Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

This FJR1300 is looking pretty great.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FJR1300a-2008/164801979421

It's 8 miles away and I am absolutely gagging at the bit to take a look, but COVID travel restrictions mean I can't take a look right now (have to wait till the 26th of April at least).

Stupid question: how expensive is it to add cruise control to a 2008 FJR if it did not come with one?

Went and took a look at it today. Guy who has it has a massive double garage, where he and his son likes to work on bikes and cars. His son was actually wrenching on his car as we looked at bikes. He's currently taking up electric mountain biking, and he's 50+! You can see the mountain bike has had good use too. He was also wiring up an electric rack for his SUV to hold the mountain bikes. Knows his stuff clearly.

Anyway, the FJR is in excellent condition, no rust, kept beautifully clean.

Heated grips, electric windscreen, started up first time. Recently had the cam belt replaced, and a full service.

He offered me a test ride, I said, "let me come back next time, ready to buy and I'll take you up on the test ride, you can ride Fat Bob and I'll ride the FJR, perhaps to Doune and back". He's totally cool with that and isn't in any great rush to sell it.

We didn't talk numbers but I suspect he'll let it go happily at £2500 which would be a steal.

SOMEONE BUY MY HONDA 125!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steakandchips posted:

Went and took a look at it today. Guy who has it has a massive double garage, where he and his son likes to work on bikes and cars. His son was actually wrenching on his car as we looked at bikes. He's currently taking up electric mountain biking, and he's 50+! You can see the mountain bike has had good use too. He was also wiring up an electric rack for his SUV to hold the mountain bikes. Knows his stuff clearly.

Anyway, the FJR is in excellent condition, no rust, kept beautifully clean.

Heated grips, electric windscreen, started up first time. Recently had the cam belt replaced, and a full service.

He offered me a test ride, I said, "let me come back next time, ready to buy and I'll take you up on the test ride, you can ride Fat Bob and I'll ride the FJR, perhaps to Doune and back". He's totally cool with that and isn't in any great rush to sell it.

We didn't talk numbers but I suspect he'll let it go happily at £2500 which would be a steal.

SOMEONE BUY MY HONDA 125!

This is the kind of PO you want to buy from.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I really want it, but need that Honda to sell first.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I'm starting the research/salivating for a second bike and could use some input. I'm pretty sure this exact question gets asked on here a lot and I've read the info-dumps before but since bikes are exciting I'd love for the experienced goons to shower me with knowledge for the thousandth time.

What is your favorite dual-sport bike that you'd push someone toward? I'd like to do trail-riding but also load up some bags or hardshell cases and take off for a bit too. I was looking at things like the DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, KLX250, CRF450, all of those bikes. It won't be just for offroad so I don't want something entirely purpose-built that can't handle my weight and cargo over modest distances, meaning I don't want a little 125 or something. But if I'm totally wrong with that opinion I'll listen of course.

I think the consensus has usually been "get a DR650" for this kind of post but I love goon words.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thoughts on a CRF250L vs other alternatives? Something to ride to a dirt road without needing to trailer it.

Others I’m kind of keeping an eye on are the KLX230/250 and maybe DR200 or DRZ400. Really depends on what pops up used locally for a price that falls into somewhat impulse buy territory.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A crf250l weighs the same as a dr650. Food for thought.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Currently considering an FJ-09 or Tiger 800 XRX/some other street oriented variant.
Lots of riding will either be a short commute or a good chunk of highway miles before getting to more curved roads. Occasional day or road trips and/or bike camping.
Previous bike was an FZ6. Loved it. The riding position and power were perfect for what I needed.
I'm looking at those two because I like the aesthetic, they have a similar riding position, slightly higher displacement, and more farkles than the FZ6. The stock center stand is a huge plus. I also like the smaller amount of plastics as compared to a sport tour.
I'd be doing my own basic maintenance (oil, chain, etc).
Any thoughts on these?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tiger 800's are largely terrible imo, questionable reliability combined with lackluster riding on and off road.

The Yamaha is everything you're imagining, just get that. There is no reason to get a euro anything, let alone a Triumph, if you're just looking at objective stuff, and I can tell you firsthand the Yamaha rides a great deal better too.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I joined a couple Tiger groups on Facebook when I bought my 955i (this whole sentence speaks to how much I hate myself), and the 800 is the most talked about bike I see there. And it’s always about something going annoyingly wrong with it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Looked up a couple long term review videos and yikes. Condensation building in the headlight assembly & indicators. Cam chain tensioner needing replacement. TFT display going out. Paint on switches rubbing off. All that and more within just six months of ownership.

I did see some recalls for the fj-09, but I'd just have to make sure the bike has had that taken care of. Might spend a bit more and go with the tracer. Slim pickings out here right now.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I just put a deposit down on a black Rebel 1100. DCT + that engine + that weight + under $10k was just too compelling. Cheap to insure too.

