continues to drink even though he has kidney issues. Yet he actually got the vaccine which is huge since it meant he left the house. The last update I got from my mother (fully vaccinated) was he refused. Just found out he got it. So yea?!

I’ve tried talking to my uncle. Nothing works so it is what it is. I found out my closest friend’s brother had Covid and is still on supplemental oxygen months later. He’s younger than me and that is scary to be a long hauler.

So yeah. My husband and I go next week for our second shot. I really hope more get it and we can resume the new normal.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pyrtanis posted:

About 18 hours out from AZ #1. nasty headache, body soreness, nausea, chills, fever at 101.3

would stand in line again for 4 hrs

I had similar with my AZ jab on Monday, was mostly recovered at 24 hours

My queue was 5 minutes though :whatup:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Our company gave us 4 hours to use to get the vaccine, and 2 weeks we can use if we test positive and miss work.

Nothing for the side effects tho.

I suspect if this becomes a yearly booster shot and side effects still happen then they'll add a day.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Got my first AZ shot about an hour ago, and am already very tired. I expected that though, I react strongly and quickly to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I want to chime in and say that my friend got his final chest reconstruction surgery this month and he was only required to get tested ; this is one of those people who claimed " I already had it (January 2020) " He absolutely does not have the vaccine, they put him under the knife
It might just be FL but absolutely do not assume even baseline safety practice really anywhere