I have over 20k miles all over Colorado and New Mexico on a CTX700N DCT and it has just been crazy reliable, the only downside was lack of TC and power.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Very cool bike but very much too high of a price

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Very cool bike for someone else to own

Agreed.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I want a DR like that one so badly. But gently caress paying $4000 for it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Very cool bike but very much too high of a price

That's pretty consistent with the used pricing I found when looking for a dual sport recently. The secondhand market is hosed right now for everything except used office furniture.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

that pearl sand khaki looks nice, how do those compare to to DR650s?

*edit*
460lbs, I didn't realize they were that heavy

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 28, 2021

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

its all nice on rice posted:

Looked up a couple long term review videos and yikes. Condensation building in the headlight assembly & indicators. Cam chain tensioner needing replacement. TFT display going out. Paint on switches rubbing off. All that and more within just six months of ownership.

I did see some recalls for the fj-09, but I'd just have to make sure the bike has had that taken care of. Might spend a bit more and go with the tracer. Slim pickings out here right now.

Apart from reliability, the Tiger engine is extremely boring (apparently less so for the latest models) while the FJ09 engine feels like an angry nest of bees.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Buddy just got one of those for like $300. He likes it because it's a DR, but gently caress kickstart only forever. I had misty eyed dreams of getting a kickstart bike for simplicity since I didn't mind the klr I had for a few days. Couldn't kick over the DR in a few tries and completely lost interest.

4k gets you a very nice second gen DR I don't know why that person priced it that way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve been considering trading my SV in for a DR650, but maybe I should just sell it for cash.

Although that’s still the “really hot housing market problem” that even though I’d get more for the SV, every DR is also more.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The bike market here stinks. 4k will get you an mid 2000s R6 or F4i or something but if you want a DRZ or a road legal dirt machine get ready for prices approaching MSRP.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I was looking last night and people are asking 7k for used Ninja 400, 6.5k for R3, and even nearly 5k for Ninja 300 :wth: dealers must being doing crazy markups. Is this chip shortage fallout? I’m looking at the website for the dealer down the street and all their list prices are MSRP. Maybe that’s just to get you in the door.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dealers are experiencing an uptick in sales but they're not really gouging as far as I've heard. It's the used market that's crazy because (for the most part) bikes are below "new" prices so people still think they're getting a deal because a dealer would be X more (even though you're getting a new unmolested bike with a warranty etc).

And I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's not poor people who are taking up new expensive hobbies so anyone who could previously afford a side hobby is now flush with money because they're not commuting to work etc. Hell, I saved 10k in transit costs last year, that more than paid for my bike brand new.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dealer price is MSRP + 3k worth of bullshit fees.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I just sold my 2018 450 EXC-F six days which had an MSRP of 11,699 but I bought new for 10k. I sold it for $8750. I had multiple offers between 8k and ask. I had some suspension work done and some aftermarket bling and put on brand new plastics so it looked shiny but... that's just insane.

Used dirtbike prices are even worse than regular bikes. Folks are asking MSRP for year old two strokes.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
On the plus side maybe the used market will be sweet as in a year or two

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I had known I would have sold my Ninja 250 for $5000 I wouldn’t have given it to my friend for $200.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That DR650 price is bonkers for sure I just thought it was crazy there was a DR that old with only 500ish on it. That kickstart really scared the poo poo out of some owner(s).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Dealer price is MSRP + 3k worth of bullshit fees.

Last time I went to a dealer it was because I was looking for some peg springs. I put VFR passenger pegs on my Hawk because they are a nice fit but, being passenger pegs, they didn't have springs so I had to work something out. I figured hell, they're just simple torsion springs, surely any motorcycle shop has a bunch of them just sitting around in a bucket?

"What kind of bike is it?"
"Well it's the 88 Hawk GT out there but the pegs are from a VFR."
"Okay so VFR peg springs" (looking on phone)
"Yeah, but...they're passenger pegs so they don't have springs. I was hoping to just see if you had something about the right size that I could make fit."
"...so you don't know which ones you need?"
"You know, like I have a machine shop I can use to do the work on the pegs if I need to, I just want to get some springs that are vaguely the right size and shape. Like these (pointing at the used Ninja beside me)."
"...so you want Ninja springs?"
"Something like that. Do you have any generic ones that are just about that size? For any bike?"
(still poking at phone) "Yeah man I can order you the Ninja springs but they only come with the pegs, it'll be uhhhh 40 dollars and they'll be here next week."
"You haven't got any springs of any sort sitting in the parts department?"
"I don't know, the service guy is out today, but you can call back on Monday"

I can order springs myself on Amazon, thanks. What's the drat point of a physical store with a parts counter if they don't keep stuff in stock?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m looking at the bill of sale for my N650 right now and the only fees I paid were title to register. Was literally MSRP + tax + registration. I guess this is out of the ordinary? Because that’s pretty much what I would have expected to pay and nothing more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

honestly i should just get some music wire and learn to make springs myself. it seems like a useful skill

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

On the plus side maybe the used market will be sweet as in a year or two

I bought a bike this year though, how is that supposed to help me jk I’ll never stop buying bikes

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Martytoof posted:

I’m looking at the bill of sale for my N650 right now and the only fees I paid were title to register. Was literally MSRP + tax + registration. I guess this is out of the ordinary? Because that’s pretty much what I would have expected to pay and nothing more.
Sounds like a good deal, maybe they rolled it all into the MSRP or something? Looking at an old bill of sale for a bike I bought once, they had this itemized list of bullshit, I've only bought from a couple dealers so not sure how common this is or if this one was more garbage than usual:

Sale price
Freight
Handling
Tire tax ($2)
License fee
Dealer DOC
Safe tire (should have called them out on this still no idea what the hell this is)
Tax

Not going to post the actual numbers because I know I'll probably rightly get made fun of :mad:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Even the manufacturer's websites tell you that there's a destination charge and that it can be arbitrarily higher than whatever they list it as

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Dealer uuuuggghhh

I think the problem isn't that they don't keep parts in stock, it's that the parts desk people are trained to look up x part for y year of z bike and asking them for "anything that looks like this" is making them step outside of their skillset. If you're lucky you'll get one you can give the exact mfr part number and they won't make you go through the whole song and dance LIKE loving CANADIAN TIRE, gently caress

If you super luck out, and get the person that either gives a poo poo, or has been around long enough to develop some flexibility/have learned how to do parts desk before the modern ordering systems were put in place, you don't go anywhere else ever any more.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Martytoof posted:

The bike market here stinks. 4k will get you an mid 2000s R6 or F4i or something but if you want a DRZ or a road legal dirt machine get ready for prices approaching MSRP.

Huh maybe I should sell my DR350SE when I get back in the states (no way, it's fun as gently caress)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

If I had known I would have sold my Ninja 250 for $5000 I wouldn’t have given it to my friend for $200.

Ouch

Sagebrush posted:

honestly i should just get some music wire and learn to make springs myself. it seems like a useful skill

If you're going to get to that point you may as well start 3D printing your own guns + mags

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Last time I went to a dealer it was because I was looking for some peg springs. I put VFR passenger pegs on my Hawk because they are a nice fit but, being passenger pegs, they didn't have springs so I had to work something out. I figured hell, they're just simple torsion springs, surely any motorcycle shop has a bunch of them just sitting around in a bucket?

"What kind of bike is it?"
"Well it's the 88 Hawk GT out there but the pegs are from a VFR."
"Okay so VFR peg springs" (looking on phone)
"Yeah, but...they're passenger pegs so they don't have springs. I was hoping to just see if you had something about the right size that I could make fit."
"...so you don't know which ones you need?"
"You know, like I have a machine shop I can use to do the work on the pegs if I need to, I just want to get some springs that are vaguely the right size and shape. Like these (pointing at the used Ninja beside me)."
"...so you want Ninja springs?"
"Something like that. Do you have any generic ones that are just about that size? For any bike?"
(still poking at phone) "Yeah man I can order you the Ninja springs but they only come with the pegs, it'll be uhhhh 40 dollars and they'll be here next week."
"You haven't got any springs of any sort sitting in the parts department?"
"I don't know, the service guy is out today, but you can call back on Monday"

I can order springs myself on Amazon, thanks. What's the drat point of a physical store with a parts counter if they don't keep stuff in stock?

Parts departments at a dealer don't usually have random poo poo just laying around, it isn't reasonable to expect them to just have random springs in stock. Who would order those, and why? The people there are office workers and 90% of their time is spent on stuff the mechanic can point to (and grunt) on a diagram, stuff on the reorder list, and insurance claims. Normally people lose the springs when they break pegs, so they often come with packaged with the replacement pegs. Not saying the guy there wasn't a dick though, they always are.

What you're looking for is either a wrecker, which I don't see mentioned anywhere but would be a great place for this, or just wandering around back to the workshop and asking the mechanic to rummage through his bucket of springs he got by doing peg replacements, from all those times the peg breaks but the spring stays trapped. The guy on the phone could've cared more and asked a mechanic but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

or just wandering around back to the workshop and asking the mechanic to rummage through his bucket of springs he got by doing peg replacements, from all those times the peg breaks but the spring stays trapped

I was there in person and I figured it was obvious this is what I wanted by asking the guy if there were any springs sitting in back. The fact that the guy up front either was so disconnected from the back that he didn't know they would have random leftover parts sitting around, or that he didn't care enough to find out, is why dealers suck. The mechanic around the corner, who just works on bikes, fixed me up.

That's my only point. Maybe the mechanic in the back understands the bikes but the guys in the front of the house apparently don't care if they're selling motorcycles or washing machines.